2014 Honda CR-Z Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,352 - $19,103.

10/7.6

Based on 74 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

9.8/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Like it better than my BMW Z3 or Nissan 350Z

By on Thursday, April 16, 2015

Pros: "Great mileage, curb appeal, trunk space, unique"

Cons: "Seat fabric shows wear"

"I've had a CR-Z Ex since Sept. 2010 and have logged over 120,000 mostly freeway miles in it. I love this car. It's been out almost five years and people still look at it and ask me about it. I routinely get 40-43 mpg since I'm most on the freeway at speed. I use the Sport button to confound the road bullys who think this car can't move. I can leave all but the muscle cars with this assist. I've had almost no issues with the car, exceptions being a weird intermittent powert window seal, fog lights that broke from temp extremes and the lumbar support in the seat has fabric that is wearing poorly, which I've never seen before. But all things considered, I would buy one again. In fact, I am. I have an order in for a Deep Violet Pearl CR-Z EX with every option I could cram into it. THIS CAR IS ME. Honda hit a home run right out of the park with the CR-Z."

The Coolest Hybrid on the Market

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Sporty look, excellent handling, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Just a two-seater"

"I fell in love with this car the moment I saw it online- it combines a classic 80's sporty body (based on the old CR-X) with a futuristic interior. And to top it off, it gets awesome gas mileage (I'm getting over 37 mpg). For some reason this car gets so-so reviews by the "official" press but they don't seem to understand the car. This a car for people who want a fuel efficient car but don't want to drive a mom car to do it, and there just aren't any other hybrids out on there that are this fun to drive and look this cool doing it. The two major complaints- engine performance and rear visibility- simply don't hold up once you actually drive the car. In sport and normal mode the engine is responsive. Yes, acceleration is dampened in Eco mode, but that's how the car maximizes fuel efficiency. For an extra boost, you can use the Sport+ feature, which revs up the electric motor and acts like a booster pack. As far as rear visibility is concerned, you easily get used to that once you drive it. Also, the car comes with a backup camera standard. The interior of the car is exceptional with a sleek dashboard and controls. Everything feels modern and nothing feels cheap. I ended up getting the EX trim line for the additional leather accents and lighting in the car. I especially love the Eco monitor which helps you drive more efficiently with braking and acceleration. All in all, this car is going to be one I have fun driving for years to come."

not for everyone, but perfect for me

By on Friday, March 13, 2015

Pros: "nimble handling, sporty looking, good mileage"

Cons: "rear visibility only saved by its backup camera"

"The CR-Z falls between standard categories, so it doesn't rate high in most comparisons. It does fall into my category -- it rates really high with me. It looks good, with its low-drag Kamm-back design, and it's heaps of fun to drive."

Fun commuter car!

By on Friday, March 13, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, great on gas. good trunk space"

Cons: "no center console, bad rear vision"

"I got this car for commuting purposes. I walked away from a Mazda RX8 to this. I love that it's still quick and fun when I want it to be but also gets me 35 mpgs. It looks very stylish (except for the wheels. Don't know what Honda was thinking about)and I got a lot of compliments. Now for the not so great... Since the engine stops when you're at a red light, so does your AC. Additionally, there's not center console so that's something you'll have to invest it. The blue-tooth only does phone calls and not music (you'll have to get an adapter for that). Besides a few annoyances, this car is awesome. The back folds down to give you a great cargo area so it's great for long trips and it has the power when you need it."

Roomy 2 door

By on Sunday, March 08, 2015

Pros: "Love the look, lots of storage, fun to drive"

Cons: "Too low to the ground"

"They are no longer making this car and that is a shame because it's has so much style, room and very economical"

Excellent Sporty Hybrid

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "Fun drive, good value for the money. Typical Honda"

Cons: "No moonroof. Rear window pilar"

"a fun car to drive, a lot of pep. Very stylish body, good aerodynamics. Comfortable seats and good driving position. Instrument display,functions and location are excellent. Many extras as standard equipment. CVT is quiet and smooth."

One awesome little economy commuter.

By on Friday, December 26, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, road handling and feel, design, personality, efficiency,"

Cons: "Deteriorating interior chrom trim. Cloth seats."

