2000 Honda Civic

Based on 1175 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"this is my only vehicle. i am in construction, requiring me to drive on average 1 hour to work. sometimes for a few weeks its closer to 2 hours each way. i bought this car in december, and it has lasted with no problems. it has rust on the engine and muffler, probably from being near the ocean in a past life. or the owner lived near snow and did not wash the salt off in the winter."

the perfect first car

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, and safe."

Cons: "I'd like a little more power but cant complain"

"i received a 96 honda civic ex for my 15th birthday and i absolutely adore it. its the best car for the value, its reliable, quick, and it looks pretty stylish for an 18 year old car."

uber reliable & fun with a golden engine & tranny

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "great mpg, fun, reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "some road noise, highway power"

"This is my daily commuter car - 75 miles per day - super reliabile with a sweet Honda engine & 5 speed tranny, 38 - 45 mgp. Not much torque but very tossable & mucho fun to drive with good road feel. Zippy under 50 mph if you keep the rpms up. Cheap to keep on the road. Good in snow & amazing interior room. Not much sound insulation so you get some road & tire noise. Easy to park due to its size but I wouldn't want to head-on a pickup in something so light (2450 lbs). Stable on highway. Not sure how Honda got so much right. Shame they don't make these anymore. Great econocar."

Thirteen Years Old and Original Owner

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

"I owned 2 cars previous to this one and I am satisfied with Honda cars. Sure, I have the oil changes, tire rotations, battery changes, windshield wiper changes, etc. Since I live in a four-season state, snow contributed to rough conditions resulting in fender benders, but not major. Still a strong car that runs smoothe, and its dependable. Hondas are unfortunately big targets for stolen cars and mine fell prey to it. Got it back but with costly enterior damages. I'm making my trips to the Honda Dealer to have it repaired. Honda takes care of their customers, so I know they are taking care of my car. Always satisfied with my car as it runs well as usual."

best car I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "everything, especialy handling."

Cons: "adequate power, but no speedster."

"The car that is too tough to die. You can't kill this car. The engine is a baby at 151000 miles. Comfortable with a moon roof. My first impression was that I was riding in a little BMW, not a Honda. Superior handling saved me from some close calls on highways. The new ones don't have as much room for me, since I am 6'5". This is a 250,000 mile car. If you can get one, change the timing belt right off, and your good for 100,000 miles!"

Great Car even at 260,000 miles

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Long lasting - low maintenance vehicle. Fun."

Cons: "no ashtray"

"I bought this car with 192 k on it. Aside from routine repairs, I have had no problems. The roads in Michigan finally made the front wheel fall off this summer. (I fixed the front end) But a blown head gasket is making me sell it, (pretty expensive repair for me) Already have someone to buy it though, even with the high mileage. It still gets 34 mpg, and starts right up. I loved this car."

Best deal I ever got period

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Good mpg, cheap parts"

Cons: "squirrelly on the highway in rain or wind"

"A friend of the family sold me this car in 2007 for $1000. It still runs great with over 300K on it. It is very beat up and starting to fall apart but that is my fault. I could not afford to properly maintain it. It never let me down though and the gas mileage is great! It was a little scary to drive on the highway and it would slide around in wind and rain (I guess it was just lightweight) but I never crashed it and it was always fine at speeds under 60."

This is very durable car and great on gas

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Good on Gas, fun to drive"

Cons: "interior its not like in BMW"

"This car is great on gas and its very durable the motor is unbelievable will never brake. I had these cars for long time and everyone knows that their value is a lot more than what they put on KBB."

I absolutely LOVE my Honda Civic!

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "The gas guage moves alot when driving."

