2009 Honda Element

Based on 731 Ratings for the 2003 - 2011 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned for my purposes.

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"I've had VW Passats, BMW 325i (Major problems) Toyotas; Fords, Chevies (never again) and this is the best I've ever owned. Trouble free, fun to drive, virtually unstickable (sic), reliable, bullet proof. I have two dogs that I take from Texas to California every year to go hunting with my son. I haul a trailer which I figure fully loaded is about 1,200 lbs and I get 27 mpg on the road; more if I don't need to run the a/c. I take the rear seats out (takes about 5 minutes and are totally detachable) and the dogs have plenty of room. They can't do any damage to this vehicle as everything is made so sturdily. When I get home, I just take it to the car wash and hose down everything but the dash and side speakers and it's good to go. I even got so I liked the looks of it!"

BEST CAR EVER OWNED

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Extremely reliable, convenient, economical"

Cons: "Boxy looking, slightly light in heavy wind"

"I can say this with having a lot of experience with so many different cars. My first husband was an exotic car broker and I was given a different kind of car to drive every month or so for 13 years. I can honestly say I have never owned a car that I have loved so much as my 2003 Honda Element. My husband (now) and I purchased our Element off the showroom floor. We have had several other cars since but have kept our Honda out of pure love for it. We service and maintain our cars regularly. Our Honda is the only car that refuses to give us any problem. It gets great gas milage, very responsive steering and not bad for a 4 cylinder when needing power. It's very light. The one thing one might not like is that it isn't as steady in heavy winds but that's because it's light and boxy. It drives nice and we can easily tow our boat behind it with no problem. It has a surprisingly good stock sound system and the best thing about the interior is it's good for country living; you can actually hose it out with the rubber floors and waterproof seats. The back seats have so much legroom that its unbelieveable. They set higher up but still lots of headroom. You can get things into this car that you wouldn't normally get in a regular SUV because of the suicide doors (back door opens opposite of front door) and it has no bar between doors so allowing a larger opening. Back seats have 5 different positions allowing a large open area for hauling. All in all - It's just a jewel!!!!"

Fully utilitarian kind of vehicle

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

"What is it? SUV or what? Well, it's a cross-over for me. I don't own dogs or carry surfboards or anything long inside or outside/on top of it, but this vehicle has lots of room to spare for almost anything you'd like to stick in it. when the seats are fully (removable) taken out, you're even able to put up to two fully assembled bikes in back and with proper tying down with bungee cords, you're set and able to transport them fully safe. Had had very minor issues taken care of and only had the routine annual (per owner's manual) oil change as I don't live in dusty or sandy areas. Brake pads are still within specs, even after owning it since 2007 and driven for about 50K miles since. Upon checking today, I would say that IT DOES have a higher re-sale value and as most (all?) any Hondas would have it -very low maintenance!"

Best Vehicle we've owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "HEADROOM and cargo space with back seats up."

Cons: "Only seats 4"

"This (and the 2011 Honda Element) are our favorite vehicles ever!! When I heard the Element was going out of production after 2011, I bought the 2011 but KEPT the 2003 for my husband. It has saved him driving his big 3/4 ton pickup (which gets about 13mpg)! We love both our Elements. I REALLY like the changes they have made for 2011!! Our 2003 gets about 21 mpg average and our 2011 gets almost 26 mpg average and has gotten as high as 29 mpg on long trips. It's much more comfortable and the seatbelts no longer are connected to the suicide door! I think Honda made a huge mistake taking this vehicle off the market. As a band director AND triathlete, it is the PERFECT vehicle for both!"

Don't Be Naive

By on Thursday, July 17, 2008

"This car was great at the beginning, but slowly something broke more and more and more. Now I'm part of few groups, and these problems are widespread throughout Element owners. The windshield cracks from the pressure, the horn stops working, the air compressor breaks down ($2k fix, by the way), window washer pump fails, door rattles, all sorts of things. Buyer beware... don't be naive.. do your research."

Great

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I already have 150,000 miles and other than oil changes, tires and brakes the car is great...Not bad for a 2003"

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"I had a truck for my toys but moved to this vehicle because I had obtained some kids I needed to move around too. It's a great kid vehicle because the backseats are up high with lots of legroom. You can climb in the car to get them set in their seats and when you are driving they can't reach your seat to kick! There is enough room on road trips to put in your cooler with a portable DVD player for them to watch. If you get a babysitter you can put the seats up and put in both of your mountain bikes without taking off the tires. And two adults can sleep very comfortably if you feel like camping out in the vehicle. We put mesh fabric over the window secured with magnets on the outside. Fast, peppy drive and lots of room!"

