2013 Honda CR-Z

Based on 61 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

9.8/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Best value for the money.

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "I don't know how Honda sell's it for so little."

Cons: "Only issue is the blind back quarter panels"

"It has options you don't expect to find on a car of this price and the gas mileage is really excellent. I average 32 MPG in the city and hit 40+ on the road doing the speed limit. Honda should of provided a model with a turbo because this car really handles."

Great two seater, needs back up camera!

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Excellent driving car"

Cons: "blind spots"

"Great driving car, excellent mileage, 37mpg+. Limitation is that it does not have jump seats in back for those all too frequent times when you have to give a ride to a third person. The car needs an aftemarket back up camera because there are significant blind spots."

FUN, Sporty, Efficient!!! Roomy...

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "economical...you cannot beat the gas mileage"

Cons: "seats aren't exceptionally cuishiony"

selling car due to job opportunity in Asia

"I love this economical car that took me from Maine to NYC and back again for only $45 in gas! IT's fast, efficient, fun to drive. Huge cargo area, enough to hold a bathroom sink & cabinet (tried & proved). Excellent sound system & MP3, iphone or GPS compatibility. This is an excellent car for those who commute daily, travel or just like cruising."

selling car due to job opportunity in Asia

An excellent car- Honda could have done better...

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, economy, rarity"

Cons: "Practicality, price, no sunroof :("

