2000 Honda Civic

Based on 1171 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

In a word....Awsome

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas milage"

Cons: "In one mans opinion...none"

"Fun to drive. Requires low maintenance as Honda parts seem to last forever. When parts do have to be replaced they are readily available and inexpensive. The 1.6 VTEC engine has good pick up and power. And to top it all off I have been getting 32 mpg on average."

Great car my green 98 civic lx before the hybrid's

By on Thursday, April 28, 2011

"My 98 honda civic lx 5speed 4door is the best. I purchased it new it now has 197k on it. I have taken several long trips filled 11.8 gallon tank and gotten over 520 miles at 74mph. I do my own brakes and oil changes. Replaced gas tank for $25 from junkyard and new exhast replaced for $200 this year, other than I put nothing into it besides tires a/c still blows cold. I also own a 05 with 50k I like the 98 better, wife owns an 08. If you can find one in good shape for a few grand GET ONE!! you cant beat them in gas milage, reliability and cool factor . go for a manual transmission little more pep. This civic has payed for itself a long time ago,"

Best Car EVER

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I owned this car for 12 yr and 186,000 miles and now enjoy it at 215,000 miles in my daughter's hands (when she lets me drive it). Did all routine maintenance & replaced O2 sensor - that's IT. It's the easiest car to drive and still has original clutch after teaching two youngsters to drive. Everything is in the right place and works like it's supposed to. After all this time, have found none better. Only complaint? Could've used a sunroof and cruise control. Can you say, "42 mpg driving like a demon?" Fun fun fun to drive!"

Sentimental Car

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"Parents bought this car for me back in late 97. I paid it off and it is now 2010 and I still drive the beast. The Vtec engine still runs like it did back in 97... This car went through it all. I maintained it in/out well.Got broken into 3 times, went through 5 serious relationships, 2 islands, 1 paint job, 7 jobs, 1 timing belt. It never broke down on me once! Or have I done any serious mechanical work on it besides returning the irritating fat muffler to a stock muffler. I'm selling the car and its hard to let it go because of all the memories I had in it, but I gotta let someone else drive it another 125k miles and move on to a newer car or truck. Honda made this engine last and I will only buy honda cars because of their reliability and excellence in detail and performance. The engine is practically bulletproof. Good job Honda! Don't be worried about buying these hondas after 100k miles..as long as it has been maintained well you'll be ok."

Very reliable and durable

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I bought this vehicle at 100k and have already clocked 166k miles. Still going good. No major services except the timing belt at 100k. Only service I have done is oil changes and regular checkups. Awesome reliable car!"

The Best Car for the Money !

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"The Honda Civic is the best car for the money. I have a 1998 Honda Civic with over 150,000 trouble free miles and plan to add more. I purchased the car new and have perfromed only scheduled mainteneance and replaced parts that normally wear out and need replacing, breaks, timing belts etc. Spend your money wisely!"

Bang for the buck

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I have owned my 99 Honda Civic Si for around a year and love it. The 1.6L DOHC 4 cylinder engine is very impressive. I have done a few small modifications to the engine and suspension and i can keep up with just about every v6. I drive the car hard and I still get around 27mpg. It is very reliable and I have never had a problem with it. The inside is very plain but still solid. I love driving the car and it never gets old. It is fun to walk away from new v6 mustangs and know that they paid alot more. A must drive in my book!!!"

Run it till YOU die, lol.

By on Monday, November 03, 2008

"I LOVE my honda, it is probably on of the best decisions i have ever made as far as purchases go. Its reliable, even in the Minnesota winters, its peppy enough in traffic, its efficient, it wasnt too expensive, the engine and tranny are extremely durable, the seats provide plenty of comfort and space from my 6 foot 4 inch frame, and after having it for 10,000 miles the resale value hasnt dropped more then about 100 bucks. There are only a few things i would change about this car. First i would have the seat adjustment replaced from preset increments to a twist dial like most newer cars. Second i wouldnt have put the keyless and dome light throught the stock stereo. Third, i may have been inclined to put a better a/c unit in the design, the stock one basically feels like a fan with an ice cube in front of it. For a reliable commuter, a first car, or just a fun cheaper little car for banging around, a Honda civic is perfect. It will be running clean off into the sunset long after you are dead and buried, lol."

Best car i've ever had

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Got this car brand new in 1997 for $11,000. Maintained it regularly over the past 11 years. Mine is a manual, so I get around 36 mph hwy driving and 30 - 32 in the city. Only major problems during the time i've owned it is an oxygen sensor and broken CV joint boots, which really needs to be replaced anyway after 11 years. It's still worth around $4,000, so it's held it's value pretty well over the years."

Terrific car

By on Friday, June 06, 2008

"Great car. Bought used at 50K miles in 1999, have put 120K on it with no major problems. Well maintained, it has never given out on me. No breakdowns, ever. Could probably sell it for half what I bought it for eight years ago, but with gas prices the way they are, I feel I've still got a bargain car."

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"This car is very reliable and nearly maintenance free. A sensor went out on this car and cost $600.00 for replacement and labor but ot than that, it has been relatively inexpensive to maintain and repair. I am the original owner and this is my 4th Honda that I have owned."

