1998 Honda Civic

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Super reliable and great gas mileage

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Super reliable and great mileage"

Cons: "Forgettable exterior style"

"I also bought my car new, 14 years ago. It has been largely trouble-free. Early on, they did issue a recall on the CVT transmission and replaced it but no problems with it either way. Despite the already pretty good EPA mileage rating, I routinely get 38 mpg and once when visiting family out of state and driving entirely on highways, I got 42 mpg. That's approaching what you get with a hybrid vehicle, for gosh sakes. Style-wise, it always struck me as a stodgy looking car and I very nearly went for a sporty looking Ford Fiesta recently until I came to my senses. I'm going with a 2013 HF Civic, which is the successor to the HX. The HF now gets 41 mpg. Only a few small gripes...I'm a 5'4" woman, the average height for American women. Yet when I pull the car seat up so my feet reach the pedals, I can't use the arm rest becus it's too far back. This should be fixed. Also, again an issue of proportions and height, the seat belt routinely wraps too high across my chest and sometimes feels like it's a little too close to my neck for comfort. I don't like the wheels on this car which are exposed to snow and rain. The rest of the car is so bland looking, why bother putting fancy wheels on it? It rusts out the drums and I had to replace one that was totally rusted out. The others aren't far behind."

Definitely a great vehicle!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, great gas mileage, trunk space"

"I've had my '99 Honda Civic LX for almost 6 years now. It's always been very reliable and comfortable. I'm sad to get rid of it soon but it's about to hit 175,000 miles and has developed a few problems that will cost more to fix than the car is actually worth now. This car has taken me on several road trips where it has always had excellent gas mileage. I've always felt safe in this car and would definitely recommend it to anyone (though you may want to upgrade to a newer model as it's 14 years old now)."

ADORED THIS CAR!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"I've owned this car for a year and was just in an accident and the other ladies Cadillac killed it. Can't find another for sale in my are and I'm very sad. This was a wonderful car. Great gas milage, realiable, compact but plenty of room inside, adorable car. I will miss it greatly."

Best Car ive ever owned

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat"

"I dont know if anyone else gets the gas mileage as i do, but since day one ive been getting 40 mpg which is amazing, the car is very fun to drive, its very reliable and its pretty quick for being a 1.6 liter. ive owned many different variety of cars in the past 8 years and this one has been the most reliable. im going to drive this car until the odometer turns over"

Excellent vehicle! Reliable and fun to drive.

By on Saturday, December 15, 2012

"I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si. It has 144,028 miles and it still drives strong. I've taken many road trip with this and it's never failed me. I've made a list below of my personal pros and cons. Pros: Fun to drive Reliable Sporty appearance ( Si model ) 4 wheel disk brakes DOHC VTEC engine Smooth shifting transmission Very easy to work on ( mechanic ) Replacement parts are easy to find and relatively cheap. Solid built car Cons: Seating 5 people is not comfortable at all ( Si coupe ) Cup holders do not hold drinks tight, has a tendency to spill. Interior styling is plain, not exciting at all. Other than the badge and wheel nothing else is different between EX and Si ( other than engine)"

My first car- 12 years old and still going strong!

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance, great mileage"

Cons: "Has been broken into a couple of times"

"I bought my 2000 Honda Civic DX coupe in 2005 from it's original owner. It only had 50,000 miles on it and was the perfect little car. Since I bought it the car has been in 2 major accidents and is still running excellent. I've always been good on maintenance and taking care of this little gem. I recently drove my car from Seattle to Phoenix with no problems whatsoever. It has always been a very reliable car, and I know that my next car will be a Honda because this one has treated me so well. The only thing I wish my car had was cruise control, power windows and locks. I bought the DX which is just the bare basics. Next time I'm buying all the bells and whistles."

13 years and still going....what more could I say?

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Honda Civic is the way to go!"

Cons: "Honda Civic saves you $$$"

"My 1999 Civic Si has over 180,000 miles and still running strong. Just make sure you maintence the car regularly and this car could last 15-30 years. That's why it's a Honda!"