"I'm the original owner and have owned this CRZ since Jan 2011. It is a 6 speed EX with premium sound. I have installed a slightly lowered sport suspension and premium wheels. The car rides very nice and tight (sporty). Although it rides a little closer to the ground, there are no problems, except with very steep road transitions. I'm very pleased with this little eco commuter. Returns decent (not great) gas milage in a sporty package. It is like no other car on the market IMO. It is a second car and work commuter for me, so space is a non issue. I agree rear view is a little limited, but acceptable. The interior EX chrome trim is not holding up very well. Other than that I have no other complaints to report."

Fun Car on a Budget

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, and great price."

Cons: "2-seater only, and low to the ground."

Pretty Woman!

"I purchased this car as a second vehicle. It seats 2, but has a very large hatch back storage area. It's has 3 driving functions that are easy to change: Normal, Economy and Sport. The ride is firm, the stance is low and the turnaround is very tight and small. Overall this car has been excellent for commuting and offered enough utility and fun in a nice, sporty package. The seats are comfortable and firmly supportive. The Dash is easy to read and the controls are easily understood, too. The return value however is a bit lower than expected, so I will be likely trading it in."

Pretty Woman!

Under rated fun car that get's above 40mpg...

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, cheap on gas, good looking."

Cons: "Inside door trim scuffs very easily."

"After 9k miles owning this CR-Z base CVT, I feel it is time to share my thoughts. I would say the "expert" reviewers are somewhat off...this car is an under rated gem in many respects. It exceeds its mpg. I average 42-43 mpg in mixed driving each tank, and I sometimes drive aggressively. I wanted the 6 speed manual but there were none available at time of purchase. Even the CVT has plenty of power when the electric motor kicks in. Also the S+ button livens things up with an extra boost! I carry much work gear and it all fits easily. I use the cargo bins behind the seats to keep things from moving around when I take corners hard. This car handles well btw...not sports car great but sporty, more sporty that say a Civic. The battery in rear makes the weight distribution better and it feels more balanced. Stereo is good. Plenty of cubbies and nooks to put things. It could use an armrest. A/C is adequate not great. 2 areas where I am unhappy: the door panels scuff easily! I have to wipe them down with a damp cloth for the marks to go away. Also the driver side window rattles a bit like it doesnt seal 100%. Otherwise a fun car that turns heads and gets comments. It has been reliabel and cheapt to operate. Side note: resale is not good...it drops value fast. If I had to do it over I would get a 6 speed manual and the new sport package which ups the hp to 187! But overall a good and fun car so far."

50+ mpg car that is comfortable, fun, and sporty

By on Friday, October 17, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive"

Cons: "No back seats"

"If you drive the vehicle around town and keep it under 65mph the car can get 50+ mpg. I've tested it multiple times and the car is amazing when it comes to miles per gallon. It's a very comfy car and sporty."

Great vehicle, reliable 41 MPG overall

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pros: "Good price for a very fuel efficient car."

Cons: "Road noise"

"I've had this vehicle nearly two years. Impressed with the performance- quite peppy, and the fuel economy which I check and record on every tank. Overall has been 41.5 mpg, including a harsh Michigan winter last year. It did fairly well in snow, too. The engine stops when the car stops and restarts when the brake is released. It was easy to get used to that and I no longer even notice it. It has never failed to restart. It is interesting to observe the operation of the hybrid system and to use that real-time information to adjust driving to get better fuel economy. It is a two-seat car and there is room behind the front seats for storage. They almost could have installed two small seats there. Back of that space folds down to provide a flat storage area. There is more road noise than I am used to, but even that seems to be less noticeable with time. Overall a good value and fun to drive."

Extremely Happy with my Vehicle!

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Is like a Future Car"

Cons: "Not as fast as the competition!"

"Love my car, the only thing is the lack over extra power when is in Sport Mode. Fast, but not fast enough for the Sporty Car it is."

Awesome car

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, fun to drive, modern style."

"Great gas mileage getting 39.9 all city driving. Handles like it's on rails. Gets a lot of attention everywhere I go. Doesn't come with a spare tire, but Honda online store sells a spare tire kit."

Best value for the money.

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "I don't know how Honda sell's it for so little."

Cons: "Only issue is the blind back quarter panels"

"It has options you don't expect to find on a car of this price and the gas mileage is really excellent. I average 32 MPG in the city and hit 40+ on the road doing the speed limit. Honda should of provided a model with a turbo because this car really handles."

Great two seater, needs back up camera!

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Excellent driving car"

Cons: "blind spots"

"Great driving car, excellent mileage, 37mpg+. Limitation is that it does not have jump seats in back for those all too frequent times when you have to give a ride to a third person. The car needs an aftemarket back up camera because there are significant blind spots."

