2004 Honda Civic

Based on 1782 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Value Package - the best description for this car

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "engine, transmission, 40 plus mpg"

Cons: "I'm still thinking"

"If you are looking for a solid, reliable Honda Civic, this is the one you want. This car has value all over it. I paid $11,900 for my 20005, new. 110,000 miles later and I have only paid for basic maintenance items, like oil, tires, brake pads, and timing belt/water pump. I have owned several previous Hondas and do all my own maintenance. This is the sweetest running model (1.7L engine) I have owned. It runs strong in every gear and I can get 45 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. The transmission shifts as smoothly as when new. At idle you can't hear or feel it running. Yea, the older, non-strut suspension models handle much better, but after 110,000 miles everything is as tight as new and no squeaks."

BEST CAR OUT THERE

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage, great price, long lasting"

Cons: "Doesn't accelorate like I want it to"

"This is my first car. I've had it for 4 years and I've definitely put some miles on it. I bought it used for around $12,000-4 years ago- with only 50,000 miles on it. It runs great, low maintenance, great gas mileage, and I intend on having this car for another 10 years. When they make another car that gets this kind of mileage at an affordable price I may consider upgrading. I've only had to get oil changes and change out my breaks because of how frequently I drive this car. This is a great first time car that will last your child at least a decade."

Amazing Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Pros: "This car is amazing"

Cons: "style is a little plain"

"I bought this car brand new in 2003. It currently has 283,215 miles and it is still going strong. It still gets incredible gas mileage and is the epitome of a low maintenance vehicle. Other than routine maintenance (oil, tires, timing belt, brakes, tune ups) the only issue I have ever had with this car was that the thermostat went out once about 6 years ago. This car is a hammer, you can't break it. I have had it for 12 years and it has been as steady as a rock. It has been paid for for 7 years and I will still get around $3k for it when I sell or trade."

Honda's old saying, "We make it simple"

By on Friday, August 26, 2011

Pros: "fun, simple, great gas miles...a blast to drive"

Cons: "none to speak of"

"I own a 2005 civic lx coupe...I love this car, it has 74k miles now and never a problem at all! I get in, turn the key and it goes, better yet, continues to go all the time..never a problem ever. Fit and finish are excellent, oil changes are simple (always at 1500 miles). Who could ask for more in a daily commuter car, it's so comfortable, all the creature comforts, and never a worry on a short commute or a 3500 mile trip. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for great simple transportation. Honda's slogan in the early 80's was "We make it simple"...they sure do....I still have my 1980 accord LX 3dr that I bought new in 1980 for 6500.00, fully restored now with 90k original miles, driven only in good weather...I am the typical 2 Honda Family......"

Passes the gas station, but not quickley,...

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Economic to operate, easy to maintian"

Cons: "No Power Windows, engine is under powered"

"If you are looking for reliable, basic transportation the 2005 Honda Civic "Value Model" is the car for you. Change the oil every 3000 miles, fill it with gas and go. I am averaging about 38 MPG on the freeway with the minor improvements I have made. I put in a K&N air filter, Bosch Triple Platinum spark plugs, change the oil and add ProLong oil treatment every time. Your freeway mileage will be reduced if you try to pass or overtake other vehicles. The zero to 60 time means that you will get up to 60MPH sometime tomorrow. Time based maintenance tasks are quick, easy and affordable. The only major operation I have had to do is replace the serpentine belt at 70K miles. Otherwise, breaks, lube, cooling system flush are all predictable and affordable. Pros: It is a great little car and once you warm up the squirrels that power it, it can be fun to drive. By fun I mean that it will handle like an oversized go-cart. I'm using Parrelli Elite Series tires and they stick to the road like a wet stamp in tight corners. The low profile hood offers great visibility and field of view. The interior layout is convenient and easily accessible, with minimal distraction. It does offer a tilt steering column that makes gage observation and driving position less strenuous as it would without. For a stock, Basic Honda it does offer a decent sound system and CD player. When I win the lottery and can afford a McLaren, Austin Martin or Bugatti,... I would actually keep this car as a daily driver. Cons: If you are over 6 feet tall, you may have to fold your knees into your chest to get into the car. The cabin and cockpit area is not especially spacious, yet what do you want for it being a compact sedan. When the side window is in the up position, the crank handle will be in the side of your left knee, yet you do get use to it after a while. While the stereo & CD player is adequate it does not offer a 3.5mm MP3 / iPod input plug. Additionally, if you disconnect or remove the vehicle battery, the stereo will lock up, requiring the use of an unlock code. Fortunately, I knew the original owner personally and was able to afford the dealership the appropriate information to obtain the unlock code. Otherwise, you will have to take it to the dealership and they will charge you from $60.00 to $80.00 to unlock your radio. The 12 volt accessory plug is allocated behind the passengers side cup holder, so if you have a plug (Phone Charger, GPS, etc.) that is a little large, you will have difficulties using the cup holder. At high speeds (65 - 70 MPH), you will experience some road noise. Actually, the road noise is only rivaled by a space shuttle lift off. If you are using a Bluetooth headset, you will have to pump up the volume to 11. Additionally, if your Bluetooth is sensitive, the person on the other side of the phone will complain about background noise. The only other notable problem with operability (Other than lacking power) is the yellowing of the outer headlamp covers. While the anti oxidation cleansers work a little, always note that most of the oxidation is on the inside of the lens cover."

