2009 Honda Element

Based on 722 Ratings for the 2003 - 2011 models.

Fully utilitarian kind of vehicle

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

"What is it? SUV or what? Well, it's a cross-over for me. I don't own dogs or carry surfboards or anything long inside or outside/on top of it, but this vehicle has lots of room to spare for almost anything you'd like to stick in it. when the seats are fully (removable) taken out, you're even able to put up to two fully assembled bikes in back and with proper tying down with bungee cords, you're set and able to transport them fully safe. Had had very minor issues taken care of and only had the routine annual (per owner's manual) oil change as I don't live in dusty or sandy areas. Brake pads are still within specs, even after owning it since 2007 and driven for about 50K miles since. Upon checking today, I would say that IT DOES have a higher re-sale value and as most (all?) any Hondas would have it -very low maintenance!"

My second Element

By on Sunday, March 16, 2008

"I purchased my second Element (2008) three months ago. My first was a 2005. Both were (are) EX AWD models. The first was an awful green, my latest is gray which I much prefer over the green. I had a Honda S2000 in between, but daily commutes of 60 miles in bumper to bumper traffic and the desire to be able to take my two granddaughters with me on a whim meant the S2000 had to go. The Element is a great vehicle except for the awful Goodyear Wrangler tires. The stereo and XM radio are great as are the versitility of the vehicle. I feel safe in this vehicle and think the handling is exceptional for this type of vehicle."

plastic box anyone?

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"The Honda Element is what it is. Its basically a plastic box on wheels. but theres so much you can do with a plastic box. cons: when driving in windy conditions you can feel the car get pushed pretty substantially. I've averaged 23 miles per gallon. which is what a lot of V6s with 200+ horsepower get. the interior is a lot harder to clean then you would think. the little dots on the floor prevent proper wiping and the fabric on the seats collect anything sticky. the rear doors have to be open to a certain point in order to stay open. If you open them on an incline watch out, I've had my legs chopped up pretty good. and in mall parking situations you have to open the front door, slide over and open the rear door and then get your kids out and then slide back over to the front to close the rear and then slide to the back again to close the front door. sliding doors are soo much more useful. theres a little metal support that sticks out from the floor where the doors latch on to. whenever I have to get my kids out of the back I put my knee up to support myself and end up hitting that little metal thing really hard. the rear seats are rather far from the front seats. so if you have to pass something or get something between the seats you cant. and it only seats four. not enough torque or power to tow anything or carry anything over 300pounds. pros: its a plastic box and the ability to either fold up or totally take out the rear seats is great. you will be able to fit much more in the element then in any standard sized pick up. barring weight issues. its great four wheel drive, it feels very stable in wet and snowy conditions."

Best car bar none!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Overall best car ever made"

Cons: "stopped making the car"

"Bought 2003 model in 2006. Use it for storm spotting, camping, and fishing. Have complete Davis weather station installed, and car is roomy and versatile. Like the suicide doors and on the 2003 year model, the front seat folds forward to place large packages in the back seat. Other year models do not have that feature. Has the usual rear seat move/remove placement options and a true tailgate. Heavy quality paint and love the plastic fenders, the fenders and bumpers are nicked up after 10 years but not as noticeable as it would be on the paint. Noticed some owners have rejuvenated the fenders and bumpers on these older models but I love the weathered look of the plastic. Did have a heavier windshield installed in 2007 and it has a few nicks but hasn't need replacing as windshield is a weak point being a rock magnet. I have the ultra rare 5 speed manual transmission and love the precise shifting points, but first gear is a little tall. The AWD is perfect for correcting hydroplaning when you run into heavy precipitation at high speeds and warns you to slow down. Love the visibility and rear wiper, especially in heavy rain. No leaks anywhere, even with the moon roof in 10 years. I run about 20+ 12v accessories thru the single 12v cigarette lighter receptacle and it seems Honda engineering made the battery and alternator extra heavy duty as I have the original alternator although I did recently have to get a new battery, which has a 100 month warranty. Other repairs in 10 years are the standard tire wear, front brakes, the ABS system went out, had to have new bushings in the rear and recently a new starter, but feel this is acceptable given the hard usage I have put the vehicle thru and the engine and drive train are in excellent shape. My only complaint is that the 2003 model front seats had quality control issues in that the stitching wore loose in the first two years at the seat bottoms and sides. Getting the waterproof Honda Element OEM seat covers solved the problem and held up very well for last 10 years. Plenty of OEM accessories are still available to enhance your Element experience such as rear cabana for surfers wanting to change into bathing suits, side running boards, fog lights, overhead rack, over sized storage armrests, and tailgate seat back among the few mentioned. I have my vehicle serviced at my dealer who provide personal services with perks such as free fluid top off, rides to and from dealership on long repairs, perfect if your single and have this as your only vehicle. I will do whatever it takes to keep this vehicle on the road since they do not make them no more (bad Honda, My only major complaint). This is a niche vehicle that owners are staunchly loyal to. Mine drives like a sports car with manual shift but has the carry capacity of a much larger vehicle. For you Doctor Who fans, it truly does look larger on the inside than on the outside, just like the T.A.R.D.I.S. especially since mine is dark blue!"

Excellent for what I bought it for

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, roomy for bank bags and packages."

Cons: "Noisy, Rough riding, blind spots"

"I used this vehicle for 5-6 years to do bank messenger service between branch banks on the Eastern Shore of MD. I wanted reliability, reasonable milage, plus 4wd for bad weather in all seasons. The Element did all this well, and except for tires, brakes and routine services it has never failed me."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda Element near Honolulu. See local deals