1997 Honda Civic

Based on 1171 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Best car we have owned.

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "Super car. Great gas mileage."

Cons: "Little slow power wise but who cares."

"My wife loves this car. I have repeatedly offered to buy her a new one and the answer is "NO". 117,000 trouble free miles. I take good care of it and faithfully change the oil. 35 per gallon on the road. Sure, it is a little underpowered compared to today,s models but so what? Yes we do tend to hang onto a good car when we have it."

Love her

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "42 mpg highway and 30 in town mpg. Awesome!"

Cons: "No cons"

"Have driven my honda civic from Connecticut to California 6 times and logged 110,000 miles on it. It's a 1999 and it runs like new. I would recommend this to anybody getting their first car. (personally, I like them better than the new civics)"

Solid Little Car

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, fantastic gas mileage!"

Cons: "It's getting old :("

"We got this car as a gift from my grandpa (he was first owner- we got it with 80k on it) and will have had it for 5 years this winter. I had it at college for 2 years after my brothers were done with it in high school. We have had to do very little maintenance on it and it has gotten me to work on my 45 mile-one way commute for the last year. Feels well built and keeps on trucking. It even does well in the winter! The gas mileage is still stellar (~35mpg, mostly hwy)- one of the reasons that I don't want to get rid of it, just because of the gas mileage! Very nice little starter car. I even have a friend who has the IDENTICAL car and he loves it just as much!"

great car for 16 years

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Gas Mileage, reliability, turning radius, comfort"

Cons: "the visor is falling apart"

"This car is great. I have had it for over 16 years and it has never broken down; it's needed only minor adjustments and has had good gas mileage even at this advanced age."

Best car I ever owned

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

"I love this car for its fuel efficiency and reliability. After a quarter of a million miles, it still gets 39-40mpg highway and 34-36mph around town. It has had virtually no issues at all except regular maintenance. My previous car was a Honda Civic, and my next car will be a Honda Civic."

slightly dissapointed

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I purchased my SI in 2003 with 36000 miles on it. This car has been driven gently and well cared for inside and out. The first 40,000 miles driven were maintenance free but i have put a lot of money on it since then. Replaced the factory ECU $1300, clutch $900, 02 sensor $300, and muffler two times $250+. Compared to a chevy or ford i guess i could call my SI reliable but after researching it for months and eventually making the purchase in 2003 i did not anticipate one thing. Everytime i have had work done on this car its an average of 35% more expensive than a regular civic(ive had many callbacks on wrong estimates). From the tires being special to the clutch to the timing belt all of it was much higher in price than a comparable 2000 civic. I have never neglected maintaining this vehicle, synthetic oil change every 3000 miles and preventitive maintenance list 4 pages long. All this at 100,000 and the car seems to keep having problems. I will try another car brand for my next vehicle."

Most reliable car ever!

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"I am the second owner of my 1997 Honda Civic EX. When i bought the car, it had about 55K miles on it and now it has 216,100 miles on it. Just did the usual tune up, oil change and tire rotations and this car would keep on going. Honda should call the Civic the "energy bunny"! because the civic keeps on going and going and going.... But I love this car... I don't have to do a lot of things to it and it would live forever, I swear! I don't have to buy a new transmission or engine like domestic cars, such as the ford escort or the dodge neon or the chevrolet cavalier. I would always stick to imports now!"

Dependable, zippy, age 12 (I'll gladly keep it!)

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I bought my 96 DX hatchback new (after a series of unreliable used cars) at age 30 when I needed reliable transportation for me and my bicycle. I never dreamed that I’d still be driving it 12 years later. It’s super dependable, and it always starts immediately – despite living in cold MN winters and never having had a garage. Mine is a 5 speed and it’s a zippy little car that’s fun to drive. Like others, I’ve had unsolicited offers to purchase my Civic. The turn signal canceller died this winter (I had it fixed), the manual window handles move stiffly when temps fall below 0, I wish I’d sprung for power steering, and I’ve replaced portions of the exhaust system 2-3 times (again, it sleeps outside, and my commute is less than 5 miles, resulting it quick refreezing) – but after all these years I consider this stuff to be minor and find it an amazingly cheap car to own. It still gets ~28 mpg in city winter driving and regularly get 40+ mpg on freeways in the summer. I’m also glad to see more small cars on the road these days! Ever year I consciously decide to keep it for awhile longer; I suspect we’ll replace our 2002 Subaru (even though I like it too) and keep the Civic. I couldn’t have asked for better!"

1996 HONDA CIVIC

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We purchased this car new in Feb. 1996 . The car still runs & drives great ! The things we replaced the most on it were the tires & exhaust ! Things we had to replace at 245,000 brake lines ,cv shafts ( both sides ) & believe it or not the rear brakes had just over 245,00 miles on them & the cv shafts had over 245,000 miles on them ( They were ORIGINAL ! ! ! ! The best thing I can tell you is to change your oil every 3000 miles & do the timing belt ,water pump & your tune ups !! This is my dads car & he is 62 & still drives it 60-100 miles a day .He gets in it and drives to Long Island & Maine , (he said the mileage does not scare him & he is getting 38 -41 mpg on the highway ! ! !"

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"this is my only vehicle. i am in construction, requiring me to drive on average 1 hour to work. sometimes for a few weeks its closer to 2 hours each way. i bought this car in december, and it has lasted with no problems. it has rust on the engine and muffler, probably from being near the ocean in a past life. or the owner lived near snow and did not wash the salt off in the winter."