1999 Honda Civic

Based on 1129 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Best car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Easy to work on, precision parts, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic on door panels, expensive OEM parts"

"I bought this car used about 8 years ago. This is the longest I've owned a car in my life, all my others having had some major issue in their lifetime. This car has been a blessing. It's reliably driven me over 150,000 miles in that time and continues to press on. It's had some major issues like the ignition coil and clutch going out, and some minor ones like replacing the axles, the regulator arms in the windows (apparently these cars had issues with those), replacing the catalytic converter and O2 sensors, the arm rests caving in (my major complaint), and a minor oil leak. But compared to the problems I've had in the past with other vehicles, this one has been a dream."

Hondas are great!

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and park"

"This is our third Honda, need we say more. Drives like a car should drive. No mush, just good response."

Loved this car from day one.

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Very inexpensive. To buy and to matain."

Cons: "Not great pick-up."

"I bought my Civic new and for 16 years it has performed better than any car I have ever known. While other people are getting major things fixed on their vehicle, I am doing regular maintenance on mine. In 16 years the total cost of all major repairs I have ever had to do, and nothing was really major, I have spent less than #3000. I love this car. I will drive a Honda forever."

Love my honda

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Affordable, reliable, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Paint oxidized horribly so it always looks dirty"

"I have loved my honda, had it for 6 years and the only repairs I've ever had to do mechanically would be normal fixes such as breaks, tires, new timing belt.... I am pretty sure if you do normal routine maintence this car could run pretty much forever! Honda's are awesome!"

Great, Reliable and Fun to Drive Car

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Reliable, Fun To Drive"

Cons: "Highway Noise, Low HP,"

"The civic is a great all around car. Great gas mileage, fantastic reliability, cheap maintenance. I have always been car savvy but this generation Civic is by far the easiest to work on. I've changed the headgasket multiple times on these by just following a service manual. I don't care what others say, this car is fun to drive, especially with the 5 speed manual transmission. It may not make a lot of horsepower or have a lot of torque, but the small rev happy motor has plenty of spunk to push around a 1 ton car. The combination of light weight and high revs is always a winner. Considering how large the tuning market is for civics, and the wide availability of parts, it's no wonder it is such a popular selling car. My car personally has Koni Adjustable Shocks and Neuspeed Sport Springs as the only modifications and boy does it bring out the capability of the chassis. The ride is better than stock suspension and it hugs corners like a beast (with grippy tires of course). If you want a well rounded, low cost, and somewhat sporty car to drive, the 1996-2000 Civic is for you."

It is the best car I have owned,

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

"I bought it used and have owned it for 10 years."

Best Car I've Ever Owned!

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "great mpg! scoots in and out of traffic."

Cons: "uncomfortable seats and not much leg room."

"Best car I've ever owned and the reason I still have it today after 18 years! It used to get 30+ mpg on the highway with low mileage; however, it can get up to 50mpg highway now that it's "broken in good". I've taken this car to the beach, mountains, city, and rural areas in rain,snow, stop/start driving. It handles superb and better than an SUV I owned. My only complaint is that it's the most uncomfortable car I've owned. Seats hurt my back and not much leg room. Otherwise, if this car is kept maintained like mine has been, it can go for 100k's miles easily. I'll never get rid of this car."

Ahead of its time; Best compact car.

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "great price, great mpg, stylish 90s compact car"

Cons: "no CD player in the LX, only 107 horsepower"

my car when i purchased it

"Honda does it right. The civic may not be luxurious, but when it comes to getting your money's worth, it's an amazing car to own. Exceptional gas mileage, and reliability that lives up to the Honda standard. I've owned this car for four years and plan to buy a newer model year civic. I've had the check engine light come on only once for a minor part needing to be replaced, and even in below zero (Fahrenheit) degrees, the engine still started on the first attempt. If you maintain this car it will show the same treatment on the road and in your wallet. The 1997 civic is perfect for anyone who appreciates good value and is willing to sacrifice a little power (though it can still have some kick to it) for saving money on a car that will last for many years."

my car when i purchased it

Great reliable gas saver.

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "great economical car, etc."

Cons: "not a luxury car."

"I have had this 97 HONDA for 10 years and it has been extremely reliable and economical. Wish that the newer Hondas were as reliable. Only the Fit appears to have the reliability of the older Honda civics.The mileage on the highway varies from 33 TO 40 MPG. Using cruise control helps."

good reliable car

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "great on gas, has about half life on it,"

Cons: "small. paint fades fast!!"

"good car for the $, does not break down often, I have 197,000 miles on it, and it is still pretty strong, gas mileage is great, and I can zip in and out of traffic, very economical, still runs great."