1998 Honda Civic

Based on 1159 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Honda Civic SI

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

"I Don't Have too much to say, But I just love hondas. Specially the SI I won't buy any other vehicle that is not honda or Acura. Best car's ever built They are relyable in every aspect. Thank God for a verry awsome car:))"

Long but honest review

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, VTEC, Peppy, cheap to fix, beautiful"

Cons: "Price"

"The first car of my life was a 1998 Honda accord LX, I beat the stuffing out of it and even wrecked it 3 times (I was a crazy kid). Anyways the car held up like a champ and never had any problems with it (amazingly) and I thought every car I bought would run like that. Boy was I wrong. I ran into a bit of money when I turned 18 so I decided to buy a new car. I went American and had every problem in the world and never wrecked it. Long story short I went back to Honda. I bought this civic with 144,000 miles on it for 4,200 dollars 2 years ago, since then I have put almost 15 thousand miles on it and had basically no issues (aside from two belts (AC and power steering, which were only 15 bucks a piece). I put Lucas transmission fluid in when I bought it (even though there wasn't any problems with the transmission that I could tell). As well as the Lucas oil engine and valve cleaner. Of course 4,200 was a lot more then I wanted to spend on a 10 year old car, however this car has been a blessing in disguise ever since I bought it. This was the only Honda I could find in town around my price limit and it had a VTEC so I went for it (even thought it was an auto trans). I think the price is actually quite worth it when you consider all the money you will sink into a used American car. I put a new muffler (not an obnoxiously loud one) that added a few hp and a cool air intake which also added a few hp and I find the car to be quite peppy. Especially for a 1.6 Liter. Most people don't believe me when I told them it was only 1.6 liters. I get about 40 mpg on the highway and 30 in the city when I drive her easy."

This car is my rock!

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "dependable, great value, economical gas mileage"

Cons: "cup holder leaves a little to be desired"

"I have traveled extensively with this car over the years. She has proven to be one of the few things in my life that I can truly rely on. Maintenance is low and little repairs over the years. She runs like a champ, and loves the highway! I would buy this model over and over again. The 4 doors give a little more room and the trunk is huge. Driveability and braking are fantastic! I am height-challenged, but this car is very easy to see over the hood and adjusts for leg-length and height of the driver. Solid like a rock!"

Best car we have owned.

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "Super car. Great gas mileage."

Cons: "Little slow power wise but who cares."

"My wife loves this car. I have repeatedly offered to buy her a new one and the answer is "NO". 117,000 trouble free miles. I take good care of it and faithfully change the oil. 35 per gallon on the road. Sure, it is a little underpowered compared to today,s models but so what? Yes we do tend to hang onto a good car when we have it."

Love her

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "42 mpg highway and 30 in town mpg. Awesome!"

Cons: "No cons"

"Have driven my honda civic from Connecticut to California 6 times and logged 110,000 miles on it. It's a 1999 and it runs like new. I would recommend this to anybody getting their first car. (personally, I like them better than the new civics)"

Solid Little Car

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, fantastic gas mileage!"

Cons: "It's getting old :("

"We got this car as a gift from my grandpa (he was first owner- we got it with 80k on it) and will have had it for 5 years this winter. I had it at college for 2 years after my brothers were done with it in high school. We have had to do very little maintenance on it and it has gotten me to work on my 45 mile-one way commute for the last year. Feels well built and keeps on trucking. It even does well in the winter! The gas mileage is still stellar (~35mpg, mostly hwy)- one of the reasons that I don't want to get rid of it, just because of the gas mileage! Very nice little starter car. I even have a friend who has the IDENTICAL car and he loves it just as much!"

great car for 16 years

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Gas Mileage, reliability, turning radius, comfort"

Cons: "the visor is falling apart"

"This car is great. I have had it for over 16 years and it has never broken down; it's needed only minor adjustments and has had good gas mileage even at this advanced age."

Best car I ever owned

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

"I love this car for its fuel efficiency and reliability. After a quarter of a million miles, it still gets 39-40mpg highway and 34-36mph around town. It has had virtually no issues at all except regular maintenance. My previous car was a Honda Civic, and my next car will be a Honda Civic."

slightly dissapointed

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I purchased my SI in 2003 with 36000 miles on it. This car has been driven gently and well cared for inside and out. The first 40,000 miles driven were maintenance free but i have put a lot of money on it since then. Replaced the factory ECU $1300, clutch $900, 02 sensor $300, and muffler two times $250+. Compared to a chevy or ford i guess i could call my SI reliable but after researching it for months and eventually making the purchase in 2003 i did not anticipate one thing. Everytime i have had work done on this car its an average of 35% more expensive than a regular civic(ive had many callbacks on wrong estimates). From the tires being special to the clutch to the timing belt all of it was much higher in price than a comparable 2000 civic. I have never neglected maintaining this vehicle, synthetic oil change every 3000 miles and preventitive maintenance list 4 pages long. All this at 100,000 and the car seems to keep having problems. I will try another car brand for my next vehicle."

