2003 Honda Civic

Based on 1744 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Good reliable car

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pros: "Save gas, reliable, great for traveling"

Cons: "IMA replacement little expensive"

My 2003 car.

"I am 2nd owner. I would say it is worth it for reliable, for anyone who drive lot, to save gas, good for traveling, etc. Only one bad thing about it, IMA battery is little expensive to replace, otherwise I will recommanded this to anyone who drives 25 miles or more a day. It is not good to left parking for a week or longer, can drain IMA battery. So you will need to be able to drive it at least every 2 or 3 days for 25 or more miles to keep IMA charged. Also this way it will help car to run smoother. It is indeed wonderful car to own and very reliable if you need drive often, long distance, traveling, etc. I drive often myself out state, to distant cities. It never gave me any problems. I can go about 600 miles on single full gas tank. To me that is pretty good! That is from my personal experiences with owning this car."

My 2003 car.

nice to drive

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Pros: "seats are comfortable"

Cons: "small in size"

"it is a very good car"

Fun Zippy Little Car

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, zippy"

Cons: "mine is starting to rust"

"I own the Honda EX Special Edition. I adore this car; very fun to drive, reliable, great on gas! Although I have owned it for 5 1/2 years, I still love to drive it. It has a very responsive five speed manual transmission. The 6 CD multi disc stereo system is great. I drive 500 miles per week back & forth to work, mostly highway miles. I get great mileage, somewhere between 34-36 miles per gallon depending on driving conditions. At the advice of a co-worker I put snow tires on another set of rims for winter driving. It gets around great in our snowy Iowa winters. I have had no major repairs, just basic maintenance procedures. I use synthetic oil at the recommendation of the first owner. That's what he used since it's first oil change. My only complaint is that it is starting to show some rusting but that's partially my fault for not washing it enough. I finally bit the bullet & bought a smaller new AWD SUV because the Honda was getting so many miles on it. I love my Civic so much I could not bear to part with it so I didn't trade it in or sell it. I am continuing to drive the Honda about two days a week so I don't put so many miles on my new vehicle; well that and the fact that the Honda is much more fun to drive and gets better gas mileage. This is the first car I ever had that I liked so much I couldn't bear to get rid of it for something different after three years or so."

good car great mpg fun to drive

By on Friday, December 12, 2014

Pros: "mpg reliable maintenance free"

Cons: "snow driving not that great"

"I had always been a little tuned off by imports (believe in domestic cars) but i found myself in a bind and all i could afford was my civic. so i took it for a test drive and fell in love. it handles amazing. seems a tank of gas last forever. i am also a mechanic and on my old car (chevy malibu) i was always fixing something. since buying this car a year again i have only changed the oil. and ties. It can handle the abuse that i give it aswell as the elements. i drive it really hard. also when need the maintenance is very low cost. where i bought the car used i can feel the clutch starting to go so i have priced them and they are not very much at all(around 100 no flywheel and thats a performance clutch). and with the civic if you want to up grade there is option after option. the only complaint i have is that its not the greatest in snow. i live in utah and we get a good amount of snow and some of the hills around (including my driveway) i have a hard time getting up. now if you can afford to have summer and winter (i cant). tires im sure it would do just fine with snowtires. over all I LOVE MY CIVC"

My 7th Honda in 46 years, first two were cycles

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and trouble free, great gas miledge..."

Cons: "Didn't have a cd player and less mpg than the CRX"

2002 Honda and new replacement 2015 Honda

"I love this car, my 2nd best that I've owned...the best was my 85 CRX. I have 160,000 trouble free miles on it, only thing replaced has been oil, wipers, brakes and batteries. Still runs great though we use the 2007 Civic more now (I get the 'old Honda' and my wife drives the 8th new one and wheneven we drive together we take the newer one. In all the years I've owned Hondas, never had any problems except for the 1976 Civic (my first Honda car) that I needed to rebuild the head after 186,000 miles. That was the only mechanical problems in nearly a million miles total driving on all the Hondas...I did replace the CRX radiator when a Coyote put his head through it while driving home from the fire department (I'm a volunteer). The photo shows the 2002 Civic that I use and the brand new 2015 Honda (our 9th one) in the background...that's why I'm selling this 2002 and will be replacing it with the wife's 2007. Incidently, we always get white because we live in a desert, white cars are cooler, they get into fewer accidents because they are more visible, and because white paint lasts longer than anyother color."

2002 Honda and new replacement 2015 Honda

Love Honda but disppointed in my 1st Civic

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage and roomy interior for small car"

"inside door handles are not actual metal but covered in silver metal tape that cut my passengers finger. This is my first Civic I have ever owned, previously I owned Honda Acura and four Honda Accords. My civic is dark blue and it began oxidizing when it was 5 years old. The whole roof and hood look terrible. The fact that I live in Arizona is unacceptable excuse. I do keep it garaged. It is immaculate inside and no dings or dents on the body. But the lousy paint job loses some of my value."

Trannies + batteries go at 150k miles

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG -- 44 summer, 34 winter. Comfortable."

Cons: "Becomes unsaleable at 150k miles"

"Bought the car in 2010, when it was 7 years old. At 8 1/2 yrs it developed a delay in the start clutch. At 9 years the "Check Engine" light and the IMA battery light were on all the time, codes saying I needed a new battery. The battery shows it charging fine, but it seems it may go at any time, and they are in the range of $2,300. Now, in 2014, (11 years), the start clutch has started to shudder somewhat. Two mechanics have told me the transmissions on these hybrids go at around 150k miles, and this car has 155, so I am going to sell it for parts. Too bad. It was a very good car with few problems otherwise."

very reliable

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"Very reliable."

very good, realiable car, will give to my nephew

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "good value, reliable, easy on gas"

"This has been one of the most reliable car, low maintenance and easy on gas. Very good value for the money."

