1997 Honda CR-V

Based on 512 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

440,000 miles says it all....

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Will run forever"

Cons: "A bit of road noise (not major)"

"Bought the car new. Never had any major problems in 440K miles. Routine maintenance, a catalytic converter, and finally the timing belt are all it has ever needed. NEVER stranded me anywhere in all these years. I love that the seats fold FLAT, unlike my newer model. Great interior space. My newer model has more cargo space, but this one is more efficiently laid out, and easier to use. No lip at the back is a plus for loading. The larger access through the back is also nice; the newer one has a smaller portal in the back which interferes with loading. Why did they mess with a good thing? A little more road noise than some cars, so I didn't give a perfect 10, but it is by far the best car I have ever owned."

Fine car but for the valve issue.

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Likeable ride and reliable for long time."

Cons: "Valve issue repair = half car's value."

"Purchased new in 2000. Commuter car first 6yrs. then kids' college car next 6. Great for all that and reliable. Driver side power window died 4 yrs ago. and Then, the biggie. Valves never adjusted and blown head. Four mechanics all agreed cheaper put in new engine than repair. $1200 for motor $800 for installation. Search Internet for CRV valve issues...plenty to read on that about internationally Honda recommended valve adjust evey 30,000 miles, but US models were to be at 100k. Should be fine, but that major hit and gun shy of it now. Replacement engine had 60,000 miles, so it coul happen to me again ?"

CRV Strong!! Best vehicle I ever owned!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive & worth every penny"

Cons: "Expensive to replace the front drive shaft!!"

"I absolutely love my CRV. We bought it new in 1997. Had 3 kids to learn to drive in it. Youngest son wrecked it, any other vehicle would have been totaled, but had minor damage. This car is still going strong!! LOVE, LOVE, Love!!"

Scrappy, steady, reliable.

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Few weaknesses. This car has been a beast."

Cons: "It would be nice to have better towing."

"I bought my CR-V in 2008 in St. Louis while it still had a Mexican license plate. Earlier this year I moved to Seattle and drove the CR-V. This car has been around, and is still in wonderful condition. Whether commute to work, or cross-country trips through the mountains, this car is up for the task. I have had only two maintenance issues; a CD player malfunction (it's not a big enough deal that I'm likely to ever get it replaced), and a crack in the radiator (it was about $200 to replace.) Even when my girlfriend hit and killed a six-point buck, the CR-V sustained only minor cosmetic damage (a few minor dents in the hood and deer fur in the grill), absolutely nothing to fix or replace. Considering the age and miles, it has been exceptional. Even if I've put off a tune-up or oil change, the CR-V has been very forgiving. I'm sure I've been very lucky as well as good to my CR-V, but it has been wonderful back to me. It's not flashy, and I wouldn't say it does any one thing exceptionally, but it can do anything reasonably well."

Great car

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Economical, functional, reliable"

"Bought my 2000 CRV brand new 12 years ago and have been driving it ever since. It is not luxurious, but a great car for running around town, hauling a kid or two and a dog. Love the functionality of hauling some things with seats down and AWD in snow. I looked at replacing it with a newer model last summer, and wasn't crazy about the new models. I have decided to keep driving this one another couple of years."

We love this vehicle. Very little expense.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "GOOD CAR, DEPENDABLE, FUN TO DRIVE. EASY TO HANDLE"

Cons: "NONE"

"This automobile has been a joy to drive. It has never put us down. Never given any problems. Still drives like a charm. I would recommend it to anyone. Hope to drive it another 100,000 miles."

one of the greatest

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

"one of the best ever owned. reliable and economical. does the job day in and day out. simple to operate. only thing needed was a new timing belt and brakes. still running strong."

Great car, reliable and easy to maintain!

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "Compact, Big inside, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "No driver arm rest, Could use a 6th gear."

"This car is wonderful, 5-speed transmission and a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine is a great combo. Its great inside as well, comfortable with the downfall of no driver or passanger armrests. Easy to drive and great in the snow! Real Time 4WD works great."

I love it!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Cons: "No arm rests in the front"

"Great vehicle, I hae had it for 6 years now, with just minor wear and tear maintenance. I love the space, how the back seats fold down. The body is made to last and withhold damage and rust. With my car being a 2000, it only has a few rust spots."

