2000 Honda CR-V

Based on 523 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Reliable, VERY low maintenance cost

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "good visibility, great in snow, lots of space"

Cons: "noisy, stiff ride"

"This is the most reliable and maintenance-free car I have owned. I service it regularly and keep it in good running order. It loves winters and has NEVER been stuck in the snow. Starts in the coldest weather. Somewhat noisy on the highway. Only grip I have, and this goes for ALL CR-Vs even the 2014s, is that they don't provide an armrest for the passenger seat! This is insane! I had one made and it has made all the difference for the passenger. Shape up Honda!!!"

Fine car but for the valve issue.

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Likeable ride and reliable for long time."

Cons: "Valve issue repair = half car's value."

"Purchased new in 2000. Commuter car first 6yrs. then kids' college car next 6. Great for all that and reliable. Driver side power window died 4 yrs ago. and Then, the biggie. Valves never adjusted and blown head. Four mechanics all agreed cheaper put in new engine than repair. $1200 for motor $800 for installation. Search Internet for CRV valve issues...plenty to read on that about internationally Honda recommended valve adjust evey 30,000 miles, but US models were to be at 100k. Should be fine, but that major hit and gun shy of it now. Replacement engine had 60,000 miles, so it coul happen to me again ?"

CRV Strong!! Best vehicle I ever owned!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive & worth every penny"

Cons: "Expensive to replace the front drive shaft!!"

"I absolutely love my CRV. We bought it new in 1997. Had 3 kids to learn to drive in it. Youngest son wrecked it, any other vehicle would have been totaled, but had minor damage. This car is still going strong!! LOVE, LOVE, Love!!"

Scrappy, steady, reliable.

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Few weaknesses. This car has been a beast."

Cons: "It would be nice to have better towing."

"I bought my CR-V in 2008 in St. Louis while it still had a Mexican license plate. Earlier this year I moved to Seattle and drove the CR-V. This car has been around, and is still in wonderful condition. Whether commute to work, or cross-country trips through the mountains, this car is up for the task. I have had only two maintenance issues; a CD player malfunction (it's not a big enough deal that I'm likely to ever get it replaced), and a crack in the radiator (it was about $200 to replace.) Even when my girlfriend hit and killed a six-point buck, the CR-V sustained only minor cosmetic damage (a few minor dents in the hood and deer fur in the grill), absolutely nothing to fix or replace. Considering the age and miles, it has been exceptional. Even if I've put off a tune-up or oil change, the CR-V has been very forgiving. I'm sure I've been very lucky as well as good to my CR-V, but it has been wonderful back to me. It's not flashy, and I wouldn't say it does any one thing exceptionally, but it can do anything reasonably well."

Great car

By on Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pros: "Economical, functional, reliable"

"Bought my 2000 CRV brand new 12 years ago and have been driving it ever since. It is not luxurious, but a great car for running around town, hauling a kid or two and a dog. Love the functionality of hauling some things with seats down and AWD in snow. I looked at replacing it with a newer model last summer, and wasn't crazy about the new models. I have decided to keep driving this one another couple of years."

We love this vehicle. Very little expense.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "GOOD CAR, DEPENDABLE, FUN TO DRIVE. EASY TO HANDLE"

Cons: "NONE"

"This automobile has been a joy to drive. It has never put us down. Never given any problems. Still drives like a charm. I would recommend it to anyone. Hope to drive it another 100,000 miles."

one of the greatest

By on Saturday, October 8, 2011

"one of the best ever owned. reliable and economical. does the job day in and day out. simple to operate. only thing needed was a new timing belt and brakes. still running strong."

Great car, reliable and easy to maintain!

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "Compact, Big inside, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "No driver arm rest, Could use a 6th gear."

"This car is wonderful, 5-speed transmission and a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine is a great combo. Its great inside as well, comfortable with the downfall of no driver or passanger armrests. Easy to drive and great in the snow! Real Time 4WD works great."

I love it!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Cons: "No arm rests in the front"

"Great vehicle, I hae had it for 6 years now, with just minor wear and tear maintenance. I love the space, how the back seats fold down. The body is made to last and withhold damage and rust. With my car being a 2000, it only has a few rust spots."

1999 CR-V EX

By on Monday, April 19, 2010

"I purchased a Honda CR-V EX new in December 1999. After 10 years and 150,000 miles, I have found the vehicle to be by far the most reliable car I've ever owned and it was my tenth. The real time 4WD has been great for the snowy winters in central Illinois. Other than oil changes faithfully performed every 3,000 miles and the general maintenance recommended by the owner's manual, the only other repairs have been the brakes done once at about 100,000 miles, replaced the belts as a preventive measure, two batteries, and I'm on the 3rd set of tires. I did recently have the radiator replaced when it cracked along the hard plastic portion at the top, but this was a fairly inexpensive repair ($130 for a new radiator). The car does not use oil and starts on the first try every time. It still has its original muffler. I never really planned on keeping a car this long but I just cannot bring myself to trade it as I do not care for the appearance of the new generation CR-V (slopping back and blind spot). The interior has held up great. A friend bought a new Dodge Intrepid at the same time I bought my CR-V and by comparison, his car's interior is in bad shape (cracked dash, steering wheel's material is deteriorating, excessive carpet wear, fading upholstery). I've never had any problems with the AC as I see other owners have. On average, I get a combined 22 mpg in the winter and a combined 25 mpg in warm weather. I find the four cylinder engine has the acceleration and power of a V-6 even after ten years. I would definitely recommend the first generation CR-V to anyone looking for reliable transportion."