1997 Honda Civic

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Most Reliable Car you could ever buy

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, great MPG, smooth in old age"

Cons: "Lack of interior electronic features"

"First off, I own the base model DX sedan, there are no flashy features, but there are so many definite pros to this car that I could never list them all. Mine in particular is a manual, and it is the easiest manual you could ever drive in your life, period. The car, even though it has 195,000 miles on it, drives so well, it is incredibly smooth. I generally drive on the backroads on the rolling hills of Virginia, even then I get 39 MPG, the lowest I have gotten was 33 MPG, and I think the quality of the gas was to blame. The interior is very tough, and cleans up very easily, so it will last throughout almost anything. I know that I will drive this car until it dies, and it will be one of the saddest days of my life, but let's hope that that day isn't anytime soon."

A great little car

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Some road noise, back seat a little cramped"

"I bought this car new and I loved this car! Good looks, fuel efficient, very reliable. What's not to love? The only reason I will be selling it is that I now live in an area prone to flooding and I need a car that has more ground clearance. Otherwise, I would probably keep it even longer. Honda engines run forever!"

Just Do It! Buy A Honda!!!

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Price, reliability, style, longevity and value"

Cons: "None I can think of"

The Silver EX

"This is my second Honda and it is just as awesome as my first CRX Hatchback. You cannot go wrong with any incarnation of the Civic and I'm certain the rest of the Honda's are similar in reliability, pricing and market value. My Honda has never failed me and it looks and feels like a brand new vehicle...even after 86,000 miles and almost 18 years of driving it. People actually have left notes on my Civic asking if I'd like to sell it! It is in extremely great shape and it's always been taken care of. Having every receipt for services and any replacements or repairs through the years is certainly a good way to go. This car may not be worth too much in dollars and cents in today's marketplace but it's worth a million bucks to me because it simply never fails to provide all that I have come to expect from a Honda. It really has no flaws in performance or design and it's a pleasure to drive. If and when I sell it the next owner can bank on having an entirely new life from this vehicle and should keep it for many years to come if they maintain it as I have. I cannot say enough about my Honda...but I know I'd buy it again with no questions asked!"

The Silver EX

best vehicle for the money

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

"excellent, dependable and economical, great value"

Cons: "not much only two cup holders and yea thats it"

"I have had this car for around seven year being a male i have used this car to its full potential and i have only had to change the timing belt and the alternator. if your looking for a car that will save you money and look good at the same time the Honda Civic is the way to go. BEST CAR EVER!!"

Thirteen Years Old and Original Owner

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

"I owned 2 cars previous to this one and I am satisfied with Honda cars. Sure, I have the oil changes, tire rotations, battery changes, windshield wiper changes, etc. Since I live in a four-season state, snow contributed to rough conditions resulting in fender benders, but not major. Still a strong car that runs smoothe, and its dependable. Hondas are unfortunately big targets for stolen cars and mine fell prey to it. Got it back but with costly enterior damages. I'm making my trips to the Honda Dealer to have it repaired. Honda takes care of their customers, so I know they are taking care of my car. Always satisfied with my car as it runs well as usual."

best car I ever owned

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "everything, especialy handling."

Cons: "adequate power, but no speedster."

"The car that is too tough to die. You can't kill this car. The engine is a baby at 151000 miles. Comfortable with a moon roof. My first impression was that I was riding in a little BMW, not a Honda. Superior handling saved me from some close calls on highways. The new ones don't have as much room for me, since I am 6'5". This is a 250,000 mile car. If you can get one, change the timing belt right off, and your good for 100,000 miles!"

Awesome car

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy, reliability"

"I love this civic. Gets 37-40 mpg. Runs and drives great."

Great Little Car

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "cheap on gas, oil, tires, and reliable"

Cons: "small oil leak it's only a 2 door"

"This car I have owned for 3 years haven't had any issues with it. Drove it to texas and back twice within the first 2 months of owning it. Ac works great, cheap on gas 30mpg, easy to drive, actually pretty good in the snow and ice, tires are cheap, oil changes are cheap, overall a very good car to own and have."

