• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,985 - $22,574.

10/7.7

7.7

Based on 119 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.6/10
    7.6/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

THE BEST EVER!!!

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

Pros: "SAFE, luxury, smooth ride, great price"

Cons: "More leg room for tall people in front and in back"

"This is my 4th Honda and my 2nd CRV. I loved all of them but particularly loved everything about my new EX-L CRV. I've had it 5 months. Unfortunately, last week I was in a serious car accident and my honda may likely be totaled but I was not! Thankful the 2012 Honda CRV was built so strong that it withstood someone broadsiding me on the driver's side door and front quarter panel with a full sized pickup doing approximately 50 mph and they never hit their brakes. All witnesses reported that the car took such a horrible hit and they were amazed that I walked away. Not to say that I was not injured because I was, but I am alive!!"

The perfect family car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Practicality, smooth to drive, thoughtful design."

Cons: "Could have more power I guess."

"This is a car whose excellence cannot be defined by 0-60 times and the numbers on a spec sheet. What it is is the most intelligently designed family car i've come across. I am a former Volvo owner who thought i'd be buying a much more expensive car like an Audi, a TSX wagon, or a Volvo until I tried the CRV. I was so blown away with its combination of price, refinement, and versatility that I bought one. Never thought i'd end up in one but i'm happy I tried it. The interior packaging is exceptional. Despite the fact that the car is not that large on the outside it has tons of rear-seat room and excellent cargo room. The high roofline gives it an airy feel. The interior impresses on many other counts. For instance the large bin between the seats, the conversation mirror/sunglass holder, and the easy fold rear seats are excellent features for families. It also has tons of little spots for interior storage. Those things matter a lot more to families doing real world driving than eight speed transmissions and 280 horsepower engines. Gauges are excellent and buttons are large (at least on the non sat-nav models). The car also drives very well. It isn't meant for charging up a mountain road but the engine is quiet, the transmission is smooth, and road noise is well controlled. It is much quieter than our older Accord and Volvo wagon on the highway. The ride is also pretty good and the handling is car like with excellent steering feel and little body lean. One of the biggest thing that drew me to the car was how smooth and easy it is to drive. It feels like a more expensive machine in terms of refinement. It is not fast by any means but it has no problems keeping up with traffic. 185 horsepower would have been seen as a lot not too long ago. My mileage has been better than the Volvo and Audi wagon's we've had. On highway heavy fill-ups i've averaged as much as 34. I do more city and mixed driving and my overall average has been in the 26-27 range so not brilliant but not bad either. Overall this is a wonderful car. It is exceptionally practical for a family man like me, is not expensive, is smooth to drive, and as a Honda should last a long time. It also has excellent safety ratings which matter a lot to me. I would absolutely buy it again."

Great overall vehicle

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "MPG, space, std equipment, reliability"

Cons: "passing power, driver's mirror, flat seat cushions"

"Have had the CRV EX-L for a little over 3 mos now. Not a thing has problem. Fit and finish is excellent. Controls, radio are perfect. And the space within such a small vehicle cannot be topped. Pros - Space, MPG (31.5 avg), smoothness on highway, radio clarity, just an overall great package Cons - Lack of midrange power to pass with (a real dog there), wind buffering on the highway with the glass down even just a bit, driver mirror is useless, lack of downshifting option on the transmission (would help w/passing), better designed seat cushions. All, but the power are rather minor. For midterm changes I hope they add 10-15 additional HP (I'll take the MPG loss), better driver seat design, an easier USB plug-in port, 6 sp transmission w/downshifting capability) Even without the changes they will still sell fast"

It's a Honda

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "less road noise, great MPG, Best quality"

Cons: "no programmable seat, no garage opener"

"What can I say, every other car on the road is not a Honda. Quality and reliability cannot be topped. I ended up leasing the 2012 for my wife and she absoluley loves it. She upgraded from a 2000 Civic and have not looked back. I am a "Honda guy" and own all Honda cars (besides my truck), power equipment, motorcycle, etc. and I have not been disappointed yet!"

smooth

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Honda quality and fun to drive"

Cons: "kind of expensive for the features included (EX)"

Basque Red-AWD

"last tank avg mpg was 31.24, pretty good considering only 1500 total miles. Engine is very quiet, ride is smooth, controls are simple. Honda could improve the radio, offer XM standard and homelink/auto dim mirror. Would also like a leather steering wheel on the EX and power lifgate."

