2009 Honda Element

Based on 726 Ratings for the 2003 - 2011 models.

Best Value

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Value priced, roomy, low maintenance costs."

Cons: "No driver side vanity mirror...really, that's it!"

"After owning two of the Honda Element EX model since 2004, I had to make a comment. This, by far, has been the best vehical for the money I have ever experienced. Not only did they perform well and take all the punishment I could dish out driving 147K on my first Element. It also resold very well at 8500! I went ahead and bought a gently used one with the proceeds and have enjoyed it for almost three years now. My only regret was in not purchasing a new one before they stopped making them last year. If you are in the market for a used car, this vehical is perfect for highway and dirt road driving in any kind of weather. I survived a flood with standing water up to my bumper as well as a snowbank up to my Honda logo...it cut through both like a hot knife through butter. It did very well with Uniroyal touring tires...more than 50K-60k before I had to replace them. Thanks for this opportunity to share the great luck I have had with the Honda Element EX. I hope you find yourself one and enjoy taking on the open roads as much as I do!"

I Like it but Family Doesn't

By on Friday, August 31, 2007

"I enjoy the reliability, stiff ride, functionality, etc when driving alone. A fine choice for MY car. BUT -my wife & older kids think visibility from rear seat is poor (seat is high, so have to lower head to see scenery) ride is stiff & bumpy, etc - so as a family cruiser it is not popular. I just wish THEY liked it more. Test it with family in it as well as yourself."

Built for what you do!

By on Friday, July 25, 2008

"I love this vehicle. It's not fancy, it's not sexy - it's just perfect for someone with an active/outdoorsy lifestyle. I spent years hauling around bikes and skis and gear in a nice Subaru, trying to keep the carpet clean, trying not to damage my leather seats, etc. The Element just makes so much more sense. It's got space galore. I can go on a trip with a friend, fit bikes, dogs and gear inside the car (don't even have to use racks, which lower MPG unless I'm bringing even more stuff) and just blow the dirt out with an air compressor when I get home. On bigger trips, it's even more ideal. With a rear hitch rack and roof box, we went on a long trip with 3 people, six bikes and a TON of gear stacked floor to ceiling and we still got 24MPG. Not to mention it still had plenty of power to cruise on up all the steep mountain passes, etc. That - and it's shockingly comfortable inside. The passengers in the rear can stretch out completely - there is more space than I've ever seen in the rear of any vehicle. Great for long drives where you need to rotate through sleeping and driving shifts. And it's funny - I always wondered why the sunroof was so far to the back of the vehicle until I laid the rear seat down riding in the back and you can look right out it at the clouds and trees... It's the best road trip car ever made. And it's still practical and fun for everyday use as well."

Best vehicle I have ever owned for my purposes.

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"I've had VW Passats, BMW 325i (Major problems) Toyotas; Fords, Chevies (never again) and this is the best I've ever owned. Trouble free, fun to drive, virtually unstickable (sic), reliable, bullet proof. I have two dogs that I take from Texas to California every year to go hunting with my son. I haul a trailer which I figure fully loaded is about 1,200 lbs and I get 27 mpg on the road; more if I don't need to run the a/c. I take the rear seats out (takes about 5 minutes and are totally detachable) and the dogs have plenty of room. They can't do any damage to this vehicle as everything is made so sturdily. When I get home, I just take it to the car wash and hose down everything but the dash and side speakers and it's good to go. I even got so I liked the looks of it!"

