• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1997 Honda CR-V

Based on 489 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

My CRV was like a family member

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "RELIABLE"

Cons: "Noisy interior, no sunroof for this year/model!"

"I've driven this car faithfully for 14 years, it was so reliable. The transmission just went out on it (2nd one) so, my mechanic advised me it's time for a new car. Even when it broke down it did so in a convenient way; never left me high and dry trying to get somewhere like work or an important appt. I got the car for camping, hauling and driving in snow. Once, while in Yosemite for Thanksgiving, my CRV was allowed to traverse the snowy, icy roads out of the park without snow tires by the authorities, and we made it home safe and sound. My CRV served like a workhorse, ever faithful and dependable. I still see 2000/2001s on the road, this car is an incredible value and provided so much for as long as I've owned it."

Best SUV I ever owned

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Reason: poor gas milage, rust

Pros: "Best Manual CRV made"

"I loved my CRV.. I loved everything about it and wish I'd never sold it. I would have bought a new one, but they no longer make a 5 speed. I like to drive, not be 'driven'. I miss my CRV and it was incredibly reliable, comfortable and high off the ground. Pretty much the perfect vehicle. Gas milage was not great, but back then, gas wasn't much of an issue. I wish.. I wish.. I wish.. it still came in a manual transmission. I'd sell my boring Accord in a heartbeat."

Great car. Tremendous reliability,

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

"I loved this car. It was so dependaple. I drove it for 210,000 miles and it still works perfectly. It is not fast, but the engine is more than capable. It was great in the snow, and it is not equipt with high tech features. It is what Honda's used to be. Basic, reliable, low cost repairs. Honda's have gotten so technical, when I got a different car, I kept this. It saved my life because I did not have to make payments for ten years when my finances were s"

has been a great car, never had a problem

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "very pro toward geting a new one"

Cons: "no cons, this is my second one...."

"always taken good care of it, never abused it as a female driver of course.. hate to get ride of it but time to move on to a new one.. I just can not believe how long this car has been so good ,, but good care has helped I am sure. it still runs like a top..Is gold in color alwheel drive 4door .hatch back.."

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."