Basque Red-AWD

Love this car

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive , hands free link a plus"

Cons: "none so far"

"I traded in a 2008 EX-L to get all the extra features I wanted. I have had the car since Feb and it is great in the snow. Great pick up for a 4 cylinder, no problem passing on country roads. Great comfort Love everything about it!"

Awesome car for your money

By on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage, roomy"

Cons: "driver's side mirror annoying"

"This car is awesome! Traded up for this from a 2008 CR-V which I also loved. This has a bit more space and gets better gas mileage; I average about 31 hwy. I like the i-Mid screen how it can be personalized and the display. Controls on the steering wheel are confusing at first but easy to navigate after a while. The model I have is an EX-L so I have the leather seats which are nice but could be a bit more comfy. Back-up camera really helps too. The only thing I'm disappointed in are little things. The driver's side mirror and how it has what is known as an "extended view display"-the idea behind it is the mirror is divided almost in half and the outer part has a different kind of mirror that's supposed to let the driver see over an extra lane. In my experience all it's been is not helpful but frustrating-it distorts my vision in the mirror so I have to rely on only the normal half of the mirror. I'm thinking of just getting it replaced. Also, the air vent is positioned right where the 10/2 hand placement is on the steering wheel so if I hold my steering wheel like you're supposed to, my hand gets frozen from the air vent blowing straight on it. I just hold the steering wheel a little different to avoid that issue. Other than that, I love the space"

best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Great value. Roomy inside. Tons of technology."

"I have owned 4 honda cars and this is by far my favorite."

Too Many Improvements to Mention

By on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Pros: "Easy to Steer, Comfortable Leather Seats"

Cons: "Parking Brake Location, No Homelink"

"The 2012 Honda CRV-L is a completely different car than the 1999 Honda CRV that I traded in. It is roomier, has 40 more horse power (overpowered actually), yet gets better gas mileage due to its lower roof line. I have a bad back and got a back ache just sitting for 5 minutes in the previous year (2011) CRV-L. The leather seats in the 2012 are greatly improved. No back ache even after a long trip. The graphics on the navigation system are outdated but the system works well. The maps are more up to date than Google maps, it has a touch screen, correctly routed me to my destination, love the travel directions on the second screen and the speech recognition works even with moderate road noise (something Garmin can't do). I don't know what the complaint about 5 speed versus 6 speed transmission is about. The 5 speed is a proven reliable transmission. The transmission and engine on the 1999 CRV I traded in were still in perfect running condition. A few of my complaints (and these are more for Honda engineers): 1. The placement of the parking brake could be better. 2. No Homelink. I fixed this by adding a Gentex 41A mirror with homelink and Honda 08V03-TOA-100 accessory kit. The kit comes with excellent installation instructions and is easier to install than it looks. 3. No power lift gate. The local Acura dealer tells me that the RDX actuator won't fit on the CRV. The Acura RDX is an up scale version of the CRV, but costs $10000 more plus $5000 additional for fuel (lower mpg premium gas). This is the reason I rated the CRV so high."

Reliable vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good gas mileage, cool features"

Cons: "a little road noise but not overwhelming"

"I bought the EX model back in April. I have put 2800 miles so far on the vehicle. I have to say I love this vehicle. I traded in a heavy V6 model to get better gas mileage. The vehicle has lived up to my expectations. I feel the vehicle drives better the more miles I put on it. I am averaging around 29 miles per gallon with mixed driving. I find the vehicle to be smooth, easy to drive, and love all the features. I am very happy I made this purchase. I knew the moment I sat in the vehicle for a test drive that I would make a good choice in purchasing the vehicle. I recommed if you have doubts about purchasing to take a test drive and see how amazing this CRV really is."

