2005 Honda CR-V

Based on 736 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

Great, but.....

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"This SUV has been wonderful. Ride is smooth and quiet. MPG is good for its size. The A/C compressure does has a history of locking up. This is a common in the CRV 2002 thru 2004. Make sure to call American Honda if this happens to you and request a case number. They will usually pick up the cost to replace the A/C system."

A/C is a big problem

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"The CR-V looks like a good car but in the years 02 and 03 there is a really big and expensive design flaw: The A/C compressor. I have 106,000 miles on my car and it is on its 3rd compressor. The unit costs well over $1,000.00 installed and if other A/C parts are bad (they usually are) the A/C repair could cost you about $1,600.00 everytime it goes out. When the A/C is down, the pressure flutter from dirving with the windows open is so intense that your ears can't take it and you need to drive with the windows up. You can't drive this car without A/C so don't think you'll just go without. This is an exceptional failure for Honda and by 04 they had it solved. But if you buy an 02 CR-V, plan to spend at least $1,250.00 every 35,000 miles to repair the A/C. You'll hate the cost of repairing the 02 CR-V."

Best CRV I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

"I do deliveries in this car and I am looking for another one. I prefer this style. It is comfortable. Cup holders are placed perfectly, radio controls on steering wheel is wonderful. I do all the maintenance recommended. This is the longest and most mileage I have ever had a vehicle with. I have had a 97, 99, 01, 03 and the 06 and the second generation has been the most reliable and enjoyable. I live in an area where we can get large snowfalls and have never had a problem...I feel safe and content in my car and putting on 60,000 miles a year you have to like what you are driving!! I have foglights and parking sensors. Most used cars that I am looking at now, do not. Full disclosure: I replaced the transmission at 221000."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, June 12, 2008

"I purchased my CRV new and love it! Honda quality, safety (standard ABS, traction and stability control, and front-side-sidecurtain airbags), versatility, and fun to drive. Plus, it is a FWD (2WD) and not AWD: my insurance company considers it a "station wagon" (lower insurance rate). I get 30+mpg on the highway. And the value of this vehicle is actually appreciating as gas prices go up! (Note: The April '08 auto issue of ConsumerReports magazine gave the '05 CRV a "half dark circle" for "drive system" - its for the rear differential on the AWD version - gotta change that fluid every 15,000+ miles or could face a possible expensive repair bill in the future.) Mine is FWD - NO rear differential and NO problem. How many of us really need AWD in our day-today driving throughout the year - especially with traction and stability control? I was ahead of my time on that one!"

Oustanding-Regret selling it!

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"Plenty has been said about Honda's reliability. It probably is still not enough. 6 years 105K miles and all I have ever done with my 2003 CRV-LX AWD is put in gas, change the oil, one set of brakes (at 100K) and two tire changes (at 50K and 100K) in addition to regular maintenance. And I wind it up every time I drive! Nothing breaks! I get 25 mpg highway constantly over the speed limit and 21 mpg mixed even tooling around here in the foothils. I'm 6'2" and there is plenty of headroom, legroom is fine but not plentiful. I like to really stretch once in awhile. The interior is fairly basic but well laid out. Knobs and controls are easy to manipulate even with gloves in the winter. Fortunately I never had to test its 5 star safety rating which is one of the main reasons I bought it. We bought an Odyssey minivan and it is not as taut or nimble but then I guess it is not supposed to be. The CR-V has a great turning radius and if it can make a U-turn, it has enough ground clearance to climb over curbs! Configurable back holds plenty of "stuff". My main gripes were lack of cushion in the seats and overall road noise. I moved to less agrressive tread during my tire change and that helped some, plus a louder stereo! Still a loud car, but it is hard to gripe too loud since this car does not demand another bit of my attention or wallet. It's quirks are (handbrake lever, console and shift handle) are easy to ge used to. I think this is a car that is going to be rather cultish and around for quite awhile. I love the improvement of the more recent CR-Vs 2007,2008 but it seems like a different much more refined car. I will be sad to see this car sold."