2009 Honda Civic

Based on 1866 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

very comfortable drive; great mpg

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

"Higher mileage car than I have bought before. Replaced both batteries, to include hybrid battery at 116,000 miles, to the tune of $3500.00. So car should be good on batteries for another 116,000 miles! Clean inside, quiet and smooth ride. Pleased with unleaded regular gas mileage--39-42.5 hwy; 36-39 city. Exterior paint very good. Headlight covers need cleaning up--have become cloudy. Regular maintenance done. Have done long distance driving and car performed excellently."

Perfect Economy Car for Me

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "MPG, tight drive, looks, interior useage"

Cons: "Highest gear makes 75 mph @ 3200 rpm."

"For getting me and one other around, this one's perfect. The things I can think of off the top of my head are; good economy (MPG & MSRP), fun to drive, great interior, decent space (can fit a bike in the trunk with the rear seat down), and not bad to look at. What I wish it had was a 6th gear or a higher 5th gear for a slightly lower RPM when cruising on the interstate. I gave it a 7/10 Comfort & Convenience rating because it's not a sedan or wagon with convenience, but it certainly is comfortable."

Love this car!

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

"I have owned 2 of these cars. These cars are very practical, reliable and fun to drive for what they are. Very low maintenance. Love these cars. I've got 125k miles on it now and going up rapidly without looking back."

Good everyday vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable (for an economy car), gas mileage"

Cons: "Power, some squeaks/rattles"

"The Civic EX-L is an economical luxury car (if there is such a thing). Rides well (for a small car), and handles reasonably well. The vehicle stability control does make a significant difference when driving in bad weather. Minor gripes are the squeaks and rattles that seem to come and go as the temperature changes. They don't usually last more than a few minutes, but are sometime annoying. Power is adequate for normal driving, but definitely not going to impress people who drive with a heavy foot. Mileage is 28-30 mpg city/hwy combo driving. Did get 37 mpg on a trip to PA recently, running at 70-75mph. However, conditions were ideal - cool weather - driving with windows closed and no A/C on. 33-35 mpg on the highway is more typical. Good, comfortable, reliable car. Leather interior and heated seats make it seem not quite so economy. We ended up buying a 2009 Civic LX-S for our daughter. Both cars purchase used (EX-L with 30K, LX-S with 40K), both have held up well for past 18 months, and both now have 50K + on the odometer."

Love this little car! Good mileage, fun to drive!

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "compact, fits anywhere, sleek"

Cons: "compact, drives like a smaller car"

"BEST little car ever!"

5 years

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "very small economy car"

Cons: "excellent gas milage, totally green car"

"I have owned this car since the Fall of 2008. I have never had any mechanical or NG related problems. It has been an excellent commuter car. Avgeraging about 40 mpg (sometimes mmore, sometimes less). Very good gas mileage and very cheap fill ups! First totally GREEN car I ever owned. I wish that when I had purchased it that I would have had more options (Leather seats, different model (SUV) etc), but this was the only NGV vechicle available at the time. I would have just like more cosmetic options. For the value, and the amount of money I have saved on gasoline over the past five years, I cannot complain, the car runs great."

Solid vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fuel economy."

Cons: "Small interior space"

"Solid value in a vehicle. Purchased certified used and have not regretted it. The car delivers above advertised fuel economy and we have no complaints with it."

A supercar!

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Good looking and dependable"

Cons: "No cup holders in the back"

"I bought this car in 2010 from a used car dealership and never had any real problem with it other than regular maintenance. In the 3 years that I own it, I changed the brakes in 2012 and bought new tires. This car is very dependable and very good with gas with an average in city driving of about 30 mpg. My daughter and I love this car. It looks great and drives great. It is a must for commuting and young drivers like the look and feel of this sporty-looking car."

Love this car! Fun to drive

By on Sunday, May 05, 2013

"My Honda Civic has been a wonderful investment. It holds its value beautifully. Just a fun, stylish car for any age."

Good vehicle for the money

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "gets about 30 mpg, reliable, lots of room"

Cons: "airconditioner doesnt get very cold, clicking nois"

"I have owned my 2009 Honda civic now for a year and am mostly satisfied with it. The only problems i have had have been it needing new front brakes (which is expected buying a car with 40,000 miles on it), and i have replaced the battery. The only other thing has been i have been hearing a strange light clicking sound coming from the engine for a few months now. It seems to idle a little high for the type of car and the year but havent had any other problems. I plan on keeping my civic for many more years and it being Honda i know the resale value will stay pretty high. Overall I would recomend this car to others looking to purchase one but just look it over well before buying a pre owened vehicle."

