1998 Honda CR-V

Based on 509 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Indestructible

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"I am an amateur race car driver, so it's a given that I'm equally hard on my street car. I have a 1997 CRV that I use as my daily driver. Bought used with 100,000 on the ticker. All the maintenance records show no repairs... only oil changes. Changed the timing belt as preventative maintenance at 120,000... Other than that the only thing I've changed is tires, oil and windshield wipers. The CRV now has 230,000 miles on it. The thing has never had a tune up. Still drives as good as new and I've abused it. I've taken it for passes down the 1/8 mile drag strip. I've driven it in the mud and got it high-centered on rocks. I've driven it ON the beach.. I've driven it in deep snow, ice, water up to the door handles. I've driven it in Midtown Manhatten, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Blue Ridge Parkway and on Interstate 4 in Orlando. I totally would take this car ANYWHERE in the United States right now. Doesn't use any oil... still has cold air... can't beat it!"

Awesome little SUV, I will miss you!

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "good value, long-lasting, great & safe vehicle"

Cons: "kinda noisy inside, cheap interior"

"I had a BLUE HONDA 1997 CRV. I'm the original and only owner of my vehicle. That car was my pride and joy. I literally took that suv on long trips up and down the California coast line. It had its little maintenance issues as it grew older, but what vehicle doesn't? I always had the item serviced at a dealership, until recently, I found a really good and honest mechanic. In fact, I just recently had some major issues fixed on the vehicle and it still ran like new. PROS: I love this vehicle! Reliable, easy to drive, economical gas saver for an SUV, big trunk, four cups holders(heck it came in handy), alot of foot and knee room when sitting in the back and front, many different compartments for mini storage of items. Safe vehicle to be in an accident, take it from me! LONG LASTING, maintain your vehicle correctly and get those maintenance checks & oil changes then the vehicle should last a really long time. CONS: Kinda of noisy inside the vehicle, but I got used to it over time, some stuff will rattle due to possibly cheap interior or guts - but whatever didn't bother me after awhile. The seats material could have been alittle better made, but it was the first year the CRV came out. Some of the paint started to fade away on my car, but I think it was a result of again the age of the vehicle. Nothing to majorly wrong with the vehicle in my opinion. My story has a very sad ending. My vehicle was approaching the 184000 mileage, and I was hoping that if well maintained I could stretch this vehicle up to 300k. I have seen other CRV's stretch beyond 300K and still run in great shape. Unfortunately, just recently my CRV was in a auto accident. I was hit from behind, and even though the damage to my vehicle didn't look that bad, the frame underneath was damaged along with other issues. So, now I'm stuck finding another vehicle. I want another honda CRV. I was told that this vehicle probably saved my life, because when I saw the other guys car(a Pontiac Bonneville), that car was just totally trashed - the whole front end just collapsed like an accordion. However, just alittle comment to those wanting to purchase a honda CRV, don't hesitate. Its a great reliable, safe and long lasting vehicle, gas-saver. There nothing wrong with low mileage and higher mileage hondas, just do your research ahead of time. Get an idea of cost based on mileage and use of the vehicle. If you purchase a CRV, always do your research, carfax, get a local mechanic or dealer to check out the guts inside, and do a through check yourself. Most Hondas in general nowadays will literally last a very long time if well-maintained. Well I hope my review will be helpful to everyone in cyberspace. Off to find another CRV!"

My faithful steed

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Manual Transmission, Bulletproof engine"

"I've owned this vehicle coming up on 16 years now, bought her new in late '96 with 5 miles on the clock, now over a half million miles! Mine is Dark Blue with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have never had so much as a hint of trouble with her, and have taken good care of her. I just recently replaced the clutch for the first time, valves adjusted every 30k miles and oil changed every 3,000 miles. Honestly this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. She still starts right up and is eager to get me where I'm going. If I ever need another vehicle, Honda will be my first choice!"

My best car

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive, good fuel economy, reliable,"

Cons: "kinda slow, could use more leg room"

"Ive owned my 2001 honda cr-v since 2008, and I've never had any problems with it! I bought it with 82k miles for $9,100, and it has around 126k miles on it today. I have had to keep up with the maitanence, like oil changes and tires. I also replaced the timing belt around 100k miles, but other than that this car has needed nothing. I love this car, and plan to drive it until it "dies." My only complaint is that there could be a little more leg room for the driver.. I'm 5'10 and I would definitley move the seat back further if I could. But then again, this is a small SUV so it isn't a surprise. Great on gas for an older SUV (averages 22mpg), looks great and runs the same today as it did the day I bought it."

Great AWD car, super reliable!

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Workhorse, reliable, well made, convenient"

Cons: "Underpowered"

Anza-Borrego Honda CR-V 1998

"I bought this car used telling myself, "Why not?" I was on the market for a Subaru but all of the used ones that I found had oil and fluid leaks that were quite expensive to repair. Then I found my 1998 CR-V AWD with 5 speed transmission. What a surprise! I am a mechanic and I learn to appreciate the avaibility of cheap aftermarket parts and how easy it is to work on this car. I went off-roading and the car can handle it, no problem. The engine could use a little boost but 26mpg on the highway helps forgetting about it."

Anza-Borrego Honda CR-V 1998