Most reliable car ever!

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"I am the second owner of my 1997 Honda Civic EX. When i bought the car, it had about 55K miles on it and now it has 216,100 miles on it. Just did the usual tune up, oil change and tire rotations and this car would keep on going. Honda should call the Civic the "energy bunny"! because the civic keeps on going and going and going.... But I love this car... I don't have to do a lot of things to it and it would live forever, I swear! I don't have to buy a new transmission or engine like domestic cars, such as the ford escort or the dodge neon or the chevrolet cavalier. I would always stick to imports now!"

Dependable, zippy, age 12 (I'll gladly keep it!)

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I bought my 96 DX hatchback new (after a series of unreliable used cars) at age 30 when I needed reliable transportation for me and my bicycle. I never dreamed that I’d still be driving it 12 years later. It’s super dependable, and it always starts immediately – despite living in cold MN winters and never having had a garage. Mine is a 5 speed and it’s a zippy little car that’s fun to drive. Like others, I’ve had unsolicited offers to purchase my Civic. The turn signal canceller died this winter (I had it fixed), the manual window handles move stiffly when temps fall below 0, I wish I’d sprung for power steering, and I’ve replaced portions of the exhaust system 2-3 times (again, it sleeps outside, and my commute is less than 5 miles, resulting it quick refreezing) – but after all these years I consider this stuff to be minor and find it an amazingly cheap car to own. It still gets ~28 mpg in city winter driving and regularly get 40+ mpg on freeways in the summer. I’m also glad to see more small cars on the road these days! Ever year I consciously decide to keep it for awhile longer; I suspect we’ll replace our 2002 Subaru (even though I like it too) and keep the Civic. I couldn’t have asked for better!"

1996 HONDA CIVIC

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We purchased this car new in Feb. 1996 . The car still runs & drives great ! The things we replaced the most on it were the tires & exhaust ! Things we had to replace at 245,000 brake lines ,cv shafts ( both sides ) & believe it or not the rear brakes had just over 245,00 miles on them & the cv shafts had over 245,000 miles on them ( They were ORIGINAL ! ! ! ! The best thing I can tell you is to change your oil every 3000 miles & do the timing belt ,water pump & your tune ups !! This is my dads car & he is 62 & still drives it 60-100 miles a day .He gets in it and drives to Long Island & Maine , (he said the mileage does not scare him & he is getting 38 -41 mpg on the highway ! ! !"

7 YEARS STRONG

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"145000K STILL RUNS LIKE NEW! ORG. BATTERY, STARTS EVERY TIME. MY FIRST HONDA, AND NOT MY LAST FOR SURE."

the perfect first car

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel efficient, and safe."

Cons: "I'd like a little more power but cant complain"

"i received a 96 honda civic ex for my 15th birthday and i absolutely adore it. its the best car for the value, its reliable, quick, and it looks pretty stylish for an 18 year old car."

uber reliable & fun with a golden engine & tranny

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "great mpg, fun, reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "some road noise, highway power"

"This is my daily commuter car - 75 miles per day - super reliabile with a sweet Honda engine & 5 speed tranny, 38 - 45 mgp. Not much torque but very tossable & mucho fun to drive with good road feel. Zippy under 50 mph if you keep the rpms up. Cheap to keep on the road. Good in snow & amazing interior room. Not much sound insulation so you get some road & tire noise. Easy to park due to its size but I wouldn't want to head-on a pickup in something so light (2450 lbs). Stable on highway. Not sure how Honda got so much right. Shame they don't make these anymore. Great econocar."

Thirteen Years Old and Original Owner

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

"I owned 2 cars previous to this one and I am satisfied with Honda cars. Sure, I have the oil changes, tire rotations, battery changes, windshield wiper changes, etc. Since I live in a four-season state, snow contributed to rough conditions resulting in fender benders, but not major. Still a strong car that runs smoothe, and its dependable. Hondas are unfortunately big targets for stolen cars and mine fell prey to it. Got it back but with costly enterior damages. I'm making my trips to the Honda Dealer to have it repaired. Honda takes care of their customers, so I know they are taking care of my car. Always satisfied with my car as it runs well as usual."

best car I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "everything, especialy handling."