Fantastic car for all types of drivers!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, stylish, quality, features"

Cons: "3rd gear grind"

After a thorough cleaning

"When I first started driving ('05) my brother and I went in together on a 2002 Acura RSX-S that was our pride and joy for the short 2 years that we had it. Unfortunately, it began suffering near constant mechanical issues over 110k miles even though the vehicle history / maintenance history was immaculate, with documentation. ****************** I wanted something similar in power, driving dynamics, and resale as the RSX, and I knew the Si had the same base K20 engine, and was essentially the younger cousin to the RSX. I'll break this down in three parts: Performance, Reliability, and Quality. ****************** *********Performance: This car weights ~2800 pounds, has a 197hp 2.0L I-4 in a FF layout. It easily has enough pep to be enjoyable around town or on the back roads without being threatening to a newer driver if too much throttle is used. The FWD aspect does tend to lean towards a bit of understeer, which is completely fine, but this can be mitigated with stickier tires and some camber adjustments if desired. The limited-slip is a welcome addition coming from the RSX, and it works quite well when pushing the limits. Acceleration is pretty standard for its' class (maybe slightly on the slower side versus some), somewhere in the 6.5s-7s range 0-60, though it always feels faster when rowing through the gears at 8k rpm. If you do want that sudden burst of power, you will need to make a downshift or two to get the revs up around 5k but I enjoy this, as I feel it delivers a more intimate driving experience. Also, the shift throw is nice and crisp (you'll often see that many people remark how great the shifter feel is in honda transmissions). Steering feel I think is great, and I've always been able to feel the limit of grip since the car transmit's the driving sensations quite well. I've driven this car in every weather condition and and very happy with the way it behaves, as well as the way the safety systems behave. I've also taken this car to a few autocrosses (bone stock), and it has performed great. *********Reliability: I took delivery of my '07 with ~4500 miles on the clock, and have just passed 62k. I have yet to have a single issue outside of the recommended maintenance schedule. I started oil changes every 3k but have recently let them go 5-6k based on the maintenance minder indicators with no issues. I had rear brakes done last summer, and will do the fronts this summer. Standard schedule for brake fluid, tire rotations, air filters, etc... I haven't done transmission fluid yet, I've talked with a few mechanics who have suggested that MTF should be good for 75k+ or even 100k miles. My only issue has been the well documented 3rd gear grind with the 6spd manual. Just google search "3rd gear grind, honda/rsx" and you'll likely get hundreds of hits on forums detailing the issue. Is it annoying, yes, can you live with it, yes. Check with your local honda dealer, some will attempt a fix outright, some will try to replicate it first. I've taken my Si on several road trips, around the city, onto dirt roads, and everywhere in-between. It's built well and will stay reliable as long as you keep up with it. Take care of your car, and it'll take care of you. *********Quality: For the most part, quality is great for a compact sports car in the $20k price range. The interior materials are nice, the cloth is soft, the seats are nice and snug, the buttons and other hardware do not feel cheap like the new 2012 civic. One thing I have noticed, after a while, the cloth and padding on the armrests does start to wear down after a bit. Imagine the knees on an old pair of jeans, constant use will just wear it down. I imagine I could replace them if I really wanted but they're not aesthetically un-pleasing just yet. If the car spends a decent portion of its time parked in the sun, the UV exposure to the black cloth will begin to fade the color a bit, but again, nothing you probably wouldn't see on any other car. As far as road noise/rattles/squeaks etc... It's the Si, it will ride firmer, and it may be a bit louder than its non-Si counterparts. I don't mind, and it's never been an issue for me. Rattles/squeaks, nothing unusual. A little vibration here or there, but again, it's a civic, not a BMW or Mercedes. Of all the cars (in the ~$20k range) I've been in, I'd say the interior quality is easily top 10%. The only exterior quality issue you may or may not have to contend with is paint. The paint is a bit thin and if you check the forums, you may see people with "crows feet" or similar paint related issues. I'm fairly meticulous about the upkeep of my cars, and aside from a few rock chips in the paint on the hood or front bumper, no issues here. The car is extremely nice from factory and if you put the work in to keep it maintained, you won't have any issues. People are generally surprised when the get into my car and realize it's almost 7 years old now, it still looks and feels almost as good as when I first took delivery. ****I know this is a long review, and I probably haven't covered nearly everything but I'll sum it up here. If you're looking for a dependable, good looking, fun to drive, all-around great car with good gas milage (30-32 highway), definitely look at a 2007-2011 Civic Si."

