2001 Honda CR-V

Based on 491 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

We go everywhere on rocky trails

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "great off-road travel and comfort"

Cons: "slow acceleration"

"A little slow at getting up to speed on the highway, but on the off-road it is great going over the rocks and deep ruts with the short wheelbase and high ground clearance. We've even had to climb very steep loose gravel hills and it went fine without sliding back. I like it better than other vehicles for our prospecting adventures."

Would buy another CR-V in a minute!

By on Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, safety, dog friendly!"

Cons: "Somewhat gutless, lower mileage as it has aged"

"Best car I have ever owned. Not the most powerful SUV, but I can count on it every time. Bought it 15 years ago with 54,000 miles and it's now at 190,000. I keep up with oil changes, brakes and wipers. I hate to give her up but I know sometime in the next year or so I will. I wish I could keep her forever!"

My CRV was like a family member

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE"

Cons: "Noisy interior, no sunroof for this year/model!"

"I've driven this car faithfully for 14 years, it was so reliable. The transmission just went out on it (2nd one) so, my mechanic advised me it's time for a new car. Even when it broke down it did so in a convenient way; never left me high and dry trying to get somewhere like work or an important appt. I got the car for camping, hauling and driving in snow. Once, while in Yosemite for Thanksgiving, my CRV was allowed to traverse the snowy, icy roads out of the park without snow tires by the authorities, and we made it home safe and sound. My CRV served like a workhorse, ever faithful and dependable. I still see 2000/2001s on the road, this car is an incredible value and provided so much for as long as I've owned it."

Best SUV I ever owned

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Reason: poor gas milage, rust

Pros: "Best Manual CRV made"

"I loved my CRV.. I loved everything about it and wish I'd never sold it. I would have bought a new one, but they no longer make a 5 speed. I like to drive, not be 'driven'. I miss my CRV and it was incredibly reliable, comfortable and high off the ground. Pretty much the perfect vehicle. Gas milage was not great, but back then, gas wasn't much of an issue. I wish.. I wish.. I wish.. it still came in a manual transmission. I'd sell my boring Accord in a heartbeat."

Great car. Tremendous reliability,

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

"I loved this car. It was so dependaple. I drove it for 210,000 miles and it still works perfectly. It is not fast, but the engine is more than capable. It was great in the snow, and it is not equipt with high tech features. It is what Honda's used to be. Basic, reliable, low cost repairs. Honda's have gotten so technical, when I got a different car, I kept this. It saved my life because I did not have to make payments for ten years when my finances were s"

has been a great car, never had a problem

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "very pro toward geting a new one"

Cons: "no cons, this is my second one...."

"always taken good care of it, never abused it as a female driver of course.. hate to get ride of it but time to move on to a new one.. I just can not believe how long this car has been so good ,, but good care has helped I am sure. it still runs like a top..Is gold in color alwheel drive 4door .hatch back.."

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."

I love this car!!!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

"I bought this car new five days before 9/11 happened. It has been very reliable. I've never had to worry about having a mechanical breakdown. I have loved it for the past 13 years!! The only negative comment is that it is quite noisy when driving on the highways. (It would also be nice if the seats were a little softer to sit on, but neither issue is a major problem.) In the 13 years since I bought it, I have only had to change the battery and have the brakes replaced one time and the automatic window on the driver's door had to be repaired about a year ago. I never have had to worry about it 'breaking down.' A great car at a great price!!"

Great Vehicle - But

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Ride, Space, Comfort, Milage, Style"

Cons: "Adjust the Valves..Adjust the Valves!"

"Honda has a great product (Generation 1 CRV) but did not inform the Buyers the need to adjust the valves on the the newer engine of the Gen I CRVs. Shame on Honda for not backing the product and causing Buyers much frustration and unneeded cost. Poor product backing = lost future sales. I found out the hard way. Took care of the issue. Love the Gen I, but have lost faith in Honda. Would not buy a new CRV due to Honda not taking care of this issue when noted. Still will keep and love the CRV I have but now have purchased a Toyota due to Honda support. The Gen I will give you great service if... you adjust the valves! Don't learn the hard way!"

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

"This car is still going strong, and has survived so many potholes, thanks Michigan. I got it as a hammy-down from my dad and it was a great first car."

Longest I've ever owned a car, least issues.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE, practical, minimal maintenance/repairs"

Cons: "No passenger side armrest, loud cabin."

"2001 CR-V bought in '04,10 yrs later >200K miles. My best car buy ever. High reliability, minimal repair costs. Typical Honda issues: cabin is loud, brakes are squeaky. Minor complaints for the years of utility I've gotten."

