1998 Honda CR-V

Based on 506 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great AWD car, super reliable!

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Workhorse, reliable, well made, convenient"

Cons: "Underpowered"

Anza-Borrego Honda CR-V 1998

"I bought this car used telling myself, "Why not?" I was on the market for a Subaru but all of the used ones that I found had oil and fluid leaks that were quite expensive to repair. Then I found my 1998 CR-V AWD with 5 speed transmission. What a surprise! I am a mechanic and I learn to appreciate the avaibility of cheap aftermarket parts and how easy it is to work on this car. I went off-roading and the car can handle it, no problem. The engine could use a little boost but 26mpg on the highway helps forgetting about it."

Anza-Borrego Honda CR-V 1998

LOV CR-V, RIP.

By on Friday, April 29, 2011

"This was the best vehicle I have owned to date. For 8 years this vehicle was as dependable as my morning coffee. Then, my wife totaled it. Over 8 years, it was only in the shop for other than normal maintenance 4 times,(3 minor jobs, 1 valve job due to my speed racer mentality). This was a true all weather, all terrain vehicle. Snow, ice, mud, hills, water, sand and urban shopping malls could not stop this vehicle. Alas, an angry, late 80's street boat made of solid metal felled my beautiful Honda. But this same Honda gave it's all to keep my wonderful Wife and beautiful Daughter safe and sound I am happy to say. To anyone looking for a good, sound used vehicle, if you can get one of these, then get one of these! Farewell my beloved CR-V, 11 years and 196,000 miles was far too young to lose ye. RIP. I know, a bit dramatic but I just wanted everyone to get the point on how awesome this vehicle was."

THE BEST!!!

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I have never encountered a more durable and versatile car. I had a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. I bought it new. Bought this 98 CRV new also. I had problems up the ying-yang with the Ford. Had to get rid of it. It had 160000 miles on it. It was pure junk. Blue book value for Explorer=$3370. My Honda CRV. Still going strong and at 4yrs older. It's value: CRV=$3800. This CRV never broke down but the Explorer broke down and got towed several times over. I gave up on the truck when, one day the Explorer just would not start and got stuck a 100 miles away in 100 degree heat. It finally started and had electrical problems that followed. I gave up and traded it in for another Honda. I would give it 5 stars all around but, the older CRV is kind of outdated cosmetically vs. the newer CRV and engine power is slightly underpowered on hills and mountains. It is still a keeper though and very reliable. I wouldn't hestitate to buy a used one even at 100,000 miles or more which, is saying a lot already. I am not just saying over Ford and domestics but, against Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc,etc . All the vehicles I have driven a lifetime."

Fantastic little SUV

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Great SUV with decent milage for a car, great for its size. Lots of space, especially in the back. Lots of features and extra little goodies, it even comes with a picnic table. Great in the snow, able to climb a 22% grade hill with 4 inches of snow on it just fine(Cascade, Idaho for those in the know). Auto trans is smooth, though do not EVER get it powerflushed as this will destroy it, and make sure to always use Honda Trans fluid for the transmission, as this will make it much smoother and last longer. MAke sure to change the 4WD system with Honda Dual-Pump fluid, any other will cause it to burn up within a few days. Decent engine, though it is a bit underpowered till it downshifts. Cruise control is the only thing on this car that isnt at all good, at least on mine if you don't babysit it and watch what its doing it will just lose speed till its 5under what you set it, downshift, still lose speed and then downshift again till its trying to drive on a very slight incline at redline. Great when the road is flat, but as soon as it isnt, make sure to either take things into your own hands and drive or keep a close eye on it and help it out with a lead foot. Overall, an incredible vehicle and great small snow vehicle that gets around 25 in 25mph stop-go-stop-stop-go traffic, 28-30 on the highway at 70mph."

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."