2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,796 - $22,576.

10/7.7

7.6

Based on 257 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.6/10
    7.6/10

Great reliable SUV

By on Friday, July 17, 2015

Pros: "Great looking, good gas mileage and rearview camer"

Cons: "AC takes time to reach 2nd row"

"i bought a certified 2014 Honda CRV LX model 5 months back. I have driven over 5000 miles on it and my overall impression is positive on this SUV. LX model has the rear view camera and also an LCD screen where you can display photo from your USB device. it's roomy for 5 passengers. Cargo space is just enough and the flexibility to fold the second row seats 60/40 is an added advantage. i get a combined mileage of 26.5 When you talk about Honda you are talking about reliability and resale value. I guess this CRV forsure stands by that."

low 20 mpg city / 30 highway

By on Saturday, August 29, 2015

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Underpower..."

"Bought this car a year ago. Pros : Riliable i did a road trip philadelphia to west coast this summer : no issues cons : Mpg not as good in City ( 20 mpg in summer, 18 mpg in winter) even though Highway is good (30 mpg) Not enough power in mountain or acceleration, it needs something extra. Overall a reliable car but Mpg are not that great especially City, it miss punch, extra power ( sometime frustrating)"

EXCELLENT "SUV" for the Money!

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "Quality and handling"

Cons: "Nav, and lack of no turbo 4 nor V6 option"

"We test drove a lot of vehicles (Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Audi, BMW, Acura…all compact SUV's) before we test drove the CRV (last vehicle driven), and I can tell you that for the money (excluding the luxury brands I drove…in that category, the Q5 was the best overall) it was the best overall vehicle! From quality to handling, none can beat it. The handling was surprisingly good. I come from driving German engineered coupes, and I had no idea what to expect when I drove the crossovers besides lack of soul. Some were mushy and free of any feedback like the Edge and MDX, some were too stiff for what the vehicle was manufactured for. The CRV did not have the best looking interior, but it did feel like a $30K interior unlike it's other competitors that were over $30K and didn't feel like it. The quality of the interior is very good (nice leather and plastic inside). The best thing about the interior is how roomy it is. For such a "small" vehicle, it was very roomy inside. I had two friends that are 6'2" in the back with my seat all the way back and they still had room to move their legs. I love the split seat fold downs with the one stop shop lever pull. The only gripe I have about the interior is the very outdated looking/feeling NAV. Do not like the NAV. drive/handling was excellent compared to it's competitors (definitely needs either a turbo or a V6 option. C'MON HONDA get on that boat already! Compared to it's other 4 cylinder competitors, it was the best. The ride was smooth, yet car like and lots of feedback from the road (a very good thing in which you actually enjoy driving the CRV). The engine is smooth as well. I know the exterior is a little "controversial"; however, I love it. It's got nice lines to the sheet metal and is not trying to overdo anything nor does it look overpowering to the eyes. I think it's conservative, yet modern. I think the hardcore CRV owners that are looking to upgrade to the 2012 model will be very happy, while people like me, new to the crossover market and looking to get a compact "SUV" under $30K, will be very happy with the CRV as well and will find it hard to get the same quality/handling/reliability under $30K from other vehicles."

Awesome car for your money

By on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, great gas mileage, roomy"

Cons: "driver's side mirror annoying"

"This car is awesome! Traded up for this from a 2008 CR-V which I also loved. This has a bit more space and gets better gas mileage; I average about 31 hwy. I like the i-Mid screen how it can be personalized and the display. Controls on the steering wheel are confusing at first but easy to navigate after a while. The model I have is an EX-L so I have the leather seats which are nice but could be a bit more comfy. Back-up camera really helps too. The only thing I'm disappointed in are little things. The driver's side mirror and how it has what is known as an "extended view display"-the idea behind it is the mirror is divided almost in half and the outer part has a different kind of mirror that's supposed to let the driver see over an extra lane. In my experience all it's been is not helpful but frustrating-it distorts my vision in the mirror so I have to rely on only the normal half of the mirror. I'm thinking of just getting it replaced. Also, the air vent is positioned right where the 10/2 hand placement is on the steering wheel so if I hold my steering wheel like you're supposed to, my hand gets frozen from the air vent blowing straight on it. I just hold the steering wheel a little different to avoid that issue. Other than that, I love the space"

Great Vehicle!

