2001 Honda CR-V

Based on 512 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

love it

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"This is my 2nd CRV. I bought a 1998 or 99 and never had a problem. I had someone hit me on the freeway going over 70 miles an hour while i was on the off ramp and I was surprised that the car held up so well. The back of the car did not crunch up but the main frame bent up enough that the Insurace totaled it. I got a 2nd CRV a 2000 this time. I bought it used with 60,000 miles it now has 139000 and I haven't had any problems except the ususal wear and tear. please note that the older CRV's stereo's lock out if the battery dies and you have to get the serial number off the radio to get the code. I had to tear apart the console to get to it. Honda on the newer CRV's has the code. So always make sure you have the radio code if you buy one. It could cost you 100.00 to have a Honda dealership tear apart the console. My mileage is about 24 miles to the gallon. It handles great in the snow. The seats are not as comfortable for long trips but I still don't mind them when when I think about the gas mileage I get in my Chev Tahoe that does have great seats."

Best Vehicle I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Bought my 2001 CRV new...have had it for 7 years & 155,000 miles. Regular maintenance and 1 AC compressor is all I've done to it. Just put in gas and drive it anywhere. I had an armrest installed by dealer on passenger seat when I bought it. An upholstery shop put extra padding in the front seats, which made a world of difference in comfort. Would like a 6 cyl. engine for more power on hills, but at cruising speed the 4 cyl does just fine. I do alot of driving on my job, often long trips. I average about 28 mpg. My CRV is not for sale...love it!!!!"

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"Honda makes the best automobile for the money, my CRV is proof. I bought the car, new, 7 yrs ago and have had no work done except regular maintenance (oil changes, etc.), a new set of tires and brake pads. With a Honda, if you follow the maintenance instructions, you will likely never have any problems. I must say that the Gold color is spectacular - I am asked all the time if I have a new car. I now have 86,000 miles on the CRV and it is so dependable. I have owned Honda's since 1985 and each time I trade for a new Honda, it's like losing a best friend. Amazing how one gets attached to Hondas."

Great on ice

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"This vehicle has served me well over almost 10 years. It is not as comfortable as I would like, but very roomy and great in ice and snow. I can drive circles around the other vehicles. It has also been very reliable. I am around 100K miles and have had it in the shop twice for engine related repairs. I have had to replace the whole air conditioning system three times. Each time it was about $1700.00. Maybe they have improved this in newer models."

One of the Best Ever

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"This vehicle is one of the best cars I've ever had even getting it with high miles and no warranty, it never gave me one problem. I've had all services done and a boot torn and replaced between services. With 123,800 miles on it, it still has many more good miles in it, but now, I am moving on to a van....Whoever gets this vehicle will not be disappointed."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Attractive style, very reliable, great cargo space"

Cons: "slow acceleration going uphill"

"I love my Honda CRV even though it's a 1997 model - bought it the first year it was available. It failed to start just once when the battery was 10 years old. It labors when accelerating uphill but otherwise has good pick-up. The only rust is on the wheels. I'm sorry they changed this model's look and size - I don't like the new ones. I think my car has a lot of miles left on it before it quits!"

Best car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"Never let me sitting except when a squirrel got in my motor, made a nest and in the process chewed a wire. The only other time was when my husband and I went to the movies and we forgot to turn off the headlights. Dead battery."

So happy with this car..

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"I love my 2001 CRV. It's in really good condition. I keep up with maintenance and it is so reliable. Looked at new ones and don't care for the shape so I am keeping this one. Only dislikes are the clock( can't read it) and the tailgate opening to the side."

great vehicle

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Appreciate Visability and Reliability."

"I like being high off road, better visibility. I am elderly and arthritic, need more comfort in car. Need smaller vehicle to fit my small garage. I am loathe to switch to another type of car. I like my CRV so much."

Love this car and would upgrade but can't afford.

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Love this car would upgrade if the price was right. I will do a trade in to another Honda or compatible make/model. It really spoiled me because now the only cars I really like are SUVs. It was a good fit for me and I was very comfortable driving this car. Started having small problems once I got to 130000 but would definitely recommend."

best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "visibility, mpg, easy fo entry"

Cons: "cup holders wrong sizes"

"I get 24.5 mpg in town and 27 highway currently. I had the windows after market tinted as not available in 1999. I used the picnic table twice. The hidden space is great for hiding a purse when hiking. I did put a locking lug on the spare as there was a rash of stolen spares(for the rims) in this area. Visibility is wonderful. With the windshield higher off the ground and with less slope than passenger cars, I get a lot less rain and snow on the glass. Around the car visibility is excellent. The blind spot is quite small. Getting in and out of the car is very easy with the seat higher than an accord--more like getting out of a chair. It made it possible to help my sick husband in and out. When I trade it in, eventually, it will probably be for another CRV."