FUN, Sporty, Efficient!!! Roomy...

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "economical...you cannot beat the gas mileage"

Cons: "seats aren't exceptionally cuishiony"

selling car due to job opportunity in Asia

"I love this economical car that took me from Maine to NYC and back again for only $45 in gas! IT's fast, efficient, fun to drive. Huge cargo area, enough to hold a bathroom sink & cabinet (tried & proved). Excellent sound system & MP3, iphone or GPS compatibility. This is an excellent car for those who commute daily, travel or just like cruising."

selling car due to job opportunity in Asia

An excellent car- Honda could have done better...

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, economy, rarity"

Cons: "Practicality, price, no sunroof :("

"This car is a bit of a stumper. I've owned around twenty cars over my driving career, and this is certainly up there for my favorites. As every review you'll likely read will mention (and your sales person surely ought to), this is positioned as a sports hybrid. Okay... Step one: buy the 6-speed manual. Buying the CVT means you don't care about sporty. At that point, you're throwing away one of the best features of this car, and a great deal of its raison d'etre (sorry for lack of accents...)- a wonderful, Honest-to-God Honda manual transmission. They really are some of the best in the business. Skip the CVT, or go buy a Prius, Insight, etc. They're much more efficient, plus can seat 3-5 people! The shifter could use a bit more weight to be excellent, but it still is superb. The clutch, too, could use a bit more firmness (a heavy-duty pressure plate would be a nice upgrade down the road), but otherwise, this is an excellent combination for anything but a racetrack. Step two: Forget much of the sport. This car has a combined rating of 130 BHP. This is a momentum car- if you're used to passing at will (as I was, coming out of an upgraded '13 Focus ST, with a 300 WHP '11 WRX before that), forget it. Planning is a must. However, if you maintain momentum, particularly in hilly terrain, this car comes alive (again, 6-speed!). One thing I must say is that after letting the engine break in for the first 1,000 miles (no heavy abuse, nothing north of 4,000 RPM, etc. [NOTE: Honda does NOT recommend or require a break-in period. It is not even mentioned in the owner's manual at all! This is entirely a self-imposed regimen to ensure maximum reliability]), between 1,200 miles and now, the engine feels noticeably more lively. As engines break in, they often gain a bit of power and efficiency, albeit only a small amount. On the other side of sport is braking and handling. On both of these, the CR-Z lets you down. The brake pads are decidedly not aggressive enough, leaving you wanting more even in moderate driving. They always get the job done, but only just. The suspension suffers from being largely carried over from the Fit Sport (the CR-Z can truly be considered the Fit Coupe Hybrid, as many parts are carried over unchanged), which is at least 100 pounds lighter. This means that the damping and spring rates are soft in the CR-Z, leaving a bit too much body roll, but without the benefit of a softer ride. Better shocks/struts are a must-do if you want to really get the most out of this car on a backroad or track! Step three: Forget ultra-efficiency. Let's face the elephant in the room- the CR-Z gets decidedly unimpressive fuel economy numbers. A 1.0L, 3-cylinder Fiesta will handily beat the CR-Z's fuel economy, practicality, and many other traits, while saving ~$6K+. Driving the car aggressively, but with an extremely smooth foot, I'm averaging 40.8 MPG on country roads (I actually went up 0.2 MPG switching to Sport mode full-time, likely due to my very attentive and aggressive driving style. While certainly not a hyper-miler, I have a tendency to get great fuel economy, likely due to preserving momentum). My last tank included a fair bit of A/C use due to heavy rains here in NY, and only dropped that number to 40.7, but of course, your mileage WILL vary. All this on NY 87 octane with ~10% ethanol, so higher numbers are certainly possible in those states fortunate enough to not have corn in their fuel. Also, the engine is still breaking in (I only have ~1,800 miles on it so far), so this should improve a bit. Step four: Forget practicality. Despite being a hatchback, the CR-Z is still (gasp!) a three door. The rear "seats" (they are actually usable and belted in other markets, but not in the U.S.) offer a bit of usable space, and if the divider is folder, they are covered, making for some hiding space for some goodies. The hatch area is deep, but putting taller objects in there will hurt what little rearward visibility this car has. Thankfully, a rearview camera is now standard on the CR-Z (it wasn't in '11-12), which helps. However, rear quarter visibility is still pretty poor (Holy blind spots, Batman!), so be careful when changing lanes in traffic! Step five: remember, it's a Honda! There's a reason that I love this car. It's quirky, but in a good way. For all its flaws and drawbacks, it's still an excellent car. It's a Honda, so I expect it to remain that way for a long time. Driven well, it's easy to keep speed up, even in hills, and it's rather tossable, despite very underwhelming tires (they're great on the Fit Sport, but less-than-stellar on the CR-Z. Extra weight, again?), and surprisingly good fun. The interior fit and finish is excellent, and the instrument cluster is very cool while being very easy to read. The lighting scheme is neat, and effective (although, as I said, I just leave mine in Sport mode now)- in Normal or Eco modes (stay out of Eco- it's a waste of time), the ring around the speedometer changes colors between green and blue, depending on the efficiency of your driving style. The shift indicator arrows mercifully disappear in sport mode (a constant annoyance in the Focus- they would appear mid-corner and distract the driver's eyes from the road- unacceptable in a sports-oriented car!), but are much more reasonable and unobtrusive than in many other cars. The seats are very comfortable. My one gripe is that the rear-"seat" access tab is on the driver's seat (???) instead of the passenger side, which seems like an omission in the transition from right-hand drive to left-hand. A minor gripe, but if you need to access the back regularly, it's a bit annoying. Also, the latch for the hatch area hangs low, so taller users (I'm 6'0") WILL hit their heads on it with some regularity. You've been warned... I happen to have the EX with navigation (and 6-speed, of course!), so a few notes on that: The navigation system is surprisingly good. Having dealt with many other brands' navigation systems, this is up there as one of the best (top two are this and those in the new Kia vehicles, believe it or not!). The load time is excellent, even in VERY rural areas, like where I live. The voice recognition does fine with my voice, despite a bit of an Irish brogue. The introductory speech that the system gives after pressing the voice command button is infuriating, however, as it takes several seconds (5+), meaning I usually end up using my fingers instead, negating any benefit. The touchscreen is very responsive, although the graphics/color schemes available are not very engaging, nor do they match the IP's colors very well. The HID low beams are nice, but the high beams and fog lights could use a bit more wattage, but this is an easy upgrade if you deem it necessary (aftermarket HID and LED kits are available). The OE sound system is very good, although the equalizer control for bass does not seem to do much in terms of subwoofer output. Sound quality is pretty darn good for a stock system. One last thing I have noticed is that the S+ "push-to-pass" button does not seem to do anything. There is zero discernible power/torque increase. I really think that it does not do anything. Oh well... Anyway, I love the car. It's a great, quirky car for this quirky man. If you like it on the test drive, and the payments work for you, and you can deal with the quirks and oddities, buy it! You won't regret it."

