2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,796 - $22,576.

10/7.7

7.6

Based on 257 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.6/10
    7.6/10

great price and interior room

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Pros: "Price, interior space, bluetooth features."

Cons: "No passenger armrests. Cheap and thin plastic int"

"Very nice CR-V with decent power and features. My only complaint is the cheap look and feel of some interior plastic items. I own a 2007 Pilot and everything seems a bit more fit and trim. The plastic look and thiness cheapens this vehicle. Otherwise I am pleased and expect great Honda reliability."

Third new Honda for me

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Value and Reliable"

Cons: "A V/6 would a great, option Not available"

"This 2012 CRV EX AWD. Purchased new a year and a half ago. I use to commute from Phila. International Airport to Owasso Oklahoma. Once a month About a Two Thousand Six Hundred and seventy five mile round trip. Vehicle was quiet and smooth. my average mpg on these trips was about 27mpg. not bad considering some of my trip was through the PA mountains. handled well in sloppy weather. People all have opinion's an myself no different. From the view of an Aircraft Quality Control Inspector. This is a well rounded vehicle for the price. One recommended piece of advise. Not an efficient vehicle to tow with. I towed an 6x10 U-Haul on one long trip. total weight of trailer and contents two thousand lbs.16 mpg and a rough experience driving even with the proper hitch set up. Like I stated earlier This is My Third new Honda. There's a very good reason Honda buyers come back. One word. REALIABLE!"

Love my CR-V!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "good value for the money, stylish design, reliable"

"Pros: This vehicle gets pretty decent gas mileage for its size. I average about 24/25 with a mix of city and highway driving. It is a smooth, comfortable ride. The seats are comfy on a long trip and in the winter, the seat heaters are wonderful! Loads of storage space in the back with the seats up and by putting them down, there's even more room! Cons: It can be a bear to keep clean. The way the iMid screen is designed so it's recessed, that little cubby gathers dust frequently. Also, the way the ledge above the cup holders is designed (where the seat heater switches are), gathers crumbs in the crease easily and are hard to remove. The center console has a garage-like cover with grooves that collect crumbs too. The way the front windshield wipers are designed create a suction that pulls the water into the driver's line of sight. Most of the time when it's not raining hard, it's no big deal. But if it's a downpour, I can hardly see because of this. My 08 CRV did this too, and I would've thought it was something Honda would've fixed, but they still need to work on it. The driver's side mirror edge has a different type of mirror built in that's supposed to eliminate blind spots, but all it does is obscure the view on the edge of that mirror. The pedals are a bit touchy. You don't have to press hard to get a response, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference. Overall, I'd recommend the CR-V to anyone who's looking for a smaller SUV with some style. It holds its value and is very easy to maintain."

Not as good as expected

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Beautiful looking automobile. Our CR-V EX-L power seats allow positioning to accommodate our heights and medical conditions very well. The ride is comfortable; the views both forward and aft are good. If you want acceleration, it's there. There are some issues. The cover that hides the rear storage space rattles unless it is latched in the extended position. The rear seats have a significant gap between the seat itself and the seat back. My last vehicle (RAV4) had the fold down seats and had a much cleaner look. The drivers side arm rest is flimsy, it needs to be replaced as it has bent downward 2-3 inches. The arm rest should be strong enough to accommodate a 195 lb man leaning on it. The blue tooth was simple to configure to both an IPhone and Galaxy Nexus but people on the receiving end have complained that the voice is inconsistent. I've been on the receiving end and can vouch for that."

smooth

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Honda quality and fun to drive"

Cons: "kind of expensive for the features included (EX)"

Basque Red-AWD

"last tank avg mpg was 31.24, pretty good considering only 1500 total miles. Engine is very quiet, ride is smooth, controls are simple. Honda could improve the radio, offer XM standard and homelink/auto dim mirror. Would also like a leather steering wheel on the EX and power lifgate."

Basque Red-AWD

disappointed

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "comfortable"

Cons: "vibration and road noise"

"vibration between 1000-2000 rpm while excelerating. also strong vibration at stop lite and in gear. I test drove 2 different crv 2015 both were fwd and were perfect. now I have these problems with the awd. most complaints seam to be from the awd."