1999 CR-V EX

By on Monday, April 19, 2010

"I purchased a Honda CR-V EX new in December 1999. After 10 years and 150,000 miles, I have found the vehicle to be by far the most reliable car I've ever owned and it was my tenth. The real time 4WD has been great for the snowy winters in central Illinois. Other than oil changes faithfully performed every 3,000 miles and the general maintenance recommended by the owner's manual, the only other repairs have been the brakes done once at about 100,000 miles, replaced the belts as a preventive measure, two batteries, and I'm on the 3rd set of tires. I did recently have the radiator replaced when it cracked along the hard plastic portion at the top, but this was a fairly inexpensive repair ($130 for a new radiator). The car does not use oil and starts on the first try every time. It still has its original muffler. I never really planned on keeping a car this long but I just cannot bring myself to trade it as I do not care for the appearance of the new generation CR-V (slopping back and blind spot). The interior has held up great. A friend bought a new Dodge Intrepid at the same time I bought my CR-V and by comparison, his car's interior is in bad shape (cracked dash, steering wheel's material is deteriorating, excessive carpet wear, fading upholstery). I've never had any problems with the AC as I see other owners have. On average, I get a combined 22 mpg in the winter and a combined 25 mpg in warm weather. I find the four cylinder engine has the acceleration and power of a V-6 even after ten years. I would definitely recommend the first generation CR-V to anyone looking for reliable transportion."

Repairs are adding up

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"Bought it at 76k and now it is at 170k. From 76k to 163K I had no problems, but in the last 12 months the little ($200-300) repairs are really adding up.....then the big blow, I just dropped 1600 to rebuild the transmission. Hopefully I can get a break before anything else needs repair."

Very Reliable

By on Saturday, December 06, 2008

"Nothing major has been done to my car and it has never needed too many repairs. I'm still driving it after owning it for 9 years and I'm sure it will last me another few years. The best feature of this car is how every seat is roomy. I've had a coworker who is over 6' say there is a ton of room in the back for his legs without having to push the front seats forward. The trunk space is a good size and always loved the feature of having a secret ice chest compartment underneath the back with a picnic table. I know of no other cars with the same feature."

Good Combo of Utility and Value

By on Thursday, October 02, 2008

"I have owned this base model 2000 CRV AWD, 4cly Automatic for 8 years and driven 80k miles. I ave 26-30 mpg mostly city driving. Depending on time of year in extreme weather (hot/cold) the mpg is lower. The engine, trans, suspension have been free of problems. Some other annoying issues have surfaced e.g. pwr windows, pwr locks failures, heating/cooling losing its punch. This car is surprisingly roomy for a small SUV (I am over 6ft tall), easy to drive in traffic and ground clearance gets me through floods, mud, snow, etc."

A Decade later

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I've had my 98 CRV for 10 years and I've loved every minute of it. With the exception of having to replace the catalytic converter twice (which is a little odd), I've thoroughly enjoyed the comfort and realiability of my trusty sidekick. 160K miles laters and it's still running like the day I bought it. I even still like the style of it!"

My Absolute Favorite

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Our family has owned over 25 Hondas, and most have been worn out. Not because they are junk, but because we are a large family and well all drive so much. That said, this car is my absolute favorite. My 1997 CRV that I bought brand new in 1997 has over 297,000 miles on it. I have used it in the mountains and horrible roads. I have ABUSED my car. I have no rust. I have finally worn out the AWD. I couldn't even find a new AWD driveshaft to repair it because there wasn't any of them out there to cannabilize! These are awesome cars. I still can't part with mine. In fact, I'm looking to purchase another low mileage version of the first CRV's. What can't I say good about them? Improvements needed: It needed a little more HP, but I can live with it. The fan motors on these and Accords all seem prone to burning up. But considering what value I've gotten out of my car, you can tell these are not major issues. I love this car. I am not disappointed. I just wish I could get it in a 6 or 7 person version and have it be this good."

Fun, Reliable, Good Mileage Vehicle

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"I think the 1999 CRV is a great little SUV. It is a fun, reliable, good mileage vehicle. It has about the same gas mileage as a Honda Accord. I think it is the best small SUV on the new market. The brand new ones look really great (the design) too. The only weaknesses are the pick up on excileration could be better at times (it is a V-4) but that's the tradeoff for good mileage I guess. It is roomy in the back but with 2 or more kids you could use maybe an extra 6 inches of cargo space. Overall very reliable and fun to drive."

