1997 Honda Civic

Based on 1158 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Good for the commuter

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"This Civic has been good to me for the last 8 years I've had it. While the gas mileage claims seem to be a little exaggerated, realistically, I get around 375 miles per tank (11.9 gallons) for the automatic transmission, LX trim. The LX only has about 108 horsepower, so it is a little sluggish from time to time when using accessories like Air Conditioning, but I've never been in a situation where I felt unsafe or at risk in merging or driving as a result of the smaller engine. I've had some repair work done on it: Oxygen Sensor replaced in 4th year of ownership; on my 3rd set of tires, 3rd set of brakes, second windshield. It was difficult to fit things into it for college and the return trip back, but keep in mind if you aren't going to be using the extra space in the car most of the time, the Civic is a good choice because of the good fuel economy. Wintery conditions are a little shaky with this vehicle. While you DO want a FWD car for the snow/slushy conditions, the 2000 Civic's lack of a traction control or other stability features have led to several spin-outs on major highways, luckily not resulting in a collision...yet. The interior styling is a little sleepy, the car drives a little funny when you are under 1/2 tank of gas (seems harder to start, performance is different than when you have a full tank of gas, etc.), and interior room is a little cramped for anyone in the back seat and anyone taller than 6'0" in the front seats. Personally if I had to choose again, I would look into something slightly larger and sacrifice the extra mile or two per gallon I get with the Civic and look into a 4-cylinder Sentra, Accord, Impreza, CR-V, or Altima."

Perfect Car

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I bought my 1999 Honda Civic when it was 4 years old and it had 75,000 miles on it. Now it is up to 165,000 and runs just as well as it did when I bought it. This car has been perfect. Not a single major engine or other major repair in 6 years. I have the maintenance done religiously every 7500 miles and get regular oil changes. The car gets at least 32-35 miles per gallon and even more on the highway. There are no rust spots and the car still looks modern on the road. I am going to trade it in on a hybrid car and the thought of not having it any more is so so depressing. If we had a 3 car garage I'd keep it forever!! I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a good, solid, reliable car that gets great gas mileage and will run forever."

Great 1st car

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Ok to drive"

Cons: "No cup holders in the back?"

"Bought this car with 80 k on it now has about 232k on it. Same everything, yes shocks, struts, engine, tranny.. Everything, but the tranny is starting to slip, the ride is a little rough because of 232k on shocks and struts. Engine starting to shake a little but it still is running strong. Also for being 15 yrs old IT HAS NO RUST in this MICHIGAN WINTERS. It's good at hiding the rust because there is no surface rust. Fun to drive, but its 4cyl engine is a little sluggish but what do you expect for a tired car."

Awesome car, the best I ever had.

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

"We bought this Civic used in 2006 with 120,000 miles on it. As someone that was used to American made cars, this was high milage but we decided to take a chance on it. My job has led me to drive all over Pennsylvania from one end to the other on a regular basis, in all kinds of weather. It now has 372,000 miles on it. We have only done normal maintenance in all this time. It is now in the garage for the first major repairs we have ever done on it. The problem hasn't been diagnosed yet, but the car doesn't owe us anything. My wife and I are going car shopping tonight to replace one of our others---not THIS Civic---and we are looking for a used Honda Civic. They are an unbeatable value."

Exceptional Value Vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic brand new from a dealership - I had no idea that it would serve me faithfully, needing nothing other than fuel, wear items (wipers, battery, tires), and routine maintenance, for 7 years with extraordinarily high fuel efficiency and an amazingly durable interior! I am as proud of my adorable little car as I was the day I bought it. I've driven this car from Kansas to Washington DC, to Seattle, to Las Vegas, to Chicago (a dozen times or more) and to New York with never a breakdown. It has a third more than the average mileage for its age, and it just keeps on going. It never has trouble starting, never runs rough, and never dies on me. This vehicle has been one of the smartest purchases of my life. I have no doubt it will serve me well for another 7 years!"

