1999 Honda Civic

Based on 1110 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Best Civic Si Ever Made!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Drivability and handling"

"I purchased my 1999 Honda Civic Si new off the dealer lot. It has been an extremely fun car to drive since day one! With 230,500 miles now on the odometer it is still a great daily driver and weekend get away car. Yes, it is starting to show its age, but for a 15 year old car there is still no rust and the engine still has plenty of get up and go. I have put this car through its paces from lots of highway miles driving between race tracks in the summer months to loading it up with kayak and bike racks for camping trips, this car has done it all with no complaints. Maintenance is done a regular basis and there have been NO unexpected surprises in the mechanical areas. I am about to pass this car down to my daughter for the off to college car and she loves it already."

LOVE my car

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Love everything about her."

"I love my car! She is great!"

Great 16 Year Run

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reason: Needed larger car

Pros: "reliable, comfortable and inexpensive to run"

Cons: "Poor acceleration"

"I finally sold my 98 Civic EX Sedan after 16 years of faithful service, and miss it. It was a great car - good ergonomics, reliable and good mileage. At 140,000 miles with daily short commutes, the car rarely had time to fully heat up. Yet, the car kept going. My new car is a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid. I hope this car runs as well as the 1998 Civic and the 1982 Accord so I can keep it for 16 years too."

Great Little Car! Got my money's worth!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, economical, always ran well, sporty"

Cons: "small, low to ground, hard to get into back seat"

"At 15 years old, my little civic drives better and is more fun than my mother's brand new Chevy Cruze. Have had it in really only for routine maintenance over the years. It's currently at 240,000 miles and it seems as if it could easily keep on a keeping for another 100,000! Great Value!! Its only downfalls are that it is 1) very low to the ground...I've gotten stuck more than a time or two in snow covered Michigan roads and driveways. Also, it is quite small on the inside. Doesn't bother me personally, but my passengers have difficulty getting in and out and when we go out as a group,someone else usually offers to drive because of it."

Great car!

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "Some road noise"

"I bought this car new (5-speed manual), over 15 years ago, and it has been extremely reliable and is somewhat fun to drive. The initial battery lasted nearly ten years and never died - I replaced it as a precaution. With this winter's brutally cold days (50 below wind chill), it started every day - after being parked overnight 'not' in a garage. The engine still runs like new. The only repairs I've made were muffler-related and brakes, and the scheduled timing belt replacement. For the past 7 years I've been looking for a new car, but don't see significant improvements in mileage (mpg) -- other than hybrids. Other countries are getting very fuel efficient vehicles, but not the USA."

the little car that could

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Economical, easy to maneuver in bad weather"

Cons: "Rides too low, road noise"

"Despite it's age this little coup just keeps rollin' on. With routine maintenance service, manual transmission & average driving habits it gets 32-34 mpg in & out of town. Very good AC & heat, although both take some 12 minutes of warm up/driving to really kick in. Rides so low road noise can be annoying. Anyone whose knees are as high as the door handles will need instructions for ducking into and clambering out of this vehicle. Fun to drive five speed has amazing response & makes for safe all weather driving. A little small for long road trips this is comfortable & reliable for in-town commute & short local travels."

uber reliable & fun with a golden engine & tranny

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "great mpg, fun, reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "some road noise, highway power"

"This is my daily commuter car - 75 miles per day - super reliabile with a sweet Honda engine & 5 speed tranny, 38 - 45 mgp. Not much torque but very tossable & mucho fun to drive with good road feel. Zippy under 50 mph if you keep the rpms up. Cheap to keep on the road. Good in snow & amazing interior room. Not much sound insulation so you get some road & tire noise. Easy to park due to its size but I wouldn't want to head-on a pickup in something so light (2450 lbs). Stable on highway. Not sure how Honda got so much right. Shame they don't make these anymore. Great econocar."

I have had this car since 2000 best car I ever

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "very reliable and fun to drive"

Cons: "As I got older the seating is not good on my back."

"had. I am am an older adult. My first car was a 1955 Oldsmobile 88. I had about 18 different cars in my life time. this is my favorite."