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pros: "Great value for the money."

Cons: "No hill descent mode."

"Must say I don't understand some of the reviews I've read; are they for real, or written by salespeople? Some reviews, both pro and con, just don't seem real. So here's a review from a real owner: If you're going to purchase this vehicle a few things to remember. Pay the extra money to buy an EX-L. It'll give you a driver side power seat that can be adjusted to suit just about anyone. I'm 6 feet and weigh 240, and can easily adjust the seat so it's comfortable. I've read some reviews that speak about how uncomfortable the seats are on long trips. Know what? All cars get uncomfortable on long trips. The CRV seats are as good as any I've had in my 30+ years of driving. The added benefit of heated seats, heated mirrors, and dual zone heating add to the value of the EX-L package. The stereo system is fine for an old timer like me. For those who need bluetooth, I suggest you have your salesperson walk you through the steps of how to voice activate and make calls on the system. It has worked flawlessly for me for the 5 months I've owned this vehicle, and I use my bluetooth often for business. I haven't experienced any of the rattling, whining, or other unknown noises others have heard. Neither have any of the many people I know who own a CRV. Again, is it possible the poor reviews are written by salespeople from competitors? I know if I was a salesperson for a competitor I'd write as many bad reviews as I could for the competition. Anyway, I digress. If you drive in an area with abundant snow, buy snow tires! All Season's just won't cut it. Not for any AWD/4WD vehicle. I still remember getting stuck in my Jeep 4X4 my first Winter with it and All Seasons. It has snowed without end this Winter, I live in a very rural area of Vt, and my CRV has gone everywhere with ease. Why shouldn't you buy this vehicle? Ok, here goes. Performance, what performance? Very pedestrian handling and performance. No hill descent option. An extra low gear I could really use here in Vermont. Subaru offers this as standard on all new Outbacks, and I almost bought one just because of that. Other than these, I can't believe anyone wouldn't at least take a look at the CRV."

Best of the small SUVs available

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, value for the price, seating comfort"

Cons: "Rear side visibility"

"I owned one of the first CR-Vs made from 1997. We gave it to our daughter in 2003 and she had been driving it ever since. When the radiator, brakes, and exhaust all went out at the same time after over 180,000 miles we offered her our car and went out to find a replacement for us. We looked at a lot of the small SUVs, including the Toyota RAV-4, Mazda CX-5, Subarus, Jeeps, and Fords. The CR-V was the most comfortable and had the smoothest ride. I am 6' 5" and my wife is 5' 4" so we needed a car that we both could drive. This was the only choice for which the driver's seat adjustments allowed both of us to find comfortable seating positions. We decided to get the EX model even though the differences between it and the LX were minor because we didn't like the black interior that came with the exterior color we wanted on the LX. The EX-L has navigation and other bells and whistles that we didn't really need. The only option on the EX-L that made us consider it was the power drover's seat, but the manual adjustment on the lower models works fine for us. We have had the car about a month so far and really like it. We have only used one tank of gas, but we got about 27 MPG in combined local and highway driving. It feels solid while driving and handles well. Our only minor complaint is that the right rear column blocks some visibility when looking back to change lanes. I haven't really had any problems as a result of this though. Overall we are happy with the car and hope to be able to get the 15 years and 180,000+ miles out of it that we did from our first CR-V."