Great Little Car

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and economical"

Cons: "Road noise"

"Bought this car used two years ago and it has been an excellent ride. The civic always starts, it handles well and it sips gas. It can haul a surprising amount of stuff for a tiny car with the hatchback. The sealed bearings and suspension are also remarkable."

Sporty, fun, reliable, moddable, definitely a keep

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, drive on rails around corners, reliable"

Cons: "Not the safest, fastest, highest MPG car"

Front view with the upper grille block

"The 1999 and 2000 Civics are the best. 1998 and earlier don’t have motorized fan vents and no OBD2B connector. Civics after the 2000 year do not have a fully independent suspension like the 1992-2000 Civics and also suffered automatic transmission problems (7th gen) and porous engine blocks (early 8th gens). So I love my 1999 Civic DX 4 speed automatic. My mother got it for me and at first I didn’t like it at all compared to a 2006 Forester, but it was my first car and over time I grew to like it after I discovered modding. Visibility in this Civic is much better than any other car I've been in. Very small blind spots. It is taffeta white with black trim. Lots of black trim, with a small black “POLICE INTERCEPTOR” sticker below the left tail lights. I first didn’t like the understeer, so, I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and that helped incredibly. Now the car is on rails around corners. Helped further by the best all season tires I could buy (Continental DWS). The road feel is amazing with perfect road feedback from the hydraulic steering. Next, I didn’t like the headlights, too dim. So, I put in 55 watt 5000K (White output) HIDs. Totally awesome. I also put in 35 watt HIDs for the reverse lights so I can see well when backing out of weird areas. Also a bright 16 LED dome light and underseat/trunk CCFL tubes for illumination. The engine made a chattering noise at certain RPMs when cold, so I switched the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and then the chatter went away and oil consumption is near zero. I then installed a complete train horn system under the hood, and a genuine train bell under the driver’s side rear bumper and a high output alternator and huge inverter so I can power big appliances with my car. I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper (Shocker train horns). There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The car now has 232,100 miles on it with an automatic. I change all fluids regularly including the brakes, PS, tranny, engine oil and coolant to ensure no unnecessary wear or corrosion occurs. Very cheap and easy to do by myself on this car. The only wear on the car are the Rear Trailing Arm bushings, but they aren't completely worn out yet. It'll cost about $340 to get the bushing replaced. Also the ignition switch is showing signs of wear but that part is only about $40 and easy to do myself. Performance; Phenomenal stability and great cornering abilities. With the big rear sway bar you can get the rear end loose and it's easy to recover and control. In a straight line; not fast. Helps that I can put the transmission in “2nd” and it will stay in 2nd all the way until 70MPH at around 7000RPM! So it isn't entirely gutless. The transmission does lockup so you can get fuel economy on the highway. So it has good performance from 30-38MPG (top of 1st gear) and 50MPH-70MPH (top of 2nd gear). In the summer you can get around 32MPG in mixed conditions and 36MPG on the highway at 60MPH. In the winter, about 29MPG mixed, 32MPG highway. Comfort; The front seat required a beaded seat cover to be comfortable, but after that it is great. But after a few hours I do need to stretch Very little rattles, doesn't complain when I abuse it. Stock brakes are good and easy to replace yourself. Don't forget to replace the timing belt regularly because if it slips, the engine may be destroyed. I plan on keeping this car forever, but if it ever breaks I'll probably get an AWD plug-in hybrid, or buy another identical Civic for a few grand and swap the mods to the other car."

My video

Front view with the upper grille block

Using the horn of my car in a long tunnel

Yes nice condition

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

"It has a Amp and speaker and Sony Radio with rims"

Yes I would buy a Honda Civic Hatchback again!!!!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Great Gas mileage, reliable and sport car feel"

Cons: "No frills or comfort."