Most reliable car ever

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, very dependable car"

Cons: "small car, low to the ground"

"This car has never left me on the side of the road, it still runs like a champ. Can't beat the honda reliabilty."

Still running strong!

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great MPG, handling, acceleration...."

Cons: "better cup holders?...that is all"

"Great reliable car, will be keeping it for a long time! This particular year was a very good year for civics..."

Fantastic

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, handling, durability, dependablity,"

Cons: "bad cup holders, ok comfort"

"Quick, great gas mileage, handles better than most new cars. Excellent engine, transmission. I beat on the car pretty good still goes, still handles well. Excellent car to have!"

Reliable, Fun, Economical!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "keeps value, fun, good mpgs, reliable as heck"

Cons: "low (can be hard to crawl into) not much else"

"Absolutely love this car. It has replaced my 1982 Civic which ran for 28 years with no engine re-build, travelling from the west to east coasts several times. I was so impressed with the longevity and fuel economy with the last Civic (total cost for gas/maintenance was $500 over three years) that I purchased the 98 Civic DX coupe. It has not disappointed. I've owned it for two years and it always runs smooth, has needed absolutely no maintenance (I change the oil twice a year) and doesn't use any oil. It handles nicely for its class - low and fun to drive. The 4-cylinder is ample and mpg is approximately 30 in the city and 40-45 on the highway. If you don't care about mpg it's not too hard to add some turbo... All around it is an excellent car and I have a hard time finding fault with it. My only complaint would be that the clutch is buried deep under the dash, and the cupholders could be in a better place. If you're elderly and don't relish crawling into a car that's approximately 6 inches off the road you may be met with a challenge. However, if you're looking for a car that will hold its value, get good mpgs, handles well and never needs maintenance, this is a great vehicle to consider."

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "30ish mpg"

Cons: "for little people 5'10 and smaller"

"over 11 years the basics have gone bad....starter, battery, ac, actually, that is about it. Great car...going bigger...pilot?"

In a word....Awsome

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas milage"

Cons: "In one mans opinion...none"

"Fun to drive. Requires low maintenance as Honda parts seem to last forever. When parts do have to be replaced they are readily available and inexpensive. The 1.6 VTEC engine has good pick up and power. And to top it all off I have been getting 32 mpg on average."

Great car my green 98 civic lx before the hybrid's

By on Thursday, April 28, 2011

"My 98 honda civic lx 5speed 4door is the best. I purchased it new it now has 197k on it. I have taken several long trips filled 11.8 gallon tank and gotten over 520 miles at 74mph. I do my own brakes and oil changes. Replaced gas tank for $25 from junkyard and new exhast replaced for $200 this year, other than I put nothing into it besides tires a/c still blows cold. I also own a 05 with 50k I like the 98 better, wife owns an 08. If you can find one in good shape for a few grand GET ONE!! you cant beat them in gas milage, reliability and cool factor . go for a manual transmission little more pep. This civic has payed for itself a long time ago,"

Best Car EVER

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I owned this car for 12 yr and 186,000 miles and now enjoy it at 215,000 miles in my daughter's hands (when she lets me drive it). Did all routine maintenance & replaced O2 sensor - that's IT. It's the easiest car to drive and still has original clutch after teaching two youngsters to drive. Everything is in the right place and works like it's supposed to. After all this time, have found none better. Only complaint? Could've used a sunroof and cruise control. Can you say, "42 mpg driving like a demon?" Fun fun fun to drive!"