Great car for commuters

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, great stylin"

Cons: "doors swing really wide."

"If you are researching this car like I did, you have probably read many mediocre reviews. But the concept of a "sport hybrid" really got my attention, so I took it for a test drive anyway. And I'm glad I did. I owned a 2009 VW Passat with a 2.0 turbo, 5 seats and 200 hp. It was a great car but the maintenance got expensive for the German engineering. So I set out to shop for a new vehicle. I was looking for a car that is fun to drive, great on gas mileage, and something more reliable than the Germans. What would fit the bill better than a sport hybrid from Honda? Most online editor reviews are written by captain obvious. I KNOW it is a 2 seater. I KNOW it's not a sport car. I KNOW it is a small car. And I can care less about the specs. What I really care about is how I feel when I drive it. And that was the reason I bought it. Let's start with the exterior. It is totally a personal preference. I think the CR-Z looks very sporty and futuristic. LED running light and HID headlights really add to the styling. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, CR-Z really reminds me of the old CR-X that i couldn't afford in high school. The interior. The gauges looks like something out of a Sci Fi movie. It is very futuristic which match the the theme of the car. Although I found the instrument panel was a little busy at first, I got used to it after a day of driving and found Honda really put in some thought into it. While the design of the car makes you want to drive it like a formula one, the color changing gauge and information display really motivate you to be fuel efficient without being annoying. The layout of the dash, from the AC to the sound system, is very intuitive overall. The passenger compartment is am lot roomier than the exterior may suggest. For me, I drive by myself 90% of the time, 10% with my girlfriend or a friend, and I don't remember the last time a human being sitting in the backseat of my old car. Cargo room is plenty on the CR-Z. I manage to put a large north face duffle bag, a messenger bag, and some random stuff in the back with room to spare. A week worth of groceries is definitely not an issue. The seat while being bucket style, offer good support and comfort. Performance. It all depends on your expectations. For me, I was looking for a fun commuter. Coming from a full size turbo charged sedan, the CR-Z does not feel underpowered at all... when you put it in Sport mode. 130 horse power may sound really boring but with the assist of the electric motor, the car feels a lot faster than you may expect. The electric motor almost gives it a turbo like feeling at the traffic light. When you put it in sport mode, it feels like a totally different car. The steering tightens up, the motor revs up a lot quicker, and even the exhaust note got throatier and it doesn't sound out of breath at high RPM. My commute consist of about 10-15 minutes of twisty back road and driving my car in sport mode really make my daily commute a little more fun. Driving in normal mode, the car almost feel like cheap sedan like a Versa, or Yaris. It's very fuel efficient in normal or eco mode, but very boring. I can only recommend using it in heavy traffic or long highway stretch. The suspension is tight but adequately soaks up potholes. There is very little body roll during cornering, well, at least compare to a sedan. It's just fun enough for everyday driving. Fuel efficiency. I have no idea how some reviews reported only 20s in city and 30s on highway. They must beat the heck out of their demos. I like to drive fast and I get consistently 32-34 mpg local and at least 46 on the highway. All I can say is, you got to know what you want. If you want a 2 seater pure sport car buy a miata. If you want to save the planet by getting 50+ mpg, get a prius. If you are like me, want to save gas while still have fun driving, CR-Z is perfect for you. Speaking of the miata, I think both are quite similar in terms of handling and power. Of course, CR-Z is a lot more practical and fuel efficient."