Honda seems to be falling behind the competition

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Honda quality and resale makes the car a smart buy"

Cons: "The Honda CRV ramains a baisc limited options car"

"I traded my 2004 CRV in Dec 2012. I originally wanted another CRV, that is until I compared it with the Mazda CX-5. I was looking for as much technology as I could get in my price range. On my "must" list was buying a car with Blind Spot Warning. Honda didn't offer that option but Mazda did. Mazda also offered quite a bit of other stuff Honda didn't. Fast forward to Nov 2014. I'm trading my wife's Maxima. I noticed the new CRV has the blind spot warning now, so I go to a Honda dealer to check the car out. The Honda version of Blind Spot warning struck me as odd to say the least. It uses a camera instead of a warning light and it only covers the right side of the vehicle. I asked the salesman why it didn't provide coverage for the drivers side. He said Honda didn't think the drivers side blind spot was a problem. Huh? The drivers side outside mirror had something similar to what Ford offers built into the glass. Not all that helpful at night or during bad weather. I didn't think the camera was all that helpful either. I just want to know if a car is in my blind spot I don't need to see it, and I'm wondering how the camera works in bad weather and at night. Anyway, after checking out Honda, Ford and Toyota, I ended up buying another Mazda CX-5."

Comfortable, economical and dependable.

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, good gas mileage."

Cons: "Iphone not fully compatible, low air tire warning."

"I bought this little truck in december 2012 and I am very satisfied. I plan to drive this vehicle all over the United States and Canada and I bought this one because it has the best reliability record. So far it can handle cold weather nicely (-31 Fahrenheit) and the AWD is flawless on ice and snow. Power is plenty for my need since I do not plan to tow anything. The transmission is able to make easily any passing maneuver on highway even if it's only a 5 speed. Seats are heated and very comfortable, so far my legs and buttocks feel good after a 3 hour ride. Car handles great to my taste, of course I did not expect it to take corners like a car since it is a little truck. Fit & finish inside and out is very good, not to noisy in the cabin and sound system is quite adequate as well. Only 3 things: 1) I don't know which tire is low when the low air tire indicator goes on. 2) One time out of 20 I have to reboot my iPhone for it to sync properly in bluetooth (My phone list or the name of the songs doesn't appear. 3) The auto text messaging function does not work with iPhone 4S. I prefer to keep my vehicle for at least 8 to10 years. So I bought this Honda CRV because I hate to spend my time at the dealer for defects and problems. Others have cute gadgets like automatic tailgate that opens when you wave your foot and park assist systems but unless you have a CRV or a Toyota RAV4 you don't have the same reliability, peace of mind and a decent resale value."

Dream turned into a nightmare.

By on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"Purchased the 2015 CRV-EX in December. While searching for something I dropped, I noticed the cloth upholstery on the driver's side (beside the console) was completely unattached from the seat. Raw edge, with points cut out in it as if to match it to another piece of fabric. (Those that sew would know what I'm talking about.) At the very least you would think the edge would be turned under and stitched. I contacted the dealership and told to bring the car in; which I did. After inspection from two people working in the Service Dept., a new seat cover was ordered. The replacement is exactly the same...only worse! They are saying it is apparently a "design flaw" when the car was engineered; as they have found others on the lot with the same issue. I loved the car up to this point, but it doesn't speak highly of the quality of either the design or inspections. If they would let this go and not claim the problem and offer at least a compensation for my time and trouble in trying to have a new car seat repaired, what else might be going on inside that "passed inspection?" This issue is just with the driver's seat. We have contacted a local custom shop to recover all the seats in leather. (The cloth looks nice, but shows mystery stains.) INSPECT BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!!! PS: There is some vibration when car is idling, but I don't find it bothersome."

Updated Review!

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Amount of room and good reliability so far"

Cons: "VERY outdated technology (NAV)"