BEST CAR EVER OWNED

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Extremely reliable, convenient, economical"

Cons: "Boxy looking, slightly light in heavy wind"

"I can say this with having a lot of experience with so many different cars. My first husband was an exotic car broker and I was given a different kind of car to drive every month or so for 13 years. I can honestly say I have never owned a car that I have loved so much as my 2003 Honda Element. My husband (now) and I purchased our Element off the showroom floor. We have had several other cars since but have kept our Honda out of pure love for it. We service and maintain our cars regularly. Our Honda is the only car that refuses to give us any problem. It gets great gas milage, very responsive steering and not bad for a 4 cylinder when needing power. It's very light. The one thing one might not like is that it isn't as steady in heavy winds but that's because it's light and boxy. It drives nice and we can easily tow our boat behind it with no problem. It has a surprisingly good stock sound system and the best thing about the interior is it's good for country living; you can actually hose it out with the rubber floors and waterproof seats. The back seats have so much legroom that its unbelieveable. They set higher up but still lots of headroom. You can get things into this car that you wouldn't normally get in a regular SUV because of the suicide doors (back door opens opposite of front door) and it has no bar between doors so allowing a larger opening. Back seats have 5 different positions allowing a large open area for hauling. All in all - It's just a jewel!!!!"

Fully utilitarian kind of vehicle

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

"What is it? SUV or what? Well, it's a cross-over for me. I don't own dogs or carry surfboards or anything long inside or outside/on top of it, but this vehicle has lots of room to spare for almost anything you'd like to stick in it. when the seats are fully (removable) taken out, you're even able to put up to two fully assembled bikes in back and with proper tying down with bungee cords, you're set and able to transport them fully safe. Had had very minor issues taken care of and only had the routine annual (per owner's manual) oil change as I don't live in dusty or sandy areas. Brake pads are still within specs, even after owning it since 2007 and driven for about 50K miles since. Upon checking today, I would say that IT DOES have a higher re-sale value and as most (all?) any Hondas would have it -very low maintenance!"

My second Element

By on Sunday, March 16, 2008

"I purchased my second Element (2008) three months ago. My first was a 2005. Both were (are) EX AWD models. The first was an awful green, my latest is gray which I much prefer over the green. I had a Honda S2000 in between, but daily commutes of 60 miles in bumper to bumper traffic and the desire to be able to take my two granddaughters with me on a whim meant the S2000 had to go. The Element is a great vehicle except for the awful Goodyear Wrangler tires. The stereo and XM radio are great as are the versitility of the vehicle. I feel safe in this vehicle and think the handling is exceptional for this type of vehicle."

plastic box anyone?

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"The Honda Element is what it is. Its basically a plastic box on wheels. but theres so much you can do with a plastic box. cons: when driving in windy conditions you can feel the car get pushed pretty substantially. I've averaged 23 miles per gallon. which is what a lot of V6s with 200+ horsepower get. the interior is a lot harder to clean then you would think. the little dots on the floor prevent proper wiping and the fabric on the seats collect anything sticky. the rear doors have to be open to a certain point in order to stay open. If you open them on an incline watch out, I've had my legs chopped up pretty good. and in mall parking situations you have to open the front door, slide over and open the rear door and then get your kids out and then slide back over to the front to close the rear and then slide to the back again to close the front door. sliding doors are soo much more useful. theres a little metal support that sticks out from the floor where the doors latch on to. whenever I have to get my kids out of the back I put my knee up to support myself and end up hitting that little metal thing really hard. the rear seats are rather far from the front seats. so if you have to pass something or get something between the seats you cant. and it only seats four. not enough torque or power to tow anything or carry anything over 300pounds. pros: its a plastic box and the ability to either fold up or totally take out the rear seats is great. you will be able to fit much more in the element then in any standard sized pick up. barring weight issues. its great four wheel drive, it feels very stable in wet and snowy conditions."