Best Value for a hybrd

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "great price for a single girl on a low budget."

Cons: "only fits 2 people. Not for a family.."

This vehicle is fully loaded. Has everything. Navagation, phone, cruise control and back up camera

"I bought it cus I have a CRV and drive 30 miles on the highway to work and was spending a bunch of money in gas a week. Well now I spend half the money and use the money I was spending on gas for a car payment. Think smart people. I still have my 2003 CRV cus I love it and have never had any issues with it. The CR-Z rides nice and I zip to work and home. Best value for a Hybrid. I love the look and feel of the car. Cant go wrong with a Honda.."

I love this car

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Lots of power. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Hard to see out the back!"

"I average 40 mpg. Can be noisy with the wrong tires. It is a blast to drive. lots of storage in the back. Use caution backing up and changing lanes."

Love This Car

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

"This car has been great!! Just got it about a week ago and could not be happier with it."

Fun to Drive and Easy on the Gas

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "It only holds two people."

"This is a one owner car. I"m the proverbial "little old lady from Pasadena". Has been well taken care with all of it's maintenance kept up. Gets 35 - 38 mpg in town and over 45 on the open road or freeway. Color is a beautiful Northstar Blue. New battery. Original upholstery has had seat covers over it from purchase date, so is in good condition. Loads of storage space. Easy and fun to drive."

wish never bought it. only good thing sometimes

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "ok gas mileage"

Cons: "two many for space allowed"

"the motor will stop at a light.poor rear vision.manual rear view mirror.very stiff ride. buy a seat cushion"

I love my CRZ!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "great fuel economy; fun to drive"

Cons: "placement of heating/cooling vents"

"I had no problems driving my CRZ in the snow last winter. I also get over 40 mpg in the city w/ summer gas. It looks good and has a smooth drive. Even my 6 ft. husband enjoys driving my car (and fits in it as well). The only complaint I have about my car is the placement of the vents for the driver for heating and cooling."

Best Commuter Vehicle For the Money!!

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, Fun Handling, Good Looks, Fairly Priced"

Cons: "Sluggish Acceleration, Little Storage"

"I bought this car with the sole purpose of using it to drive back and forth to work. Since purchasing, I have found to enjoy this little car so much that I drive it more often than any of my vehicles. I drive 85 miles (170 miles round trip) each day to work and average about 4,900 miles/month. I have tracked all of my fuel and overall associated costs for this car to see how I am doing. Since I bought this car, I have averaged 42mpg with the best tank being 46.7mpg and the worst tank being 32.6mpg. In the spreadsheet that I created to track all of my costs, I have determined that this car literally pays for itself when compared to the cost of driving my Toyota Tacoma over the same amount of mileage (to date, I have saved over $9k in fuel costs alone). This car is extremely economical, but still a fun little car that can handle some winding roads with ease. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap & fun little car, but not for anyone with intentions of using it as a family car."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next