1999 Honda Civic

Based on 1160 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Good for the commuter

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"This Civic has been good to me for the last 8 years I've had it. While the gas mileage claims seem to be a little exaggerated, realistically, I get around 375 miles per tank (11.9 gallons) for the automatic transmission, LX trim. The LX only has about 108 horsepower, so it is a little sluggish from time to time when using accessories like Air Conditioning, but I've never been in a situation where I felt unsafe or at risk in merging or driving as a result of the smaller engine. I've had some repair work done on it: Oxygen Sensor replaced in 4th year of ownership; on my 3rd set of tires, 3rd set of brakes, second windshield. It was difficult to fit things into it for college and the return trip back, but keep in mind if you aren't going to be using the extra space in the car most of the time, the Civic is a good choice because of the good fuel economy. Wintery conditions are a little shaky with this vehicle. While you DO want a FWD car for the snow/slushy conditions, the 2000 Civic's lack of a traction control or other stability features have led to several spin-outs on major highways, luckily not resulting in a collision...yet. The interior styling is a little sleepy, the car drives a little funny when you are under 1/2 tank of gas (seems harder to start, performance is different than when you have a full tank of gas, etc.), and interior room is a little cramped for anyone in the back seat and anyone taller than 6'0" in the front seats. Personally if I had to choose again, I would look into something slightly larger and sacrifice the extra mile or two per gallon I get with the Civic and look into a 4-cylinder Sentra, Accord, Impreza, CR-V, or Altima."

Perfect Car

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I bought my 1999 Honda Civic when it was 4 years old and it had 75,000 miles on it. Now it is up to 165,000 and runs just as well as it did when I bought it. This car has been perfect. Not a single major engine or other major repair in 6 years. I have the maintenance done religiously every 7500 miles and get regular oil changes. The car gets at least 32-35 miles per gallon and even more on the highway. There are no rust spots and the car still looks modern on the road. I am going to trade it in on a hybrid car and the thought of not having it any more is so so depressing. If we had a 3 car garage I'd keep it forever!! I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a good, solid, reliable car that gets great gas mileage and will run forever."

Exceptional Value Vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic brand new from a dealership - I had no idea that it would serve me faithfully, needing nothing other than fuel, wear items (wipers, battery, tires), and routine maintenance, for 7 years with extraordinarily high fuel efficiency and an amazingly durable interior! I am as proud of my adorable little car as I was the day I bought it. I've driven this car from Kansas to Washington DC, to Seattle, to Las Vegas, to Chicago (a dozen times or more) and to New York with never a breakdown. It has a third more than the average mileage for its age, and it just keeps on going. It never has trouble starting, never runs rough, and never dies on me. This vehicle has been one of the smartest purchases of my life. I have no doubt it will serve me well for another 7 years!"

love my honda!

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "if you take care of it, it will run forever"

Cons: "the plastic peices will be the first things to go"

"I have had this car for 5 years and bought it with 75,000 miles on it and I have loved it through every mile. I have always kept up on regular maintenance and feel I would have no problem driving till it had 200,000 miles on it. This car has always been reliable and the only way ill give it up is for a new Honda Civic."

Best commuter car

By on Thursday, July 05, 2007

"I could not be more pleased with this car. I have been a licensed driver for 34 years and have driven over a million miles. This car is the best I have ever owned. I wish they still made them! With regular maintenance it will just keep going."

very dependable little car

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "reliable, great mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat and little storage"

"I purchased this car one year ago with 117,000 miles on the odometer after graduating from college. My plan was to use that loan to build my credit score until I could get favorable financing terms for a newer vehicle, and yesterday I became the happy owner of a new 2013 Subaru Legacy with 0% financing. Parting is such sweet sorrow. If I weren't moving to an area with a great deal of deep snow where AWD is a necessity, I would have held onto my Civic for several more years. Over the course of a year and 14,000 miles it has been a very reliable vehicle, needing only one minor repair to the driver's side window. Despite having so many miles on the odometer, the brakes are responsive, the ride is smooth, and the gas mileage is quite high (still gets 32 mpg highway on flat roads with AC on low). Moreover, the handling is lively, and the engine has a lot of zip under most driving conditions. The one exception is steep grades, where the 4-cylinder engine struggles to pass, and the automatic transition shifts indecisively between gears. This isn't a good car for someone looking for the creature comforts that come standard on more recent vehicles. It also isn't a good car for someone who needs much cargo space or wants to drive up snowy ski hill roads or on rocky paths to remote trailheads. This is an excellent car for someone looking for affordability (sips gas, cheap to insure, low repair costs). It is ideal as an inexpensive commuter car or a starter car for a new purchaser."