"This is an updated review from my last review on 18 March 2012 titled, "EXCELLENT "SUV" for the Money!" Now that I have done some traveling and put a good amount of miles on it, I'd like to do an updated. I am still very pleased with the purchase and still believe that for the money, there really isn't anything better. Some things I don't like are (some are still from my first review): * The infotainment system (NAV, radio, bluetooth...), can't stand it, still feels and looks outdated and slow to respond, not intuitive at all. I have owned multiple German brand products and their infotainment system is outstanding! I know we are comparing apples to oranges in technology but Honda could seriously give that system a boost for not much money. So if I were you, skip the NAV and buy a portable one. * Gas mileage is good (maybe 22 to 24 mpg's at the most...I think just as advertised); however, it could be better since others in it's class has better mpg's. * Driving dynamics are good; however, any slight wind will sway the car; never really experienced that much swaying in other vehicles unless it was really high winds. * Very underpowered whenever you are merging on the highway or want to pass...not a good feeling to have. I really think Honda needs to get a turbo on that engine or get a V6 option that gives more torque. The things I like: * ROOMY for a small CUV. I can't believe the amount of stuff I can fit in there! That is the biggest selling point if you want a small CUV with a LOT of room. I did a couple of long haul trips with a toddler (if you have kids, you know the amount of stuff you will take with you); also, I moved lots of boxes during a household move. Those fold down seats give you a ridiculous amount of room. * Comfortable on long trips. I made a couple of 600+ mile trips and it was really good. * So far, very reliable. I do get some weird engine noise on first start up whenever the weather was cold. I don't think it's anything major though, just a cold start up. * I like the maintenance display because it tells you how much life the oil has left. I have had 3 oil changes in the last 18000 miles (so about every 5K miles I get one or when the display says 15% life left). The reason why I am giving this CUV a 10 (even though I had some complaints) is because my needs of room and reliability for buying a small CUV were definitely met. I am definitely keeping the vehicle for as long as it runs good."

Thought it was the best vehicle ever until...

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

"My car ran great until I got a recall notice on it. They said it had a problem in cold weather, something to do with the shifter. After they fixed it the gear shifter kept hanging up when I tried to put it in park. It would only go in after multiple attempts. One of the power charger outlets quit working unless you held the cord and pushed it in a certain way. It would do this multiple times and stop for several weeks. Of course by the time I could get it to the shop it had quit each time. I asked them to check it anyway and they always told me they couldn't find anything wrong. I finally took it to a different dealership to see if they could fix it. My car was still under warranty. They told me each dealership is privately owned and if the first dealer broke it they are responsible for fixing it. They did acknowledge that the power port had a short but told me I had to go back to the original dealer for that too. Very disappointing. I won't buy a Honda again because of this!!!"

Not built for cold weather

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Interior, price, trunk space"

Cons: "Rear door latch, wiper fluid - freeze up"

"While this car drives well tin the snow, especially with snow tires, for some reason, the rear door latch freezes shut gand cannot be opened when temps drop below 20-ish degrees. Also, the windshield wiper fluid freezes - ?! At first I thought I got a version built just for Hawaii. I took it in and the dealer replaced the rear latch and drained and refilled the wiper fluid. Slight improvement on the wiper fluid. It seems to withstand lower temps but still froze up eventually. Rear latch still freezes shut and then works fine when temps warm up. Dealer says they are waiting to see if Honda will do anything. Can't find any indication that Honda even is acknowledging the problem, but apparently I'm not the only customer our dealer has heard from. If it weren't for these issues , I'd rate higher, but an inaccessible trunk and touchy wiper fluid isn't helpful in a cold, mountainous state like Colorado! I recently told a friend looking to buy to NOT buy a CRV unless they've fixed this with the 2014."

Fine quality, as expected

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "great size, great price, much standard equipment"

Cons: "dealer was difficult in negotiations"

"Bought this vehicle after reviewing and testing others in the class. It has the size needed for my family (we are large people), has plenty of interior room for the price. Drives very comfortably. A round trip from Citrus Co. to Orlando (Florida)and back averaged 35.9 MPG with in-town, turnpike and local road driving included, certainly more than we expected. We purchased the LX base model and it has all the amenities we desired. Love the car."

2009 CRV

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort, reliable, excellent in snow"

Cons: "tires, seats stain easily and nasty blind spot"

"This car is roomy and comfortable and is a beast in the snow. Very reliable and gas mileage was great. The only downfall was the seats stain very easily. I have grey cloth and you spill water on them and they stain. There is a nasty blind spot in the back and with under 20000 miles, I had to put new tires on the vehicle. If you buy this vehicle, upgrade and get better tires, the Bridgestone Dueler HP tires are lowsy. I would like to buy another one, but I do not like the options they have for tires at my local dealership"

Not likely to own another CR-V

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pros: "Good utility and space"

Cons: "Noisy, rough ride, poor radio,"

"This is a leased 2012 EX AWD model. Mileage is nowhere near combined 26 advertised - maybe 24 highway, 21 city. Vehicle is noisy, and has a very poor radio and speakers. Every crack in the road is felt. OEM tires almost worn out at 24,400 miles. Pretty disappointed overall."