Smooth, Comfortable, and Quiet ride

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Really fun to drive, it's as smooth as a car"

Cons: "Stereo could be stronger."

"I have now had this 2012 CR-V for 1 month, and I'm averaging 32 mpg (400 miles per 12 1/2 gallons of gas). Having a 1997 Jimmy GMC before this I was putting in 20.00 of gas every other day. Now I only put in 40.00 a week (saving at least 40.00 a week, helps to make the payments, do the math that's 160 to 200/month) If you decide to get this car over the Equinox you will not be disappointed, you should test drive them both and make your own decision, I know I have. Get the navigation system as you will not be disappointed with all the neat gadgets. The xm radio is really nice, along with the cool navigation system you will never be lost or ask for directions. Oh ya this car talks to you, with things like put on your seat belt, etc... and you can talk back to it asking for the nearest... just about anything. It's like having a phone book in your car without having to open it. So far my highest mpg trip was 42 mpg on a 30 mile trip, maybe I had the wind behind me and the elevation going down, keep in mind this was at a speed of 55-60. Now I have done a 80 mile trip @ 70 mph and only got 31-33 mpg, seems to do best 55-60. The rear fold down seats really do come in handy, as I had some big long parts I needed to put into the back and was able do so very easily. The Stereo is nice, could be a little stronger"

I have driven faster cars.

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "comfortable to drive"

Cons: "none so far"

"I had a jeep liberty for 9 years and enjoyed it very much. Gas millage poor. Therefore I went for better millage suv, CRV XL And I believe Honda is very reliable. People who own have nothing bad to say about Honda's reliability."

Best Choice for Small SUV

By on Friday, May 25, 2012

Pros: "Perfect size, economical, high tech"

Cons: "Wish it had a little more power"

"Great gas mileage. Decent ride quality, fairly quite at highway speeds. My wife loves it! I do too. I think the white is the best color. All EXL's come with just about all the bells and whistles standard. Not real powerful but that is no deal breaker for me. I am more concerned about what happens at the gas pump and that is where this car shines. If you drive 45 mph, you get 45 mpg. Try it on your test drive and you will see this is true. It is easy to park and the rear view camera has three viewing angles, really cool and useful. The radio is excellent in the EXL. I think the radio gets a little more features in this model. Buy one and you will never want to go back to anything else. Just don't expect it to do more than it is designed for (it will not replace a full size SUV). A perfect vehicle for someone who wants an SUV but not the gas bill and the parking issues that come with owning a large vehicle."

Computer Controller Problem Update

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "Styling and Drive"

Cons: "iMID Display Issues"

"Repair Update: 5/7/12 - Honda dealership technician performed all diagnostic tests per Honda Engineering (Reset System, Voltage/Resistance, Wiring/Cable Reel, Audio Unit, Remote Switch, HFL Unit) - finally narrowed down the problem to be a faulty Multi-Info Display Unit (NOT a "Computer Controller Unit" as I was originally told it was called). After replacement, the Phone, Setup (NOT the "Settings" button as originally stated), and Audio/Display functions/operations (Remote and Dash) all checked out OK, and the repair confirmed/closed. Honda DPSM said no other problems like this have been reported in his zone. Nice to have my new vehicle back - Honda provided (upon prompting by the dealership SM) a Goodwill gesture of a free accessory (except wheels) item. Issue closed."