"This car is a bit of a stumper. I've owned around twenty cars over my driving career, and this is certainly up there for my favorites. As every review you'll likely read will mention (and your sales person surely ought to), this is positioned as a sports hybrid. Okay... Step one: buy the 6-speed manual. Buying the CVT means you don't care about sporty. At that point, you're throwing away one of the best features of this car, and a great deal of its raison d'etre (sorry for lack of accents...)- a wonderful, Honest-to-God Honda manual transmission. They really are some of the best in the business. Skip the CVT, or go buy a Prius, Insight, etc. They're much more efficient, plus can seat 3-5 people! The shifter could use a bit more weight to be excellent, but it still is superb. The clutch, too, could use a bit more firmness (a heavy-duty pressure plate would be a nice upgrade down the road), but otherwise, this is an excellent combination for anything but a racetrack. Step two: Forget much of the sport. This car has a combined rating of 130 BHP. This is a momentum car- if you're used to passing at will (as I was, coming out of an upgraded '13 Focus ST, with a 300 WHP '11 WRX before that), forget it. Planning is a must. However, if you maintain momentum, particularly in hilly terrain, this car comes alive (again, 6-speed!). One thing I must say is that after letting the engine break in for the first 1,000 miles (no heavy abuse, nothing north of 4,000 RPM, etc. [NOTE: Honda does NOT recommend or require a break-in period. It is not even mentioned in the owner's manual at all! This is entirely a self-imposed regimen to ensure maximum reliability]), between 1,200 miles and now, the engine feels noticeably more lively. As engines break in, they often gain a bit of power and efficiency, albeit only a small amount. On the other side of sport is braking and handling. On both of these, the CR-Z lets you down. The brake pads are decidedly not aggressive enough, leaving you wanting more even in moderate driving. They always get the job done, but only just. The suspension suffers from being largely carried over from the Fit Sport (the CR-Z can truly be considered the Fit Coupe Hybrid, as many parts are carried over unchanged), which is at least 100 pounds lighter. This means that the damping and spring rates are soft in the CR-Z, leaving a bit too much body roll, but without the benefit of a softer ride. Better shocks/struts are a must-do if you want to really get the most out of this car on a backroad or track! Step three: Forget ultra-efficiency. Let's face the elephant in the room- the CR-Z gets decidedly unimpressive fuel economy numbers. A 1.0L, 3-cylinder Fiesta will handily beat the CR-Z's fuel economy, practicality, and many other traits, while saving ~$6K+. Driving the car aggressively, but with an extremely smooth foot, I'm averaging 40.8 MPG on country roads (I actually went up 0.2 MPG switching to Sport mode full-time, likely due to my very attentive and aggressive driving style. While certainly not a hyper-miler, I have a tendency to get great fuel economy, likely due to preserving momentum). My last tank included a fair bit of A/C use due to heavy rains here in NY, and only dropped that number to 40.7, but of course, your mileage WILL vary. All this on NY 87 octane with ~10% ethanol, so higher numbers are certainly possible in those states fortunate enough to not have corn in their fuel. Also, the engine is still breaking in (I only have ~1,800 miles on it so far), so this should improve a bit. Step four: Forget practicality. Despite being a hatchback, the CR-Z is still (gasp!) a three door. The rear "seats" (they are actually usable and belted in other markets, but not in the U.S.) offer a bit of usable space, and if the divider is folder, they are covered, making for some hiding space for some goodies. The hatch area is deep, but putting taller objects in there will hurt what little rearward visibility this car has. Thankfully, a rearview camera is now standard on the CR-Z (it wasn't in '11-12), which helps. However, rear quarter visibility is still pretty poor (Holy blind spots, Batman!), so be careful when changing lanes in traffic! Step five: remember, it's a Honda! There's a reason that I love this car. It's quirky, but in a good way. For all its flaws and drawbacks, it's still an excellent car. It's a Honda, so I expect it to remain that way for a long time. Driven well, it's easy to keep speed up, even in hills, and it's rather tossable, despite very underwhelming tires (they're great on the Fit Sport, but less-than-stellar on the CR-Z. Extra weight, again?), and surprisingly good fun. The interior fit and finish is excellent, and the instrument cluster is very cool while being very easy to read. The lighting scheme is neat, and effective (although, as I said, I just leave mine in Sport mode now)- in Normal or Eco modes (stay out of Eco- it's a waste of time), the ring around the speedometer changes colors between green and blue, depending on the efficiency of your driving style. The shift indicator arrows mercifully disappear in sport mode (a constant annoyance in the Focus- they would appear mid-corner and distract the driver's eyes from the road- unacceptable in a sports-oriented car!), but are much more reasonable and unobtrusive than in many other cars. The seats are very comfortable. My one gripe is that the rear-"seat" access tab is on the driver's seat (???) instead of the passenger side, which seems like an omission in the transition from right-hand drive to left-hand. A minor gripe, but if you need to access the back regularly, it's a bit annoying. Also, the latch for the hatch area hangs low, so taller users (I'm 6'0") WILL hit their heads on it with some regularity. You've been warned... I happen to have the EX with navigation (and 6-speed, of course!), so a few notes on that: The navigation system is surprisingly good. Having dealt with many other brands' navigation systems, this is up there as one of the best (top two are this and those in the new Kia vehicles, believe it or not!). The load time is excellent, even in VERY rural areas, like where I live. The voice recognition does fine with my voice, despite a bit of an Irish brogue. The introductory speech that the system gives after pressing the voice command button is infuriating, however, as it takes several seconds (5+), meaning I usually end up using my fingers instead, negating any benefit. The touchscreen is very responsive, although the graphics/color schemes available are not very engaging, nor do they match the IP's colors very well. The HID low beams are nice, but the high beams and fog lights could use a bit more wattage, but this is an easy upgrade if you deem it necessary (aftermarket HID and LED kits are available). The OE sound system is very good, although the equalizer control for bass does not seem to do much in terms of subwoofer output. Sound quality is pretty darn good for a stock system. One last thing I have noticed is that the S+ "push-to-pass" button does not seem to do anything. There is zero discernible power/torque increase. I really think that it does not do anything. Oh well... Anyway, I love the car. It's a great, quirky car for this quirky man. If you like it on the test drive, and the payments work for you, and you can deal with the quirks and oddities, buy it! You won't regret it."

Great car for commuters

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient, fun to drive, great stylin"

Cons: "doors swing really wide."