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I'm a 60 year old guy who has enjoyed this vehicle which was pitched to the young crowd. I can put my mtn bike inside (with one set of back seats up) and my surfboard on the top. It's the ultimate utility vehicle. You won't break any speed records, but I go over Mt. Tamalpais to get to the beach and enjoy the ride. It's a truly honest car."

Great Road Trip Vehicle

By on Monday, June 25, 2007

"Since I purchased my Element in 2003, I have driven to Prudoe Bay, AK, Key West, FL, Death Valley and Pike's Peak all w/out any problems at all. I have taken out the back seats and purchased a custom 6" foam mattress for the back where I sleep very comfortably on long trips. I would highly recommend this vehicle for people who like road trips."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"I bought this car new. I have never had any problems with it. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had new brakes and tires at 75,000. My only regret is that they no longer make the Element. This car is the best car I have ever owned."

Love this car!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, easy cleaning, ample storage or carg"

Cons: "it's a box - when windy it gets blown around a bit"

"This Element has lots of interior room. The back seats are a little higher than the front so the rear passengers have a good view out the front windshield. No carpet means easy clean-up! The rear seats fold up on the sides in seconds to give ample room for hauling or storage. I SCUBA dive so it's perfect for wet gear! The only two things I don't care for is in a high wind it is a little hard to control on the interstate at speed and the front windshield is vertical enough to crack more easily if a rock hits it. Milage around 22mpg in the city, 24 on the road. Overall? Funtastic!"

The greatest!

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, even for an elderly lady."

"The car has so many conveniences. Easy to clean. It can be made to a full bed inside. Can carry large items. No problems"

Very cool vehicle....

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive...easy to load....very handy"

Cons: "gas mileage could be better.."

"If you are considering an Element??---give it a shot....it is one of most versatile vehicles I have owned....you can load it up/keep it protected inside & then rinse it out with no issues!!....it looks boxy(it is) but, fun to drive & very useful....give the box a chance....Honda needs to bring it back!!"

Excellent all-around vehicle

By on Wednesday, December 09, 2009

"I have owned my element for 4 years now. It is an LX with real time AWD and a 5-speed manual transmission. I have added various extra to it over the years including side steps, a bull guard, aftermarket stereo system, fog lights, class II towing hitch and a thule roof rack for carrying sporting equipment. I am going to breakdown the various strong and weak points of the vehicle, granted though there are not many weak points. Pros -Performs well is all weather conditions, AWD works especially well for snow and rain, I have personally driven it through blizzards with 8+ inches of snow on the roads in California and Colorado without having to resort to chains though I still keep them in the back just in case -Seats 4 large people extremely comfortably for long road trips with enough luggage space for everyone, by large I mean tall or wide, everybody in my immediate family is over 6 foot so it is necessary for me -Incredibly versatile for hauling all types of cargo for moving or just picking up some new piece of furniture or a new high def TV at your local store -Works fairly well for car camping, the seats when laid flat are not that comfortable in my opinion (but that might be because I am 6'7"), however if you throw a foam pad on top it works out all right -Can be used for any sporting activity, I mainly use it for surfing and mountain biking, in both case you can put the sporting gear on the roof rack or in the car for added security if need be -Expansive cabin space so you don't get claustrophobic on long trips -Extremely reliable with scheduled maintenance, though I am a little more cautious on this front and don't follow the guidelines of Honda exactly, so every 30k I am doing a major service with all the fluids being replaced -Can tow a moderately sized trailer if need be, I towed around an enclosed 6"x10" trailer this past summer as I drove around NM, CO and UT with no problems, you might not be going up some of the mountain passes at 70+ mph but you will get there eventually albeit at a slower pace Cons -seatbelt design for the front two seats in the pre-2007 elements, it is on the suicide door so you have to take off you seat belt to let someone in or out of the back -no full size spare, just a donut, I think they could expand the area where the spare is to accommodate a full sized spare, not having one is worrisome when I am in the middle of nowhere exploring -stock tires, they are all right but will chirp a lot on turns and are not so stupendous with more icy conditions, get yourself some michelins or BF goodrich tires when the stock ones wear out -fuel economy is all right, I have gotten up to 27 mpg on long trips at elevation, here at sea level i get around 22-24 avg, I know you are driving around a shoe box but it seems that Honda should be able to squeeze some more efficiency out of this vehicle, maybe changing the front end? using a different type of injection/valve system? who knows, but it would be nice to be closer to 30 mpg on the highway All in all I love my Element and will be keeping it for many years to come. It is definitely the car for hauling around stuff and taking long trips. Maybe they will come out with a plug in hybrid version in the future! There sure is enough space in the engine bay to support that."