Most Reliable Car you could ever buy

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, great MPG, smooth in old age"

Cons: "Lack of interior electronic features"

"First off, I own the base model DX sedan, there are no flashy features, but there are so many definite pros to this car that I could never list them all. Mine in particular is a manual, and it is the easiest manual you could ever drive in your life, period. The car, even though it has 195,000 miles on it, drives so well, it is incredibly smooth. I generally drive on the backroads on the rolling hills of Virginia, even then I get 39 MPG, the lowest I have gotten was 33 MPG, and I think the quality of the gas was to blame. The interior is very tough, and cleans up very easily, so it will last throughout almost anything. I know that I will drive this car until it dies, and it will be one of the saddest days of my life, but let's hope that that day isn't anytime soon."

A great little car

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Some road noise, back seat a little cramped"

"I bought this car new and I loved this car! Good looks, fuel efficient, very reliable. What's not to love? The only reason I will be selling it is that I now live in an area prone to flooding and I need a car that has more ground clearance. Otherwise, I would probably keep it even longer. Honda engines run forever!"

Just Do It! Buy A Honda!!!

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Price, reliability, style, longevity and value"

Cons: "None I can think of"

The Silver EX

"This is my second Honda and it is just as awesome as my first CRX Hatchback. You cannot go wrong with any incarnation of the Civic and I'm certain the rest of the Honda's are similar in reliability, pricing and market value. My Honda has never failed me and it looks and feels like a brand new vehicle...even after 86,000 miles and almost 18 years of driving it. People actually have left notes on my Civic asking if I'd like to sell it! It is in extremely great shape and it's always been taken care of. Having every receipt for services and any replacements or repairs through the years is certainly a good way to go. This car may not be worth too much in dollars and cents in today's marketplace but it's worth a million bucks to me because it simply never fails to provide all that I have come to expect from a Honda. It really has no flaws in performance or design and it's a pleasure to drive. If and when I sell it the next owner can bank on having an entirely new life from this vehicle and should keep it for many years to come if they maintain it as I have. I cannot say enough about my Honda...but I know I'd buy it again with no questions asked!"

The Silver EX

best vehicle for the money

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

"excellent, dependable and economical, great value"

Cons: "not much only two cup holders and yea thats it"

"I have had this car for around seven year being a male i have used this car to its full potential and i have only had to change the timing belt and the alternator. if your looking for a car that will save you money and look good at the same time the Honda Civic is the way to go. BEST CAR EVER!!"

Thirteen Years Old and Original Owner

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

"I owned 2 cars previous to this one and I am satisfied with Honda cars. Sure, I have the oil changes, tire rotations, battery changes, windshield wiper changes, etc. Since I live in a four-season state, snow contributed to rough conditions resulting in fender benders, but not major. Still a strong car that runs smoothe, and its dependable. Hondas are unfortunately big targets for stolen cars and mine fell prey to it. Got it back but with costly enterior damages. I'm making my trips to the Honda Dealer to have it repaired. Honda takes care of their customers, so I know they are taking care of my car. Always satisfied with my car as it runs well as usual."

best car I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "everything, especialy handling."

Cons: "adequate power, but no speedster."

"The car that is too tough to die. You can't kill this car. The engine is a baby at 151000 miles. Comfortable with a moon roof. My first impression was that I was riding in a little BMW, not a Honda. Superior handling saved me from some close calls on highways. The new ones don't have as much room for me, since I am 6'5". This is a 250,000 mile car. If you can get one, change the timing belt right off, and your good for 100,000 miles!"

Awesome car

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy, reliability"

"I love this civic. Gets 37-40 mpg. Runs and drives great."

Great Little Car

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "cheap on gas, oil, tires, and reliable"

Cons: "small oil leak it's only a 2 door"

"This car I have owned for 3 years haven't had any issues with it. Drove it to texas and back twice within the first 2 months of owning it. Ac works great, cheap on gas 30mpg, easy to drive, actually pretty good in the snow and ice, tires are cheap, oil changes are cheap, overall a very good car to own and have."

Great Little Car

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and economical"

Cons: "Road noise"

"Bought this car used two years ago and it has been an excellent ride. The civic always starts, it handles well and it sips gas. It can haul a surprising amount of stuff for a tiny car with the hatchback. The sealed bearings and suspension are also remarkable."