Too Many Improvements to Mention

By on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Pros: "Easy to Steer, Comfortable Leather Seats"

Cons: "Parking Brake Location, No Homelink"

"The 2012 Honda CRV-L is a completely different car than the 1999 Honda CRV that I traded in. It is roomier, has 40 more horse power (overpowered actually), yet gets better gas mileage due to its lower roof line. I have a bad back and got a back ache just sitting for 5 minutes in the previous year (2011) CRV-L. The leather seats in the 2012 are greatly improved. No back ache even after a long trip. The graphics on the navigation system are outdated but the system works well. The maps are more up to date than Google maps, it has a touch screen, correctly routed me to my destination, love the travel directions on the second screen and the speech recognition works even with moderate road noise (something Garmin can't do). I don't know what the complaint about 5 speed versus 6 speed transmission is about. The 5 speed is a proven reliable transmission. The transmission and engine on the 1999 CRV I traded in were still in perfect running condition. A few of my complaints (and these are more for Honda engineers): 1. The placement of the parking brake could be better. 2. No Homelink. I fixed this by adding a Gentex 41A mirror with homelink and Honda 08V03-TOA-100 accessory kit. The kit comes with excellent installation instructions and is easier to install than it looks. 3. No power lift gate. The local Acura dealer tells me that the RDX actuator won't fit on the CRV. The Acura RDX is an up scale version of the CRV, but costs $10000 more plus $5000 additional for fuel (lower mpg premium gas). This is the reason I rated the CRV so high."

Best Choice for Small SUV

By on Friday, May 25, 2012

Pros: "Perfect size, economical, high tech"

Cons: "Wish it had a little more power"

"Great gas mileage. Decent ride quality, fairly quite at highway speeds. My wife loves it! I do too. I think the white is the best color. All EXL's come with just about all the bells and whistles standard. Not real powerful but that is no deal breaker for me. I am more concerned about what happens at the gas pump and that is where this car shines. If you drive 45 mph, you get 45 mpg. Try it on your test drive and you will see this is true. It is easy to park and the rear view camera has three viewing angles, really cool and useful. The radio is excellent in the EXL. I think the radio gets a little more features in this model. Buy one and you will never want to go back to anything else. Just don't expect it to do more than it is designed for (it will not replace a full size SUV). A perfect vehicle for someone who wants an SUV but not the gas bill and the parking issues that come with owning a large vehicle."

The BEST little SUV on the Market

By on Monday, April 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great looks and good gas milage too!"

Cons: "Not a one."

"This is my 3rd CRV EX, I had a 2004, 2007 and now this much improved 2012. Honda is doing the right thing by not changing it too much, but just enough to make it better than the model before. It's alot quieter then my 2007 and the seats are more supportive. The milage is better as well, I'm getting 24/25 around town in the ECO mode. I looked at other cars, but really felt this was the best of the bunch! I've owned other Honda's(Accords) as well and you just can't beat them for the quality they put into their auto's and their resale value. I was waiting for the new 2012 CRV to get here and it just doesn't disappoint in any way! I highly recommend it!"

Bought new 2015 CRV and I would NOT recom 2015 CRV

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Cons: "Vibration issue and ride at 65mph is not comfy"

"Vibration issue and ride at 65mph is worst. Please do Google search on 'Honda CRV 2015 vibration issue' before buying it! I am taken back with Honda's quality and customer service dealing with the issue."

Excellent and useful car with great mileage

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Usefulness, space, economy, Bluetooth"

Cons: "Plasticky interior, road noise, weak Pandora"

"I've had my 2014 EX AWD CR-V for 3 weeks, and driven about 1200 miles on a mix of highway and city roads. I have had no major issues. The mileage has been really good for an SUV, ranging from 22 to 34 MPG, average 28+ MPG. Coming from a Camry Hybrid which got about 38 MPG, I'm very pleased with this AWD SUV. It is a lot of fun to drive, with responsive handling, albeit a bit vague on center when on the highway with wind affecting tracking a bit. Acceleration is good. I find the large cargo area and one touch folding rear seats great for functional use. The only things I might pick on are the large expanses of hard plastic, lack of Homelink as an option, and no standard auto dimming mirror in the EX level. I installed my own aftermarket Auto dimming Homelink rear view mirror. I had the TPMS light come on last week but after re-calibrating I haven't seen it since. Also, Pandora connection is iffy, requiring plugging and unplugging the USB into my cell phone to get it to play right. I like the seats, adjustability, seat height, compliant ride. It is reasonably quiet, but some tire noise comes in on the highway. I really like my CR-V, and hope it proves reliable in the long run as our other Hondas have been."