After a thorough cleaning

great car with perplexities

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "great reliable fun car to drive, good warranty,"

Cons: "bad trans, catalytic, & air bags"

"Great driving comfortable Car, bought it with 33k in Oct. 2010. Since than replaced a transmission and catalytic converter on warranty. Air bag dysfunction lights now go on, Honda wants $1300 to replace(not on warranty any longer). Though I love Honda's. Will be considering other brands of the day considering all that should not have gone wrong with this car."

I love this car!!

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "good price, great drive for younger folks!!"

Cons: "taky interior"

"I love this car so very, very much! This car being my first car, I may sound a little biased, but whatever. The value and reliability on the car are still great, KBB said that I could probably get 12,000 dollars for it right now when I bought it about 2 years ago, with 50,000 miles on it for 13,000!!! The quality inside the cabin is a little plastic, and taky. the driving dynamics of the car are great from what I can tell. It handles corners very well with speeds like 55 to 60 and the acceleration is very responsive. the design of the care overall is very nice and smooth. It has a lot of sleek spots and has great looking back, which is hard to find in most coupes... the comfort is a little trouble for me because im 6'4" so I don't fight exactly into it, my head sometimes touches the roof, but not often. The Convenience part is great except for the gps that can be a little difficult at times. It's a great car and I would highly suggest for you to buy it!!! :)"

Best car ever!

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "great price, stylish, fun to drive, cheap to fix"

Cons: "not enough room for a big dog."

"I have had my car for three years now and have not one complaint. MPG is awesome, I get 34mpg driving to work daily. Maintenance is minimal. The digital speedometer is my favorite feature."

I love my 2009 Civic LX!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Pretty style, fun to drive, great on gas !"

Ms. "Daisy"

"This is my fourth Honda, and as always, it has not failed to impress! This car is adorable inside and out! The interior is roomy, sleek, and reminds me of the cock pit of an airplane! At night, the lights on the inside are a beautiful blue and purple and the smaller "race car" looking steering wheel is very cool! I find the seats comfortable, even on long trips. Another neat feature is the sound system, which automatically turns the volume down as you slow down, then back up again as you speed up! And the gas mileage is excellent!! I will be keeping this car ( whom I call "Daisy" ) for a very long time!"

Ms. "Daisy"

Fantastic Car

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

"I have owned my 07 Civic SI Coupe for a bit over a year now. It is a wonderful car. You will be hard pressed to find a naturally aspirated car that handles as well as its gas milage. Never had any problems so far with the car, and I cannot detect any problems. I have driven it in the Utah mountains with snow on the road, and it handled better than my old 4x4 truck. I would recommend to anyone!"

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pros: "economy, price, performance"

"In order to buy this car I had to justify it as a commuter. I have a 60 mile daily roundtrip for work. It delivered expected fuel economy from day one while driving like a poor man's sportscar (as they say ... my other car is an Audi TT Roadster). I can't find a fault with this vehicle. It is everything that it's advertised to be and more. Very reliable and surprisingly useful with the fold down rear seats. I've hauled large items, e.g., broken down picnic table, large screen tv, and more recently my sons have used it as their college vehicles where its survived college age drivers and also hauled massive amounts of things to and from college over long ~500 mile drives. This car is a real runner!"

nice vehicle

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "great price great gas mileage"

Cons: "too low for me to get out of easily"

"this is one of the most dependable cars I have ever owned. I bought it new and am very pleased with my trade in value."

Great economy sport car!

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, comfortable, great design inside out."

Cons: "Back seats aren't meant for people 6 feet and over"

"I own a black 2009 Civic coupe EX 5-speed manual. Interior: Overall this car is very comfortable. When sitting in the inside you really feel like you are sitting in the inside of a cockpit or race car without sacrificing comfort. It it very stylish with the two-tier display in the car with bright vivid blue lighting. The front bucket seats hug you very nicely and the material feels great. The Premium sound system that comes in the EX models are amazing. I use to own a 2005 Acura RSX Type S before this car, and the sound compares nicely to the Bose system that came standard in my Acura. You can listen to music through CD/MP3/WMA, USB connectivity, Aux port, and radio. The controls for the stereo on the steering wheel very useful as well. Exterior: The outside of the car has a very clean and simple look to it. It looks aerodynamic and a little futuristic. The design of the car (especially it not being an Si) doesn't stand out a bunch, but looks sporty enough to get me some attention. the 16 inch alloy rims that come on the 2009 EX's looks great along with the moonroof and chrome tip exhaust. Driving experience: The car definitely lacks in the aspect of power compared to my old Acura RSX Type S, but it's what you would expect from an economical sport compact car. the 1.8L 140hp single overhead cam. i-Vtec engine is surprisingly a lot more powerful than what i was expecting though, but it still nothing like the 2.0 210hp Dual overhead cam. i-vtec engine from my old Acura. But these are the sacrifices i knew i had to take in order to get great gas mileage. Overall: I bought this car mainly because My Acura was totalled a few months ago during an accident that was not my fault and i needed a car. I have 2 1/2 years of college left, so i decided i needed a great sporty economy car to help me get through the rest of college with a great resale value for when i decide to get another car later on after i graduate. This car is nice, comfortable, reliable, with great mpg, and comes with many features i would have expected in high end, more expensive cars."

