2001 Honda CR-V

Based on 506 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Indestructible

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"I am an amateur race car driver, so it's a given that I'm equally hard on my street car. I have a 1997 CRV that I use as my daily driver. Bought used with 100,000 on the ticker. All the maintenance records show no repairs... only oil changes. Changed the timing belt as preventative maintenance at 120,000... Other than that the only thing I've changed is tires, oil and windshield wipers. The CRV now has 230,000 miles on it. The thing has never had a tune up. Still drives as good as new and I've abused it. I've taken it for passes down the 1/8 mile drag strip. I've driven it in the mud and got it high-centered on rocks. I've driven it ON the beach.. I've driven it in deep snow, ice, water up to the door handles. I've driven it in Midtown Manhatten, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Blue Ridge Parkway and on Interstate 4 in Orlando. I totally would take this car ANYWHERE in the United States right now. Doesn't use any oil... still has cold air... can't beat it!"

Awesome little SUV, I will miss you!

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "good value, long-lasting, great & safe vehicle"

Cons: "kinda noisy inside, cheap interior"

"I had a BLUE HONDA 1997 CRV. I'm the original and only owner of my vehicle. That car was my pride and joy. I literally took that suv on long trips up and down the California coast line. It had its little maintenance issues as it grew older, but what vehicle doesn't? I always had the item serviced at a dealership, until recently, I found a really good and honest mechanic. In fact, I just recently had some major issues fixed on the vehicle and it still ran like new. PROS: I love this vehicle! Reliable, easy to drive, economical gas saver for an SUV, big trunk, four cups holders(heck it came in handy), alot of foot and knee room when sitting in the back and front, many different compartments for mini storage of items. Safe vehicle to be in an accident, take it from me! LONG LASTING, maintain your vehicle correctly and get those maintenance checks & oil changes then the vehicle should last a really long time. CONS: Kinda of noisy inside the vehicle, but I got used to it over time, some stuff will rattle due to possibly cheap interior or guts - but whatever didn't bother me after awhile. The seats material could have been alittle better made, but it was the first year the CRV came out. Some of the paint started to fade away on my car, but I think it was a result of again the age of the vehicle. Nothing to majorly wrong with the vehicle in my opinion. My story has a very sad ending. My vehicle was approaching the 184000 mileage, and I was hoping that if well maintained I could stretch this vehicle up to 300k. I have seen other CRV's stretch beyond 300K and still run in great shape. Unfortunately, just recently my CRV was in a auto accident. I was hit from behind, and even though the damage to my vehicle didn't look that bad, the frame underneath was damaged along with other issues. So, now I'm stuck finding another vehicle. I want another honda CRV. I was told that this vehicle probably saved my life, because when I saw the other guys car(a Pontiac Bonneville), that car was just totally trashed - the whole front end just collapsed like an accordion. However, just alittle comment to those wanting to purchase a honda CRV, don't hesitate. Its a great reliable, safe and long lasting vehicle, gas-saver. There nothing wrong with low mileage and higher mileage hondas, just do your research ahead of time. Get an idea of cost based on mileage and use of the vehicle. If you purchase a CRV, always do your research, carfax, get a local mechanic or dealer to check out the guts inside, and do a through check yourself. Most Hondas in general nowadays will literally last a very long time if well-maintained. Well I hope my review will be helpful to everyone in cyberspace. Off to find another CRV!"

Two owners, treated well...

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "A rare find for a responsable owner"

"1st two owners: retired (used for 48000 miles of small town, local driving by each). Routine maintance always performed on schedule by talented Honda speciales. No mechanical or body flaws. You just can't get more dependable or fun transportation than with a CRV by Honda. This is my last car, I' m giving up my licens due to Parkinson's symptoms. I have named her "Elda". She has given me five years of flawless performance. I am commited to finding a responsable & easy going third home."

My faithful steed

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Manual Transmission, Bulletproof engine"

"I've owned this vehicle coming up on 16 years now, bought her new in late '96 with 5 miles on the clock, now over a half million miles! Mine is Dark Blue with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have never had so much as a hint of trouble with her, and have taken good care of her. I just recently replaced the clutch for the first time, valves adjusted every 30k miles and oil changed every 3,000 miles. Honestly this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. She still starts right up and is eager to get me where I'm going. If I ever need another vehicle, Honda will be my first choice!"