Much improved from previous years

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pros: "Great value; Honda reliability; drive one!"

Cons: "none yet...1000 miles so far."

"I recently traded my 2010 Honda CR-V EXL AWD for the same model for 2013. This vehicle is much quieter than the 2010, virtually no road noise...even with the windows open! Front visibility is improved and although the rear window is somewhat smaller, the back-up camera is very helpful especially when parallel parking. The horsepower is slightly higher but it is much quicker than before, with the shifter down shift button this car gets into highway traffic faster and easier than before...not as fast as my wife's Accord coupe 6 cyl, but very good. Gas mileage is better than the 2010 right off the showroom floor. The seats, both front and rear, are more comfortable. Electrically assisted steering takes a little getting used to but is an improvement as well. New displays, Bluetooth, fewer console buttons all make driving easier. Honda added fog lights and headlights that stay on for about 30 seconds while you walk to the house. The split driver's side mirror is useless and annoying but otherwise the improvements are worthwhile. I used KBB info for pricing the 2013 and for my trade value and got exactly what KBB recommended...good info KBB! All in all, a very good buy for the money, sticker was $1170.00 more than my 2010 four years later with additions and improvements...isn't bad."

Love my 2012 CR-v

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, Reliable, Has amenities, Handles well"

Cons: "Mileage in city only about 23; 28-30 on Hway"

"We traded in our 2011 CR-V for the 2012 because the upgrades were so amazing. One year after owning-- I don't regret this move-- This car is fabulous-- We have the AWD EX-L WITHOUT navigation (couldn't justify +2500, when you can get a GARMIN for 200. It gets better gas mileage, it is actually a bit more comfortable than the 2011, seems to steer more responsively. It also seems to have fewer blind spots, thought the back up mirror helps. It handles like a car, has room for the dogs and has the Honda reliability I have come to love over the years--"

Reliable vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good gas mileage, cool features"

Cons: "a little road noise but not overwhelming"

"I bought the EX model back in April. I have put 2800 miles so far on the vehicle. I have to say I love this vehicle. I traded in a heavy V6 model to get better gas mileage. The vehicle has lived up to my expectations. I feel the vehicle drives better the more miles I put on it. I am averaging around 29 miles per gallon with mixed driving. I find the vehicle to be smooth, easy to drive, and love all the features. I am very happy I made this purchase. I knew the moment I sat in the vehicle for a test drive that I would make a good choice in purchasing the vehicle. I recommed if you have doubts about purchasing to take a test drive and see how amazing this CRV really is."

A great step "down"

By on Sunday, October 07, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, mileage, sound system, styling"

Cons: "Steering, slight lack of cool convenience items"

"Had a Mitsubishi V6 SUV - mediocre engineering, crummy mileage, etc. We needed to have something with better mileage and, especially, more reliable. LOVE our CR-V, everything about it says engineering and reliablility. A proven design, and reliance on proven performance and reliablity is everything. It doesn't have some of the latest gadgets and technology, such as things that Kia and Mazda have, but everything works well and as it should. The one disappointment is the nav system, but we knew that from reviews going in, and it works well enough to do what it needs to do. A driving disappointment is the new electric-assisted power steering. Many reviewers call it "vague" - I totally agree. I am used to it now, but a week off from driving it and I have to re-learn it. Having said that, I do enjoy driving it and only look forward to replacing the OEM Bridgestone tires which are too hard for my preference and certainly account for the noisy ride on certain surfaces. We're getting the advertised mileage and are 100% pleased with our CR-V"