Best car bar none!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Overall best car ever made"

Cons: "stopped making the car"

"Bought 2003 model in 2006. Use it for storm spotting, camping, and fishing. Have complete Davis weather station installed, and car is roomy and versatile. Like the suicide doors and on the 2003 year model, the front seat folds forward to place large packages in the back seat. Other year models do not have that feature. Has the usual rear seat move/remove placement options and a true tailgate. Heavy quality paint and love the plastic fenders, the fenders and bumpers are nicked up after 10 years but not as noticeable as it would be on the paint. Noticed some owners have rejuvenated the fenders and bumpers on these older models but I love the weathered look of the plastic. Did have a heavier windshield installed in 2007 and it has a few nicks but hasn't need replacing as windshield is a weak point being a rock magnet. I have the ultra rare 5 speed manual transmission and love the precise shifting points, but first gear is a little tall. The AWD is perfect for correcting hydroplaning when you run into heavy precipitation at high speeds and warns you to slow down. Love the visibility and rear wiper, especially in heavy rain. No leaks anywhere, even with the moon roof in 10 years. I run about 20+ 12v accessories thru the single 12v cigarette lighter receptacle and it seems Honda engineering made the battery and alternator extra heavy duty as I have the original alternator although I did recently have to get a new battery, which has a 100 month warranty. Other repairs in 10 years are the standard tire wear, front brakes, the ABS system went out, had to have new bushings in the rear and recently a new starter, but feel this is acceptable given the hard usage I have put the vehicle thru and the engine and drive train are in excellent shape. My only complaint is that the 2003 model front seats had quality control issues in that the stitching wore loose in the first two years at the seat bottoms and sides. Getting the waterproof Honda Element OEM seat covers solved the problem and held up very well for last 10 years. Plenty of OEM accessories are still available to enhance your Element experience such as rear cabana for surfers wanting to change into bathing suits, side running boards, fog lights, overhead rack, over sized storage armrests, and tailgate seat back among the few mentioned. I have my vehicle serviced at my dealer who provide personal services with perks such as free fluid top off, rides to and from dealership on long repairs, perfect if your single and have this as your only vehicle. I will do whatever it takes to keep this vehicle on the road since they do not make them no more (bad Honda, My only major complaint). This is a niche vehicle that owners are staunchly loyal to. Mine drives like a sports car with manual shift but has the carry capacity of a much larger vehicle. For you Doctor Who fans, it truly does look larger on the inside than on the outside, just like the T.A.R.D.I.S. especially since mine is dark blue!"

Excellent for what I bought it for

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, roomy for bank bags and packages."

Cons: "Noisy, Rough riding, blind spots"

"I used this vehicle for 5-6 years to do bank messenger service between branch banks on the Eastern Shore of MD. I wanted reliability, reasonable milage, plus 4wd for bad weather in all seasons. The Element did all this well, and except for tires, brakes and routine services it has never failed me."

I can't wait to own another!!!!!!!!!!

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Reason: lapse in judgement

"I just sold my Element. I wanted something with better gas mileage. I averaged 22 to 26 with the Element, but I wanted to get closer to 40. I now have a jetta TDI. If I could turn back time I wouldn't have sold it. It's the most versatile car on the planet. I will own another one sooner than later and I plan on running it until it dies. I only had to do basic maintenance, oil, tires, bulbs. Great car you can't go wrong with this car!"

Functional and reliable

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Functional; virtually maintence free outside of new battery, tires and regular oil changes."

Cons: "A little rough riding, especially in the back seat."

"I bought this car new in 2004 and have never regretted it. It serves my purpose very well: hauling the grandkids and their sports equipment all over this part of the state in addition to my own transportation. I've given it reasonable care and it has served me very well indeed; never had mechanical or electrical problems."

Great

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"I already have 150,000 miles and other than oil changes, tires and brakes the car is great...Not bad for a 2003"

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"I had a truck for my toys but moved to this vehicle because I had obtained some kids I needed to move around too. It's a great kid vehicle because the backseats are up high with lots of legroom. You can climb in the car to get them set in their seats and when you are driving they can't reach your seat to kick! There is enough room on road trips to put in your cooler with a portable DVD player for them to watch. If you get a babysitter you can put the seats up and put in both of your mountain bikes without taking off the tires. And two adults can sleep very comfortably if you feel like camping out in the vehicle. We put mesh fabric over the window secured with magnets on the outside. Fast, peppy drive and lots of room!"

