1997 Honda CR-V

Based on 506 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Have owned for 12 years!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, spacious, great in snow"

Cons: "Not one!"

"I purchased my 2001 CRV with only 3 miles, and have owned it for over 12 years now (179,000) miles and I still can't bear to think of selling it! I have not had one mechanical issue with my car in all these years. My husband has tried to get me to drive the new cars purchased over the years, but I stick with Old Red! We love the cargo space available with the seats down too. This is my fourth Honda; I've loved them all, but the CRV is hands down the best!"

Excellent

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, excellent space"

Cons: "placement of tools to change spare"

"I LOVE this car. I have owned it since the summer of 2005, and if I had my choice would keep it for the rest of my life. I was the second owner. I have two kids and the space in the backseat has been great. I have had routine work on the car, and feared I was going to have to have valve work on it about 6 months ago. Just had to replace a coil. I would buy another Honda, most likely a CRV when it has to be replaced."

excellent SUV

By on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

"The only thing that could make this SUV better would be a V-6. My CR-V has been through really rough terrain and horrible weather conditions with me and has never failed to amaze me."

Exemplary stylish transportation

By on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

"Have the 5-speed manual and bought new in 2001. I love Hondas, have previously owned a '76 civic, an '80 civic, an '85 Accord (put 205K miles on). Typically get 22-25 mpg, (once got 27 mpg) whether city or highway, and I wish the upper end gearing gave better freeway mileage. Does amazing things for a four cylinder engine with a 4wd differential. Currently 78K miles and only a few annoying fixes including driver's window was sticking and needed repair, and main clutch reservoir leaked. Vehicle is a bit noisy at freeway speeds. My kids think the Alpine sound system is suboptimal but I find it OK and can blast good rock and roll. My wife finds the front seats stiff and has trouble with the lumbar portion, although I find the seats to be just fine. The ride is a bit stiff but smooth. I recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants affordable, reliable transportation. I put snow tires on for the winter as we get over 100 inches of snow yearly in West Michigan and this car does exceedingly well particularly with snow tires."

I love this car!!!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

"I bought this car new five days before 9/11 happened. It has been very reliable. I've never had to worry about having a mechanical breakdown. I have loved it for the past 13 years!! The only negative comment is that it is quite noisy when driving on the highways. (It would also be nice if the seats were a little softer to sit on, but neither issue is a major problem.) In the 13 years since I bought it, I have only had to change the battery and have the brakes replaced one time and the automatic window on the driver's door had to be repaired about a year ago. I never have had to worry about it 'breaking down.' A great car at a great price!!"

Great small SUV overall; just noisy at times

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Value, reliability, and design"

Cons: "Noisy at times"

"Reliable, practical, and well designed. Road and unibody related Noisy on rougher pavement or with the some tire choices; also might happen when reved up in passing or climbing hills. Runs well even when I pull my light weight, 14 foot sailboat/trailer."

comfortable, reliable and all around good car

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"My girlfriend and I both have one CR-V's WE both love them. They are reliable and have a low cost to own. The gas mileage isn't as high as some of the newer model but it has a large tank with three reserve gallons of gas in the tank. Although it may not be the fastest or most powerful car it is great for almost any amount of people and there is tons of room, even though it is smaller than the newer versions. It also is very open and makes it easy to see almost all of the road. A very durable car as well."

never a problem

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "longevity"

"best car i ever owned and best car anyone i know owns. never had any problem with major systems. repairs are inexpensive."

Still moving

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"My CR-V has 241,000 miles on it and still running strong! Starts every time like it has from the begining and I do nothing to it other than oil changes and VERY basic maintenance. Paint finish is beautiful and the interior still looks new, even with 2 messy children!"

Hate to get rid of it

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"We purchased our 1999 CRV new. My husband drove it for 6 years and I would not let him trade it in. He had all of the service done by the dealer as Honda recommended and it drove too well and was in too great of shape to trade. I have been driving it for the past 2 years and would really love to have the new CRV but hate to get rid of this one. Most of the parts are still the original except we are on our 3rd set of tires. I recently had the brakes checked and the mechanic could not believe that they looked like they were almost new after 130,000 miles. Our only complaint on this vehicle is that the engine is underpowered for trips in the mountains or for passing on the freeway. Other than that, it is a great little SUV. I still average 25 to 27 miles per gallon. I would highly recommend the CRV to anyone. By the way, my husband is 6' 7" and it is very hard to find a car he will fit in with his long legs. This worked out well for him."