I love my CRV

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "great all around car longs lasting no problems"

"I have 351,000 miles on my 1998 CRV, it is a great vehicle. Its quick response on the road has saved my life several times getting out of the way of crazy drivers. I do alot of freeway driving. I would recommend this vehicle highly. I am disappointed in the new CRVs especially since from 2001 on they do not have the rear end wishbone suspension which makes the CRV more responsive and easy to handle not to mention much less wear and tear on suspension."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Attractive style, very reliable, great cargo space"

Cons: "slow acceleration going uphill"

"I love my Honda CRV even though it's a 1997 model - bought it the first year it was available. It failed to start just once when the battery was 10 years old. It labors when accelerating uphill but otherwise has good pick-up. The only rust is on the wheels. I'm sorry they changed this model's look and size - I don't like the new ones. I think my car has a lot of miles left on it before it quits!"

Best car I've ever owned!!

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable, lots of room and cargo space."

Cons: "No adjustable lumbar on the front seat."

"Do the regular maintenance religiously, that's all it takes. I have had NO problems with this car and I have 239000 miles on it. I'll bet it will go for another 100k!"

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great city, country, mountain car"

Cons: "no multi-disc player"

"My family and I love this car so much, we named her. It's been super reliable around town and on road trips. Hauls a lot-sports gear, kids, pets, camping equipment. Great all around family car with great gas mileage. It's only required standard maintenance. I've owned other cars like volkswagens, and chevys in the past and had to do a lot of maintenance-very expensive on those, but my CR-V has been a great car!"

Best SUV EVER!!!

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Strong, economical, dependable, has 4 cup holders"

Cons: "no cons..."

"I have owned this car since it has less than 60,000 miles on it. It now has 208,000 miles, and has never failed to start and drive beautifully! It never uses oil, never overheats, and never has a problem in snow or on ice. Being All Wheel Drive, and 4 speed auto, this car is economical as well. I drove it to Houston, Texas and averaged 39 miles per gallon the entire trip down there. That's NOT highway, that's the overall average mileage for the entire trip calculated from the gallons used and the mileage driven to getting back to our driveway at home! You just can't beat the quality of this car!"

The CR-V...it just doesn't know when to stop.

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "very reliable, good gas milage, 4wd...list goes on"

"I bought my honda cr-v(5 speed manual) brand new in 1998, i have changed the oil, the timing belt and have done two valve adjustments.I do alot of traveling with my job, so this vehicle is perfect. This is by far the greatist car that i have ever owned and i will allways stick by hondas value and reliability. There has not been one time in the 650k+ miles that this car has not started, it cranks every time. Not to mention, not a single thing on the car has stoped working:a/c, radio..ect. Props honda, you have a lifetime customer."

Most reliable car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Air conditioning is a little weak and road noise."

1999 CRV EX

"Excellent transportation in any weather. This car is "bullet-proof", no problems in 15 years of ownership! Driven over 200,000 miles with no major problems. Just keep the oil changed and service done regularly and it will last you a lifetime."

1999 CRV EX

Economical to own and operate-very reliable

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "See above"

Cons: "Road noise supression could be better"

"This CRV has cost me the price of fuel, oil, and maintenance. It is super reliable. I've used it like a pick-up before I had a pick-up. The CRV is the only SUV that has been made to tow behind an RV (without a dolly). The all wheel drive is a great feature that has helped me get through weather that has stopped others in their tracks. Nether I, nor anyone in my family is now nor have I ever been employed by Honda."

Excellent vehicle. Reliable and comfortable.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, easy to drive, roomy"

Cons: "no ABS, rear differential fluid needs changing"

"Love this car. Comfortable. Lots of space/pockets with plenty of tie-downs. Easy to drive. Driver's seat sits high so it has a great view of car and road without having to step up into the vehicle like with larger SUVs. Great in the snow. Good ground clearance. Lost the water pump at about 80,000, which is above average. Never had any other major repairs or leaks. More road noise than the Pilot but not bad. The rear differential fluid needs to be changed about every 6000 miles or the car makes a loud tone when you make a sharp turn. Won't hurt anything, just makes noise if you don't change it. More space and better design than newer CR-Vs. Rear door with split window is a plus for dog owners."

Cons: "Tire too small 15 inch tire would been better."

"When you purchase Honda you get your money's worth I will never get rid of my 01 Honda CR-V"

Best car ever!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"Never let me sitting except when a squirrel got in my motor, made a nest and in the process chewed a wire. The only other time was when my husband and I went to the movies and we forgot to turn off the headlights. Dead battery."

Best car ever!