"I own the Hatchback DX. Love this car! I would buy another if I could find one. I have been driving cars since 1975. I owned (3) Toyota, (4)VW, (1)Chevy, (2)Ford, (2)Honda, and (1)Jeep. This car has beat them all in dependability and can take some abuse! Bought with 67,000 miles on it in 2006. Yes it could use some frills but it is dependable and gets great gas mileage I average between 35-39 mpg!!! Easy to repair. As of October 2013 almost 300,000 miles on it. Unfortunately it is showing it's age. Will probably sell/junk soon. A/C is dead, Needs new shocks/struts and the engine is staring to burn oil. It will cost more to fix then it's worth. So I am running it til it dies. Only work? Brakes, complete replacement of muffler/pipes twice, Exhaust manifold/Catalytic Converter, CV Joints, and Distributor 3 sets of all 4 tires. Oh yeah it survived hitting a deer. Only broke the front headlight and dented the hood fender a little. Found a used fender in junk yard matched perfect. IF you find one in decent shape. BUY IT!!!"

Best car for commute

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

"Good for commute"

A great car for 14 years. Miles of Smiles.

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Great car."

"The only negative is really due to a life change for me. After I had my son, it was a little inconvenient to have to move the front seat forward and out of the way to put him into and get him out of his car seat. Then, when he was older, he or I had to move the front seat up so that it was easier for him to get out of the car. This is not an issue now. He's twelve and doesn't have to sit in the back seat anymore. He has grown up in my Honda!"

Great Car even at 260,000 miles

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Long lasting - low maintenance vehicle. Fun."

Cons: "no ashtray"

"I bought this car with 192 k on it. Aside from routine repairs, I have had no problems. The roads in Michigan finally made the front wheel fall off this summer. (I fixed the front end) But a blown head gasket is making me sell it, (pretty expensive repair for me) Already have someone to buy it though, even with the high mileage. It still gets 34 mpg, and starts right up. I loved this car."

BEST ENGINE

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "DEPENDABLE"

Cons: "NONE"

"ENGIN E RUNS LIKE BRAND NEW"

Extremely reliable!

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

"I love this car! My parents let me use it while I was in college and I've had it ever since. It never had any major mechanical problems (except routine maintenance). I loved it so much that I plan to buy another Civic. And it gets better mileage than cars that are 10 years newer. Can't go wrong with a Civic."

Very dependable well made car

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "Gas Milage, Reliability, Smooth Ride due to CVT"

Cons: "HorsePower, Poor Radio"

On the hill

"Bought this car in 2010 with about 116,000 miles. Since then I have only had to replace the transmission lines, the muffler, Oil/Filter, and just recently put new front brake pads and rotors on. So you can tell the only major thing would be the transmission lines, but they were simply old and dried out. Mechanically the car still runs perfect besides a belt squeak every once and a while. Gas millage is amazing with at least 33 mpg in the city and 40 on highways. One weird thing on mine is the wipers once wouldn't shut off but, after getting to the wiper motor and cleaning the connection they work fine except on low they are still touchy. Also, the car has nearly no rust on it and it's been in the north east it's whole life so that is very impressive. So I'd say overall it's a great car and can't believe how smooth it still runs. (Aftermarket headlights are recommended)"

On the hill

Best Vehicle You Could Ever Own

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

"This is is probably the most reliable and amazing car to own. maintenance is relatively cheap and as long as you keep up on regular maintenance this car will run FOREVER!"

Best deal I ever got period

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Good mpg, cheap parts"

Cons: "squirrelly on the highway in rain or wind"

"A friend of the family sold me this car in 2007 for $1000. It still runs great with over 300K on it. It is very beat up and starting to fall apart but that is my fault. I could not afford to properly maintain it. It never let me down though and the gas mileage is great! It was a little scary to drive on the highway and it would slide around in wind and rain (I guess it was just lightweight) but I never crashed it and it was always fine at speeds under 60."

Hands Down Great Car

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "quick comfortable quiet smooth great engin gas svr"

Cons: "allways lock it highly stollen car"

"I have to day out of all the cars I have been in this is my favorite I owned a bmw 530i luxurious and comfortable and the civic reminds me so much of it and I save way more money. I have people coming up to me asking 4000 dollars for my car to be honest kbb isn't doing my car any justice with pricing i've never had so many people approach me about it. its comfortable fast saves TONS of gas I can go anywhere in the us i've taken it to smog checks and mechanics and they say its like it rolled out of the dealer it runs so great you will not regret this car its way better then an +A it brilliant!"