Sporty, fun, reliable, moddable, definitely a keep

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, drive on rails around corners, reliable"

Cons: "Not the safest, fastest, highest MPG car"

Front view with the upper grille block

"The 1999 and 2000 Civics are the best. 1998 and earlier don’t have motorized fan vents and no OBD2B connector. Civics after the 2000 year do not have a fully independent suspension like the 1992-2000 Civics and also suffered automatic transmission problems (7th gen) and porous engine blocks (early 8th gens). So I love my 1999 Civic DX 4 speed automatic. My mother got it for me and at first I didn’t like it at all compared to a 2006 Forester, but it was my first car and over time I grew to like it after I discovered modding. Visibility in this Civic is much better than any other car I've been in. Very small blind spots. It is taffeta white with black trim. Lots of black trim, with a small black “POLICE INTERCEPTOR” sticker below the left tail lights. I first didn’t like the understeer, so, I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and that helped incredibly. Now the car is on rails around corners. Helped further by the best all season tires I could buy (Continental DWS). The road feel is amazing with perfect road feedback from the hydraulic steering. Next, I didn’t like the headlights, too dim. So, I put in 55 watt 5000K (White output) HIDs. Totally awesome. I also put in 35 watt HIDs for the reverse lights so I can see well when backing out of weird areas. Also a bright 16 LED dome light and underseat/trunk CCFL tubes for illumination. The engine made a chattering noise at certain RPMs when cold, so I switched the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and then the chatter went away and oil consumption is near zero. I then installed a complete train horn system under the hood, and a genuine train bell under the driver’s side rear bumper and a high output alternator and huge inverter so I can power big appliances with my car. I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper (Shocker train horns). There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The car now has 232,100 miles on it with an automatic. I change all fluids regularly including the brakes, PS, tranny, engine oil and coolant to ensure no unnecessary wear or corrosion occurs. Very cheap and easy to do by myself on this car. The only wear on the car are the Rear Trailing Arm bushings, but they aren't completely worn out yet. It'll cost about $340 to get the bushing replaced. Also the ignition switch is showing signs of wear but that part is only about $40 and easy to do myself. Performance; Phenomenal stability and great cornering abilities. With the big rear sway bar you can get the rear end loose and it's easy to recover and control. In a straight line; not fast. Helps that I can put the transmission in “2nd” and it will stay in 2nd all the way until 70MPH at around 7000RPM! So it isn't entirely gutless. The transmission does lockup so you can get fuel economy on the highway. So it has good performance from 30-38MPG (top of 1st gear) and 50MPH-70MPH (top of 2nd gear). In the summer you can get around 32MPG in mixed conditions and 36MPG on the highway at 60MPH. In the winter, about 29MPG mixed, 32MPG highway. Comfort; The front seat required a beaded seat cover to be comfortable, but after that it is great. But after a few hours I do need to stretch Very little rattles, doesn't complain when I abuse it. Stock brakes are good and easy to replace yourself. Don't forget to replace the timing belt regularly because if it slips, the engine may be destroyed. I plan on keeping this car forever, but if it ever breaks I'll probably get an AWD plug-in hybrid, or buy another identical Civic for a few grand and swap the mods to the other car."

My video

Front view with the upper grille block

Using the horn of my car in a long tunnel

I loved this car

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Reason: It was stolen and found stripped in Aug. 2010

Pros: "Gas mileage, incredible reliability, easy and affordable to maintain, peppy, and fun to drive."

Cons: "Lack of any luxury, high demand makes it expensive to buy for such an old car, high theft rate."

"Sadly, last August my silver 99 EX coupe was stolen, and later found completely stripped. I never felt more confident in a vehicle to get me somewhere reliably, no matter how high the mileage. I bought it with 110k miles, and went trouble free 50k miles before the theft. Maintaining car was cheap, easy, and it felt bulletproof. The only thing I ever worried about was the auto transmission, which is known to fail, so I changed the fluid every 15k miles with ONLY Honda transmission fluid. This is such a great car for reliability and gas mileage. Even my 126hp EX got 38-40mpg highway with automatic transmission. Just keep an eye on it if you buy one that's cosmetically in great condition. I'd have bought another one, but couldn't justify spending $3-$4000 for a car this old. I also wouldn't buy a never one because where I live, they get stolen all the time. I truly miss my Civic though. One of the best cars I ever owned."