Sentimental Car

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"Parents bought this car for me back in late 97. I paid it off and it is now 2010 and I still drive the beast. The Vtec engine still runs like it did back in 97... This car went through it all. I maintained it in/out well.Got broken into 3 times, went through 5 serious relationships, 2 islands, 1 paint job, 7 jobs, 1 timing belt. It never broke down on me once! Or have I done any serious mechanical work on it besides returning the irritating fat muffler to a stock muffler. I'm selling the car and its hard to let it go because of all the memories I had in it, but I gotta let someone else drive it another 125k miles and move on to a newer car or truck. Honda made this engine last and I will only buy honda cars because of their reliability and excellence in detail and performance. The engine is practically bulletproof. Good job Honda! Don't be worried about buying these hondas after 100k miles..as long as it has been maintained well you'll be ok."

Very reliable and durable

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I bought this vehicle at 100k and have already clocked 166k miles. Still going good. No major services except the timing belt at 100k. Only service I have done is oil changes and regular checkups. Awesome reliable car!"

The Best Car for the Money !

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"The Honda Civic is the best car for the money. I have a 1998 Honda Civic with over 150,000 trouble free miles and plan to add more. I purchased the car new and have perfromed only scheduled mainteneance and replaced parts that normally wear out and need replacing, breaks, timing belts etc. Spend your money wisely!"

Bang for the buck

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I have owned my 99 Honda Civic Si for around a year and love it. The 1.6L DOHC 4 cylinder engine is very impressive. I have done a few small modifications to the engine and suspension and i can keep up with just about every v6. I drive the car hard and I still get around 27mpg. It is very reliable and I have never had a problem with it. The inside is very plain but still solid. I love driving the car and it never gets old. It is fun to walk away from new v6 mustangs and know that they paid alot more. A must drive in my book!!!"

Run it till YOU die, lol.

By on Monday, November 03, 2008

"I LOVE my honda, it is probably on of the best decisions i have ever made as far as purchases go. Its reliable, even in the Minnesota winters, its peppy enough in traffic, its efficient, it wasnt too expensive, the engine and tranny are extremely durable, the seats provide plenty of comfort and space from my 6 foot 4 inch frame, and after having it for 10,000 miles the resale value hasnt dropped more then about 100 bucks. There are only a few things i would change about this car. First i would have the seat adjustment replaced from preset increments to a twist dial like most newer cars. Second i wouldnt have put the keyless and dome light throught the stock stereo. Third, i may have been inclined to put a better a/c unit in the design, the stock one basically feels like a fan with an ice cube in front of it. For a reliable commuter, a first car, or just a fun cheaper little car for banging around, a Honda civic is perfect. It will be running clean off into the sunset long after you are dead and buried, lol."

Best car i've ever had

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Got this car brand new in 1997 for $11,000. Maintained it regularly over the past 11 years. Mine is a manual, so I get around 36 mph hwy driving and 30 - 32 in the city. Only major problems during the time i've owned it is an oxygen sensor and broken CV joint boots, which really needs to be replaced anyway after 11 years. It's still worth around $4,000, so it's held it's value pretty well over the years."

Terrific car

By on Friday, June 06, 2008

"Great car. Bought used at 50K miles in 1999, have put 120K on it with no major problems. Well maintained, it has never given out on me. No breakdowns, ever. Could probably sell it for half what I bought it for eight years ago, but with gas prices the way they are, I feel I've still got a bargain car."

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"This car is very reliable and nearly maintenance free. A sensor went out on this car and cost $600.00 for replacement and labor but ot than that, it has been relatively inexpensive to maintain and repair. I am the original owner and this is my 4th Honda that I have owned."

Best car I've owned

By on Saturday, March 15, 2008

"I have a '99. It has 120,000 miles. The only maintenance I've needed is oil changes. Very cheap to operate and cute! Great gas mileage. A little slow to accelerate but hey - it's a 4-cylinder. Very trustworthy & reliable. Holds its value."

exactly what I want

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Great car. Good gas - 35-38 mpg, handles fine, never left me on the side of the road. I've moved apartments with it twice. I always service it promptly (oil every 7k miles). Runs great, I intend to drive another 6-10 years. Downsides: not easy to get in and out if you are tall or overweight. Getting large objects in and out of trunk is tough, opening is small. Small engine leads to not much acceleration and slow going up steep high mountains."