A must for anyone who lives with snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"I love my Element. I had my eye on it for a few years before I actually took the plunge, but I've had it for 3 years now and I'm just as happy with it now as I was the day I drove it off the lot. I live in Central New York, where the snow can get pretty intense. Sometimes it can snow 1-2 feet in one night, but I've always just plowed right on through with total confidence. The high ground clearance and 4WD make it a real asset in the winter here, which goes from about November to April. I have only a few complaints about the Element (or the Snow Toaster, as I call it, because it reminds me of a toaster on wheels). It's not a quiet ride, and the road noise can get loud if you're on a unevenly paved surface. Also, it's not a performance vehicle, so sometimes driving up hills is a bit like piloting a school bus. You really feel the effort. Lastly, the fuel efficiency is far from ideal. My sticker said 26 hwy/19 city or something like that. The reality is more like 20 hwy and 17 city. With the cost of fuel these days, you can see how this can be a problem. But I just love the practicality of the cargo space, incredible snow handling and nerdy profile. The only thing I've considered trading it for is the Honda Fit. But the Fit doesn't come with 4WD, so I'll probably be in the Element for a while. I smile every time I walk up to it, so I think that's the ultimate test of customer satisfaction!"

happy element driver

By on Thursday, October 02, 2008

"I HAVE A 2003 HONDA ELMENT EX AND HAVE 89,000. THIS BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT HAS A MILLON WAYS TO USE IT AND THE COMFORT IN THE DRIVERS SEAT PUTS A SMILE ON ME. GREAT FOR MOVING THINGS AND GREAT SEATS THAT RECLINE IN TO A BED. GREAT CAR FOR ALL AGES. I JUST LOVE THIS CAR AND WOULD TELL ANYONE TO BUY IT."

ONE TOUGH RIDE

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"Friends, family, & co-workers are constantly impressed with the capabilities of my Honda Element EX-P 4WD. I drive to remote cell phone sites for a living. From the coast to the desert and to the mountains. This ride has not let me down! It has plenty of power for getting up and over rough terrain. It's never stranded me or left me stuck. I've even caught air in it! It's no rock crawler that's for sure (maybe if it had more clearance and a 4X4 low gear). It also flys on the freeways of southern California!"

Love it, Love it, Love it !!!

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I have owned & driven my Element for over 3 years & it is by far the simplest & easiest vehicle I have ever owned. I am a big regular guy at 5'11" & over 280 pounds & I have owned trucks, & SUV's most of my life but this one is fantastic. Let me tell you what I love about it: So easy to get in & out of because the doors open WIDE & the seat hight is perfect so that you don't have to step down like a sports car or climb up into it like a truck. The seats are wide across your back & very comfortable. There is more cabin space than anything that I have driven. My wife & I recently rode in a Ford explorer & we both smacked our head getting in. With the front seats all the way back the rear passengers still have 2 feet of leg room. Hooray for no carpet ! No wet carpet in winter, no salt stains, just sweep it & your done. Rear seats fold out of the way for cargo space for things that I have actually hauled like a treadmill, (2) 36" x 80" house doors & frames or (6) 8' x 4' sheets of drywall to the amazement of the kid at Home Depot that helped me load them. Performance is not mind blowing but quite surprising in those times when you need to put the foot to the floor. Fuel economy is 24mpg around town & up to 34mpg running at 75mph on the highway. The 4 wheel drive (yes it is a 4wd & NOT all wheel drive) is fantastic in the snow without having to fuss with gear levers or switches. Solid construction compared to a Suzuki or Mitsubishi, just press body panels or swing the front & rear doors to feel the difference in weight & you will agree. Back in 04 I almost bought another Explorer but looked at 2 year old ones & calculated a 45% LOSS in value against a loss of around 22% for my 3+ year old Element. On a 12 hour road trip she may not be a Cadillac but if you don't have the time or desire to fuss over a vehicle then the simple, practical & all round easy design of this great vehicle is well worth looking at. Just DRIVE one & then try to honestly tell yourself that its not great."

