2003 Honda Civic

Based on 1706 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Bought new without test drive. Never regretted it.

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "Good, reliable, basic; sound system top-notch"

Cons: "Car is now older; needs some work"

"This car has been great to drive. Have taken it on long trips. Only problem is gear shift can be jolted out of gear into neutral easily by mistake because of design (no offset). Great pep on hills when turbo is engaged. Moon roof is great still; no leaks after 10 years. Space for hauling items is amazing when using the fold-down backseat.I have driven four people comfortably in this car."

Extremely dependable

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks sharp, dependable, gas mileage"

Cons: "the rear quarter panels rust along the wheel well"

"Minimal repairs required if routine maintenance is completed.Anticipate it to run beyone 300,000. Only problem with Honda's is the rear quarter panels rust along the wheel well. This is one of 5 Honda's I have owned and will stick with this Make for dependability and high mileage."

Wake up Honda

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage."

Cons: "Noisy, Poor braking, slow acceleration, expensive"

"Honda is sleeping and it's going to cost them a lot. The 2001 model has the worst brakes I have driven. Mine is a 2001 LX sedan automatic. Also it is very noise at highway speeds. Maintenance has been very expansive. I bought it new now with 196,000 miles I have had to fix twice the transmission(very expensive 2,200 each), replace twice the A/C compressor, Replace twice the steering pump, replace the shock absorbers, replace the whippers system, replace two window regulators, replace the A/C blower. The Air bag light came on 20,000 miles ago, on top of regular maintenance & replacement charges. So is Honda Civic a reliable Car ? NO! Look for a FORD or a Chevrolet."

Do Not Purchase This Car, Run Away!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient"

Cons: "Every component of the car"

"I've had non stop problems with this car from the first day I bought it. I've essentially replaced every component of this car, ground up. The whole suspension is made out of weak rubber that fails every 6 months-1 year. I've replaced the engine at 80K, transmission at 120K, whole air cooling system, belts, pumps, mounts, infinite brakes, batteries, everything! It's at 167K now and problems keep on mounting, now it's the steering rack going bad and bushings. Please for the love of anything good in this world do not buy this car; the worst are the 2000-2005 models. Here's the real world numbers I spent 6000K on this car used and have spent over 10K just trying to get this car moving."

Excellent car for city,

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Very good car for city driving"

"Bought car new in 2005 as my wife's work car. Car never has been out of the city. Have most service papers. 90K complete service 08-20-12. New Tires."

amazing little car

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "gas saver, reliable, cheap to insure"

Cons: "wish it have the k20 engine from factory"

"I have my civic for 13 years now. I have done all the routine maintenance, no problems so far. Other than timing belt and front Lower Control Arm Bushings(highly recomend polyurethane bushings) everything else is easy to do. I always use OEM replacement parts. It's so easy to work on it that if you are mechanical incline you can do all the maintenance in the car, all maintenance is done by me. Interior room is good and excellent visibility all around, engine is peppy for a 1.7lt, brakes good and I still get around 27 miles per galon in the city and like 35-38 hwy. CIVIC EX AT 4DR."

Runs like a Champ 169000 miles owned 7 years

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Relibility, fuel Economy, easy to work on"

Cons: "typical small car ride, no key less remote entry"

Still going strong and looking good.....

"Head liner is coming off no biggie,I change oil every 5k mile, replaced windsheld wiper bushings $6 and 2 hours of my time,replaced cam postion sensor $18 and 3 hours of my time. All routine maintance I have done my self 42mpg highway 34mpg around town no complaints I think t will go forever no check engine light on Chris from Winchester, Ky."

Still going strong and looking good.....

Great vehicle overall!