Sporty, fun, reliable, moddable, definitely a keep

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, drive on rails around corners, reliable"

Cons: "Not the safest, fastest, highest MPG car"

Front view with the upper grille block

"The 1999 and 2000 Civics are the best. 1998 and earlier don’t have motorized fan vents and no OBD2B connector. Civics after the 2000 year do not have a fully independent suspension like the 1992-2000 Civics and also suffered automatic transmission problems (7th gen) and porous engine blocks (early 8th gens). So I love my 1999 Civic DX 4 speed automatic. My mother got it for me and at first I didn’t like it at all compared to a 2006 Forester, but it was my first car and over time I grew to like it after I discovered modding. Visibility in this Civic is much better than any other car I've been in. Very small blind spots. It is taffeta white with black trim. Lots of black trim, with a small black “POLICE INTERCEPTOR” sticker below the left tail lights. I first didn’t like the understeer, so, I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and that helped incredibly. Now the car is on rails around corners. Helped further by the best all season tires I could buy (Continental DWS). The road feel is amazing with perfect road feedback from the hydraulic steering. Next, I didn’t like the headlights, too dim. So, I put in 55 watt 5000K (White output) HIDs. Totally awesome. I also put in 35 watt HIDs for the reverse lights so I can see well when backing out of weird areas. Also a bright 16 LED dome light and underseat/trunk CCFL tubes for illumination. The engine made a chattering noise at certain RPMs when cold, so I switched the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and then the chatter went away and oil consumption is near zero. I then installed a complete train horn system under the hood, and a genuine train bell under the driver’s side rear bumper and a high output alternator and huge inverter so I can power big appliances with my car. I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper (Shocker train horns). There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The car now has 232,100 miles on it with an automatic. I change all fluids regularly including the brakes, PS, tranny, engine oil and coolant to ensure no unnecessary wear or corrosion occurs. Very cheap and easy to do by myself on this car. The only wear on the car are the Rear Trailing Arm bushings, but they aren't completely worn out yet. It'll cost about $340 to get the bushing replaced. Also the ignition switch is showing signs of wear but that part is only about $40 and easy to do myself. Performance; Phenomenal stability and great cornering abilities. With the big rear sway bar you can get the rear end loose and it's easy to recover and control. In a straight line; not fast. Helps that I can put the transmission in “2nd” and it will stay in 2nd all the way until 70MPH at around 7000RPM! So it isn't entirely gutless. The transmission does lockup so you can get fuel economy on the highway. So it has good performance from 30-38MPG (top of 1st gear) and 50MPH-70MPH (top of 2nd gear). In the summer you can get around 32MPG in mixed conditions and 36MPG on the highway at 60MPH. In the winter, about 29MPG mixed, 32MPG highway. Comfort; The front seat required a beaded seat cover to be comfortable, but after that it is great. But after a few hours I do need to stretch Very little rattles, doesn't complain when I abuse it. Stock brakes are good and easy to replace yourself. Don't forget to replace the timing belt regularly because if it slips, the engine may be destroyed. I plan on keeping this car forever, but if it ever breaks I'll probably get an AWD plug-in hybrid, or buy another identical Civic for a few grand and swap the mods to the other car."

My video

Front view with the upper grille block

Using the horn of my car in a long tunnel

Yes nice condition

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

"It has a Amp and speaker and Sony Radio with rims"

Yes I would buy a Honda Civic Hatchback again!!!!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Great Gas mileage, reliable and sport car feel"

Cons: "No frills or comfort."

"I own the Hatchback DX. Love this car! I would buy another if I could find one. I have been driving cars since 1975. I owned (3) Toyota, (4)VW, (1)Chevy, (2)Ford, (2)Honda, and (1)Jeep. This car has beat them all in dependability and can take some abuse! Bought with 67,000 miles on it in 2006. Yes it could use some frills but it is dependable and gets great gas mileage I average between 35-39 mpg!!! Easy to repair. As of October 2013 almost 300,000 miles on it. Unfortunately it is showing it's age. Will probably sell/junk soon. A/C is dead, Needs new shocks/struts and the engine is staring to burn oil. It will cost more to fix then it's worth. So I am running it til it dies. Only work? Brakes, complete replacement of muffler/pipes twice, Exhaust manifold/Catalytic Converter, CV Joints, and Distributor 3 sets of all 4 tires. Oh yeah it survived hitting a deer. Only broke the front headlight and dented the hood fender a little. Found a used fender in junk yard matched perfect. IF you find one in decent shape. BUY IT!!!"

Best car for commute