• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2000 Honda CR-V

Based on 482 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Overall unbeatable economy & fun to drive

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Extreme reliability winter or summer."

Cons: "No cons whatsoever"

"Bought this for my wife used for $8,000 several years ago as I was working out of state and wanted her to have a reliable car. It's a 1997 and now in 2014 it is still reliable and has never had any problems other than routine maintenance. We live on a hill with a steep driveway and snow has never been an issue for her thanks to the 4-wheel drive system. There are no hubs to lock in or buttons & levers to move to engage the 4-wheel system. I replaced the timing belt myself at 112,00 miles without problems. The car still looks new."

So happy with this car..

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"I love my 2001 CRV. It's in really good condition. I keep up with maintenance and it is so reliable. Looked at new ones and don't care for the shape so I am keeping this one. Only dislikes are the clock( can't read it) and the tailgate opening to the side."

440,000 miles says it all....

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Will run forever"

Cons: "A bit of road noise (not major)"

"Bought the car new. Never had any major problems in 440K miles. Routine maintenance, a catalytic converter, and finally the timing belt are all it has ever needed. NEVER stranded me anywhere in all these years. I love that the seats fold FLAT, unlike my newer model. Great interior space. My newer model has more cargo space, but this one is more efficiently laid out, and easier to use. No lip at the back is a plus for loading. The larger access through the back is also nice; the newer one has a smaller portal in the back which interferes with loading. Why did they mess with a good thing? A little more road noise than some cars, so I didn't give a perfect 10, but it is by far the best car I have ever owned."

Best car ever

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "They eat snow for breakfast, lunch and dinner"

Cons: "Needs a little more power"

"Use to drive a Chevy Tahoe and made fun of CRV's. Then because of gas prices had to borrow the crv for a long trip to Nevada. Ended up being stuck in a blizzard with almost bald street tires. My tires never spun, never lost traction, never slipped sideways on the mountain roads in the back country. My windshield wipers kept working, the heater was awesome and toasty. The experience made me a honda suv true believer. I've been driving the crv every since. My only gripe is that they don't make them with more power. Am looking to upgrade to the pilot for more power otherwise would drive this one forever!!!"

great vehicle

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Appreciate Visability and Reliability."

"I like being high off road, better visibility. I am elderly and arthritic, need more comfort in car. Need smaller vehicle to fit my small garage. I am loathe to switch to another type of car. I like my CRV so much."

Good vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "great value, well-built, reliable"

Cons: "some small blemishes and defects"

"This vehicle is in fair condition and runs well. It is a very reliable little car and gets good gas mileage. It has four new tires. My son just wants a different, bigger ride."

Will look at another CRV

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "drivability, good in snow, Great paint"

Cons: "swing out tail gate"

"The swing out tail gate is major draw back. I bought the car used and have been happy with it from day one. Great in snow. Gas mileage could be better but it is AWD."

Love this car and would upgrade but can't afford.

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Love this car would upgrade if the price was right. I will do a trade in to another Honda or compatible make/model. It really spoiled me because now the only cars I really like are SUVs. It was a good fit for me and I was very comfortable driving this car. Started having small problems once I got to 130000 but would definitely recommend."

Can't say enough positive things.

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Value, safety, versatility"

Cons: "Few if any"

"I bought my CRV used with 244,000 miles. Now it has 316,000 miles and still going strong!!! I attribute it's livelihood in part to the manual transmission as they last much longer than automatics. Sure I've had to do a few minor repairs but at over 300k miles that is to be expected. The real benefits to the CRV in general are simply this; Awesome handling in snow/inclement weather = real safety/security. Great gas mileage. Roomy and versatile cargo space. Holds it's value like gold (BB still rates my 15 year old model at $2300 w/ 316k miles!!!)"

best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "visibility, mpg, easy fo entry"

Cons: "cup holders wrong sizes"

"I get 24.5 mpg in town and 27 highway currently. I had the windows after market tinted as not available in 1999. I used the picnic table twice. The hidden space is great for hiding a purse when hiking. I did put a locking lug on the spare as there was a rash of stolen spares(for the rims) in this area. Visibility is wonderful. With the windshield higher off the ground and with less slope than passenger cars, I get a lot less rain and snow on the glass. Around the car visibility is excellent. The blind spot is quite small. Getting in and out of the car is very easy with the seat higher than an accord--more like getting out of a chair. It made it possible to help my sick husband in and out. When I trade it in, eventually, it will probably be for another CRV."

I love This CAR! Want to give it to my grandson

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "fun car...always has been!!"

Cons: "not everybody takes such good care of a car."

"This car has been the go to car for my family. Somebody moves, hauling garden supplies, as santa's sleigh...'Speedy' does it all. He has a lot of dings and scratches. but I don't want a newer car. I love and depend on my "Sir Speedy". He can beat out vette's at stop lights and takes steep inclines like a champ. My grandson is 6'4" however and I need to replace the chair rails to go farther back. I trust this car with my grandson...that says a lot."

I love this car! It literally saved my life once.

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, safe, good size,"

Cons: "not a lot of power"

"This is true. The emergency scene people said if I had been in just about any other car, I'd be dead. As it is, I wasn't even scratched. I'm a small woman, and this car fits me perfectly. It sits just a little above most traffic, but it's center of gravity is lower than many SUVs. I get about 20 mpg in the city, 26–32 (60mph and the number goes way up). When my first one gave its life for me, I bought another just like it."