Honda CRV 1999, been best vehicle I have owned.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "1 of safest to drive, maintaince easy on wallet!"

Cons: "would like it in a Hybrid!"

"I bought my CRV in 1999. I really enjoyed it's roomy interior, and being lifted up a bit. It is 15 years old, and I was hoping to keep it for 20 to 25 because this car has pretty much been regular maintanance ONLY! I only had 118,000 miles on it...unfortunately, I was in a vehicle accident where my air bags deployed, which makes repairing it not worth it, as airbags are $2500 EACH (?) I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!! and regret this has happened...Honda made a great vehicle for that year and I knew when it came time to replace, I was going for another CRV! Also, the interior seats are still intact, not even faded, no tears! I highly recommend this model to others!"

The best!!!!

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "So reliable!"

Cons: "They don't make this model anymore."

"This is the third Honda in my family and my second CR-V. I purchased it new in 2001. It has always been reliable, easy to drive and park, great gas mileage, no maintenance, and a never-stay-at-home-in-the-winter-car. The only problem: They don't make CR-V's like this anymore. If they did I would buy a new one. I absolutely love this vehicle!!"

great car for the money--dependable and ecomonical

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Economical, responsive, dependable"

Cons: "Obvious road noise, bounces somewhat on the road,"

"Great value--excellent on gas, somewhat bounces over the road, but handles well. Quick, but not fast, obvious road noise, comfortable seats and roomy cargo space. Regret not getting a sun/moon roof."

most faithful vehicle I have owned

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "Thousands of trouble-free miles"

Cons: "Motor struggles up hills w/ AC, road noise"

"Bought this car w/ 80k miles, and have driven it daily to 226k. Have replaced only age-related things such as battery, muffler, etc. Needs to have valves adjusted periodically to maintain power on hills, but otherwise have had no trouble whatsoever. Breaks my heart that a kamikaze deer may have done her in, b/c with so many miles the insurance company will never give what it's worth to me."

great car

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "Maybe engine undersized, transmission shift points"

"I would get another one. Bought 5 years ago for $4500. Did only normal maintenance (oil changes, battery, upper front ball joints, a tire, wiper blades). Put 60000 miles without a breakdown in Nebraska winters ,summers, two trips to Louisana. It needs new shocks, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and probably brake linings. Its been a great car. It will probably go to 300K if I kept it and I'm thinking of keeping it. When I do the above repairs, it will still be worth about 3500."

Most reliable car I have ever owned!

By on Friday, September 09, 2011

Pros: "Goes anywhere anytime without worry."

Cons: "Would prefer 5 sp trans on newer models."

"Everything still works fine. 25 mpg on hwy, 20 around town. Interior and exterior still look like new (I had leather installed when new.) Replaced tires and battery twice. Recently had all fluids and belts replaced so expect another 100K easy. Only possible complaint is road noise so buy "quiet tires" like Hankook H727's."

Very reliable

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Cons: "no arm rest for the passenger in the 98 - odd"

"I've had my 98 for over 8 years and have had very few problems aside from the regular issues. I take care of it well and in return it takes care of me. Very roomy, great for someone who moves a lot or has kids."

Good Vehicle

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"Very good vehicle. Catalytic converter had to be replaced at 85000 miles. Other than that only routine maintenance and vehicle still runs and drives great. Decent gas mileage for 4WD at 25 mpg. Currently has 127,00 miles. Plan on driving it at least another 100,000."

CR-V is a Gem!

By on Monday, December 29, 2008

"I bought this car new in 2000 and now, after almost 80K miles and 8 years, it is still fun and easy to drive.Never kept another car this long! It is the best traveling car ever, with good visibility, handling, comfort and plenty of room for cargo. Our other car is a Volvo XC70 and we always choose the CRV for trips -- that says something. Mileage has been an average of 25mpg around town and 29mpg on the highway. I can't think of a better car, or a better value, on the road today. The only 4-star ratings were for performance (it has zip but could use a bit more) and a boxy look which I like but not everyone else does. When this car needs to be replaced, I will definitely get another CRV. Best car I've owned in 40+ years of new car ownership from Fiats to vans to trucks and everything in between."