Excellent snow vehicle

By on Friday, October 12, 2007

"My wife and I live in the Sierra foothills and bought the Element as our winter rec. vehicle. Our 2003 has 115000 miles on it already and has never had a single problem. It is excellent in the snow because of its weight. It blows subaru's away. The only thing that slows it down, is the ground clearance when it gets over 12" deep. The only complaint I would have is that it is slightly under powered in mountains. A V6 would be nice. Excellent vehicle."

KEEPS GOING AND GOING

By on Sunday, October 07, 2007

"My 2005 Element is my personal business car. I am a personal trainer and drive to clients home daily. My typical daily mileage is 245 miles. As of todays oil change I have 86000 miles. This car is sturdy, reliable and requires minimal up keep. The brakes were just replaced at 84000 miles. I was in shock! that they lasted so long. So was Evans Tires. They still had 15% left on the pads. If your looking for a great car that is comfortable, fun to drive, that has a great stereo look no further. By the way my personal get around car is a 2007 Infinity FX35 which is not half as reliable as the Honda Element. The only negative with the Element is it only gets about 19-20 MPG"

Needs a few changes

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"My husband bought the 06 Honda Element for me. I love it except for the excessive wind noise, the blind spots at the a & b posts and the lower than you would expect gas milage. I have gotten no more than 22mpg in town or on the highway. I'm thinking about trading for something a little more economical. A shame, I have had several Honda products in the past. Just a little disappointed with this one."

Box on Wheels

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"The Element is a radical change from my previous Suburban. The gas economy is excellent, especially after initial break-in. I doubt I would buy another one for 2 reasons: First, the visibility. There are some large blind spots due to the front beams. I have had some close calls. Also, when the back seats are stored on the side (which is a VERY cool feature), they block the view considerably. Second, the car just doesn't have the comfort level I'd like. It doesn't have the solid feel that I prefer...My college-age sons LOVE it, however. My next vehicle, if I can talk him into it, is a CR-V. I wish I had purchased that instead."

Frequently used by small businesses or family trav

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "I can't believe Honda discontinued the Element."

Cons: "Cargo area mat slips forward. It's all good!"

"Good mileage: 22 city/27 highway. A comfortable, long-distance ride. We use ours as a camper: pop out the rear seats and it sleeps two adults comfortably. Step-up running boards, roof rack (kayaks or gear basket), tow hitch for the bike rack, sun roof.... Air conditioning, Bose (5) Speakers wired to iPod jack, AM/FM, CD player, power take-off and overhead light in the tailgate area.... very convenient when travelling, tailgating, camping, et cetera. Very few available in today's market."

I will never be able to replace it.

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "Functionality, economy, reliability"

Cons: "I cannot trade it in on a new one."

Atlanta, winter of 2010

"I bought my Element new in March of 2003. As an avid bicycle rider, I can pack two people, two bicycles, and camping gear for one week inside the car. I get 25 mpg combined with the manual transmission (even when I lived in Atlanta). It occupies less space in my garage than my old Corolla. It handles tight parking spaces and boat ramps with ease. The paint has held up well even though it has not been garaged in the last 5 years, but the black fenders, grill, and trim have faded. It needed a camber kit installed after 75000 miles. I am still getting more than 48000 miles per set of tires."

Atlanta, winter of 2010

Great Vehicle, could be better

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "low maintenance, good handling, good on gas"

Cons: "poor sun visors, high profile in wind"

"Great about vehicle- it gets good gas mileage and is very low maintenance. It handles great in the snow, and gets you where you need to go. It has great cornering and gets into tight spaces easily. Sound system is great and there is plenty of leg room and space for passengers. The tie down points make it very easy to secure a load. Improves- sun visors really don't do anything to block the sun, most times you'll end up using your hand. Very difficult to let passengers out of the back in tight spaces due to the size of the front door. Gets pushed around by high winds."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda Element near Honolulu. See local deals