Amazing Car

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Extremely reliable"

Cons: "not a lot of speed for fast mergings"

"I bought a bare bones CRV on the last day of the year in 2001. I have spent very little money on this car, it gets yearly maintenance checks and only now it has needed some work (exhaust pipe is rusted and parts of it need replacing) I have hauled furniture, plants, mulch, christmas trees in it, and it still looks good inspite of it never getting washed or vacuumed. It doesn't have much mileage for its age, it's been driven most locally and my mechanic says it's good for another 10 years. I love my CRV and talk to it and tell it what a good car she is!"

Bought used, it still served us well for 5 years.

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "great price, not too expensive to fuel up"

Cons: "road noise, window motors sticky and slow."

"This was a very capable and versatile car for our family. We have a very steep and rough driveway that it handled with no complaints. Needed a new clutch at 100K miles, but that was reasonable. We felt comfortable in the snow, hauling construction material and parallel parking in town. Our biggest complaint was the road noise. It's a noisy ride on the freeway."

Honda CRV 1999, been best vehicle I have owned.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "1 of safest to drive, maintaince easy on wallet!"

Cons: "would like it in a Hybrid!"

"I bought my CRV in 1999. I really enjoyed it's roomy interior, and being lifted up a bit. It is 15 years old, and I was hoping to keep it for 20 to 25 because this car has pretty much been regular maintanance ONLY! I only had 118,000 miles on it...unfortunately, I was in a vehicle accident where my air bags deployed, which makes repairing it not worth it, as airbags are $2500 EACH (?) I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!! and regret this has happened...Honda made a great vehicle for that year and I knew when it came time to replace, I was going for another CRV! Also, the interior seats are still intact, not even faded, no tears! I highly recommend this model to others!"

Most dependable car you could own!!

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, compact, great in any weather"

Cons: "None!"

"I have had this car for over 7 years and it has been amazing on long drives and in serious weather conditions. It is amazing in the snow! What I love most is the size! Its compact and fits in the tiniest of spots which allows me to park anywhere! I would reccoment this car to anyone looking for dependability!"

14 yrs old, over 200K miles, best car ever

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, tight handling, solid car"

Cons: "Not enough pickup or power for such a large body"

"This car was 3 years old when I bought it and it's been the best, most reliable car I've owned. It has needed minimal maintenance other than the standard service, and has really only started breaking down in the past year or so. Even with its current problems, the engine still runs like a champ. The biggest downside to this car is the lack of power. It's a big body for 4 cylinders to have to lug around, and although the technology has improved a lot since 1999, this model just doesn't have much pickup. It's slow to accelerate, and on really hot summer days I would sometimes have to turn off the AC just to be able to maintain speed going uphill. I'm about to trade this car in for a newer version, but it's a 1999 with over 200K miles on it. I've gotten everything I could have ever wanted out of this car and then some."

Amazing Vehicle

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage, fun and easy drive"

Cons: "seats don't fold completely down"

"I bought this car about 1 1/2 years ago now at 181,501miles. I do a lot of long distance driving and so the reliability of this car amazes me. I have had to replace things such as a rear motor mound, radiator, o2 sensor, trailor arm bushings, rear shocks, front brakes and my compressor. But even so with those repairs the car has been reliable through everything. And as long as you maintain it with what honda recommends it makes the car last longer. All in all I adore this car."

Love this car still, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Love this car"

Wonderful car!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cons: "The ONLY con is interior road sounds."

"I am at 309000 miles and wonder IF I should sell it all. Everything is perfect and all I do is regular dealer maintenance. No complaints with anything about the car or the Wenatachee dealer. If you see this car with less than 150,000 miles buy it - it will be good for at least that much more."

The best!!!!

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "So reliable!"

Cons: "They don't make this model anymore."

"This is the third Honda in my family and my second CR-V. I purchased it new in 2001. It has always been reliable, easy to drive and park, great gas mileage, no maintenance, and a never-stay-at-home-in-the-winter-car. The only problem: They don't make CR-V's like this anymore. If they did I would buy a new one. I absolutely love this vehicle!!"

best car except for my 1974 volkswagen beetle.

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "everything good"

"best car ever. Trying to decide if I should spend $3500 to have car repainted?? want to go to 300,000 miles!"

Excelent "Mom" car

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

"I can fit 3 car seats in the back! That is hard to find on a budget. My CR-V has the capabilities of a small truck, with the maneuverability of my tiny Toyota Carola. The all wheel drive makes it so easy to drive out on the ranch. I love my CR-V!"

Great small SUV overall; just noisy at times

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Value, reliability, and design"

Cons: "Noisy at times"

"Reliable, practical, and well designed. Road and unibody related Noisy on rougher pavement or with the some tire choices; also might happen when reved up in passing or climbing hills. Runs well even when I pull my light weight, 14 foot sailboat/trailer."

comfortable, reliable and all around good car

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"My girlfriend and I both have one CR-V's WE both love them. They are reliable and have a low cost to own. The gas mileage isn't as high as some of the newer model but it has a large tank with three reserve gallons of gas in the tank. Although it may not be the fastest or most powerful car it is great for almost any amount of people and there is tons of room, even though it is smaller than the newer versions. It also is very open and makes it easy to see almost all of the road. A very durable car as well."

See if you qualify for