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I'm a 60 year old guy who has enjoyed this vehicle which was pitched to the young crowd. I can put my mtn bike inside (with one set of back seats up) and my surfboard on the top. It's the ultimate utility vehicle. You won't break any speed records, but I go over Mt. Tamalpais to get to the beach and enjoy the ride. It's a truly honest car."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"I bought this car new. I have never had any problems with it. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had new brakes and tires at 75,000. My only regret is that they no longer make the Element. This car is the best car I have ever owned."

Best Vehicle we've owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "HEADROOM and cargo space with back seats up."

Cons: "Only seats 4"

"This (and the 2011 Honda Element) are our favorite vehicles ever!! When I heard the Element was going out of production after 2011, I bought the 2011 but KEPT the 2003 for my husband. It has saved him driving his big 3/4 ton pickup (which gets about 13mpg)! We love both our Elements. I REALLY like the changes they have made for 2011!! Our 2003 gets about 21 mpg average and our 2011 gets almost 26 mpg average and has gotten as high as 29 mpg on long trips. It's much more comfortable and the seatbelts no longer are connected to the suicide door! I think Honda made a huge mistake taking this vehicle off the market. As a band director AND triathlete, it is the PERFECT vehicle for both!"

Love this car!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, easy cleaning, ample storage or carg"

Cons: "it's a box - when windy it gets blown around a bit"

"This Element has lots of interior room. The back seats are a little higher than the front so the rear passengers have a good view out the front windshield. No carpet means easy clean-up! The rear seats fold up on the sides in seconds to give ample room for hauling or storage. I SCUBA dive so it's perfect for wet gear! The only two things I don't care for is in a high wind it is a little hard to control on the interstate at speed and the front windshield is vertical enough to crack more easily if a rock hits it. Milage around 22mpg in the city, 24 on the road. Overall? Funtastic!"

The greatest!

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, even for an elderly lady."

"The car has so many conveniences. Easy to clean. It can be made to a full bed inside. Can carry large items. No problems"

Very cool vehicle....

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive...easy to load....very handy"

Cons: "gas mileage could be better.."

"If you are considering an Element??---give it a shot....it is one of most versatile vehicles I have owned....you can load it up/keep it protected inside & then rinse it out with no issues!!....it looks boxy(it is) but, fun to drive & very useful....give the box a chance....Honda needs to bring it back!!"

Excellent all-around vehicle

By on Wednesday, December 09, 2009

"I have owned my element for 4 years now. It is an LX with real time AWD and a 5-speed manual transmission. I have added various extra to it over the years including side steps, a bull guard, aftermarket stereo system, fog lights, class II towing hitch and a thule roof rack for carrying sporting equipment. I am going to breakdown the various strong and weak points of the vehicle, granted though there are not many weak points. Pros -Performs well is all weather conditions, AWD works especially well for snow and rain, I have personally driven it through blizzards with 8+ inches of snow on the roads in California and Colorado without having to resort to chains though I still keep them in the back just in case -Seats 4 large people extremely comfortably for long road trips with enough luggage space for everyone, by large I mean tall or wide, everybody in my immediate family is over 6 foot so it is necessary for me -Incredibly versatile for hauling all types of cargo for moving or just picking up some new piece of furniture or a new high def TV at your local store -Works fairly well for car camping, the seats when laid flat are not that comfortable in my opinion (but that might be because I am 6'7"), however if you throw a foam pad on top it works out all right -Can be used for any sporting activity, I mainly use it for surfing and mountain biking, in both case you can put the sporting gear on the roof rack or in the car for added security if need be -Expansive cabin space so you don't get claustrophobic on long trips -Extremely reliable with scheduled maintenance, though I am a little more cautious on this front and don't follow the guidelines of Honda exactly, so every 30k I am doing a major service with all the fluids being replaced -Can tow a moderately sized trailer if need be, I towed around an enclosed 6"x10" trailer this past summer as I drove around NM, CO and UT with no problems, you might not be going up some of the mountain passes at 70+ mph but you will get there eventually albeit at a slower pace Cons -seatbelt design for the front two seats in the pre-2007 elements, it is on the suicide door so you have to take off you seat belt to let someone in or out of the back -no full size spare, just a donut, I think they could expand the area where the spare is to accommodate a full sized spare, not having one is worrisome when I am in the middle of nowhere exploring -stock tires, they are all right but will chirp a lot on turns and are not so stupendous with more icy conditions, get yourself some michelins or BF goodrich tires when the stock ones wear out -fuel economy is all right, I have gotten up to 27 mpg on long trips at elevation, here at sea level i get around 22-24 avg, I know you are driving around a shoe box but it seems that Honda should be able to squeeze some more efficiency out of this vehicle, maybe changing the front end? using a different type of injection/valve system? who knows, but it would be nice to be closer to 30 mpg on the highway All in all I love my Element and will be keeping it for many years to come. It is definitely the car for hauling around stuff and taking long trips. Maybe they will come out with a plug in hybrid version in the future! There sure is enough space in the engine bay to support that."