"My dad recently bought my 2000 Honda Civic Ex Coupe back at the end of November for my birthday. I'm happy to say that I love my car, and I would never trade it. It has amazing reliability and gas mileage($20 to fill up). I wish I could keep it for college, but sadly I have to get something bigger.Bring on the next Honda, 2002 Honda Accord :)"

Super reliable and great gas mileage

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Super reliable and great mileage"

Cons: "Forgettable exterior style"

"I also bought my car new, 14 years ago. It has been largely trouble-free. Early on, they did issue a recall on the CVT transmission and replaced it but no problems with it either way. Despite the already pretty good EPA mileage rating, I routinely get 38 mpg and once when visiting family out of state and driving entirely on highways, I got 42 mpg. That's approaching what you get with a hybrid vehicle, for gosh sakes. Style-wise, it always struck me as a stodgy looking car and I very nearly went for a sporty looking Ford Fiesta recently until I came to my senses. I'm going with a 2013 HF Civic, which is the successor to the HX. The HF now gets 41 mpg. Only a few small gripes...I'm a 5'4" woman, the average height for American women. Yet when I pull the car seat up so my feet reach the pedals, I can't use the arm rest becus it's too far back. This should be fixed. Also, again an issue of proportions and height, the seat belt routinely wraps too high across my chest and sometimes feels like it's a little too close to my neck for comfort. I don't like the wheels on this car which are exposed to snow and rain. The rest of the car is so bland looking, why bother putting fancy wheels on it? It rusts out the drums and I had to replace one that was totally rusted out. The others aren't far behind."

Definitely a great vehicle!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, great gas mileage, trunk space"

"I've had my '99 Honda Civic LX for almost 6 years now. It's always been very reliable and comfortable. I'm sad to get rid of it soon but it's about to hit 175,000 miles and has developed a few problems that will cost more to fix than the car is actually worth now. This car has taken me on several road trips where it has always had excellent gas mileage. I've always felt safe in this car and would definitely recommend it to anyone (though you may want to upgrade to a newer model as it's 14 years old now)."

ADORED THIS CAR!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"I've owned this car for a year and was just in an accident and the other ladies Cadillac killed it. Can't find another for sale in my are and I'm very sad. This was a wonderful car. Great gas milage, realiable, compact but plenty of room inside, adorable car. I will miss it greatly."

Best Car ive ever owned

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat"

"I dont know if anyone else gets the gas mileage as i do, but since day one ive been getting 40 mpg which is amazing, the car is very fun to drive, its very reliable and its pretty quick for being a 1.6 liter. ive owned many different variety of cars in the past 8 years and this one has been the most reliable. im going to drive this car until the odometer turns over"

Excellent vehicle! Reliable and fun to drive.

By on Saturday, December 15, 2012

"I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si. It has 144,028 miles and it still drives strong. I've taken many road trip with this and it's never failed me. I've made a list below of my personal pros and cons. Pros: Fun to drive Reliable Sporty appearance ( Si model ) 4 wheel disk brakes DOHC VTEC engine Smooth shifting transmission Very easy to work on ( mechanic ) Replacement parts are easy to find and relatively cheap. Solid built car Cons: Seating 5 people is not comfortable at all ( Si coupe ) Cup holders do not hold drinks tight, has a tendency to spill. Interior styling is plain, not exciting at all. Other than the badge and wheel nothing else is different between EX and Si ( other than engine)"

My first car- 12 years old and still going strong!

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance, great mileage"

Cons: "Has been broken into a couple of times"

"I bought my 2000 Honda Civic DX coupe in 2005 from it's original owner. It only had 50,000 miles on it and was the perfect little car. Since I bought it the car has been in 2 major accidents and is still running excellent. I've always been good on maintenance and taking care of this little gem. I recently drove my car from Seattle to Phoenix with no problems whatsoever. It has always been a very reliable car, and I know that my next car will be a Honda because this one has treated me so well. The only thing I wish my car had was cruise control, power windows and locks. I bought the DX which is just the bare basics. Next time I'm buying all the bells and whistles."

13 years and still going....what more could I say?

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Honda Civic is the way to go!"

Cons: "Honda Civic saves you $$$"

"My 1999 Civic Si has over 180,000 miles and still running strong. Just make sure you maintence the car regularly and this car could last 15-30 years. That's why it's a Honda!"

Most reliable car ever

By on Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, very dependable car"

Cons: "small car, low to the ground"

"This car has never left me on the side of the road, it still runs like a champ. Can't beat the honda reliabilty."

Still running strong!

