1998 Honda Civic

Based on 1141 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "reliability, peppy engine, well thought out."

Cons: "sunroof unnessesary."

"This car will run for another 140000 miles. Dependable and cheap to keep. I bought it new. Serviced by dealer and it just keeps going. Only reason to sell would be is I will need a 4 door civic soon. $ doors are easier to get in and out."

This car is in Excellent running condition

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Great Price with replaced car engine with 60000 mi"

Cons: "Bought in 2007"

"This car is in Excellent running condition with new farly nw battery and Tire. I replaced my Engine with an old one with millage about 55000. So This car engine usage is about 60000. As per Kelly book proce of this Car is 2208 with 220000 mil. But Replace my Engine with anothe one with 55000 mi. So car Engine is in excellent runing condition."

fair condition./runs great/some problems

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "runs smooth"

Cons: "beat up"

"car has body damage all over but drives beautifully. It's not in great cosmetic shape but has been loved! Minimal problems EVER. 1 yr old battery. Needs some work"

the perfect first car

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, and safe."

Cons: "I'd like a little more power but cant complain"

"i received a 96 honda civic ex for my 15th birthday and i absolutely adore it. its the best car for the value, its reliable, quick, and it looks pretty stylish for an 18 year old car."

2D EX coupe 5 speed manual

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cute, 40 mpg still!"

Cons: "Sits low, hard for old people LOL"

"Bought this car with 135,000 miles 4 years ago. We have driven it for a cross-country move with no problems. It has the original clutch! Just had some suspension work done--was still riding on the originals. As with any 17+ year old car, we have had to do some up keep: timing belt, water pump, brakes, exhaust. But overall a solid car for the money. Civics have a few known defects in this era. The electric driver side window and trunk keyhole will likely fail and need work."

Excellent quality

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "dependable, fun to drive"

Cons: "a little more road noise than I'd like"

"Bought the 1999 Civic LX in November 1998, and it's now 2014 and it still runs great. It has been very dependable - starting up during the coldest of winter days. I have the 5-speed manual and it's enjoyable to drive. I would like to get a new car, but am disappointed that most of the new models do not get any better gas mileage than this 15 year old Civic."

Best Civic Si Ever Made!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Drivability and handling"

"I purchased my 1999 Honda Civic Si new off the dealer lot. It has been an extremely fun car to drive since day one! With 230,500 miles now on the odometer it is still a great daily driver and weekend get away car. Yes, it is starting to show its age, but for a 15 year old car there is still no rust and the engine still has plenty of get up and go. I have put this car through its paces from lots of highway miles driving between race tracks in the summer months to loading it up with kayak and bike racks for camping trips, this car has done it all with no complaints. Maintenance is done a regular basis and there have been NO unexpected surprises in the mechanical areas. I am about to pass this car down to my daughter for the off to college car and she loves it already."

LOVE my car

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Love everything about her."

"I love my car! She is great!"

Great 16 Year Run

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reason: Needed larger car

Pros: "reliable, comfortable and inexpensive to run"

Cons: "Poor acceleration"

"I finally sold my 98 Civic EX Sedan after 16 years of faithful service, and miss it. It was a great car - good ergonomics, reliable and good mileage. At 140,000 miles with daily short commutes, the car rarely had time to fully heat up. Yet, the car kept going. My new car is a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid. I hope this car runs as well as the 1998 Civic and the 1982 Accord so I can keep it for 16 years too."

Great Little Car! Got my money's worth!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, economical, always ran well, sporty"

Cons: "small, low to ground, hard to get into back seat"

"At 15 years old, my little civic drives better and is more fun than my mother's brand new Chevy Cruze. Have had it in really only for routine maintenance over the years. It's currently at 240,000 miles and it seems as if it could easily keep on a keeping for another 100,000! Great Value!! Its only downfalls are that it is 1) very low to the ground...I've gotten stuck more than a time or two in snow covered Michigan roads and driveways. Also, it is quite small on the inside. Doesn't bother me personally, but my passengers have difficulty getting in and out and when we go out as a group,someone else usually offers to drive because of it."

Great car!

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "Some road noise"

"I bought this car new (5-speed manual), over 15 years ago, and it has been extremely reliable and is somewhat fun to drive. The initial battery lasted nearly ten years and never died - I replaced it as a precaution. With this winter's brutally cold days (50 below wind chill), it started every day - after being parked overnight 'not' in a garage. The engine still runs like new. The only repairs I've made were muffler-related and brakes, and the scheduled timing belt replacement. For the past 7 years I've been looking for a new car, but don't see significant improvements in mileage (mpg) -- other than hybrids. Other countries are getting very fuel efficient vehicles, but not the USA."

the little car that could

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Economical, easy to maneuver in bad weather"

Cons: "Rides too low, road noise"