Cons: "adequate power, but no speedster."

"The car that is too tough to die. You can't kill this car. The engine is a baby at 151000 miles. Comfortable with a moon roof. My first impression was that I was riding in a little BMW, not a Honda. Superior handling saved me from some close calls on highways. The new ones don't have as much room for me, since I am 6'5". This is a 250,000 mile car. If you can get one, change the timing belt right off, and your good for 100,000 miles!"

Great Car even at 260,000 miles

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Long lasting - low maintenance vehicle. Fun."

Cons: "no ashtray"

"I bought this car with 192 k on it. Aside from routine repairs, I have had no problems. The roads in Michigan finally made the front wheel fall off this summer. (I fixed the front end) But a blown head gasket is making me sell it, (pretty expensive repair for me) Already have someone to buy it though, even with the high mileage. It still gets 34 mpg, and starts right up. I loved this car."

Best deal I ever got period

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Good mpg, cheap parts"

Cons: "squirrelly on the highway in rain or wind"

"A friend of the family sold me this car in 2007 for $1000. It still runs great with over 300K on it. It is very beat up and starting to fall apart but that is my fault. I could not afford to properly maintain it. It never let me down though and the gas mileage is great! It was a little scary to drive on the highway and it would slide around in wind and rain (I guess it was just lightweight) but I never crashed it and it was always fine at speeds under 60."

This is very durable car and great on gas

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Good on Gas, fun to drive"

Cons: "interior its not like in BMW"

"This car is great on gas and its very durable the motor is unbelievable will never brake. I had these cars for long time and everyone knows that their value is a lot more than what they put on KBB."

I absolutely LOVE my Honda Civic!

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "The gas guage moves alot when driving."

"My dad recently bought my 2000 Honda Civic Ex Coupe back at the end of November for my birthday. I'm happy to say that I love my car, and I would never trade it. It has amazing reliability and gas mileage($20 to fill up). I wish I could keep it for college, but sadly I have to get something bigger.Bring on the next Honda, 2002 Honda Accord :)"

Super reliable and great gas mileage

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Super reliable and great mileage"

Cons: "Forgettable exterior style"

"I also bought my car new, 14 years ago. It has been largely trouble-free. Early on, they did issue a recall on the CVT transmission and replaced it but no problems with it either way. Despite the already pretty good EPA mileage rating, I routinely get 38 mpg and once when visiting family out of state and driving entirely on highways, I got 42 mpg. That's approaching what you get with a hybrid vehicle, for gosh sakes. Style-wise, it always struck me as a stodgy looking car and I very nearly went for a sporty looking Ford Fiesta recently until I came to my senses. I'm going with a 2013 HF Civic, which is the successor to the HX. The HF now gets 41 mpg. Only a few small gripes...I'm a 5'4" woman, the average height for American women. Yet when I pull the car seat up so my feet reach the pedals, I can't use the arm rest becus it's too far back. This should be fixed. Also, again an issue of proportions and height, the seat belt routinely wraps too high across my chest and sometimes feels like it's a little too close to my neck for comfort. I don't like the wheels on this car which are exposed to snow and rain. The rest of the car is so bland looking, why bother putting fancy wheels on it? It rusts out the drums and I had to replace one that was totally rusted out. The others aren't far behind."

Definitely a great vehicle!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, great gas mileage, trunk space"

"I've had my '99 Honda Civic LX for almost 6 years now. It's always been very reliable and comfortable. I'm sad to get rid of it soon but it's about to hit 175,000 miles and has developed a few problems that will cost more to fix than the car is actually worth now. This car has taken me on several road trips where it has always had excellent gas mileage. I've always felt safe in this car and would definitely recommend it to anyone (though you may want to upgrade to a newer model as it's 14 years old now)."

ADORED THIS CAR!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"I've owned this car for a year and was just in an accident and the other ladies Cadillac killed it. Can't find another for sale in my are and I'm very sad. This was a wonderful car. Great gas milage, realiable, compact but plenty of room inside, adorable car. I will miss it greatly."

Best Car ive ever owned

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat"

"I dont know if anyone else gets the gas mileage as i do, but since day one ive been getting 40 mpg which is amazing, the car is very fun to drive, its very reliable and its pretty quick for being a 1.6 liter. ive owned many different variety of cars in the past 8 years and this one has been the most reliable. im going to drive this car until the odometer turns over"