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "reliability, gas mileage, cheap parts"

Cons: "leg room, cluster, powerless windows"

"I purchased this vehicle back in 2009. I received it with 27,000 miles on it. At the time, I didn't want anything too fancy, fast, or sleek. My budget wasn't letting me anyways. So I settled for the 2005 Civic "VP". I drove it to Texas from South Florida and back a couple of years later. I have to admit, I am blown away at the amount of mileage and daily usage I give this car. It yet has to give me some real big issues. I give the car what it needs, such as it's routine oil change, which is done by myself. I keep up with the wheels and tires. Also, small details like cabin air filters. It yet has to nudge! Great investment! As far as comfort goes, it's not as great as I'd like it to be. I'm 5"11 and I have to bend my right knee in order to par up with the accelerator, even with the seat at its furthest setting. The interior is noisy, especially on highways. The car is very, very basic. Roll up/down windows. No tachometer. Not even a carpet clip to hold them down in place. I have to be repositioning a whole lot. All in all, I don't mind sacrificing some comfort issues, as the engine is purring at 99.99% after 9 years!"

LOVE IT

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

"This car is amazing. very reliable, good on gas and it is fun to drive. maintenance is minimal and it is very cheap. it looks very small from outside but it is very spacious inside. plenty of room in the back and there are four cup holders."

Very good car

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Good price, reliable"

Cons: "Bounces more than a bigger car."

"Best car I ever owned. Still runs well at 95,000 miles and 12 yrs old. Only had the usual repairs due to age, plus normal maintenance. it never overheated and the starter and alternator didnt burn out like in other cars. Had to replace shocks and being a small car, it does bounce more than a big one would. But it can climb a hill without overheating and never overheats even in summer. The air conditioner blower did burn out but was fixed. Decent mileage and nice upholstery. Would have liked a little more interior room but it is fine. Could use a slightly higher body off the ground because the big rubber gasket flap at the bottom front of the hood tended to get scraped and peeled off when the car touched the ground when it bounced downward when turning or going down a slight depression in the road. Otherwise its a pretty good car and I would buy another Honda Civic for sure."

Some things good, some things bad

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Good engine and manual transmission"

Cons: "Front end components and airbag system short lived"

"My car is a manual, but I've read many bad things about Honda automatic transmissions for 2000's Civics. My car's engine and transmission haven't needed repairs and for this I'm grateful. However, my airbag system has failed for the second. By 42K miles my lower control arm bushings were shot and it cost me $2K+ to rebuild my front end in November 2011. I was hoping that this would last until my car was traded in or would go to the junkyard, but at 82K miles my lower control arm bushings are going shot again. I was told by three different repair shops that this is a common problem with 2000's Hondas. I don't want another car whose airbag system fails every four to five years. And I don't want to replace lower control arms every 35K miles, either."

Great car

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "Still has original battery"

Cons: "Heat and air slow to max"

"This is my second Civic."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "reliability, great gas mileage"

Cons: "road and wind noise can be very loud"

"I have had very few problems with my now 10 year-old car, all of which my dealer has fixed for little or no money (a driver-side door lock for example). Fantastic value for the price, and very reliable. I would recommend it to anyone (as a matter of fact, I always do!)."

I would not buy another Honda again.

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "great size"

Cons: "poor electrical, poor gas mileage, noisy"

"We bought this car brand new in 2001 and have had nothing but problems with it since the very beginning. At 23,000 miles the transmission went out on it. At 50,000 miles the front end electrical wiring got fried. After we paid 1,700 there was a recall and we did not get reimbursed. Power door locks have always been a problem with this car. We did all service and maintenance as recommended but always had problems. I have all records and receipts of all work done on the car. Has never been in any type of accident, yet we have had many problems with front end, brakes and electrical. I will definitely not be buying another honda again. The seat belts have also been replaced 6 six times at the dealership and still do not work properly. For a small car, I averaged about 21 to 23 miles per gallon. At 168,000 miles the car finally died. It needs a new engine, because it is leaking oil everywhere. For a honda, I don't feel that it lived up to its name at all."

Great car; had it for almost 10 years now.

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "great mileage; no major problems whatsoever"

Cons: "cannot fold down back seats for extra trunk space."

"Great car; had it for almost 10 years. Only required regular maintenance; nothing major ever wrong with it; fantastic mileage in town and out of town; only disadvantage cannot fold back seat down because of IMA battery pack behind the seats/in back of the trunk. Full size trunk."