If you get the LX you will save about $2000

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pros: "drives very well, good space"

Cons: "no arm rest for front passenger in LX"

"I just got the 2013 CRV LX AWD . I am a car salesman at a high end import brand. I thought the CRV was a great value, the handeling and power are good. It is a 4 cyl and if you let the engine get to higher RPMs it has some pull. I have the LX and am dissapointed that there is no front passenger arm rest and no dealer option to install one in the LX model. I think the passenger will miss it on long trips. The ECO button is nice with the green lights they help to keep you aware of your driving style so that you try and save gas. Over all a very nice car."

THE BEST EVER!!!

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

Pros: "SAFE, luxury, smooth ride, great price"

Cons: "More leg room for tall people in front and in back"

"This is my 4th Honda and my 2nd CRV. I loved all of them but particularly loved everything about my new EX-L CRV. I've had it 5 months. Unfortunately, last week I was in a serious car accident and my honda may likely be totaled but I was not! Thankful the 2012 Honda CRV was built so strong that it withstood someone broadsiding me on the driver's side door and front quarter panel with a full sized pickup doing approximately 50 mph and they never hit their brakes. All witnesses reported that the car took such a horrible hit and they were amazed that I walked away. Not to say that I was not injured because I was, but I am alive!!"

The perfect family car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Practicality, smooth to drive, thoughtful design."

Cons: "Could have more power I guess."

"This is a car whose excellence cannot be defined by 0-60 times and the numbers on a spec sheet. What it is is the most intelligently designed family car i've come across. I am a former Volvo owner who thought i'd be buying a much more expensive car like an Audi, a TSX wagon, or a Volvo until I tried the CRV. I was so blown away with its combination of price, refinement, and versatility that I bought one. Never thought i'd end up in one but i'm happy I tried it. The interior packaging is exceptional. Despite the fact that the car is not that large on the outside it has tons of rear-seat room and excellent cargo room. The high roofline gives it an airy feel. The interior impresses on many other counts. For instance the large bin between the seats, the conversation mirror/sunglass holder, and the easy fold rear seats are excellent features for families. It also has tons of little spots for interior storage. Those things matter a lot more to families doing real world driving than eight speed transmissions and 280 horsepower engines. Gauges are excellent and buttons are large (at least on the non sat-nav models). The car also drives very well. It isn't meant for charging up a mountain road but the engine is quiet, the transmission is smooth, and road noise is well controlled. It is much quieter than our older Accord and Volvo wagon on the highway. The ride is also pretty good and the handling is car like with excellent steering feel and little body lean. One of the biggest thing that drew me to the car was how smooth and easy it is to drive. It feels like a more expensive machine in terms of refinement. It is not fast by any means but it has no problems keeping up with traffic. 185 horsepower would have been seen as a lot not too long ago. My mileage has been better than the Volvo and Audi wagon's we've had. On highway heavy fill-ups i've averaged as much as 34. I do more city and mixed driving and my overall average has been in the 26-27 range so not brilliant but not bad either. Overall this is a wonderful car. It is exceptionally practical for a family man like me, is not expensive, is smooth to drive, and as a Honda should last a long time. It also has excellent safety ratings which matter a lot to me. I would absolutely buy it again."

Great overall vehicle

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "MPG, space, std equipment, reliability"

Cons: "passing power, driver's mirror, flat seat cushions"

"Have had the CRV EX-L for a little over 3 mos now. Not a thing has problem. Fit and finish is excellent. Controls, radio are perfect. And the space within such a small vehicle cannot be topped. Pros - Space, MPG (31.5 avg), smoothness on highway, radio clarity, just an overall great package Cons - Lack of midrange power to pass with (a real dog there), wind buffering on the highway with the glass down even just a bit, driver mirror is useless, lack of downshifting option on the transmission (would help w/passing), better designed seat cushions. All, but the power are rather minor. For midterm changes I hope they add 10-15 additional HP (I'll take the MPG loss), better driver seat design, an easier USB plug-in port, 6 sp transmission w/downshifting capability) Even without the changes they will still sell fast"