Terrible cruise control, poor defroster

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage good appearance"

Cons: "Cruise control, defroster, air conditioner"

"Cruise control drops up to 8 mph going up a hill and gains that much going down. Dealer says the 15 mph speed variation is "normal and within guidelines". I have been driving with cruise controls since they were introduced and have never seen dramatic fluctuations like this even when the technology was new. It is too bad that Honda finds this acceptable. Side window fogs making it difficult or impossible to see side mirror. Defroster doesn't help. Seems to be a design flaw particularly in humid climates. Heater works great unfortunately I live in the south and the air conditioner is not adequate on hot days."

Battery Issue resolved by dealer

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun and functionsal"

Cons: "Better storage. Console space limited"

"I DID have a battery issue (had the key "on" with the "Auto" feature for headlights and the battery went dead within 25 minutes!) However, I complained mightily when I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the battery with a better one. I have had no further batery issues. I traded in a Saab when Saab went out of business, so I was VERY spoiled by all the Saab had to offer - LOVED that car. But I needed something roomier, also very reliable - that I could use for travel, hauling misc stuff. It took me a while to adjust to driving this vehicle as opposed to a sports car - but I am a true convert now. The controls are easy to manage while driving. I did not get the navigation (got the entertainment option instead) as I prefer my own GPS. I do wish there was an automatic release to open the back hatch. I am getting GREAT milage so don't understand the issues others have claimed. I routinely get 31 or better on road trips, and around 25 city. I am very pleased with this purchase."

Outstanding Purchase

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "A very good driver, nicely styled, comfortable."

Cons: "Power seat for driver, outside rearview mirror"

"We are very impressed with our 2012 CR-V. The car handles extremely well. Steering is quick and the electric assisted power steering takes some getting used to but after a few drives becomes very comfortable. New drivers should pay attention to not "drift" with the quick steering. The interior is very nicely appointed with easy use of controls and visability of instrumentation. The front seat area provides freedom of movement, comfortable seats and nice storage in the center console. The standard rearview camera is a really nice safety feature. The rear seating area is comfortable and very adequate to seat two full sized adults plus one smaller adult in the middle. Rear storage is very adequate enhanced even more so by folding down the rear seats. The "one-touch" fold down rear seats from either the side or rear of the vehicle is awesome. The design and styling of the CR-V is very impressive. You are provided ease of ingress into the vehicle and ease of egress too. The CR-V gives you the feel of driving a passenger car with the utility of an SUV. The power of the CR-V is very adequate. My last vehicle was powered by a 5.7 "Hemi" and while the CR-V is no "Hemi," power is very adequate to meet all driving requirements including passing even while in the "ECO" driving mode. This vehicle is outstanding in every respect."

Computer Controller Problem Update

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "Styling and Drive"

Cons: "iMID Display Issues"

"Repair Update: 5/7/12 - Honda dealership technician performed all diagnostic tests per Honda Engineering (Reset System, Voltage/Resistance, Wiring/Cable Reel, Audio Unit, Remote Switch, HFL Unit) - finally narrowed down the problem to be a faulty Multi-Info Display Unit (NOT a "Computer Controller Unit" as I was originally told it was called). After replacement, the Phone, Setup (NOT the "Settings" button as originally stated), and Audio/Display functions/operations (Remote and Dash) all checked out OK, and the repair confirmed/closed. Honda DPSM said no other problems like this have been reported in his zone. Nice to have my new vehicle back - Honda provided (upon prompting by the dealership SM) a Goodwill gesture of a free accessory (except wheels) item. Issue closed."

Best car we've ever owned, by far.

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Exceptional quality, comfortable seating smooth"

"The 2014 Honda CR-V EX FWD is the best car we've owned in the last 30 years. This is our 3rd Honda and it is the smoothest, quietest and most comfortable car we could imagine. We've also owned Toyota and Jeeps, but this car is just appealing in so many ways. It has a very understated elegance. There's no flash that will go out of style next year. It's like an Apple computer. Very simple design and appearance. The ride is very smooth and the cabin is exceptionally quiet compared to other crossover SUV's we test drove. We thought we could go with the Toyota RAV, just to see if we could leave Honda. But, for us, it didn't compare. The fit and finish of the interior seems to be of a higher priced auto. The seats were exceptionally comfortable, and we both have bad backs. It is a pleasure to drive around the city."