A solid economical car

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "A solid runner and very cheap on gas. Approx 28-35"

Cons: "Not extensively styled interior and lacking power"

"My civic has been run to 304,000 miles and I maintained it by factory recommendations. This being said, I have never had anything more than regular maintenance done on this car. Its not overpowering when getting up to speed on the expressway, but it always got me from point A to B. The interior is not the greatest, but it is made well. At 15 years old with extensive driving i don't have any problems with rips tears, etc. These cars do tend to rust on the rear quarter panels in salt using areas, but its been solid economical transportation."

Still loving this car...

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I have a 2000 Civic VP that replaced my 2002 Chevy Cavalier. The dealer thought I was crazy to trade in a newer car for an older car. Crazy? I don't think so. My car now has 117000 miles and I drive in city traffic every day. Still getting more than 33 miles to the gallon and I love the handling. I am the envy of all of my friends when I can easily get into or out of virtually anyplace because of the great turning radius. Totally recommended."

This car saved my life

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

"This was my first car I bought all on my own & i absolutely loved it. This car was great on gas, easy and fun to drive, and very reliable. This car handled great in bad weather w/ the snow tires i put on it. Unfortunately, though I lost this car due to being hit by a tractor trailer that ran a red light. This car helped to save my life & I walked away with being sore for a few months. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe car for themselves or their teenager."

Runs well and is reliable. Great tires. Stick !

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

"Well maintained. 4 new tires around 2,000 miles ago. Front brakes last year. I drive 8 miles a day no highway. Engine has never been abused, beat. Rides well. Big promotion and time to buy my dream Cooper Mini. REQUIRES EXHAUST WORK FOR STICKER. Estimate for a standard Honda exhaust $500."

I love my Civic

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pros: "Just a great car"

Cons: "None really"

"I've own this car since 80K miles. It has 200K now and is still running fine. I had to replace the trannie...not much else has gone wrong!!"

Most reliable and cheap car to own great car!!!

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Cheap prices, great MPH, Reliable, Cheap to fix"

Cons: "not much only two cup holders and yea thats it"

"I have had this car for around seven year being a male i have used this car to its full potential and i have only had to change the timing belt and the alternator. if your looking for a car that will save you money and look good at the same time the Honda Civic is the way to go. BEST CAR EVER!!"

1998 Civic DX Sedan

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "great price, good quality"

Cons: "needs some more power"

"I bought this car from its original owner at 80k and I fell in love with it from day one. I now have close to 84k on it and its been a few months and I love everything about it. Being the DX trim the car is so light n very chuck able around corners. I do wish it had a bit more power though because the car does feel a bit slugish uphill with the AC running. Absolutely everything runs like day one on this car. I did lower the car for handling and a better look and also added some factory fog lights and a few other minor mods. I also added a roof rack and I carry anything and everything with this car :D . I simply love it. I would recommend it to every one. BUY A CIVIC 5SPEED STICK!"

GREAT CAR!

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "Great mechanical quality!"

Cons: "Small seats for a big guy."

"I bought this car with 140k miles on it. It had been wrecked before, but fixed back almost perfectly. I can only say that now it has 245k miles on it and it is still running like new! I have spent a total of $45 dollars in repairs and that is it. Sure, a few things here and there don't work perfect, but overall it is still a wonderful car. This was my mothers car for 5 years and now it will be mine. If you need a cheap car that's going to last, this is the car. Looks good and drives good."

I love my civic

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "reliable great transportation"

"the proverbial little old lady who never goes over 10 miles in a trip....or so....it's been a wonderful reliable car - when i remember to turn the lights off! I've drained the battery too many times."

Love my '99 Civic :)

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Great Value!"

Cons: "High insurance premiums :("

"I love, love, love my 1999 Civic LX :) This was the first new car I ever owned, and money well spent! I ran it hard, but also abided by maintenance schedule. Great handling, unmatched visibility, zippy to drive and awesome fuel economy (still get 33 mpg!). Interior is much better quality than what Honda now offers, with not a pull/stretch/rip/tear/crack in upholstery/carpet/dash. Paint job also still looks great! Odometer is at 218,000 , and it is still a reliable ride for my teen drivers.My only wish is that Honda would bring back this design/quality b/c my experience has been so great that I swore I'd never drive anything else but a Honda, but I am very disappointed in Honda's current line."

