1998 Honda CR-V

Based on 512 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Indestructible

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"I am an amateur race car driver, so it's a given that I'm equally hard on my street car. I have a 1997 CRV that I use as my daily driver. Bought used with 100,000 on the ticker. All the maintenance records show no repairs... only oil changes. Changed the timing belt as preventative maintenance at 120,000... Other than that the only thing I've changed is tires, oil and windshield wipers. The CRV now has 230,000 miles on it. The thing has never had a tune up. Still drives as good as new and I've abused it. I've taken it for passes down the 1/8 mile drag strip. I've driven it in the mud and got it high-centered on rocks. I've driven it ON the beach.. I've driven it in deep snow, ice, water up to the door handles. I've driven it in Midtown Manhatten, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Blue Ridge Parkway and on Interstate 4 in Orlando. I totally would take this car ANYWHERE in the United States right now. Doesn't use any oil... still has cold air... can't beat it!"

My faithful steed

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Manual Transmission, Bulletproof engine"

"I've owned this vehicle coming up on 16 years now, bought her new in late '96 with 5 miles on the clock, now over a half million miles! Mine is Dark Blue with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have never had so much as a hint of trouble with her, and have taken good care of her. I just recently replaced the clutch for the first time, valves adjusted every 30k miles and oil changed every 3,000 miles. Honestly this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. She still starts right up and is eager to get me where I'm going. If I ever need another vehicle, Honda will be my first choice!"

My best car

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive, good fuel economy, reliable,"

Cons: "kinda slow, could use more leg room"

"Ive owned my 2001 honda cr-v since 2008, and I've never had any problems with it! I bought it with 82k miles for $9,100, and it has around 126k miles on it today. I have had to keep up with the maitanence, like oil changes and tires. I also replaced the timing belt around 100k miles, but other than that this car has needed nothing. I love this car, and plan to drive it until it "dies." My only complaint is that there could be a little more leg room for the driver.. I'm 5'10 and I would definitley move the seat back further if I could. But then again, this is a small SUV so it isn't a surprise. Great on gas for an older SUV (averages 22mpg), looks great and runs the same today as it did the day I bought it."

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."

I love my Honda

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "great gas mileage"

Cons: "seats not real comfortable on long trips"

"I LOVE my CR-V. It's just the right size, not too big, not too small. All my groceries fit in the back and I never have to bend over to load them. I always put good tires on and I NEVER get stuck in the snow. This is my third Honda and I'll get another CR-V next spring. I've had this one for 10 years. Both my girls own Honda's as well. I just won't give up my Honda."

I love my 1997 CRV!

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "price, features, reliability, great in snow"

Cons: "none I can think of."

"owned since new in 1997. Never had a problem. I have had only to replace usual stuff like tires, timing belt, radiator, oil pan. NEVER had a break down, never had any issues with interior features. I will drive it till it dies!!! which may be after I'm long dead..."

amazing vehicle

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"i have got 195000 on my 1999 and hav had to do almost no repairs other than typical wear and tear. Still runs like great. I am looking for another because I like it so much."

I love my CRV

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "great all around car longs lasting no problems"

"I have 351,000 miles on my 1998 CRV, it is a great vehicle. Its quick response on the road has saved my life several times getting out of the way of crazy drivers. I do alot of freeway driving. I would recommend this vehicle highly. I am disappointed in the new CRVs especially since from 2001 on they do not have the rear end wishbone suspension which makes the CRV more responsive and easy to handle not to mention much less wear and tear on suspension."

250,000 MILES AND COUNTING!

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, Lasts a long time"

Cons: "Seats get uncomfortable, sharp turns are tricky"

"I just had to come on here and write a review about this wonderful vehicle. I just hit 250,000 miles the other day, and I have no intentions of getting a new car anytime soon! It's still on the first engine, and while it's had a couple of other replacements (nothing major), it runs beautifully and has never failed me. I've taken this car on several multi-day road trips, and I plan to do so again in the next few months. With regular, basic maintenance, this car will last you as long as you want. When I do get a new car at some point in the future (I'm only 23 and am the third owner of this car, so while I do love it immensely, it stands to reason that I will buy another car one day when I actually have the funds to do so), I will definitely get another Honda. It will probably be another CR-V too, though I admit I'm not too familiar with how good the newer models are. If they're anything like the 90s models though, I'm sure they're wonderful."

Awesome car

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "not much room in back seat for grown passengers"

"We bought this vehicle new when before the birth of our second son. It will go anywhere. It goes great in snow. It is very reliable. I would not hesitate to travel across the country in it even with the number of miles it has. I will probably keep it forever. Routine maintenance is all I have ever had done to it. It is a little crowded now that my sons are bigger, but still doable."

Very good SUV very reliable

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Honda quality, good on gas for an suv."

Cons: "road noise, could use more power."

"Just like most hondas the quality is amazing, I especially like the 5-speed manual tranny. My CRV has just passed the 200000 mark and has not had a major problem yet. I guess the only complaint i have about this car is that the road noise is noticeably loud along with the high revs at highway speeds. But other than that I absolutely love my Honda!"

great little road suv

By on Sunday, August 05, 2012

Reason: totaled

"Was a very reliable car that took me all over the us. Seated 5 but was usually just carrying 2 adults and 2 car seats. The car lasted me 10 years with only having to replace fluids filters and tires. I would still be driving the car but I was rear ended by a PT Cruiser going 45 mph and slammed into the back of a pickup. The passenger area of the car held together but the back cargo area and engine compartment are totaled. All in all a great little vehicle that took good care of my family."