Best Car Ever Built

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"I owned a 1998 civi for 3 years i got it in 2004 and loved it. it was the best car ive ever owned. It had 120k on it when i got it and it had 160k on it when i traded it. There wasnt one thina worng with it. I traded it only because i need a bigger car cause i had twins and i miss it every day. I wish i still had it. I have never owned a more reliable car than that one."

Most Reliable Car you could ever buy

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, great MPG, smooth in old age"

Cons: "Lack of interior electronic features"

"First off, I own the base model DX sedan, there are no flashy features, but there are so many definite pros to this car that I could never list them all. Mine in particular is a manual, and it is the easiest manual you could ever drive in your life, period. The car, even though it has 195,000 miles on it, drives so well, it is incredibly smooth. I generally drive on the backroads on the rolling hills of Virginia, even then I get 39 MPG, the lowest I have gotten was 33 MPG, and I think the quality of the gas was to blame. The interior is very tough, and cleans up very easily, so it will last throughout almost anything. I know that I will drive this car until it dies, and it will be one of the saddest days of my life, but let's hope that that day isn't anytime soon."

love my honda!

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "if you take care of it, it will run forever"

Cons: "the plastic peices will be the first things to go"

"I have had this car for 5 years and bought it with 75,000 miles on it and I have loved it through every mile. I have always kept up on regular maintenance and feel I would have no problem driving till it had 200,000 miles on it. This car has always been reliable and the only way ill give it up is for a new Honda Civic."

Best commuter car

By on Thursday, July 05, 2007

"I could not be more pleased with this car. I have been a licensed driver for 34 years and have driven over a million miles. This car is the best I have ever owned. I wish they still made them! With regular maintenance it will just keep going."

Still loving this car...

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I have a 2000 Civic VP that replaced my 2002 Chevy Cavalier. The dealer thought I was crazy to trade in a newer car for an older car. Crazy? I don't think so. My car now has 117000 miles and I drive in city traffic every day. Still getting more than 33 miles to the gallon and I love the handling. I am the envy of all of my friends when I can easily get into or out of virtually anyplace because of the great turning radius. Totally recommended."

very dependable little car

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "reliable, great mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat and little storage"

"I purchased this car one year ago with 117,000 miles on the odometer after graduating from college. My plan was to use that loan to build my credit score until I could get favorable financing terms for a newer vehicle, and yesterday I became the happy owner of a new 2013 Subaru Legacy with 0% financing. Parting is such sweet sorrow. If I weren't moving to an area with a great deal of deep snow where AWD is a necessity, I would have held onto my Civic for several more years. Over the course of a year and 14,000 miles it has been a very reliable vehicle, needing only one minor repair to the driver's side window. Despite having so many miles on the odometer, the brakes are responsive, the ride is smooth, and the gas mileage is quite high (still gets 32 mpg highway on flat roads with AC on low). Moreover, the handling is lively, and the engine has a lot of zip under most driving conditions. The one exception is steep grades, where the 4-cylinder engine struggles to pass, and the automatic transition shifts indecisively between gears. This isn't a good car for someone looking for the creature comforts that come standard on more recent vehicles. It also isn't a good car for someone who needs much cargo space or wants to drive up snowy ski hill roads or on rocky paths to remote trailheads. This is an excellent car for someone looking for affordability (sips gas, cheap to insure, low repair costs). It is ideal as an inexpensive commuter car or a starter car for a new purchaser."

Runs well and is reliable. Great tires. Stick !

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

"Well maintained. 4 new tires around 2,000 miles ago. Front brakes last year. I drive 8 miles a day no highway. Engine has never been abused, beat. Rides well. Big promotion and time to buy my dream Cooper Mini. REQUIRES EXHAUST WORK FOR STICKER. Estimate for a standard Honda exhaust $500."

I love my Civic

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pros: "Just a great car"

Cons: "None really"

"I've own this car since 80K miles. It has 200K now and is still running fine. I had to replace the trannie...not much else has gone wrong!!"

A solid economical car

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "A solid runner and very cheap on gas. Approx 28-35"

Cons: "Not extensively styled interior and lacking power"

"My civic has been run to 304,000 miles and I maintained it by factory recommendations. This being said, I have never had anything more than regular maintenance done on this car. Its not overpowering when getting up to speed on the expressway, but it always got me from point A to B. The interior is not the greatest, but it is made well. At 15 years old with extensive driving i don't have any problems with rips tears, etc. These cars do tend to rust on the rear quarter panels in salt using areas, but its been solid economical transportation."