Best Car I've Owned

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "price, gas milage, fun to drive,"

"This is my 5th car in the last 4 years and is hands down the best. I have owed Audi, Ford, and Toyota before this car and none even compare to the civic. Everything about this car just screams quality and value. I get GREAT gas milage and the interior is sooo much roomier than you would think from looking at it. I hope to own this car for a long time."

AMAZING

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE"

"I went from driving a 06 G35Coupe 6Sp to this i thought it would be a down grade BUT ITS WASNT i love this car. Its funner to drive than the Infiniti and its just a great car and such a good gas saver but has the power when you want to play. 10\10"

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage and Great quality for the price"

Cons: "Road noise, Emergency brake position"

"I have only had this vehicle for approx. 2 months but really enjoy driving it. My wife and I have taken it on 3-4 trips that were 200 miles and found it to be very fuel efficient and comfortable for the drive. Road noise is much better than my wife's Chevy Cobalt but could be better. Also like only changing oil every 5,000 miles! Seems to be a very dependable car for the price."

Great Car at Twice The Price

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "great value, very reliable, great looks"

Cons: "dealer maintenance, no dropping rear seats"

"I bought my 2009 Civic LX new from the dealership and got a pretty good price for where I live. My family has had good history with Hondas, and I really liked the look of the front end on this particular model (although I wasn't so hot on the rear fascia at the time). Knowing that I was getting into a car with above average reliability and good gas mileage and safety were the key factors in my decision to go with the Civic. I test-drove the Civic and Accord back to back, and honestly I felt the Civic was much more enjoyable to drive while the Accord had a disconnected feel akin to Toyotas (not a bad thing if you prefer that feel, but I don't). Having driven the Civic in Hawaii and along the US East Coast, I think it is better suited to the islands because of its light weight and small size. It felt like the smallest vehicle on the road in Virginia, and while it is stable up to 90mph, it was a white knuckle driving experience on the interstate there. After two years of ownership, I am even more pleased with the Civic than ever before. With the new 2012 Civics, I feel like Honda made some design mistakes and the reliability ratings have gone down. On the exterior the new Civics have lost the small window behind the a-pillar and moved the side-view mirrors to that location. Although purely aestetic, I like the look of the 2006-2011 windows/mirrors better. The interior of my Civic is still very nice and I love the speedometer. Everything feels like it is high-quality, and I have had no issues so far. Perhaps one drawback is that the rear seats don't go down to increase the cargo space with the trunk. My only complaint is with the dealer's maintenance department. I took my Civic in for a regular maintenance and it came out to $300 for what was basically an oil change. They claimed to have rotated the tires, but I discovered later on that they didn't even do that. If you buy any Honda new from the dealership, I recommend you find an outside mechanic shop for all your maintenance as it will save you a bundle and likely result in better work."

Love this zippy little car!

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, sporty, compact."

Cons: "None to really speak of."

"I bought this car brand new in April, 2007. It is perfect for one person because of the size. I can zip around in this and the gas mileage is incredible. I get about 40 mpg highway so my trips to the Jersey shore are only about 5 gallons round-trip (100 miles each way). Local driving gets me about 30 mpg. The car handles well and has been trouble-free so far. It accelerates nicely (sometimes too quick for people who tap the pedal) and handles well. The interior is really nice but my only issue is the plastic inside can tend to scratch easily. The paint is still holding up nicely and I do wax it only once or twice a year. This car is not meant for larger people. My husband is 6'2" and a big guy and he is extremely uncomfortable in this car. Otherwise, all-in-all this is a great car!"

Reliable, Safe, Efficient

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Fuel efficiency, safety and reliability."

Cons: "Large dash and windshield are a nuisance to clean."

"I drove my car all over VA and to Texas. I have driven in snow and extreme ice storms and it got me where I was going safely. With fuel costs where they are, I rarely spent over $34.00 to fill up from empty. Fuel mileage is awesome in this car. I love it and would highly recommend it to any one."