I love this car! It literally saved my life once.

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, safe, good size,"

Cons: "not a lot of power"

"This is true. The emergency scene people said if I had been in just about any other car, I'd be dead. As it is, I wasn't even scratched. I'm a small woman, and this car fits me perfectly. It sits just a little above most traffic, but it's center of gravity is lower than many SUVs. I get about 20 mpg in the city, 26–32 (60mph and the number goes way up). When my first one gave its life for me, I bought another just like it."

14 yrs old, over 200K miles, best car ever

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, tight handling, solid car"

Cons: "Not enough pickup or power for such a large body"

"This car was 3 years old when I bought it and it's been the best, most reliable car I've owned. It has needed minimal maintenance other than the standard service, and has really only started breaking down in the past year or so. Even with its current problems, the engine still runs like a champ. The biggest downside to this car is the lack of power. It's a big body for 4 cylinders to have to lug around, and although the technology has improved a lot since 1999, this model just doesn't have much pickup. It's slow to accelerate, and on really hot summer days I would sometimes have to turn off the AC just to be able to maintain speed going uphill. I'm about to trade this car in for a newer version, but it's a 1999 with over 200K miles on it. I've gotten everything I could have ever wanted out of this car and then some."

good baby carrier

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"We had a focus with 90,000 mls on it, made a gamble and traded it in for a my 2000 CRV with 163,000 mls. 3 years later my wife still loves it."

A Car To Live By

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, gas mileage, longetivity, reliablity"

Cons: "Suspension not so smooth."

"My 1999 CRV has nearly 250,000 miles and is still going strong. I love this car. It's been extremely reliable with very few repairs required. It has taken me all over the state in all kinds of weather. The 4WD makes New England winter workable and the gas mileage is decent. I will buy one of these again after this one gives out at 500,000 miles!!"

2001 Honda CR-V SE AWD

By on Friday, January 07, 2011

"I had a great experience with my CR-V. It does great in the snow. I traveled a few country road to get to school in the winter and a few morning I was the second vehicle down the road, before the snow plow, and I had no problem getting through. It is a little underpowered for merging onto the interstate, especially in a strong wind or on hills. I had leather interior and it held up very well. I purchased the 2001 in 2005 with 44,500 miles. I drove it for five and a half years and traded it in with 121,000 miles. I averaged 23.4 mpg while I had it, summer and winter combined. I could take four friends, myself, and all of our luggage for a weekend trip and everything fit with no problem. It is easy to park, great visibility and versatility and dependable. The passenger seat is missing an armrest and my passengers would complain; I drove so it didn't bother me. It is also a loud on the interstate, after all there is only a 2.0 under the hood that ran at least 3,000 rpm. I have only on major issue, the timing cam went through my timing over. This was caused by corrosion. This corrosion was probably caused because the previous owner parked the vehicle somewhere with excessive moisture, there was a lot of rust on the underside of the vehicle, even in 2005. I traded my 2001 in for side air bags, more power, and a little better fuel economy. I was so pleased with my 2001 that I purchased a 2006. Both the '01 and '06 are recommended vehicles from Consumer Reports and have better than average reliability."

great in all kind of weather

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"i bought my 2001 crv ex new. it has been trouble free and great to drive. i travel alot and i am very comfortable and feel safe im crv. it drives very peppy and gets great gas miliage. cant complain plan on keeping my crv until it dies which will be quite sometime. im at 188,000 miles now ans still runs and drives since new."

Gonna miss it when it's gone.

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"I got my CR-V new in 1999 with 3 miles on the odometer. It's still doing great at 152,000. I've never (again, that's *never*) had a major repair. I'm one of those horrible car owners that will delay regular maintence from time to time, and despite that it's still a smooth ride. Perhaps not the biggest eye cather on the road, I'd say when it came out it was still a nice looking ride. I've stretched the cargo load to the max, having traveled with 5 adults and a ton of luggage, and it held up like a champ. I've owned 2 additional Hondas before this, and they all exceeded my expectations of a great vehicle. Gonna be a sad day when I trade in my CR-V, and without a doubt I'll be looking for another Honda. If it helps anyone, my biggest complaints would be that I wish the back seats folded down completly flat instead of the bit of an angle. Also every passenger I've ever had in the front seat wanted an armrest to match the driver's...something Honda did on later models."

