1997 Honda CR-V

Based on 485 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."

I love this car!!!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

"I bought this car new five days before 9/11 happened. It has been very reliable. I've never had to worry about having a mechanical breakdown. I have loved it for the past 13 years!! The only negative comment is that it is quite noisy when driving on the highways. (It would also be nice if the seats were a little softer to sit on, but neither issue is a major problem.) In the 13 years since I bought it, I have only had to change the battery and have the brakes replaced one time and the automatic window on the driver's door had to be repaired about a year ago. I never have had to worry about it 'breaking down.' A great car at a great price!!"

Great Vehicle - But

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Ride, Space, Comfort, Milage, Style"

Cons: "Adjust the Valves..Adjust the Valves!"

"Honda has a great product (Generation 1 CRV) but did not inform the Buyers the need to adjust the valves on the the newer engine of the Gen I CRVs. Shame on Honda for not backing the product and causing Buyers much frustration and unneeded cost. Poor product backing = lost future sales. I found out the hard way. Took care of the issue. Love the Gen I, but have lost faith in Honda. Would not buy a new CRV due to Honda not taking care of this issue when noted. Still will keep and love the CRV I have but now have purchased a Toyota due to Honda support. The Gen I will give you great service if... you adjust the valves! Don't learn the hard way!"

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

"This car is still going strong, and has survived so many potholes, thanks Michigan. I got it as a hammy-down from my dad and it was a great first car."

Longest I've ever owned a car, least issues.

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE, practical, minimal maintenance/repairs"

Cons: "No passenger side armrest, loud cabin."

"2001 CR-V bought in '04,10 yrs later >200K miles. My best car buy ever. High reliability, minimal repair costs. Typical Honda issues: cabin is loud, brakes are squeaky. Minor complaints for the years of utility I've gotten."

I love my CRV

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "great all around car longs lasting no problems"

"I have 351,000 miles on my 1998 CRV, it is a great vehicle. Its quick response on the road has saved my life several times getting out of the way of crazy drivers. I do alot of freeway driving. I would recommend this vehicle highly. I am disappointed in the new CRVs especially since from 2001 on they do not have the rear end wishbone suspension which makes the CRV more responsive and easy to handle not to mention much less wear and tear on suspension."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Attractive style, very reliable, great cargo space"

Cons: "slow acceleration going uphill"

"I love my Honda CRV even though it's a 1997 model - bought it the first year it was available. It failed to start just once when the battery was 10 years old. It labors when accelerating uphill but otherwise has good pick-up. The only rust is on the wheels. I'm sorry they changed this model's look and size - I don't like the new ones. I think my car has a lot of miles left on it before it quits!"

Best car I've ever owned!!

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable, lots of room and cargo space."

Cons: "No adjustable lumbar on the front seat."

"Do the regular maintenance religiously, that's all it takes. I have had NO problems with this car and I have 239000 miles on it. I'll bet it will go for another 100k!"

Best car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great city, country, mountain car"

Cons: "no multi-disc player"

"My family and I love this car so much, we named her. It's been super reliable around town and on road trips. Hauls a lot-sports gear, kids, pets, camping equipment. Great all around family car with great gas mileage. It's only required standard maintenance. I've owned other cars like volkswagens, and chevys in the past and had to do a lot of maintenance-very expensive on those, but my CR-V has been a great car!"

Best SUV EVER!!!

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Strong, economical, dependable, has 4 cup holders"

Cons: "no cons..."

"I have owned this car since it has less than 60,000 miles on it. It now has 208,000 miles, and has never failed to start and drive beautifully! It never uses oil, never overheats, and never has a problem in snow or on ice. Being All Wheel Drive, and 4 speed auto, this car is economical as well. I drove it to Houston, Texas and averaged 39 miles per gallon the entire trip down there. That's NOT highway, that's the overall average mileage for the entire trip calculated from the gallons used and the mileage driven to getting back to our driveway at home! You just can't beat the quality of this car!"