Smooth, Comfortable, and Quiet ride

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Really fun to drive, it's as smooth as a car"

Cons: "Stereo could be stronger."

"I have now had this 2012 CR-V for 1 month, and I'm averaging 32 mpg (400 miles per 12 1/2 gallons of gas). Having a 1997 Jimmy GMC before this I was putting in 20.00 of gas every other day. Now I only put in 40.00 a week (saving at least 40.00 a week, helps to make the payments, do the math that's 160 to 200/month) If you decide to get this car over the Equinox you will not be disappointed, you should test drive them both and make your own decision, I know I have. Get the navigation system as you will not be disappointed with all the neat gadgets. The xm radio is really nice, along with the cool navigation system you will never be lost or ask for directions. Oh ya this car talks to you, with things like put on your seat belt, etc... and you can talk back to it asking for the nearest... just about anything. It's like having a phone book in your car without having to open it. So far my highest mpg trip was 42 mpg on a 30 mile trip, maybe I had the wind behind me and the elevation going down, keep in mind this was at a speed of 55-60. Now I have done a 80 mile trip @ 70 mph and only got 31-33 mpg, seems to do best 55-60. The rear fold down seats really do come in handy, as I had some big long parts I needed to put into the back and was able do so very easily. The Stereo is nice, could be a little stronger"

Computer Controller Problems

By on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Pros: "Styling and Drive"

Cons: "Computer Controller Issues"

"Right from the get-go, my brand new 2012 CR-V seems to have arrived with some sort of a computer controller problem, specifically with not allowing my iPhone to pair, and also problems with the iMID control functions. Symptoms started as they delivered my new vehicle to me with non-functioning Phone and Setting buttons (no response to the press). Then, problems also surfaced with the steering-mounted Display and Audio Channel toggle buttons (eratic, sometimes uncontrollable, screen movements between settings), in addition to the same eratic control of the Aux iPod control functions through the dashboard. Other functions not working include the customized Wallpaper input and some Back button functionality. Most other computer controlled adjustments (sound system, door settings, vehicle info, etc.) seem to be working properly, although at a very slow response rate like an old 486 PC that receives too many input commands at once and slows to a snails pace. At first, the dealer tried to perform a software re-install - that didn't work. Then, they replaced the Audio hardware unit without solving the problem either. Now, Honda Engineering is in contact with Panasonic to replace the Computer System Controller unit that apparently the phone and audio systems pass through to process command functions (which, by the way, I mentioned to the dealer right off was perhaps the problem - I know a few things about computers). I'm a bit concerned that a CARFAX report will show warranty work right off the bat with this vehicle, and that they're already plowing into the dash with repeated repairs - but not as much as just wanting these problems resolved - I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this same kind of problem with their new, 2012 CR-V, and what was done to resolve the issue."

Glad I bought - 2015 CRV EXL AWD

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "great interior on EXL trim, nice technology"

Cons: "none so far"

"When researching this SUV I read all the negative reviews about vibration when the car is in idle. So I took a long test drive about 30 minutes and gave it plenty of opportunity to idle after it was warmed up. I noticed a tiny vibration once, but no more than my old Lexus RX did. So, I bought the car and can honestly say I haven't noticed any vibration. So far, I love the car and all the tech features and LED headlights - it's a pretty car! Glad I listened to Skeletor and bought it. ;) I specifically wanted to come on here and give my review after being nearly scared off by some of the negative reviews I read. Maybe something improved in production since it was very first introduced."

Good quality. Comfort sub par. Noisy, rough ride.

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Dependable. Retains value. Handles well."

Cons: "Noisy, stiff ride, rear visibility poor."

"First time Honda owner. Overall did not meet expectations, especially in regard to comfort. Spartan interior.Handles well. Road noise noticeable."

great vehicle for the money !

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

"I purchased a 2013 the first part of the year,I was looking for a vehicle with some cargo space ,and good MPG,and good resale value,the crv fit the bill.The car now has 17000+ miles no issues averaging 27 MPG,thats driving easy,gets 30 to 32 on highway,nice ride ,bluetooth works well,put after market wheels on it to give it a sportier look,gets a lot of compliments with wheel change,would buy again, just wish it had a little more room."