1998 Honda Civic

Based on 1158 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Sporty, fun, reliable, moddable, definitely a keep

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, drive on rails around corners, reliable"

Cons: "Not the safest, fastest, highest MPG car"

Front view with the upper grille block

"The 1999 and 2000 Civics are the best. 1998 and earlier don’t have motorized fan vents and no OBD2B connector. Civics after the 2000 year do not have a fully independent suspension like the 1992-2000 Civics and also suffered automatic transmission problems (7th gen) and porous engine blocks (early 8th gens). So I love my 1999 Civic DX 4 speed automatic. My mother got it for me and at first I didn’t like it at all compared to a 2006 Forester, but it was my first car and over time I grew to like it after I discovered modding. Visibility in this Civic is much better than any other car I've been in. Very small blind spots. It is taffeta white with black trim. Lots of black trim, with a small black “POLICE INTERCEPTOR” sticker below the left tail lights. I first didn’t like the understeer, so, I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and that helped incredibly. Now the car is on rails around corners. Helped further by the best all season tires I could buy (Continental DWS). The road feel is amazing with perfect road feedback from the hydraulic steering. Next, I didn’t like the headlights, too dim. So, I put in 55 watt 5000K (White output) HIDs. Totally awesome. I also put in 35 watt HIDs for the reverse lights so I can see well when backing out of weird areas. Also a bright 16 LED dome light and underseat/trunk CCFL tubes for illumination. The engine made a chattering noise at certain RPMs when cold, so I switched the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and then the chatter went away and oil consumption is near zero. I then installed a complete train horn system under the hood, and a genuine train bell under the driver’s side rear bumper and a high output alternator and huge inverter so I can power big appliances with my car. I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper (Shocker train horns). There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The car now has 232,100 miles on it with an automatic. I change all fluids regularly including the brakes, PS, tranny, engine oil and coolant to ensure no unnecessary wear or corrosion occurs. Very cheap and easy to do by myself on this car. The only wear on the car are the Rear Trailing Arm bushings, but they aren't completely worn out yet. It'll cost about $340 to get the bushing replaced. Also the ignition switch is showing signs of wear but that part is only about $40 and easy to do myself. Performance; Phenomenal stability and great cornering abilities. With the big rear sway bar you can get the rear end loose and it's easy to recover and control. In a straight line; not fast. Helps that I can put the transmission in “2nd” and it will stay in 2nd all the way until 70MPH at around 7000RPM! So it isn't entirely gutless. The transmission does lockup so you can get fuel economy on the highway. So it has good performance from 30-38MPG (top of 1st gear) and 50MPH-70MPH (top of 2nd gear). In the summer you can get around 32MPG in mixed conditions and 36MPG on the highway at 60MPH. In the winter, about 29MPG mixed, 32MPG highway. Comfort; The front seat required a beaded seat cover to be comfortable, but after that it is great. But after a few hours I do need to stretch Very little rattles, doesn't complain when I abuse it. Stock brakes are good and easy to replace yourself. Don't forget to replace the timing belt regularly because if it slips, the engine may be destroyed. I plan on keeping this car forever, but if it ever breaks I'll probably get an AWD plug-in hybrid, or buy another identical Civic for a few grand and swap the mods to the other car."

My video

Front view with the upper grille block

Using the horn of my car in a long tunnel

I loved this car

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Reason: It was stolen and found stripped in Aug. 2010

Pros: "Gas mileage, incredible reliability, easy and affordable to maintain, peppy, and fun to drive."

Cons: "Lack of any luxury, high demand makes it expensive to buy for such an old car, high theft rate."

"Sadly, last August my silver 99 EX coupe was stolen, and later found completely stripped. I never felt more confident in a vehicle to get me somewhere reliably, no matter how high the mileage. I bought it with 110k miles, and went trouble free 50k miles before the theft. Maintaining car was cheap, easy, and it felt bulletproof. The only thing I ever worried about was the auto transmission, which is known to fail, so I changed the fluid every 15k miles with ONLY Honda transmission fluid. This is such a great car for reliability and gas mileage. Even my 126hp EX got 38-40mpg highway with automatic transmission. Just keep an eye on it if you buy one that's cosmetically in great condition. I'd have bought another one, but couldn't justify spending $3-$4000 for a car this old. I also wouldn't buy a never one because where I live, they get stolen all the time. I truly miss my Civic though. One of the best cars I ever owned."

Best Car Ever Built

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"I owned a 1998 civi for 3 years i got it in 2004 and loved it. it was the best car ive ever owned. It had 120k on it when i got it and it had 160k on it when i traded it. There wasnt one thina worng with it. I traded it only because i need a bigger car cause i had twins and i miss it every day. I wish i still had it. I have never owned a more reliable car than that one."

Most Reliable Car you could ever buy

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, great MPG, smooth in old age"

Cons: "Lack of interior electronic features"

"First off, I own the base model DX sedan, there are no flashy features, but there are so many definite pros to this car that I could never list them all. Mine in particular is a manual, and it is the easiest manual you could ever drive in your life, period. The car, even though it has 195,000 miles on it, drives so well, it is incredibly smooth. I generally drive on the backroads on the rolling hills of Virginia, even then I get 39 MPG, the lowest I have gotten was 33 MPG, and I think the quality of the gas was to blame. The interior is very tough, and cleans up very easily, so it will last throughout almost anything. I know that I will drive this car until it dies, and it will be one of the saddest days of my life, but let's hope that that day isn't anytime soon."

love my honda!

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "if you take care of it, it will run forever"

Cons: "the plastic peices will be the first things to go"

"I have had this car for 5 years and bought it with 75,000 miles on it and I have loved it through every mile. I have always kept up on regular maintenance and feel I would have no problem driving till it had 200,000 miles on it. This car has always been reliable and the only way ill give it up is for a new Honda Civic."