Computer Controller Problems

By on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Pros: "Styling and Drive"

Cons: "Computer Controller Issues"

"Right from the get-go, my brand new 2012 CR-V seems to have arrived with some sort of a computer controller problem, specifically with not allowing my iPhone to pair, and also problems with the iMID control functions. Symptoms started as they delivered my new vehicle to me with non-functioning Phone and Setting buttons (no response to the press). Then, problems also surfaced with the steering-mounted Display and Audio Channel toggle buttons (eratic, sometimes uncontrollable, screen movements between settings), in addition to the same eratic control of the Aux iPod control functions through the dashboard. Other functions not working include the customized Wallpaper input and some Back button functionality. Most other computer controlled adjustments (sound system, door settings, vehicle info, etc.) seem to be working properly, although at a very slow response rate like an old 486 PC that receives too many input commands at once and slows to a snails pace. At first, the dealer tried to perform a software re-install - that didn't work. Then, they replaced the Audio hardware unit without solving the problem either. Now, Honda Engineering is in contact with Panasonic to replace the Computer System Controller unit that apparently the phone and audio systems pass through to process command functions (which, by the way, I mentioned to the dealer right off was perhaps the problem - I know a few things about computers). I'm a bit concerned that a CARFAX report will show warranty work right off the bat with this vehicle, and that they're already plowing into the dash with repeated repairs - but not as much as just wanting these problems resolved - I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this same kind of problem with their new, 2012 CR-V, and what was done to resolve the issue."

The BEST little SUV on the Market

By on Monday, April 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great looks and good gas milage too!"

Cons: "Not a one."

"This is my 3rd CRV EX, I had a 2004, 2007 and now this much improved 2012. Honda is doing the right thing by not changing it too much, but just enough to make it better than the model before. It's alot quieter then my 2007 and the seats are more supportive. The milage is better as well, I'm getting 24/25 around town in the ECO mode. I looked at other cars, but really felt this was the best of the bunch! I've owned other Honda's(Accords) as well and you just can't beat them for the quality they put into their auto's and their resale value. I was waiting for the new 2012 CRV to get here and it just doesn't disappoint in any way! I highly recommend it!"

I love this car EXL

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "great price under 27000"

Cons: "n one"

"nice ride looks great fun to drive"

EXCELLENT "SUV" for the Money!

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "Quality and handling"

Cons: "Nav, and lack of no turbo 4 nor V6 option"

"We test drove a lot of vehicles (Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Audi, BMW, Acura…all compact SUV's) before we test drove the CRV (last vehicle driven), and I can tell you that for the money (excluding the luxury brands I drove…in that category, the Q5 was the best overall) it was the best overall vehicle! From quality to handling, none can beat it. The handling was surprisingly good. I come from driving German engineered coupes, and I had no idea what to expect when I drove the crossovers besides lack of soul. Some were mushy and free of any feedback like the Edge and MDX, some were too stiff for what the vehicle was manufactured for. The CRV did not have the best looking interior, but it did feel like a $30K interior unlike it's other competitors that were over $30K and didn't feel like it. The quality of the interior is very good (nice leather and plastic inside). The best thing about the interior is how roomy it is. For such a "small" vehicle, it was very roomy inside. I had two friends that are 6'2" in the back with my seat all the way back and they still had room to move their legs. I love the split seat fold downs with the one stop shop lever pull. The only gripe I have about the interior is the very outdated looking/feeling NAV. Do not like the NAV. drive/handling was excellent compared to it's competitors (definitely needs either a turbo or a V6 option. C'MON HONDA get on that boat already! Compared to it's other 4 cylinder competitors, it was the best. The ride was smooth, yet car like and lots of feedback from the road (a very good thing in which you actually enjoy driving the CRV). The engine is smooth as well. I know the exterior is a little "controversial"; however, I love it. It's got nice lines to the sheet metal and is not trying to overdo anything nor does it look overpowering to the eyes. I think it's conservative, yet modern. I think the hardcore CRV owners that are looking to upgrade to the 2012 model will be very happy, while people like me, new to the crossover market and looking to get a compact "SUV" under $30K, will be very happy with the CRV as well and will find it hard to get the same quality/handling/reliability under $30K from other vehicles."

Love Honda's

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I love this car - Honda's are my favorites have owned Civic, Accord and now my CRV Love it"

See if you qualify for