"Despite it's age this little coup just keeps rollin' on. With routine maintenance service, manual transmission & average driving habits it gets 32-34 mpg in & out of town. Very good AC & heat, although both take some 12 minutes of warm up/driving to really kick in. Rides so low road noise can be annoying. Anyone whose knees are as high as the door handles will need instructions for ducking into and clambering out of this vehicle. Fun to drive five speed has amazing response & makes for safe all weather driving. A little small for long road trips this is comfortable & reliable for in-town commute & short local travels."

uber reliable & fun with a golden engine & tranny

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "great mpg, fun, reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "some road noise, highway power"

"This is my daily commuter car - 75 miles per day - super reliabile with a sweet Honda engine & 5 speed tranny, 38 - 45 mgp. Not much torque but very tossable & mucho fun to drive with good road feel. Zippy under 50 mph if you keep the rpms up. Cheap to keep on the road. Good in snow & amazing interior room. Not much sound insulation so you get some road & tire noise. Easy to park due to its size but I wouldn't want to head-on a pickup in something so light (2450 lbs). Stable on highway. Not sure how Honda got so much right. Shame they don't make these anymore. Great econocar."

I have had this car since 2000 best car I ever

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "very reliable and fun to drive"

Cons: "As I got older the seating is not good on my back."

"had. I am am an older adult. My first car was a 1955 Oldsmobile 88. I had about 18 different cars in my life time. this is my favorite."

Most Reliable Car you could ever buy

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, great MPG, smooth in old age"

Cons: "Lack of interior electronic features"

"First off, I own the base model DX sedan, there are no flashy features, but there are so many definite pros to this car that I could never list them all. Mine in particular is a manual, and it is the easiest manual you could ever drive in your life, period. The car, even though it has 195,000 miles on it, drives so well, it is incredibly smooth. I generally drive on the backroads on the rolling hills of Virginia, even then I get 39 MPG, the lowest I have gotten was 33 MPG, and I think the quality of the gas was to blame. The interior is very tough, and cleans up very easily, so it will last throughout almost anything. I know that I will drive this car until it dies, and it will be one of the saddest days of my life, but let's hope that that day isn't anytime soon."

A great little car

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Some road noise, back seat a little cramped"

"I bought this car new and I loved this car! Good looks, fuel efficient, very reliable. What's not to love? The only reason I will be selling it is that I now live in an area prone to flooding and I need a car that has more ground clearance. Otherwise, I would probably keep it even longer. Honda engines run forever!"

Just Do It! Buy A Honda!!!

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Price, reliability, style, longevity and value"

Cons: "None I can think of"

The Silver EX

"This is my second Honda and it is just as awesome as my first CRX Hatchback. You cannot go wrong with any incarnation of the Civic and I'm certain the rest of the Honda's are similar in reliability, pricing and market value. My Honda has never failed me and it looks and feels like a brand new vehicle...even after 86,000 miles and almost 18 years of driving it. People actually have left notes on my Civic asking if I'd like to sell it! It is in extremely great shape and it's always been taken care of. Having every receipt for services and any replacements or repairs through the years is certainly a good way to go. This car may not be worth too much in dollars and cents in today's marketplace but it's worth a million bucks to me because it simply never fails to provide all that I have come to expect from a Honda. It really has no flaws in performance or design and it's a pleasure to drive. If and when I sell it the next owner can bank on having an entirely new life from this vehicle and should keep it for many years to come if they maintain it as I have. I cannot say enough about my Honda...but I know I'd buy it again with no questions asked!"

The Silver EX

best vehicle for the money

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

"excellent, dependable and economical, great value"

Cons: "not much only two cup holders and yea thats it"

"I have had this car for around seven year being a male i have used this car to its full potential and i have only had to change the timing belt and the alternator. if your looking for a car that will save you money and look good at the same time the Honda Civic is the way to go. BEST CAR EVER!!"

Thirteen Years Old and Original Owner

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

"I owned 2 cars previous to this one and I am satisfied with Honda cars. Sure, I have the oil changes, tire rotations, battery changes, windshield wiper changes, etc. Since I live in a four-season state, snow contributed to rough conditions resulting in fender benders, but not major. Still a strong car that runs smoothe, and its dependable. Hondas are unfortunately big targets for stolen cars and mine fell prey to it. Got it back but with costly enterior damages. I'm making my trips to the Honda Dealer to have it repaired. Honda takes care of their customers, so I know they are taking care of my car. Always satisfied with my car as it runs well as usual."

best car I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "everything, especialy handling."

Cons: "adequate power, but no speedster."

"The car that is too tough to die. You can't kill this car. The engine is a baby at 151000 miles. Comfortable with a moon roof. My first impression was that I was riding in a little BMW, not a Honda. Superior handling saved me from some close calls on highways. The new ones don't have as much room for me, since I am 6'5". This is a 250,000 mile car. If you can get one, change the timing belt right off, and your good for 100,000 miles!"

Awesome car

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy, reliability"

"I love this civic. Gets 37-40 mpg. Runs and drives great."