• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1998 Honda CR-V

Based on 489 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

I love this car!!!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

"I bought this car new five days before 9/11 happened. It has been very reliable. I've never had to worry about having a mechanical breakdown. I have loved it for the past 13 years!! The only negative comment is that it is quite noisy when driving on the highways. (It would also be nice if the seats were a little softer to sit on, but neither issue is a major problem.) In the 13 years since I bought it, I have only had to change the battery and have the brakes replaced one time and the automatic window on the driver's door had to be repaired about a year ago. I never have had to worry about it 'breaking down.' A great car at a great price!!"

Great Vehicle - But

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Ride, Space, Comfort, Milage, Style"

Cons: "Adjust the Valves..Adjust the Valves!"

"Honda has a great product (Generation 1 CRV) but did not inform the Buyers the need to adjust the valves on the the newer engine of the Gen I CRVs. Shame on Honda for not backing the product and causing Buyers much frustration and unneeded cost. Poor product backing = lost future sales. I found out the hard way. Took care of the issue. Love the Gen I, but have lost faith in Honda. Would not buy a new CRV due to Honda not taking care of this issue when noted. Still will keep and love the CRV I have but now have purchased a Toyota due to Honda support. The Gen I will give you great service if... you adjust the valves! Don't learn the hard way!"

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

"This car is still going strong, and has survived so many potholes, thanks Michigan. I got it as a hammy-down from my dad and it was a great first car."

Longest I've ever owned a car, least issues.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE, practical, minimal maintenance/repairs"

Cons: "No passenger side armrest, loud cabin."

"2001 CR-V bought in '04,10 yrs later >200K miles. My best car buy ever. High reliability, minimal repair costs. Typical Honda issues: cabin is loud, brakes are squeaky. Minor complaints for the years of utility I've gotten."

I love my CRV

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "great all around car longs lasting no problems"

"I have 351,000 miles on my 1998 CRV, it is a great vehicle. Its quick response on the road has saved my life several times getting out of the way of crazy drivers. I do alot of freeway driving. I would recommend this vehicle highly. I am disappointed in the new CRVs especially since from 2001 on they do not have the rear end wishbone suspension which makes the CRV more responsive and easy to handle not to mention much less wear and tear on suspension."