Great commute car

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

"Have owned 4 hondas. great car I drove this one into the ground. As long as you keep up with oil changes and use synthetic oil, all is good."

Geat on gas, cheap on parts and fun to hook up!

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "looks nice, cheap on gas, reliable"

Cons: "not as fast,smooth as other cars,not comfortable"

"2004 Honda civic Lx 130,000 miles and still runs great, I customized the inside and outside to my style and liking,i made the inside pink and black with my name stiched in the back head rest,this was my first car. Love the body of this car.. Very cute and small, fits in almost any parking spot, which is great, Economy friendly a pluse!°•○●♡"

Not so Reliable

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Honda name"

Cons: "At highway speeds, It is a dangerous car"

"I have a 2001 Civix LX automatic since new. with 195K I heve repaired the transmission twice, the A/C compressor twice, the steering pump, the blower twice, 2 window regulators, a set of shock absorvers, new front rotors. I also have a 1999 Ford Escort SW with 178K and it has been a lot cheaper to maintain. So FORD Wins. The brakes are good for a parking lot but in the highway you feel you don't have any brakes. When you try to brake the car becomes inestable. It is very noisy."

For a small car, this Honda Civic has it all.

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Great price, economic, great pickup for small car"

Cons: "No tape deck."

"I bought this car off of the showroom floor. It is black with grey interior and it is like new. I have kept the oil changed and keep it clean and tuned up. I only drive 13 miles to work when I have to go in-house to work. The car has only been to the NC mountains 3 times since it was bought and to Myrtle Beach once. It has never been smoked in and I have no small children, so basically it has just been myself driving it. I purchased a new car and hate to part with this one, but no need to hold onto it and pay the extra tag and taxes and so forth. Looking for the right person to take care of it as I have."

Cost of ownership has been minimal

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "reliability, handling"

Cons: "rear seating sligtly cramped"

"Doing preventative maintenance is all this car requires. Excellent mileage, very solid car"

Good little car. Gas saver

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"No leaks, need some quieter tires, cause you can hear them alot on the freeway. Easy to maintain. I changed my own air filter, oil, trans oil no problem. It's got power when you step on it."

extrememly reliable!

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "AWESOME mpg and fun to drive"

Cons: "inside is small"

"AMAZING gas mileage! That was the whole reason we bought this vehicle but we were surprised to see how much we liked other qualities about this car. We have had it for 2.5 years and had to replace nothing. With routine oil changes and maintenance, this car has been a life saver for us! We average about 35 mpg and get better than that when we've gone on long trips. This inside is a little small. We have 2 small children and will definitely have to get a new vehicle when the next baby comes along. But for now, we are enjoying all the perks that come with this awesome car. We have no complaints"

Best small car we've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Easy to manuver, gas-saver, & good for long trips."

Cons: "Dip stick for tranny fluid is difficult to reach."

"We've owned this car for several years and have all receipts of all repairs. I have a personal mechanic, that I trust completely, and he's helped us maintain this car in good running condition. The reason we're looking to simply call it a total loss is due to fact that the transmission is bad. With what it will cost us to repair, we've decided to sell for junk and put that money towards a newer model Honda."

BEST ALL AROUND CAR EVER MADE.

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

"Overall - if you put a score on all the different (value, functional) characteristics of cars and added them up, I think this car would come out with the highest score of all time. Considering - adding up a value of: price (less than $15k), reliability, durability / longevity, trade-in value, maintenance costs, handling, basic comfort, noise level, acceleration, versatility, capacity (particularly for its class), mileage [overall - hwy, city, summer, winter ave: 42 mpg, Highway ave: 45, highest (4 times): 56 mpg, lowest ever (in winter city) 32 mpg]; NOT considering: aesthetics - appearance, creature comforts - gadgets, etc. --- BEST ALL AROUND CAR EVER MADE."

High content for low price

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "Great value."

Cons: "Prone to head gasket failure"

"Goods: So good I bought two! Materials very nice. Great gas mileage...40mpg on trips at 70-75mph. Back seat roomy once you get there. Looks sharp inside and out. Others: Prone to blow head gaskets. Had this happen twice."

See if you qualify for