Most reliable and cheap car to own great car!!!

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Cheap prices, great MPH, Reliable, Cheap to fix"

Cons: "not much only two cup holders and yea thats it"

"I have had this car for around seven year being a male i have used this car to its full potential and i have only had to change the timing belt and the alternator. if your looking for a car that will save you money and look good at the same time the Honda Civic is the way to go. BEST CAR EVER!!"

This car saved my life

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

"This was my first car I bought all on my own & i absolutely loved it. This car was great on gas, easy and fun to drive, and very reliable. This car handled great in bad weather w/ the snow tires i put on it. Unfortunately, though I lost this car due to being hit by a tractor trailer that ran a red light. This car helped to save my life & I walked away with being sore for a few months. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a safe car for themselves or their teenager."

1998 Civic DX Sedan

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "great price, good quality"

Cons: "needs some more power"

"I bought this car from its original owner at 80k and I fell in love with it from day one. I now have close to 84k on it and its been a few months and I love everything about it. Being the DX trim the car is so light n very chuck able around corners. I do wish it had a bit more power though because the car does feel a bit slugish uphill with the AC running. Absolutely everything runs like day one on this car. I did lower the car for handling and a better look and also added some factory fog lights and a few other minor mods. I also added a roof rack and I carry anything and everything with this car :D . I simply love it. I would recommend it to every one. BUY A CIVIC 5SPEED STICK!"

GREAT CAR!

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "Great mechanical quality!"

Cons: "Small seats for a big guy."

"I bought this car with 140k miles on it. It had been wrecked before, but fixed back almost perfectly. I can only say that now it has 245k miles on it and it is still running like new! I have spent a total of $45 dollars in repairs and that is it. Sure, a few things here and there don't work perfect, but overall it is still a wonderful car. This was my mothers car for 5 years and now it will be mine. If you need a cheap car that's going to last, this is the car. Looks good and drives good."

Love my '99 Civic :)

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Great Value!"

Cons: "High insurance premiums :("

"I love, love, love my 1999 Civic LX :) This was the first new car I ever owned, and money well spent! I ran it hard, but also abided by maintenance schedule. Great handling, unmatched visibility, zippy to drive and awesome fuel economy (still get 33 mpg!). Interior is much better quality than what Honda now offers, with not a pull/stretch/rip/tear/crack in upholstery/carpet/dash. Paint job also still looks great! Odometer is at 218,000 , and it is still a reliable ride for my teen drivers.My only wish is that Honda would bring back this design/quality b/c my experience has been so great that I swore I'd never drive anything else but a Honda, but I am very disappointed in Honda's current line."

Really amazing automobile

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Really ez and fun to drive."

Cons: "been thinking for 5min and came up blank"

"This civic was my first car, I really beat on it when i first got it and it still runs great. i can get 36mpg in the 5-speed and it also has a 10 sec 0-60. 210k on it right now and i expect it to last till 300k atleast. i recomend this car to anyone in need of reliable transportation. if you can find one with low miles grab it up you wont need to worry about a car till you crash it cause they just dont die."

great first car

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

"rides smooth and comfortable. also its cheap and can be easily modified. good for car enthusiast to build on."

Amazing!

By on Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I bought my car from a buy here pay here, you know how those go.. Lol. But my car has been absolutely perfect, other than a flat tire. haha. I have never had any issues with this car, I love it! I wouldn't trade it for the world, it is very reliable, and has never left me stranded like my Chrysler Cirrus, which was a piece, by the way. It's cute, comfortable, and candid. I would recommend to anyone. It has 135,000 miles on it, and is still going strong!"

10 years later

By on Saturday, November 01, 2008

"I've owned this car for a decade now. I fill it with gas and oil, had to change brake-pads once, three sets of new tires, and one new battery. 100k miles later, and it's still plugging along strong. I've had people knock on my door while the vehicle was parked on the side of the road, asking if it's for sale. No matter the offer, the answer is no! Zero hassles after a decade, and getting about 42MPG avg (low 37- high 45)... just can't beat it. I'll be running this thing into the ground!"