A must for anyone who lives with snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"I love my Element. I had my eye on it for a few years before I actually took the plunge, but I've had it for 3 years now and I'm just as happy with it now as I was the day I drove it off the lot. I live in Central New York, where the snow can get pretty intense. Sometimes it can snow 1-2 feet in one night, but I've always just plowed right on through with total confidence. The high ground clearance and 4WD make it a real asset in the winter here, which goes from about November to April. I have only a few complaints about the Element (or the Snow Toaster, as I call it, because it reminds me of a toaster on wheels). It's not a quiet ride, and the road noise can get loud if you're on a unevenly paved surface. Also, it's not a performance vehicle, so sometimes driving up hills is a bit like piloting a school bus. You really feel the effort. Lastly, the fuel efficiency is far from ideal. My sticker said 26 hwy/19 city or something like that. The reality is more like 20 hwy and 17 city. With the cost of fuel these days, you can see how this can be a problem. But I just love the practicality of the cargo space, incredible snow handling and nerdy profile. The only thing I've considered trading it for is the Honda Fit. But the Fit doesn't come with 4WD, so I'll probably be in the Element for a while. I smile every time I walk up to it, so I think that's the ultimate test of customer satisfaction!"

happy element driver

By on Thursday, October 02, 2008

"I HAVE A 2003 HONDA ELMENT EX AND HAVE 89,000. THIS BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT HAS A MILLON WAYS TO USE IT AND THE COMFORT IN THE DRIVERS SEAT PUTS A SMILE ON ME. GREAT FOR MOVING THINGS AND GREAT SEATS THAT RECLINE IN TO A BED. GREAT CAR FOR ALL AGES. I JUST LOVE THIS CAR AND WOULD TELL ANYONE TO BUY IT."

Don't Be Naive

By on Thursday, July 17, 2008

"This car was great at the beginning, but slowly something broke more and more and more. Now I'm part of few groups, and these problems are widespread throughout Element owners. The windshield cracks from the pressure, the horn stops working, the air compressor breaks down ($2k fix, by the way), window washer pump fails, door rattles, all sorts of things. Buyer beware... don't be naive.. do your research."

ONE TOUGH RIDE

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"Friends, family, & co-workers are constantly impressed with the capabilities of my Honda Element EX-P 4WD. I drive to remote cell phone sites for a living. From the coast to the desert and to the mountains. This ride has not let me down! It has plenty of power for getting up and over rough terrain. It's never stranded me or left me stuck. I've even caught air in it! It's no rock crawler that's for sure (maybe if it had more clearance and a 4X4 low gear). It also flys on the freeways of southern California!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda Element near Honolulu. See local deals