Best car I've owned

By on Saturday, March 15, 2008

"I have a '99. It has 120,000 miles. The only maintenance I've needed is oil changes. Very cheap to operate and cute! Great gas mileage. A little slow to accelerate but hey - it's a 4-cylinder. Very trustworthy & reliable. Holds its value."

exactly what I want

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Great car. Good gas - 35-38 mpg, handles fine, never left me on the side of the road. I've moved apartments with it twice. I always service it promptly (oil every 7k miles). Runs great, I intend to drive another 6-10 years. Downsides: not easy to get in and out if you are tall or overweight. Getting large objects in and out of trunk is tough, opening is small. Small engine leads to not much acceleration and slow going up steep high mountains."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I purchased this car new in 1998. That means that I've had it for 10 years. It's got 213,000 miles on it now. It has been an excellent car. When I purchased it new, it got 35.5 m.p.g. It still gets that today. It's really fun to drive and very comfortable."

Best first purchase!

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"After graduating college almost 9 years ago, the Honda Civic EX Coupe was my very first car purchase. I love this car, and it is the most reliable car ever. I am still driving it, and it is now 8 years old. I had it repaired once, for a minor pipe leak due to an animal biting through some wire. But other than that, it has been a great car. It's only 4 cylinder, so it's great on gas. It's comfortable and fun to drive around town. For my first car, as a new college grad, it really served me nicely. And knock on wood, it's still going, which is one nice thing about Hondas, they last for a long time."

$ave on Ga$

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"I have never driven a 4 cylinder car before, but I have absolutely no regret about driving this one. I've owned 5 cars in the past 5 years all V6 or I6 engines. This car can still get up a move even with an Auto which quickly downshifts. I got the 99EX. It feels like a go cart to me. The mileage is great even when dogging it through town and high speeds for long distance. At 175k on the ODO I feel like the car has just become broke in. First non-domestic car I owned as well and it has made me rethink about american cars greatly. Honda has opened new doors for me. Don't expect the car to be race material or eye candy but when your gas bills are cut in half in this time of fuel insanity you will be quite satisfied with your purchase."

Good buy

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I bought this Civic from a mechanic shop who had repaired it after an accident. The car has run very well, with only minor problems: driver door mechanism had to be fixed, and a minor exhaust leak had to be fixed. Anybody that has owned other vehicles with over 130,000 miles knows that this is remarkable. I liked the ride, and the manual transmission is very smooth IMO. Only negatives was the interior design placed the cup holder in front of the tape player, and the driver door had to be locked from the outside manually. Positives: between 28-34 mpg overall. Handled snow admirably for a small car. Very good acceleration for a 4cyl with high fuel economy."

Excellent Value

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"I bought my Civic EX Coupe new 9 years ago and have since driven it for 172000 miles. It's been through all kinds of driving, including a few snowstorms. It will cruise at 90 mph with no complaints, and it still gets 33 mpg while doing it. The most amazing thing? I haven't made a single repair! The only time it has spent in a shop was to get the timing belt replaced at 100k and the clutch replaced at 150k (although it wasn't worn out yet). Truly amazing car all the way around."

Reliable/ Dependable

By on Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Honda has kept it simple focusing on the details. No surprises, this car has a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder. Very responsive on acceleration, while getting impressive fuel mileage. It is fun to drive on short trips, perfect for everyday city driving. It is a pricey car, but worth it on quality and resale."

305k and runnin!

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"I bought this car for $350 from a friend after I was in a car accident...It had 250k on it! I've driven it for almost 2 years now and it's crossing over to 306k this week! HONDAS FOREVER!"

Wow..best made car worldwide

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"We were in need of a car as a retired couple. I had owned Lincoln's, 58 Thunderbird, 49 Olds Rocket, etc. I am a car freak, even now. This Honda Civic showed up in Ebay as a Salvage title $3G's under book and no one wanted it. I flew to Florida, found the car to be s theft recovery with no scratches on it at 16,000 miles. We bought it and took a 6000 mile trip home. It is now at 76,000 miles with nothing but an air conditioner compressor replacement. It is a bullet proof little pony and it eats very little hay..29/34 mpg. I set the cruise at 81 on the Utah freeways and get no tickets cause it dosen't call attention to it's self. I want to keep it in the family even though I may buy another "hot rod" cause it is always there for us. Buy One...."

i loved this car

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"going thru highschool and then college and watching all my friends drop money they didnt have on fixing this and that was ridiculos. i had the car for 7 years and aside from the normal matnence tires oil changes air filters and tune up i only spent 300 dollars on repairs in the 7 years and that was to replace the muffler system aside from that there was nothing and even being up in miles now 169000 i still have no problems and that says alot"

Couldn't Get Any Better for Value

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Bought this used with 40K miles on it 6 yrs ago. It's now at 125,000 and still ticking. Zero major problems and since we're regular with maintenance, we don't expect any to come up. It drives like quality and its look is still quite "handsomely classic" at 10 yrs old. My husband feels somewhat cramped in it (he's used to his spacious truck), but it's perfect for me. Doesn't perform miracles in the fuel efficiency dept (about 30mpg on avg??), but I guess that's why we have to start pushing for more widespread hybrid technology (next car???). Overall, not a purchase you'd ever regret."

CVT Warning

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"After 70,000 highway miles, the CV Transmission needed to be replaced. I was fortunate enough to buy an extended warranty to cover the dealer charge of $3,000+ to replace (with a new one, not a refurbished). Drove it another 10,000 miles and gave it to my mother. It now has around 100,000 miles and the CV transmission needs to be replaced again! BE AWARE, NO CVT!"

Economical and Fun

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"With a manual this little and light car is fun to drive, has pretty nice handling, sips gas, barely wears any mechanical components, is super reliable, barely depreciates, and with the hatch configuration it has a huge trunk, more usable than a much larger same generation bmw 3 series (my other car). All in all a great car to own. The only downside is that it's getting old and makes you wonder what would happen if that 5000lbs SUV hit you dead on..."