1996 Honda del Sol Consumer Reviews

Best car ever!

By on Thursday, August 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, roof goes in the huge trunk"

Cons: "No cons"

"I've had this car for 17 years. It has so reliable and fun to drive. I don't really want to tradeit in. If I'm able to keep it and get a used car I will do that. I'm checking with a place that works on older Hondas to see what different things would cost if they ever need a repair on this del Sol. It has needed very little past regular oil changes, tires & gas. I feel God has blessed me with this car."

Driving the dream

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"I had wanted one of these cars since it's release in '93 but never actually bought one till 6 months ago. My Sol is everything I wanted it to be! It has been a dream. Yes, it is a little noisy but is as quiet as a convertible gets with the top off and windows up. I have only had one problem with it (radiator) and it has 146,000 miles. It is very comfortable and feels like a nimble gocart. If you're looking to get one, don't let it pass you by. These babies are getting hard to find and prices are skyrocketing. One hint though... don't get one that has been modified. Kids out there are destroying these angels by the handfull."

Great Little 2-Seater

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "When the sun comes out the top comes off!"

Cons: "Not a year-round car for the snowbelt."

better seats

"I bought my '97 SI used with over 100,000 miles more than a year ago. I normally wouldn't buy a used car with so many miles but it's a Honda and there aren't a lot of these around especially with low miles that haven't been molested by young drivers. The engine bay is almost identical to that of my '93 Civic so i knew it would be easy to maintain and repair. The stock seats were not comfortable so i replaced them with a set from an S2000. Got the car painted which included replacing most of the weatherstripping. If you are buying a Del Sol carefully check the condition of the weatherstipping as you can easily spend several hundred dollars replacing just the biggest pieces. If it's torn up or deteriorated negotiate a lower price. Also try to find a car with some dealer service records. The car handles very nicely even with the ugly 14" factory wheels. I will be upgrading to larger wheels and better rotors and brake calipers. 127 HP is adequate in this small car especially when you sit so low to the ground. If you want a hot rod look for the VTEC model which requires premium gas or, better yet, buy an S2000. I get 38-40 mpg when highway commuting to work and using regular grade gas. Being a convertible and a Honda, a well-cared for Del Sol should hold it's value. There will always be a demand for these fun, reliable cars."

better seats

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted

I'd like to receive useful tips, tools and resources via email from Kelley Blue Book.