I love this car - I wish it was still available!

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "Really fun to drive and hatchback is practical"

Cons: "None, other than it's a small car"

"This car was my favorite car ever, and if it was still available I'd buy it again. It's the perfect combination of sporty & practical."

Love this car. Best Vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, reliable, economical, resale value"

Cons: "lack of power in low gears (as expected for 1.7L)"

"Fantastic car! It's 12 years old and I have only performed minor maintenance and upkeep on the car. It's still pretty zippy for a 1.7L engine. Great gas mileage. Trunk is more spacious than you might think. Very easy to work on and find parts. Interior, exterior, and engine has held up great over the years. I live in the Midwest and I have never had a problem getting around in this car during or after a snow storm. I have owned, GMC, Chevy, Ford, and Nissan vehicles. This car is by far the best quality vehicle I have had. Sorry Detroit. You've never made a product this good. 108,000 miles and still going strong."

Runs like a Champ 169000 miles owned 7 years

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Relibility, fuel Economy, easy to work on"

Cons: "typical small car ride, no key less remote entry"

Still going strong and looking good.....

"Head liner is coming off no biggie,I change oil every 5k mile, replaced windsheld wiper bushings $6 and 2 hours of my time,replaced cam postion sensor $18 and 3 hours of my time. All routine maintance I have done my self 42mpg highway 34mpg around town no complaints I think t will go forever no check engine light on Chris from Winchester, Ky."

Still going strong and looking good.....

Reliable Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"We have owned the vehicle since 2005 and is a great vehicle. Nothing flashy but good dependable commuter car."

love my car

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"best car i have ever owned love honda's. worst part about the car is its to small for a family. great teenager car though."

Purrrrrfic engine

By on Saturday, March 27, 2010

"First Honda I have owed, bought used at 28,000 miles. I now have 108,000 miles. Pot holes in my city have done some damage to the front end a few times, but the engine is incredible. My previous American Made cars cannot compare to the quality of the engine that Honda makes. They perfected the 4 cylinder gas engine. 30 MPH in the city, up to 39 MPH on the highway. The down side is that I don't have any excuses to trade it in. It works too well. Expect to pay about a $1000 to your mechanic at 100,000 miles when you change the timing belt. Other than that, just an occassional oil change is needed and avoidance of potholes is recommended."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"I now have right at 120,000 miles on my Civic EX and she still runs perfectly. I've had the car for over 5 years now. I've had no problems with it whatsoever, have only had to do regular maintenance, oil changes, etc on it. The car gets EXCELLENT gas mileage. I can go a long way on a tank of gas, it's amazing and something I'm very greatful for as gas prices rise. I would recommend this car to anyone. It's safe, comfortable and affordable."

Good Commuter car

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"this car gets really good gas milage and it has a little bit of pep. Your not going pullin 10 second quarter miles but its pretty good"

This is a one owner car.

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

"I bought this car new and it is in excellent condition. I have had it serviced every 3,000 miles. I am a lady and have driven most of the miles in my hometown area, out of state only 2 or 3 times. Gas mileage is 30-31 MPG."

I LOVE MY CAR

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

"I bought this car with 5 miles on it. I drove it back and forth all through college and pharmacy school. I moved out of town in 2007 (about 200 miles away) and continue to drive back and forth all the time. I now have almost 120,000 miles on it and with the 4th kid on the way, my husband is finally making me sell it to get something bigger. I have never had any issues with this car. It has been wonderful, reliable, comfortable, and an all around great car."

LOVE IT

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

"This car is amazing. very reliable, good on gas and it is fun to drive. maintenance is minimal and it is very cheap. it looks very small from outside but it is very spacious inside. plenty of room in the back and there are four cup holders."

