1999 Honda Civic

Based on 1175 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Best car I ever owned

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

"I love this car for its fuel efficiency and reliability. After a quarter of a million miles, it still gets 39-40mpg highway and 34-36mph around town. It has had virtually no issues at all except regular maintenance. My previous car was a Honda Civic, and my next car will be a Honda Civic."

slightly dissapointed

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I purchased my SI in 2003 with 36000 miles on it. This car has been driven gently and well cared for inside and out. The first 40,000 miles driven were maintenance free but i have put a lot of money on it since then. Replaced the factory ECU $1300, clutch $900, 02 sensor $300, and muffler two times $250+. Compared to a chevy or ford i guess i could call my SI reliable but after researching it for months and eventually making the purchase in 2003 i did not anticipate one thing. Everytime i have had work done on this car its an average of 35% more expensive than a regular civic(ive had many callbacks on wrong estimates). From the tires being special to the clutch to the timing belt all of it was much higher in price than a comparable 2000 civic. I have never neglected maintaining this vehicle, synthetic oil change every 3000 miles and preventitive maintenance list 4 pages long. All this at 100,000 and the car seems to keep having problems. I will try another car brand for my next vehicle."

Most reliable car ever!

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"I am the second owner of my 1997 Honda Civic EX. When i bought the car, it had about 55K miles on it and now it has 216,100 miles on it. Just did the usual tune up, oil change and tire rotations and this car would keep on going. Honda should call the Civic the "energy bunny"! because the civic keeps on going and going and going.... But I love this car... I don't have to do a lot of things to it and it would live forever, I swear! I don't have to buy a new transmission or engine like domestic cars, such as the ford escort or the dodge neon or the chevrolet cavalier. I would always stick to imports now!"

Dependable, zippy, age 12 (I'll gladly keep it!)

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I bought my 96 DX hatchback new (after a series of unreliable used cars) at age 30 when I needed reliable transportation for me and my bicycle. I never dreamed that I’d still be driving it 12 years later. It’s super dependable, and it always starts immediately – despite living in cold MN winters and never having had a garage. Mine is a 5 speed and it’s a zippy little car that’s fun to drive. Like others, I’ve had unsolicited offers to purchase my Civic. The turn signal canceller died this winter (I had it fixed), the manual window handles move stiffly when temps fall below 0, I wish I’d sprung for power steering, and I’ve replaced portions of the exhaust system 2-3 times (again, it sleeps outside, and my commute is less than 5 miles, resulting it quick refreezing) – but after all these years I consider this stuff to be minor and find it an amazingly cheap car to own. It still gets ~28 mpg in city winter driving and regularly get 40+ mpg on freeways in the summer. I’m also glad to see more small cars on the road these days! Ever year I consciously decide to keep it for awhile longer; I suspect we’ll replace our 2002 Subaru (even though I like it too) and keep the Civic. I couldn’t have asked for better!"

1996 HONDA CIVIC

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We purchased this car new in Feb. 1996 . The car still runs & drives great ! The things we replaced the most on it were the tires & exhaust ! Things we had to replace at 245,000 brake lines ,cv shafts ( both sides ) & believe it or not the rear brakes had just over 245,00 miles on them & the cv shafts had over 245,000 miles on them ( They were ORIGINAL ! ! ! ! The best thing I can tell you is to change your oil every 3000 miles & do the timing belt ,water pump & your tune ups !! This is my dads car & he is 62 & still drives it 60-100 miles a day .He gets in it and drives to Long Island & Maine , (he said the mileage does not scare him & he is getting 38 -41 mpg on the highway ! ! !"

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"this is my only vehicle. i am in construction, requiring me to drive on average 1 hour to work. sometimes for a few weeks its closer to 2 hours each way. i bought this car in december, and it has lasted with no problems. it has rust on the engine and muffler, probably from being near the ocean in a past life. or the owner lived near snow and did not wash the salt off in the winter."

the perfect first car

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, and safe."

Cons: "I'd like a little more power but cant complain"

"i received a 96 honda civic ex for my 15th birthday and i absolutely adore it. its the best car for the value, its reliable, quick, and it looks pretty stylish for an 18 year old car."

uber reliable & fun with a golden engine & tranny

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "great mpg, fun, reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "some road noise, highway power"

"This is my daily commuter car - 75 miles per day - super reliabile with a sweet Honda engine & 5 speed tranny, 38 - 45 mgp. Not much torque but very tossable & mucho fun to drive with good road feel. Zippy under 50 mph if you keep the rpms up. Cheap to keep on the road. Good in snow & amazing interior room. Not much sound insulation so you get some road & tire noise. Easy to park due to its size but I wouldn't want to head-on a pickup in something so light (2450 lbs). Stable on highway. Not sure how Honda got so much right. Shame they don't make these anymore. Great econocar."

Thirteen Years Old and Original Owner

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

"I owned 2 cars previous to this one and I am satisfied with Honda cars. Sure, I have the oil changes, tire rotations, battery changes, windshield wiper changes, etc. Since I live in a four-season state, snow contributed to rough conditions resulting in fender benders, but not major. Still a strong car that runs smoothe, and its dependable. Hondas are unfortunately big targets for stolen cars and mine fell prey to it. Got it back but with costly enterior damages. I'm making my trips to the Honda Dealer to have it repaired. Honda takes care of their customers, so I know they are taking care of my car. Always satisfied with my car as it runs well as usual."

best car I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "everything, especialy handling."

Cons: "adequate power, but no speedster."

"The car that is too tough to die. You can't kill this car. The engine is a baby at 151000 miles. Comfortable with a moon roof. My first impression was that I was riding in a little BMW, not a Honda. Superior handling saved me from some close calls on highways. The new ones don't have as much room for me, since I am 6'5". This is a 250,000 mile car. If you can get one, change the timing belt right off, and your good for 100,000 miles!"