"If you are researching this car like I did, you have probably read many mediocre reviews. But the concept of a "sport hybrid" really got my attention, so I took it for a test drive anyway. And I'm glad I did. I owned a 2009 VW Passat with a 2.0 turbo, 5 seats and 200 hp. It was a great car but the maintenance got expensive for the German engineering. So I set out to shop for a new vehicle. I was looking for a car that is fun to drive, great on gas mileage, and something more reliable than the Germans. What would fit the bill better than a sport hybrid from Honda? Most online editor reviews are written by captain obvious. I KNOW it is a 2 seater. I KNOW it's not a sport car. I KNOW it is a small car. And I can care less about the specs. What I really care about is how I feel when I drive it. And that was the reason I bought it. Let's start with the exterior. It is totally a personal preference. I think the CR-Z looks very sporty and futuristic. LED running light and HID headlights really add to the styling. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, CR-Z really reminds me of the old CR-X that i couldn't afford in high school. The interior. The gauges looks like something out of a Sci Fi movie. It is very futuristic which match the the theme of the car. Although I found the instrument panel was a little busy at first, I got used to it after a day of driving and found Honda really put in some thought into it. While the design of the car makes you want to drive it like a formula one, the color changing gauge and information display really motivate you to be fuel efficient without being annoying. The layout of the dash, from the AC to the sound system, is very intuitive overall. The passenger compartment is am lot roomier than the exterior may suggest. For me, I drive by myself 90% of the time, 10% with my girlfriend or a friend, and I don't remember the last time a human being sitting in the backseat of my old car. Cargo room is plenty on the CR-Z. I manage to put a large north face duffle bag, a messenger bag, and some random stuff in the back with room to spare. A week worth of groceries is definitely not an issue. The seat while being bucket style, offer good support and comfort. Performance. It all depends on your expectations. For me, I was looking for a fun commuter. Coming from a full size turbo charged sedan, the CR-Z does not feel underpowered at all... when you put it in Sport mode. 130 horse power may sound really boring but with the assist of the electric motor, the car feels a lot faster than you may expect. The electric motor almost gives it a turbo like feeling at the traffic light. When you put it in sport mode, it feels like a totally different car. The steering tightens up, the motor revs up a lot quicker, and even the exhaust note got throatier and it doesn't sound out of breath at high RPM. My commute consist of about 10-15 minutes of twisty back road and driving my car in sport mode really make my daily commute a little more fun. Driving in normal mode, the car almost feel like cheap sedan like a Versa, or Yaris. It's very fuel efficient in normal or eco mode, but very boring. I can only recommend using it in heavy traffic or long highway stretch. The suspension is tight but adequately soaks up potholes. There is very little body roll during cornering, well, at least compare to a sedan. It's just fun enough for everyday driving. Fuel efficiency. I have no idea how some reviews reported only 20s in city and 30s on highway. They must beat the heck out of their demos. I like to drive fast and I get consistently 32-34 mpg local and at least 46 on the highway. All I can say is, you got to know what you want. If you want a 2 seater pure sport car buy a miata. If you want to save the planet by getting 50+ mpg, get a prius. If you are like me, want to save gas while still have fun driving, CR-Z is perfect for you. Speaking of the miata, I think both are quite similar in terms of handling and power. Of course, CR-Z is a lot more practical and fuel efficient."

Best Value for a hybrd

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "great price for a single girl on a low budget."

Cons: "only fits 2 people. Not for a family.."

This vehicle is fully loaded. Has everything. Navagation, phone, cruise control and back up camera

"I bought it cus I have a CRV and drive 30 miles on the highway to work and was spending a bunch of money in gas a week. Well now I spend half the money and use the money I was spending on gas for a car payment. Think smart people. I still have my 2003 CRV cus I love it and have never had any issues with it. The CR-Z rides nice and I zip to work and home. Best value for a Hybrid. I love the look and feel of the car. Cant go wrong with a Honda.."

I love this car

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Lots of power. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Hard to see out the back!"

"I average 40 mpg. Can be noisy with the wrong tires. It is a blast to drive. lots of storage in the back. Use caution backing up and changing lanes."

Love This Car

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

"This car has been great!! Just got it about a week ago and could not be happier with it."

Fun to Drive and Easy on the Gas

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "It only holds two people."