248,000

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "dependable beyound belief"

Cons: "Not as comfortable as other suv's"

"she passed away today at 248,000 miles. By far the best car i ever owned. I bought her new in 1997. She still had many original parts in place and working just fine. Dealer serviced and up to date.The timing belt tentioner let go and being an interfrence engine, it sent the valves a flying and blew the engine.I reccomend the changing of said tentioner next time and any time you do the timing belt."

Wonderful car!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cons: "The ONLY con is interior road sounds."

"I am at 309000 miles and wonder IF I should sell it all. Everything is perfect and all I do is regular dealer maintenance. No complaints with anything about the car or the Wenatachee dealer. If you see this car with less than 150,000 miles buy it - it will be good for at least that much more."

Have owned for 12 years!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, spacious, great in snow"

Cons: "Not one!"

"I purchased my 2001 CRV with only 3 miles, and have owned it for over 12 years now (179,000) miles and I still can't bear to think of selling it! I have not had one mechanical issue with my car in all these years. My husband has tried to get me to drive the new cars purchased over the years, but I stick with Old Red! We love the cargo space available with the seats down too. This is my fourth Honda; I've loved them all, but the CRV is hands down the best!"

Excellent

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, excellent space"

Cons: "placement of tools to change spare"

"I LOVE this car. I have owned it since the summer of 2005, and if I had my choice would keep it for the rest of my life. I was the second owner. I have two kids and the space in the backseat has been great. I have had routine work on the car, and feared I was going to have to have valve work on it about 6 months ago. Just had to replace a coil. I would buy another Honda, most likely a CRV when it has to be replaced."

excellent SUV

By on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

"The only thing that could make this SUV better would be a V-6. My CR-V has been through really rough terrain and horrible weather conditions with me and has never failed to amaze me."

Exemplary stylish transportation

By on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

"Have the 5-speed manual and bought new in 2001. I love Hondas, have previously owned a '76 civic, an '80 civic, an '85 Accord (put 205K miles on). Typically get 22-25 mpg, (once got 27 mpg) whether city or highway, and I wish the upper end gearing gave better freeway mileage. Does amazing things for a four cylinder engine with a 4wd differential. Currently 78K miles and only a few annoying fixes including driver's window was sticking and needed repair, and main clutch reservoir leaked. Vehicle is a bit noisy at freeway speeds. My kids think the Alpine sound system is suboptimal but I find it OK and can blast good rock and roll. My wife finds the front seats stiff and has trouble with the lumbar portion, although I find the seats to be just fine. The ride is a bit stiff but smooth. I recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants affordable, reliable transportation. I put snow tires on for the winter as we get over 100 inches of snow yearly in West Michigan and this car does exceedingly well particularly with snow tires."

I love this car!!!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

"I bought this car new five days before 9/11 happened. It has been very reliable. I've never had to worry about having a mechanical breakdown. I have loved it for the past 13 years!! The only negative comment is that it is quite noisy when driving on the highways. (It would also be nice if the seats were a little softer to sit on, but neither issue is a major problem.) In the 13 years since I bought it, I have only had to change the battery and have the brakes replaced one time and the automatic window on the driver's door had to be repaired about a year ago. I never have had to worry about it 'breaking down.' A great car at a great price!!"

Great small SUV overall; just noisy at times

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Value, reliability, and design"

Cons: "Noisy at times"

"Reliable, practical, and well designed. Road and unibody related Noisy on rougher pavement or with the some tire choices; also might happen when reved up in passing or climbing hills. Runs well even when I pull my light weight, 14 foot sailboat/trailer."

comfortable, reliable and all around good car

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"My girlfriend and I both have one CR-V's WE both love them. They are reliable and have a low cost to own. The gas mileage isn't as high as some of the newer model but it has a large tank with three reserve gallons of gas in the tank. Although it may not be the fastest or most powerful car it is great for almost any amount of people and there is tons of room, even though it is smaller than the newer versions. It also is very open and makes it easy to see almost all of the road. A very durable car as well."

never a problem

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "longevity"

"best car i ever owned and best car anyone i know owns. never had any problem with major systems. repairs are inexpensive."

Still moving

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"My CR-V has 241,000 miles on it and still running strong! Starts every time like it has from the begining and I do nothing to it other than oil changes and VERY basic maintenance. Paint finish is beautiful and the interior still looks new, even with 2 messy children!"

Hate to get rid of it

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"We purchased our 1999 CRV new. My husband drove it for 6 years and I would not let him trade it in. He had all of the service done by the dealer as Honda recommended and it drove too well and was in too great of shape to trade. I have been driving it for the past 2 years and would really love to have the new CRV but hate to get rid of this one. Most of the parts are still the original except we are on our 3rd set of tires. I recently had the brakes checked and the mechanic could not believe that they looked like they were almost new after 130,000 miles. Our only complaint on this vehicle is that the engine is underpowered for trips in the mountains or for passing on the freeway. Other than that, it is a great little SUV. I still average 25 to 27 miles per gallon. I would highly recommend the CRV to anyone. By the way, my husband is 6' 7" and it is very hard to find a car he will fit in with his long legs. This worked out well for him."

Reliable, VERY low maintenance cost

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "good visibility, great in snow, lots of space"

Cons: "noisy, stiff ride"

"This is the most reliable and maintenance-free car I have owned. I service it regularly and keep it in good running order. It loves winters and has NEVER been stuck in the snow. Starts in the coldest weather. Somewhat noisy on the highway. Only grip I have, and this goes for ALL CR-Vs even the 2014s, is that they don't provide an armrest for the passenger seat! This is insane! I had one made and it has made all the difference for the passenger. Shape up Honda!!!"