Wonderful vehicle

By on Saturday, February 06, 2010

"I have 110k on my CRV and have never had any proplems with it. I will be buying another one as soon as this one gets tired. But so far it shows no signs of getting tired. I have had this CRV all its life."

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"I LOVE my CR-V. Originally bought for my daughter for HS. I took it back when she got married>>> I'm 6'4" and I fit in very comfortably. I added a hitch myself so I can pull my 4x8 trailer (hauling is OK for the 4cyl. - I hauled a whole demo'd tile bathroom to dump and the car pulled trailer w/o problems also a Sunfish. I also added a roof rack for my kayaks. (duaghter didn't want one when we bought it... dumb me I listened to her - GET A ROOF RACK. It's invaluable."

great car

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"I have always heard of the reliability of hondas, and finally experienced it for myself. I bought this car used a little over a year ago. At the time it had 150,000 miles, & we have since added another 40,000. It has some minor oil leaks, and the road noise is a little more than desirable, but other than that it is a GREAT CAR!!! There have been no serious repairs from the previous owner, or since we have had it. I have had a jetta & a toyota in the past, and the honda is by far my favorite as far as reliablity goes. I get around 23 mpg in town, and up to 30 on highway. Our car is manually operated, which is no longer an option with the newer models. This is disappointing because i prefer the manual operation, but i will still get a CR-V when the time comes for a new car. I couldn't ask for much more out of a used car."

all round great suv

By on Thursday, July 31, 2008

"we bought this car with 20 K miles when bought from a dealer in 1999. and it is a 99. never had any mechanical trouble. gas mileage is 90% of advertised mpg. this has been on 1400 mile trips with ease the roof rack is nice to have and very useful, it will on the interstate reduce your MPG if you have luggage on it. we have used the tow package for a rack to carry things on. i am 6'2" and fit well in front seats. it is good on snow. would buy again."

Can't go wrong with Honda

By on Sunday, July 27, 2008

"We've had our CR-V for 8 years. Bought it new and have had no trouble from it. There is a weird noise in the floorboard when you go down bumpy roads that the dealership was unable to figure out and the cassette player died about a year ago, but other than that all we've had to deal with is regular maintenance. No repairs at all!! It is no luxury SUV, but has been a very practical car. I marked it lower on styling since to me, it looks like a giant sneaker, but we bought it for function, not form anyway. The cargo area could be roomier, but all in all it has met our needs. If you need some extra space for hauling the back seats do fold down. That helps. The 4WD has come in handy especially since you don't have the think about it, it just goes into 4WD when needed. The ground clearance is great, especially since we live on a hilly gravel road. The CR-V can make it up icy hills and through snow and other weather that leaves some other vehicles stuck on the side of the road. The A/C in all five Hondas we have owned isn't the coldest but for an 8 year old car the A/C is still blowing as cold as the day we bought it, no complaints there. We are planning to trade in for a Pilot soon since our family is outgrowing the CR-V and we need the extra seating. We have owned Hondas ( or Acura)for 15 years now and plan to stick with Honda. AS far as reliability, you just can't go wrong with a Honda."

My Car

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"The biggest problem I have is the cup holder that pulls out below the radio. It will not hold drinks if you plan on making a turn. You have to hold on to your cup or it will be in your lap and the floor of the car. The leather seats get very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Plus they have not held up, they are cracking. Other then those two problems I love my car. I even put a side by side fridge in it and drove 250 miles. My seat had to be pulled all the way forward but it fit!!! I would not trade my CRV for anything."

All in one!

By on Monday, February 25, 2008

"I love my CR-V. I had a 1997 ant I got hit by a teen driver. While my car was totaled the inside compartment stayed in tact and protected me and my family. I immediately started the search for my new CR-V. I now have a 2001 and continue loving this car. As a single mom, this car is ideal. Great gas mileage, minimal maintenance(oil and tires). At 130K I blew my clutch, but because of the value I was easily able to re-fi to pay for it. Also knowing that it holds it’s financial value so if I ever decide to let it go and knowing I will never be up-side-down in my loan is great peace of mind. Also this car while compact and maneuverable, when the seats are down has tons of cargo room. We go camping a lot and I can fit everything we need and more for several days in the forest. This is by far a best of all worlds car, affordable, low-maintenance, compact, and totally roomy."