"This is a one owner car. I"m the proverbial "little old lady from Pasadena". Has been well taken care with all of it's maintenance kept up. Gets 35 - 38 mpg in town and over 45 on the open road or freeway. Color is a beautiful Northstar Blue. New battery. Original upholstery has had seat covers over it from purchase date, so is in good condition. Loads of storage space. Easy and fun to drive."

wish never bought it. only good thing sometimes

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "ok gas mileage"

Cons: "two many for space allowed"

"the motor will stop at a light.poor rear vision.manual rear view mirror.very stiff ride. buy a seat cushion"

I love my CRZ!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "great fuel economy; fun to drive"

Cons: "placement of heating/cooling vents"

"I had no problems driving my CRZ in the snow last winter. I also get over 40 mpg in the city w/ summer gas. It looks good and has a smooth drive. Even my 6 ft. husband enjoys driving my car (and fits in it as well). The only complaint I have about my car is the placement of the vents for the driver for heating and cooling."

Best Commuter Vehicle For the Money!!

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, Fun Handling, Good Looks, Fairly Priced"

Cons: "Sluggish Acceleration, Little Storage"

"I bought this car with the sole purpose of using it to drive back and forth to work. Since purchasing, I have found to enjoy this little car so much that I drive it more often than any of my vehicles. I drive 85 miles (170 miles round trip) each day to work and average about 4,900 miles/month. I have tracked all of my fuel and overall associated costs for this car to see how I am doing. Since I bought this car, I have averaged 42mpg with the best tank being 46.7mpg and the worst tank being 32.6mpg. In the spreadsheet that I created to track all of my costs, I have determined that this car literally pays for itself when compared to the cost of driving my Toyota Tacoma over the same amount of mileage (to date, I have saved over $9k in fuel costs alone). This car is extremely economical, but still a fun little car that can handle some winding roads with ease. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap & fun little car, but not for anyone with intentions of using it as a family car."

Sporty car with great mileage!

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pros: "Sporty look, awesome gas mileage, fun to drive!"

Cons: "Bad rear visibilty, vent system, and seat comfort"

Nice-looking and sporty!

"Love this car in many ways! Fun to drive, lots of electronics, great engine/transmission, great mileage, sporty look, etc. The three driving mode buttons (ECON, NORMAL, and SPORT) allow for a variety of driving conditions. I am a "spirited" driver, so mileage is secondary to getting to where I want to go fast. On freeways I drive 80-90 mph with the cruise on nearly all the time. That would seem to blow away gas mileage but, in reality, I average 33 mpg overall. If I was a more careful driver driving 55-65, I would get 45+ mpg. Just different styles and goals. Interior is great. All the controls are easy to read and accessible, and there are different colored lights on the speedometer that reflect your current driving habit....very cool. Navigation is good with a large screen. Ventilation is good, however, there could be a better vent style that allows for more directional flow, i.e., towards the torso. The seat fabric is nice and somewhat comfortable, but on long trips the seat lacks comfort. Exterior is very good-looking. Design is sporty and clean, however, rear visibility through the back side of the hatch is awful as there is a support strip that blocks the best view. Very poor design for that. The headlights rock! Brightest halogen lights I've ever seen, and that's important in deer country. Some people complain about the lack of power in this car, but I drive my Honda CR-Z hard, and this car is up to the task. Engine and electric motor run flawlessly and the car is fun to drive. The three-mode change for the engine, coupled with an awesome CVT transmission, make for spirited driving if you want it. Overall, I give this car a two thumbs up."

Nice-looking and sporty!

great balance between fuel effiency and power.

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Great balance between power and fuel effeciency"

Cons: "small size car"

"I am accustome to driving full sized luxery cars. Acquired this Honda CRZ from a relative who was moving. I do find that this car has a great balance between fuel effiency and power."

I Love This Car

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and great comfort. Price low 20s"

Cons: "Could use a little more pep"

"Very stylish and sporty look. Reliability is great. I have had no issues whatsoever. It could use a little more pep, but it is a hybrid and supposed to get great gas mileage, so I guess you can't ask for everything. Riding and driving comfort is good and secure."

nice hybrid sporty car

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "soft handling,"

"brought my civic in to dealer for service, saw this car and had to have it. overall its a great little car, handling could be better, not great mpg for a hybrid but the styling is awesome, 20k miles without a hitch, squeeked 42mpg out of a tank driving conservitavly, 39mpg with normal driving. plenty of storage for groceries and long weekend get aways, it even carries my kayaks cant say anything bad about this sporty hybrid, this one is a keeper"

Good daily driver

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, cheap to fill up."