Good Utility Car

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "Good point A to point B car"

Cons: "Noisy interior, More repairs than expected"

"I've owned 2 Honda Civics (1986 & 2001). In general, they both performed well. However I have yet to reach the the coveted 200k milage without major issues. My 1986 Civic had a blown head gasket at 150k which I repaired. It ran until it reached 205k when my timing belt broke wiping-out the engine. Both Civics were very well maintained following all service intervals. My 2001 Civic had it's air compressor go out (an expensive repair) at ~180k mi. Then at 194k mi, it developed a head gasket leak. No current or prior engine overheating issues. Cost quoted to repair the 2001 Civic head gasket was $1,800 to $2000... at a 3rd party shop specializing in Honda's (less than dealer). So basically, the car is not worth repairing. When I asked my mechanic about Civic issues they commonly see, I was told the head gasket was a very common failure on 2001 through 2006 Civics. That said, would I buy another Civic... maybe, but I'm also considering other models/manufacturer's."

Aways reliable; would purchase another

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Cons: "the VP model didn't come with cruise control"

"Fantastic value; never had any problems with the car"

Trusted it until the transmission failed.

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Good Value, Good mileage, Hardly any problems"

Cons: "Transmission failed. :o("

"2001 Honda Civic. 159000 miles. Transmission now slipping. Visor's and head liner fabric did not withstand Florida sun."

Best car ever

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "reliable, good looking, safe, good on gas, quality"

"I love this car. It's great and gets great gas mileage and is very reliable. I am going to buy another Civic as my next car. Honda for life!"

Very dependable car!

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "great price, dependable car"

"My daughter bought this car used and drove it for 2yrs before passing it on to me 4 years ago. This is a basic model but still comfortable for long (10 hr) and short drives. Very dependable car and good in snow (I live in Northeast Ohio snowbelt) Body hasn't started rusting. AC and heat work great. Great gas mileage. I highly recommend this car."

Very disappointed with my purchase

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "great on gas"

Cons: "something is wrong on how it runs"

"I just bought this car about 6 months ago for over $5000, I feel so stupid knowing what its worth. I have never bought a used car without doing my homework, but I was tired of taking the bus and all the walking I was doing (about 20 miles/day). Now I'm stuck with the car and the note and was just wondering what I should do"

one of the most reliable cars i have owned.

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "love driving it and econoical to own"

Cons: "cost of power battery. # of miles i drive"

"the power drive batteries were replaced at 118,500 miles, the only problem I have had with it"

my wife's car

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "not good for long trips"

"my wife has had her little Civic for 3 years now and it has been the most reliable car ever for her. She loves it and wants to keep it forever and most likely it WILL last forever!"

Decent car for the money.

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel economy, roomy for a tiny car."

Cons: "Small, cant fit car seats in rear seat."

"The A/C went out at 147,000 like so many of the other Civics of that year did, the rear struts went out and made 2 new rear tires go bad after 5000 miles of wear but all in all the car is put together well. I get around 39.3 miles per gallon average and no problems with the hybrid battery set up. Knock on wood. The car is fun to drive and doesn't feel like a "Hybrid". Handles well and is pretty peppy for only a 1.3 liter engine. Anyone looking to buy one of these early hybrid Civics be prepared to have an A/C compressor installed along with struts. Have the battery pack inspected before purchase."

reliable great small car even in snow

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "reliable, drives beautifully, love the 5 speed"

Cons: "noisey"

"I given this car tough driving with gravel roads, forest roads, toule ski rack - and it performs! I used snow tires December to May which were noisy but took me anywhere a 4 wheel drive pickup could go (except for snow over 7" deep). I love the split back seat for loading skis through trunk. My only complaint is it was noisy as it aged. This may have been partly that we loaded a canoe on the roof with straps through the car. It is a noisy car, but then it's a civic not a LR..."

Pretty much trouble free auto

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Easy to maintain and reliable"

"Keep my 2005 Civic LX maintained with the dealer and no major problems till 9 y/o then expensive repairs for steering wheel pump and suspension bushings. This car drives in stop and go in-town traffic, horrible pot-hole ridden roads, sweltering heat and humidity in Honolulu and has survived very well. It has been the best economy car I have owned and has met my expectations."

better than average

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pros: "comfortable and enjoyed driving"

Cons: "larger glove box and more cup holders"

"power assist battery pack replaced at 118500 with 146000 now. the only problem I have had with this car. average 35mpg in mountain driving."

The best car I ever owned

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pros: "Best car I ever owned"

Cons: "No cons"

"There's nothing wrong with this car. It's not fancy, or sexy, or pretty, but it just does what it is supposed to do, day after day. I drove it through the worst of Hurricanes Katrina and Gustav, and it never flinched. Neither rain nor sleet nor flood nor howling winds can stop this car. It took me five years to realize that this ordinary-looking Civic was the best car I have ever owned. And it's not even close."

Fun and reliable car

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "price, fun, safety, reliable, good pick up"

Cons: "had to have car painted after 7 years"

"This car has served me well and has given me little expense over the years in repairs. Very reliable, good mpg, especially on highway. I have a manual trans., so fun to drive."

reliable 37 mpg

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "reliable good mleage good leg and head room"

Cons: "non"

"My Honda Civic has never needed repairs. It routinely gets 37 mpg. Perfect car."

best ecomony dependable car

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Cons: "I HAVE TO TRAVEL LONG DISTANCES AND AT 206000.."

"this is a great car for running around town and making short runs, gas milage wonderul, always ready to go and maintenace is not $$$$ costly"