Very reliable, excellent price

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "great price, reliable, lots of room, great on gas"

Cons: "back door not automatic, no arm rest on seats"

"Very reliable car lots of room, it drives very smooth does not feel like an SUV at all. Nice to have the Bluetooth and rear camera. Exterior and interior design is ok, could be better. Overall very nice car for the price excellent on gas."

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

"Traded my Toyota RAV for 2013 Honda CRV. Better value; more space; beautiful interior; am completely satisfied. Hope this one lasts for ten years like my RAV did. cup holders are everywhere they are needed. rolltop console between the front seats holds everything needed. fun to drive. easy to see out the back because the back seat head rests fold down when not in use. back up camera is awesome. just a nice vehicle. back seats fold down with a press of a button. no hassles. huge trunk space. happy happy happy"

Great value for a small SUV

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Reason: Wife wanted something with more power

Pros: "Crazy (Good) re-sale value"

Cons: "No home link or power lift gate"

"Honda continues to amaze me with their resale value. We owned the car for a year and put over 17k miles on it, then sold it for pretty close to what we paid for it. Amazing, considering no major price increase on the 2013's. The only reason we got rid of it is that my wife is used to V6's and V8's and could never warm up to the 4 cylinder. As far as I was concerned, it had plenty of power for what is was. We both would have liked it better if it had home-link and a power lift gate. We bought the top of the line EX-L AWD, so you would think that those options would be available,but were not."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Urban titanium metallic

"2013 CR-V EX-L AWD. Traded in 2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6, got near blue book value so a good sign for future CR-V trade in. Never had any mechanical problems with the 7+ year old Accord, so stayed with Honda. The CR-V has handled well in Wisconsin rain and snow. The engine runs very quiet. The engine power is decent. Passing cars on a two lane highway to work and the engine has a good kick when needed. Cabin noise is very quiet. Seats are comfortable on 30-90 minute trips. Interior headroom and space are very good and roomy (I'm 5'10" and 145 lbs). I'm picky on looking over the shoulder into blindspots and the rear/side view windows allow a good view. Rear view back up camera is good. Side mirrors are a good size. Overall I'm very pleased so far with the CR-V. I haven't run into any battery problems in 0 degree weather, nor possible excess noise from the default Bridgestone tires."

Urban titanium metallic

Virbration in drivetrain is a major issue !!

By on Sunday, April 05, 2015

Pros: "Safety technology, camera for backup/blind spot"

Cons: "Distracting, annoying, fatiguing VIBRATION"

"Enjoying the beautiful interior, safety features, and ergonomics, for me, are totally cancelled out by SEVERE vibration issues with engine and transmission. Engine dances around in rubber engine mounts, which is bolted to CVT transmission (which itself is tends to shudder in two RPM ranges: 1000 and 2000 (ironically, right when the car wants to "settle down" and run at two typical speeds: highway (2000 RPM) slow in town speeds (around 1000 RPM). DO NOT buy this car if you are sensitive to vibration, shakes and shudders. This is the most vibration I have ever dealt with."

Good Value for the price

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pros: "reliability, gas mileage, value for the EX-L"

Cons: "Very light steering, sensitive brakes, blind spots"

"Long-time Honda owner who had a 2006 CRV SE that was wrecked and decided to go with a 2013. Smooth ride, good mileage with the 2WD, and reliability. These qualities offset the side blind spots due to rear/side window design and very light steering and sensitive braking. Overall I am satisfied after 11 months and 9000 miles but I get nervous when my new driver in the family is driving it. Our 2005 Pilot and 2007 Civic 4dr are much easier to see out of...lastly, I'd take my 2006 CRV AWD back any day over the 2013."