Cons: "Blind spots! Not very good mpg for a hybrid"

"I own a 2006 Lexus GS300 and bought the CRZ as a daily driver. It's great! Pros / People like the styling, fun car to drive. Cons / Not the best mpg for a hybrid. Blind spots are bad. Advice / buy the little round mirrors for the corners and you will not be bother by the blind spots. Go for the base model and add your own GPS. The EX Nav is dated and not very good."

Love this car!

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage,"

Cons: "No heated seats...but who cares!"

"I was considering a Honda Accord but went into the showroom and this unusual looking sporty hybrid immediately caught my eye. I took it out for a test drive and immediately knew that this was the car for me! The gas mileage is phenomenal and I am continuously complimented on this vehicle by total strangers! I have yet to see another one of these on the road in the area that I live which is why it is such an eye catcher! The ride is smooth, the interior is very comfortable and loaded with some flashy interior design and there is ample cargo space in the rear."

Simply terrible. 4/10.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "Fuel efficiency, Looks, Ect"

Cons: "Awful visibility, CVT Transmission"

"This will, make no mistake, 'do you' as a car, in the same way as Lettuce will 'do you' as a food. It just awful.. The whole thing seems to be constructed like a 1950's polish bread queue.. It felt like everything in this car: the steering, the brakes, the throttle, they're all connected to other things using wall paper paste. I know what Honda means.. dismal, depressing, unadventurous, unimaginative, dreary, hopeless, sad, miserable, beige. It was honestly one of the worst cars I have ever driven, it truly was. However... There are a few good points to be said. The turning circle when doing a u-turn on a busy business connection roads was fantastic, it handled it like a motorcycle, that's how tight the turning circle was.. The braking system was very good, but.. the brake peddle and throttle peddle when first getting into the car seemed very hyper sensitive. A full ABS braking from 55 miles an hour to a standstill on wet, downhill, road, was shockingly good.. Thank's to that, it was reasonably safe.. Then when it comes to the Transmission.. The car I was test driving today was equipped with a CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) - To say the least, it was just terrible. Slow, dimwitted, jerky, I slid backwards and forwards on hills, it ruined the sound of the engine... I would never recommend equipping a car like with a transmission like that. To say the least, I wasn't impressed, I felt a bit sick of how poorly the car had been designed, and for such a mistake by honda, I'm giving it a low 4/10."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Handles nice and tight like the Prelude did (I owned a 1997 Prelude). Responsive, like driving a go-cart! I can easily get 50mpg going to and from work with a 70-minute commute part-hwy and part-city. (I changed my driving habits to maximize fuel efficiency) There's no backseat but you can stuff a lot of things in the trunk area. Great for a couple without children, or for a single person. Very fun to drive!!!"

great compact fun fuel saver

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

"great on gas fun to drive quick for a hybrid great standard options and design"

Excellent fun Hybrid

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "Gas sipper, fast acceleration, fun to drive"

Cons: "No smart key push button start, 2 seats"

"I have driven the Prius, Camry Hybrid, Lexus CT200H"

Great small hybrid car

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Great little car. Best combination between hybrid and a sporty car. Handles good and so far so good no problems at all. Design of this car is great. I get complements right abd left on the car and people can't believe it only cost 22K."

amazing! bought it one year ago today

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "sports car prius eater"

Cons: "side views blind spots still suuuupppper fun!"

brrrr!

"luv love luv love! this car has been the most fun thing i have ever driven,and the best thing to pass a gas station in.... ex navi cvt the paddle shifters really surprise the boys in vettes n the wanna be's in mustangs hahaha."

brrrr!

incredible feat of engineering at this price point

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Marvel of engineering with 3 drive modes in one ca"

Cons: "2 seater can be limiting"

"Great looks, incredibly fun to drive in Sport mode, and 44mpg in one car? Yeah, Honda did it"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Honda CR-Z near Honolulu. See local deals