My best car

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive, good fuel economy, reliable,"

Cons: "kinda slow, could use more leg room"

"Ive owned my 2001 honda cr-v since 2008, and I've never had any problems with it! I bought it with 82k miles for $9,100, and it has around 126k miles on it today. I have had to keep up with the maitanence, like oil changes and tires. I also replaced the timing belt around 100k miles, but other than that this car has needed nothing. I love this car, and plan to drive it until it "dies." My only complaint is that there could be a little more leg room for the driver.. I'm 5'10 and I would definitley move the seat back further if I could. But then again, this is a small SUV so it isn't a surprise. Great on gas for an older SUV (averages 22mpg), looks great and runs the same today as it did the day I bought it."

Great AWD car, super reliable!

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Workhorse, reliable, well made, convenient"

Cons: "Underpowered"

Anza-Borrego Honda CR-V 1998

"I bought this car used telling myself, "Why not?" I was on the market for a Subaru but all of the used ones that I found had oil and fluid leaks that were quite expensive to repair. Then I found my 1998 CR-V AWD with 5 speed transmission. What a surprise! I am a mechanic and I learn to appreciate the avaibility of cheap aftermarket parts and how easy it is to work on this car. I went off-roading and the car can handle it, no problem. The engine could use a little boost but 26mpg on the highway helps forgetting about it."

Anza-Borrego Honda CR-V 1998

LOV CR-V, RIP.

By on Friday, April 29, 2011

"This was the best vehicle I have owned to date. For 8 years this vehicle was as dependable as my morning coffee. Then, my wife totaled it. Over 8 years, it was only in the shop for other than normal maintenance 4 times,(3 minor jobs, 1 valve job due to my speed racer mentality). This was a true all weather, all terrain vehicle. Snow, ice, mud, hills, water, sand and urban shopping malls could not stop this vehicle. Alas, an angry, late 80's street boat made of solid metal felled my beautiful Honda. But this same Honda gave it's all to keep my wonderful Wife and beautiful Daughter safe and sound I am happy to say. To anyone looking for a good, sound used vehicle, if you can get one of these, then get one of these! Farewell my beloved CR-V, 11 years and 196,000 miles was far too young to lose ye. RIP. I know, a bit dramatic but I just wanted everyone to get the point on how awesome this vehicle was."

THE BEST!!!

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I have never encountered a more durable and versatile car. I had a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. I bought it new. Bought this 98 CRV new also. I had problems up the ying-yang with the Ford. Had to get rid of it. It had 160000 miles on it. It was pure junk. Blue book value for Explorer=$3370. My Honda CRV. Still going strong and at 4yrs older. It's value: CRV=$3800. This CRV never broke down but the Explorer broke down and got towed several times over. I gave up on the truck when, one day the Explorer just would not start and got stuck a 100 miles away in 100 degree heat. It finally started and had electrical problems that followed. I gave up and traded it in for another Honda. I would give it 5 stars all around but, the older CRV is kind of outdated cosmetically vs. the newer CRV and engine power is slightly underpowered on hills and mountains. It is still a keeper though and very reliable. I wouldn't hestitate to buy a used one even at 100,000 miles or more which, is saying a lot already. I am not just saying over Ford and domestics but, against Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc,etc . All the vehicles I have driven a lifetime."

Fantastic little SUV

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Great SUV with decent milage for a car, great for its size. Lots of space, especially in the back. Lots of features and extra little goodies, it even comes with a picnic table. Great in the snow, able to climb a 22% grade hill with 4 inches of snow on it just fine(Cascade, Idaho for those in the know). Auto trans is smooth, though do not EVER get it powerflushed as this will destroy it, and make sure to always use Honda Trans fluid for the transmission, as this will make it much smoother and last longer. MAke sure to change the 4WD system with Honda Dual-Pump fluid, any other will cause it to burn up within a few days. Decent engine, though it is a bit underpowered till it downshifts. Cruise control is the only thing on this car that isnt at all good, at least on mine if you don't babysit it and watch what its doing it will just lose speed till its 5under what you set it, downshift, still lose speed and then downshift again till its trying to drive on a very slight incline at redline. Great when the road is flat, but as soon as it isnt, make sure to either take things into your own hands and drive or keep a close eye on it and help it out with a lead foot. Overall, an incredible vehicle and great small snow vehicle that gets around 25 in 25mph stop-go-stop-stop-go traffic, 28-30 on the highway at 70mph."

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."