1997 Honda CR-V

Based on 512 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Indestructible

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"I am an amateur race car driver, so it's a given that I'm equally hard on my street car. I have a 1997 CRV that I use as my daily driver. Bought used with 100,000 on the ticker. All the maintenance records show no repairs... only oil changes. Changed the timing belt as preventative maintenance at 120,000... Other than that the only thing I've changed is tires, oil and windshield wipers. The CRV now has 230,000 miles on it. The thing has never had a tune up. Still drives as good as new and I've abused it. I've taken it for passes down the 1/8 mile drag strip. I've driven it in the mud and got it high-centered on rocks. I've driven it ON the beach.. I've driven it in deep snow, ice, water up to the door handles. I've driven it in Midtown Manhatten, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Blue Ridge Parkway and on Interstate 4 in Orlando. I totally would take this car ANYWHERE in the United States right now. Doesn't use any oil... still has cold air... can't beat it!"

My faithful steed

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Manual Transmission, Bulletproof engine"

"I've owned this vehicle coming up on 16 years now, bought her new in late '96 with 5 miles on the clock, now over a half million miles! Mine is Dark Blue with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have never had so much as a hint of trouble with her, and have taken good care of her. I just recently replaced the clutch for the first time, valves adjusted every 30k miles and oil changed every 3,000 miles. Honestly this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. She still starts right up and is eager to get me where I'm going. If I ever need another vehicle, Honda will be my first choice!"

My best car

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "easy to drive, good fuel economy, reliable,"

Cons: "kinda slow, could use more leg room"

"Ive owned my 2001 honda cr-v since 2008, and I've never had any problems with it! I bought it with 82k miles for $9,100, and it has around 126k miles on it today. I have had to keep up with the maitanence, like oil changes and tires. I also replaced the timing belt around 100k miles, but other than that this car has needed nothing. I love this car, and plan to drive it until it "dies." My only complaint is that there could be a little more leg room for the driver.. I'm 5'10 and I would definitley move the seat back further if I could. But then again, this is a small SUV so it isn't a surprise. Great on gas for an older SUV (averages 22mpg), looks great and runs the same today as it did the day I bought it."

Can this be my last car, please?

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliable"

"I bought a 2001 CRV used at a Honda dealer last spring with 103,000 miles on it. They didn't have maintenance records to show whether or not the timing belt had been changed, so they split the cost 50/50 with me plus gave me a new set of spark plugs. And when the window motor went out a month after I bought it, they offered to do the same. Great customer service! This little CRV is phenomenal. I love driving it. Feels like a pick-up truck. Holds a ton since the seats fold down. The interior still looks great except for wear and tear on the carpets. Has neat compartments, like the cooler/drop-down table in the cargo area. We're expecting baby #3 and I refuse to get rid of this vehicle and am absolutely determined to fit three car seats across. I'd rather drive this thing for another 10 years (with zero car payments for 9!) than trade "up" to a minivan. I bought a paint touch up stick to fix little rust spots here and there, which are only noticeable up close. I would consider investing in a paint job because I'm confident it will last another 100,000 miles. It needs a new battery as it has the original one now, which lasted 13 years. Amazing. I've bought wiper blades and new tires, and performed oil changes, and I'll keep doing so for as long as she lasts."

I love my Honda

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "great gas mileage"

Cons: "seats not real comfortable on long trips"

"I LOVE my CR-V. It's just the right size, not too big, not too small. All my groceries fit in the back and I never have to bend over to load them. I always put good tires on and I NEVER get stuck in the snow. This is my third Honda and I'll get another CR-V next spring. I've had this one for 10 years. Both my girls own Honda's as well. I just won't give up my Honda."

I love my 1997 CRV!

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "price, features, reliability, great in snow"

Cons: "none I can think of."

"owned since new in 1997. Never had a problem. I have had only to replace usual stuff like tires, timing belt, radiator, oil pan. NEVER had a break down, never had any issues with interior features. I will drive it till it dies!!! which may be after I'm long dead..."

amazing vehicle

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"i have got 195000 on my 1999 and hav had to do almost no repairs other than typical wear and tear. Still runs like great. I am looking for another because I like it so much."

I love my CRV

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "great all around car longs lasting no problems"

"I have 351,000 miles on my 1998 CRV, it is a great vehicle. Its quick response on the road has saved my life several times getting out of the way of crazy drivers. I do alot of freeway driving. I would recommend this vehicle highly. I am disappointed in the new CRVs especially since from 2001 on they do not have the rear end wishbone suspension which makes the CRV more responsive and easy to handle not to mention much less wear and tear on suspension."

250,000 MILES AND COUNTING!

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, Lasts a long time"

Cons: "Seats get uncomfortable, sharp turns are tricky"

"I just had to come on here and write a review about this wonderful vehicle. I just hit 250,000 miles the other day, and I have no intentions of getting a new car anytime soon! It's still on the first engine, and while it's had a couple of other replacements (nothing major), it runs beautifully and has never failed me. I've taken this car on several multi-day road trips, and I plan to do so again in the next few months. With regular, basic maintenance, this car will last you as long as you want. When I do get a new car at some point in the future (I'm only 23 and am the third owner of this car, so while I do love it immensely, it stands to reason that I will buy another car one day when I actually have the funds to do so), I will definitely get another Honda. It will probably be another CR-V too, though I admit I'm not too familiar with how good the newer models are. If they're anything like the 90s models though, I'm sure they're wonderful."

Awesome car

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "not much room in back seat for grown passengers"

"We bought this vehicle new when before the birth of our second son. It will go anywhere. It goes great in snow. It is very reliable. I would not hesitate to travel across the country in it even with the number of miles it has. I will probably keep it forever. Routine maintenance is all I have ever had done to it. It is a little crowded now that my sons are bigger, but still doable."