• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2001 Honda Insight

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

It is what it is

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "Pays for itself at the pump."

Cons: "Only two seats."

"The biggest complaint people have about my car is that it's too low to the ground and therefore hard to get in and out of. I have to agree with this statement. I find it very comfortable once I'm in though, unlike the Prius which I can't fit in at all. I'm a 6'3" 320lb man. I've always felt like it needed a better suspension system. They aren't kidding about the 350lb max load. Once two adults are in, it drastically changes the dynamics of the car. Needless to say, it becomes a very bumpy ride. But overall I love this car. I can't imagine though, how I would feel about the automatic version of this car. It would probably be really slow to me. Also, even though I drive it crazy and I load it way over the max load, I still get 45-52mpg consistently on the highway and 35-43 in town."

Amazing little car!

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Amazing MPG, well engineered, excellent durability"

Cons: "Only 67hp forces you to modify how you drive!"

"My Insight is about to turn over 300K and it's been a wonderful car. I average about 60-65mpg, but in the right conditions it can do significantly better than that. If you're considering buying an insight, do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading the articles and forums at Insightcentral.net. The dealers and mechanics don't know much about these cars and insightcentral will save you lots of headaches with incompetent service people. Every detail of this car was optimized for light weight and aerodynamics in order to make it as fuel efficient as possible. Sadly, in the twelve years since this car was introduced nobody has stepped up and tried to make a car that comes anywhere near it's efficiency. This is an excellent road trip car. Do the math. 10.5 gallons of gas in the tank will get you at least 600 miles at a cost of something like $35 and gets two people and all of their stuff (you can fit an eight foot surfboard inside the car and close the hatch... ask me how I know)"

RIDES LIKE A SPORTS CAR, TR3 OR CORVETTE. STIFF

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "I LOVE FILLING IT UP ONLY TWICE PER MONTH."

"ONLY TWO SEATS. LOW SO DIFFICULT FOR SOME TO GET IN AND OUT. ROAD NOISE IS ABOVE AVERAGE. TIRE PRESSURE IS IMPORTANT, LOW AND IT CAN BE HARD TO DRIVE. IT WANTS TO SKATE. MECHANICS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OF THEM FOR ANYONE TO BE FAMILURE WITH IT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT THEY DO NOT COME WITH A SPARE TIRE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE TIRE IS. IT IS NOW THE TEST BEFORE THEY CAN WORK ON THE CAR. MILEAGE VARIES SUMMER TO WINTER. IT IS MUCH BETTER IN THE SUMMER. MY BEST EVER WAS 60 MPG FOR 1200 MILE TRIP. WINTER IT CAN GO DOWN TO HIGH 40'S. NARROW WIDTH MAKES IT DIFFICULT IN THE SNOW. IT DOES NOT FIT THE NORMAL TIRE PATHS."

"Fun" sports car - excellent mileage 46 to 55 mpg

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive - great mileage (46 to 55 mpg)"

Cons: "two seater - low to get into and out of - no cruise control"

"The car handles very well - very responsive steering - mileage has been excellent throughout ownership - 46 to 55 both highway and local driving - The only drawbacks are the fact that it is a two seater and low to the ground which makes getting into and out challenging if you are not in A one physical condition. This is a "fun" car."

Hate it, rides rough

By on Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pros: "good milage, easy to park"

Cons: "no cruise control, rough ride"

"Rides rough. In the Texas summer the AC can not keep up and the milage drops to 40mpg. The seat is one of the most uncomfortable I have ever ridden in. No cruise control. The scheduled maintenance very expensive. The batteries went out at 75K miles. It would have been $5000 dollars if it hadn't been covered by a recall. I have been to to three different dealers for service and I haven't been happy with any of them. There have been a couple of recalls and they were handled in an ineffective manner. The tires are special and in Dallas I could only find one tire dealer near my house that carried them. When the weather is bad the two stage braking ( regenerative then normal) makes it very tricky on wet and or snowy roads. ( Yes, Dallas has snow and ice storms) Terrible blind spots. Average milage after 85 K miles is only 46"