Really amazing automobile

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Really ez and fun to drive."

Cons: "been thinking for 5min and came up blank"

"This civic was my first car, I really beat on it when i first got it and it still runs great. i can get 36mpg in the 5-speed and it also has a 10 sec 0-60. 210k on it right now and i expect it to last till 300k atleast. i recomend this car to anyone in need of reliable transportation. if you can find one with low miles grab it up you wont need to worry about a car till you crash it cause they just dont die."

Long but honest review

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, VTEC, Peppy, cheap to fix, beautiful"

Cons: "Price"

"The first car of my life was a 1998 Honda accord LX, I beat the stuffing out of it and even wrecked it 3 times (I was a crazy kid). Anyways the car held up like a champ and never had any problems with it (amazingly) and I thought every car I bought would run like that. Boy was I wrong. I ran into a bit of money when I turned 18 so I decided to buy a new car. I went American and had every problem in the world and never wrecked it. Long story short I went back to Honda. I bought this civic with 144,000 miles on it for 4,200 dollars 2 years ago, since then I have put almost 15 thousand miles on it and had basically no issues (aside from two belts (AC and power steering, which were only 15 bucks a piece). I put Lucas transmission fluid in when I bought it (even though there wasn't any problems with the transmission that I could tell). As well as the Lucas oil engine and valve cleaner. Of course 4,200 was a lot more then I wanted to spend on a 10 year old car, however this car has been a blessing in disguise ever since I bought it. This was the only Honda I could find in town around my price limit and it had a VTEC so I went for it (even thought it was an auto trans). I think the price is actually quite worth it when you consider all the money you will sink into a used American car. I put a new muffler (not an obnoxiously loud one) that added a few hp and a cool air intake which also added a few hp and I find the car to be quite peppy. Especially for a 1.6 Liter. Most people don't believe me when I told them it was only 1.6 liters. I get about 40 mpg on the highway and 30 in the city when I drive her easy."

great first car

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

"rides smooth and comfortable. also its cheap and can be easily modified. good for car enthusiast to build on."

Amazing!

By on Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I bought my car from a buy here pay here, you know how those go.. Lol. But my car has been absolutely perfect, other than a flat tire. haha. I have never had any issues with this car, I love it! I wouldn't trade it for the world, it is very reliable, and has never left me stranded like my Chrysler Cirrus, which was a piece, by the way. It's cute, comfortable, and candid. I would recommend to anyone. It has 135,000 miles on it, and is still going strong!"

10 years later

By on Saturday, November 01, 2008

"I've owned this car for a decade now. I fill it with gas and oil, had to change brake-pads once, three sets of new tires, and one new battery. 100k miles later, and it's still plugging along strong. I've had people knock on my door while the vehicle was parked on the side of the road, asking if it's for sale. No matter the offer, the answer is no! Zero hassles after a decade, and getting about 42MPG avg (low 37- high 45)... just can't beat it. I'll be running this thing into the ground!"

Loved this car from day one.

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Very inexpensive. To buy and to matain."

Cons: "Not great pick-up."

"I bought my Civic new and for 16 years it has performed better than any car I have ever known. While other people are getting major things fixed on their vehicle, I am doing regular maintenance on mine. In 16 years the total cost of all major repairs I have ever had to do, and nothing was really major, I have spent less than #3000. I love this car. I will drive a Honda forever."

Great Value

By on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, Reliable, solid, folding rear seat"

Cons: "This is not a towing car."

"I am the original owner of this car. I bought it in August 1999, one model year old but never driven, and had the CD player dropped in it when CDs were a new media. I am amazed at how mechanically good this car has been. I originally planned to keep it 4-5 years, I have had it for 14! It's a family solid workhorse. Maintenance costs have been consistently reasonable I have used the "severe condition driving" maintenance portion of the manual to get this life out of this vehicle."

Picked this up for a commuter car, love the saving

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "MPG, value"

Cons: "smaller than a truck"

"I had a truck that was getting 11-12mpg, and it was costing me 7-10$ a day just to go to work and back. After doing some research and finally finding a used Civic in my price range I picked up the 98 EX, and have been enjoying it ever since. I had a major tune up done after picking it up(timingbelt and everything else that needed to be done) and have been getting 32.3mpg since. Hopefully when summer gets here it will be even better."

Honda Civic SI

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

"I Don't Have too much to say, But I just love hondas. Specially the SI I won't buy any other vehicle that is not honda or Acura. Best car's ever built They are relyable in every aspect. Thank God for a verry awsome car:))"