2008 Honda Element

Based on 717 Ratings for the 2003 - 2011 models.

It is What it is

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"I've had a manual '04 EX 4x4 since new. I have approximately 95,000 miles on it to date. It handles well in all types of conditions. The turning radius and manuverability is better than my wife's '05 Accord. With the right tires, the thing is unstoppable in 12-18" of snow. Runs on regular gas and gets reasonable mileage for what it is, but engine is arguably under powered. Can't really tow anything with this vehicle. The vehicle is not well sound-insulated and can be pretty loud (wind, road, and engine noice are pronounced). The ambient noise levels can make for difficult cell phone conversations at highway speed. The OEM stereo does well at drowning out the sounds of traveling though. The interior is well thought out. It is more spacious than the outside would lead you to believe. The seats all fold flat so lounging and/or sleeping is nice. The rear seats fold up or come out altogether. I wish the front passenger seat was also removeable. The suicide doors are a neat gimmick, but not particularly useful and result in a lot of confusion for passengers who are unfamiliar. The OEM flip up/removeable sunroof is large, but in the rear so your cargo gets to enjoy it more than you do. I'm on my fourth windshield (something I've never had a problem with on any other vehicle). One was replaced under warranty, the second was covered by a class action. The window replacement guys remarked that the Element windshields are more prone to chips/cracking in general and compared them to Jeep Wranglers in that regard. Otherwise no mechanical, electrical or other surprises. I've changed oil every 5-7,000 miles. No major tune ups required until after 100,000 miles. I've replaced the engine air and cabin air filters two times each. The OEM tires were replaced at 30,000 with BFG T/A KO's, which are still going strong [these add slightly to the road noise, but it was still loud with the OEM tires]. At 60,000 had the rear differential fluid changed. Proactively replaced the battery at 80,000 miles, but wasn't having any problems. The brake pads lasted 90,000. I spend between two and six hours a day in this thing for work. I love it and highly recommend it. The latest CR-V and Element are clearly similar vehicles, just marketed to different demographics. While less utilitarian, the CR-V offers a more polished package, seats five (instead of the E's four) and remains nearly as versatile. We now have an '08 CR-V as well. We've only got 1,000 miles on it, but so far, so good. I recommend that as well."

Fun

By on Wednesday, May 02, 2007

"Can't get used to the rear doors opening from the rear. Road noise a little bothersome. Straight up windshield attracts rocks. Replaced windshield after 7k miles. Fun to drive. Nice pickup and can scoot real good in traffic. Front and back seating is great. Stadium seating in the back."

Best Value

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Value priced, roomy, low maintenance costs."

Cons: "No driver side vanity mirror...really, that's it!"

"After owning two of the Honda Element EX model since 2004, I had to make a comment. This, by far, has been the best vehical for the money I have ever experienced. Not only did they perform well and take all the punishment I could dish out driving 147K on my first Element. It also resold very well at 8500! I went ahead and bought a gently used one with the proceeds and have enjoyed it for almost three years now. My only regret was in not purchasing a new one before they stopped making them last year. If you are in the market for a used car, this vehical is perfect for highway and dirt road driving in any kind of weather. I survived a flood with standing water up to my bumper as well as a snowbank up to my Honda logo...it cut through both like a hot knife through butter. It did very well with Uniroyal touring tires...more than 50K-60k before I had to replace them. Thanks for this opportunity to share the great luck I have had with the Honda Element EX. I hope you find yourself one and enjoy taking on the open roads as much as I do!"

Third Element owned both our cars are Elements

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Size comfort. My 6'5 plus friends love it too."

Cons: "Not great on gas. Newer 5spd auto is better."

"My wife bought an 07 base element that we traded a few years ago for a 2010 4wd EX. Two years ago I bought my 04 element with 304,000 miles on it. The car has little over 335000 miles now and runs strong. Sometimes when I am driving my wife's 10 I forget that I'm in her car. Same happens when we go in my element and I forget and think we are in her car for a minute. This car with close to 340,000 miles feels almost the same as her car with 60k. I have to say it is the best car I have owned. I have had many nice Euro cars and they always end up asking for costly repairs. Honda made this Utility segment and they abandoned it. Honda always does this with their best cars. I have seen several Honda cars get discontinued with a loyal following. The problem was the CRV was too close to it. I wouldn't trade my Element for a CRV. I like the mini Hummer look of the Element. Anyone looking at a high mileage Element don't hesitate these are the most reliable cars in the world."

Built for what you do!

By on Friday, July 25, 2008

"I love this vehicle. It's not fancy, it's not sexy - it's just perfect for someone with an active/outdoorsy lifestyle. I spent years hauling around bikes and skis and gear in a nice Subaru, trying to keep the carpet clean, trying not to damage my leather seats, etc. The Element just makes so much more sense. It's got space galore. I can go on a trip with a friend, fit bikes, dogs and gear inside the car (don't even have to use racks, which lower MPG unless I'm bringing even more stuff) and just blow the dirt out with an air compressor when I get home. On bigger trips, it's even more ideal. With a rear hitch rack and roof box, we went on a long trip with 3 people, six bikes and a TON of gear stacked floor to ceiling and we still got 24MPG. Not to mention it still had plenty of power to cruise on up all the steep mountain passes, etc. That - and it's shockingly comfortable inside. The passengers in the rear can stretch out completely - there is more space than I've ever seen in the rear of any vehicle. Great for long drives where you need to rotate through sleeping and driving shifts. And it's funny - I always wondered why the sunroof was so far to the back of the vehicle until I laid the rear seat down riding in the back and you can look right out it at the clouds and trees... It's the best road trip car ever made. And it's still practical and fun for everyday use as well."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda Element near Honolulu. See local deals