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great MPG, handling, acceleration...."

Cons: "better cup holders?...that is all"

"Great reliable car, will be keeping it for a long time! This particular year was a very good year for civics..."

Fantastic

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, handling, durability, dependablity,"

Cons: "bad cup holders, ok comfort"

"Quick, great gas mileage, handles better than most new cars. Excellent engine, transmission. I beat on the car pretty good still goes, still handles well. Excellent car to have!"

Reliable, Fun, Economical!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "keeps value, fun, good mpgs, reliable as heck"

Cons: "low (can be hard to crawl into) not much else"

"Absolutely love this car. It has replaced my 1982 Civic which ran for 28 years with no engine re-build, travelling from the west to east coasts several times. I was so impressed with the longevity and fuel economy with the last Civic (total cost for gas/maintenance was $500 over three years) that I purchased the 98 Civic DX coupe. It has not disappointed. I've owned it for two years and it always runs smooth, has needed absolutely no maintenance (I change the oil twice a year) and doesn't use any oil. It handles nicely for its class - low and fun to drive. The 4-cylinder is ample and mpg is approximately 30 in the city and 40-45 on the highway. If you don't care about mpg it's not too hard to add some turbo... All around it is an excellent car and I have a hard time finding fault with it. My only complaint would be that the clutch is buried deep under the dash, and the cupholders could be in a better place. If you're elderly and don't relish crawling into a car that's approximately 6 inches off the road you may be met with a challenge. However, if you're looking for a car that will hold its value, get good mpgs, handles well and never needs maintenance, this is a great vehicle to consider."

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "30ish mpg"

Cons: "for little people 5'10 and smaller"

"over 11 years the basics have gone bad....starter, battery, ac, actually, that is about it. Great car...going bigger...pilot?"

In a word....Awsome

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas milage"

Cons: "In one mans opinion...none"

"Fun to drive. Requires low maintenance as Honda parts seem to last forever. When parts do have to be replaced they are readily available and inexpensive. The 1.6 VTEC engine has good pick up and power. And to top it all off I have been getting 32 mpg on average."

Great car my green 98 civic lx before the hybrid's

By on Thursday, April 28, 2011

"My 98 honda civic lx 5speed 4door is the best. I purchased it new it now has 197k on it. I have taken several long trips filled 11.8 gallon tank and gotten over 520 miles at 74mph. I do my own brakes and oil changes. Replaced gas tank for $25 from junkyard and new exhast replaced for $200 this year, other than I put nothing into it besides tires a/c still blows cold. I also own a 05 with 50k I like the 98 better, wife owns an 08. If you can find one in good shape for a few grand GET ONE!! you cant beat them in gas milage, reliability and cool factor . go for a manual transmission little more pep. This civic has payed for itself a long time ago,"

Best Car EVER

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I owned this car for 12 yr and 186,000 miles and now enjoy it at 215,000 miles in my daughter's hands (when she lets me drive it). Did all routine maintenance & replaced O2 sensor - that's IT. It's the easiest car to drive and still has original clutch after teaching two youngsters to drive. Everything is in the right place and works like it's supposed to. After all this time, have found none better. Only complaint? Could've used a sunroof and cruise control. Can you say, "42 mpg driving like a demon?" Fun fun fun to drive!"

Sentimental Car

By on Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Parents bought this car for me back in late 97. I paid it off and it is now 2010 and I still drive the beast. The Vtec engine still runs like it did back in 97... This car went through it all. I maintained it in/out well.Got broken into 3 times, went through 5 serious relationships, 2 islands, 1 paint job, 7 jobs, 1 timing belt. It never broke down on me once! Or have I done any serious mechanical work on it besides returning the irritating fat muffler to a stock muffler. I'm selling the car and its hard to let it go because of all the memories I had in it, but I gotta let someone else drive it another 125k miles and move on to a newer car or truck. Honda made this engine last and I will only buy honda cars because of their reliability and excellence in detail and performance. The engine is practically bulletproof. Good job Honda! Don't be worried about buying these hondas after 100k miles..as long as it has been maintained well you'll be ok."