BEST ALL AROUND CAR EVER MADE.

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

"Overall - if you put a score on all the different (value, functional) characteristics of cars and added them up, I think this car would come out with the highest score of all time. Considering - adding up a value of: price (less than $15k), reliability, durability / longevity, trade-in value, maintenance costs, handling, basic comfort, noise level, acceleration, versatility, capacity (particularly for its class), mileage [overall - hwy, city, summer, winter ave: 42 mpg, Highway ave: 45, highest (4 times): 56 mpg, lowest ever (in winter city) 32 mpg]; NOT considering: aesthetics - appearance, creature comforts - gadgets, etc. --- BEST ALL AROUND CAR EVER MADE."

Extremely Reliable; all he asks for is oil!

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

"I bought my Honda with 169,000 miles. I dive back and forth from Tampa to Atlanta a lot, so I racked up the mileage. He (my car) had a stalled start because I needed to change the spark plugs. But other than that, all he really demands are oil changes. His brakes are life-saving and extremely low-maintenance."

Best I ever bought

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "Fuel mileage"

Cons: "road noise"

"Bought the vehicle with 80K miles now have 175K and other than brakes, and LOF'S no repairs"

238,000 so far, need I say more?

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "reliabilty and fun to drive, roomy but good gas mi"

Cons: "seat not comfortable"

"No major repairs. Did oil changes every 3000 or 3500 when you need to or not ...was putting 23K on a year commuting. I think that helped the longevity."

As good as a Prius, and a lot cheaper

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"This car has provided trustworthy and efficient transportation for over a decade, with no issues. I love the zippy ride, the awesome gas mileage, and the easy parking. The fold down rear seats make it easy to throw a bike in the back (or building materials). Really, it's amazing what you can fit. The HX is zippy and delivers at least 5mpg better than the other models, as far as I can tell just by virtue of having a superior engine design and lighter wheels."

Great car!

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "cute, reliable, great gas mileage, comfortable"

Cons: "loud road noise, dash creaks"

"This car has been fabulous! Very reliable, very few things i have had to do to even maintain it in the 5 or so years i have owned it! I have a 1 yr old son now and we bought an older jeep cherokee thinking it would be better for me toting the kid around, drove that for a few weeks and then told my hubby give me my civic back!! My car was suprisingly easier to get my infant car seat in/out of(downward and back motion instead of having to lift UP, more roomy in the back to sit and breastfeed my son when out and about, and the carseat installs much more securly than in the jeep! This may be a 2 door car but it has the tether anchors for carseats down in the seat crease AND up above! My friends mini van didnt even have all three car seat tether anchors! I love the plush velvety feel of the seats and the back seat in particular the headrest is sooo soft and comfy! Even tho my interior is tan every spill has washed right off my seats with just dishsoap and water! My ONLY complaints with this car ever has really been that the dash creaks and that the road noise is somewhat loud inside especially if your sitting in the back. Love my civic, even tho it only has two doors and i now have a toddler i still wont give it up! :) The gas mileage is amazing too :) Only other thing i've liked as much was my Del Sol (which is a honda civic also!) haha :)"

best car, most economic i have owned

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "mileage, reliability,"

Cons: "it may not last me forever"

"I bought this car new in 2003, keep it serviced, one 19$ part needed over and above ge eral service. I trust it, i am comfortable in it and hope to get another 200,000 miles out of it. Average gas mileage mid 40 s in the cold, upper 40s, low 50s in the summer."

Love this car more everyday!

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "Peppy vtec, great visability, unbeatable value!"

Cons: "Honda doesn't make this exact car today!"

"This car has it all! off the lot value that only increases as time goes by; the ease of a smooth 5 speed manual transmission; the pep of a perfectly tuned VTEC engine; superior visability from well placed pillars, roomy interior, ample cargo space and fold down seats which add to the car's versatility. I couldn't be happier with my choice 9 years ago or find a car i'd rather replace my Honda Civic EX with today."

auto transmission went out at 132k $2500 repair.

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "great mpg, easy to manuever in parking lots"

Cons: "trunk small,no armrest front passenger"

"I understand that Honda is having problems with the auto transmission fluid so they changed the formula too bad for us who bought the later models so check that maintenance (especially on auto transmission) were preformed (make sure they have receipts), poor design on battery cables they fail and are expensive to replace with original Honda parts I used universal battery clamps that bolt on that worked just fine. Great on gas, replaced driver power window lift motor, need to recharge a/c system quite often dont understand why, but overall just keep up with maintenance."