1997 Honda Civic

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Good for the commuter

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"This Civic has been good to me for the last 8 years I've had it. While the gas mileage claims seem to be a little exaggerated, realistically, I get around 375 miles per tank (11.9 gallons) for the automatic transmission, LX trim. The LX only has about 108 horsepower, so it is a little sluggish from time to time when using accessories like Air Conditioning, but I've never been in a situation where I felt unsafe or at risk in merging or driving as a result of the smaller engine. I've had some repair work done on it: Oxygen Sensor replaced in 4th year of ownership; on my 3rd set of tires, 3rd set of brakes, second windshield. It was difficult to fit things into it for college and the return trip back, but keep in mind if you aren't going to be using the extra space in the car most of the time, the Civic is a good choice because of the good fuel economy. Wintery conditions are a little shaky with this vehicle. While you DO want a FWD car for the snow/slushy conditions, the 2000 Civic's lack of a traction control or other stability features have led to several spin-outs on major highways, luckily not resulting in a collision...yet. The interior styling is a little sleepy, the car drives a little funny when you are under 1/2 tank of gas (seems harder to start, performance is different than when you have a full tank of gas, etc.), and interior room is a little cramped for anyone in the back seat and anyone taller than 6'0" in the front seats. Personally if I had to choose again, I would look into something slightly larger and sacrifice the extra mile or two per gallon I get with the Civic and look into a 4-cylinder Sentra, Accord, Impreza, CR-V, or Altima."

Perfect Car

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I bought my 1999 Honda Civic when it was 4 years old and it had 75,000 miles on it. Now it is up to 165,000 and runs just as well as it did when I bought it. This car has been perfect. Not a single major engine or other major repair in 6 years. I have the maintenance done religiously every 7500 miles and get regular oil changes. The car gets at least 32-35 miles per gallon and even more on the highway. There are no rust spots and the car still looks modern on the road. I am going to trade it in on a hybrid car and the thought of not having it any more is so so depressing. If we had a 3 car garage I'd keep it forever!! I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a good, solid, reliable car that gets great gas mileage and will run forever."

Great 1st car

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Ok to drive"

Cons: "No cup holders in the back?"

"Bought this car with 80 k on it now has about 232k on it. Same everything, yes shocks, struts, engine, tranny.. Everything, but the tranny is starting to slip, the ride is a little rough because of 232k on shocks and struts. Engine starting to shake a little but it still is running strong. Also for being 15 yrs old IT HAS NO RUST in this MICHIGAN WINTERS. It's good at hiding the rust because there is no surface rust. Fun to drive, but its 4cyl engine is a little sluggish but what do you expect for a tired car."

Exceptional Value Vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic brand new from a dealership - I had no idea that it would serve me faithfully, needing nothing other than fuel, wear items (wipers, battery, tires), and routine maintenance, for 7 years with extraordinarily high fuel efficiency and an amazingly durable interior! I am as proud of my adorable little car as I was the day I bought it. I've driven this car from Kansas to Washington DC, to Seattle, to Las Vegas, to Chicago (a dozen times or more) and to New York with never a breakdown. It has a third more than the average mileage for its age, and it just keeps on going. It never has trouble starting, never runs rough, and never dies on me. This vehicle has been one of the smartest purchases of my life. I have no doubt it will serve me well for another 7 years!"

Awesome car, the best I ever had.

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

"We bought this Civic used in 2006 with 120,000 miles on it. As someone that was used to American made cars, this was high milage but we decided to take a chance on it. My job has led me to drive all over Pennsylvania from one end to the other on a regular basis, in all kinds of weather. It now has 372,000 miles on it. We have only done normal maintenance in all this time. It is now in the garage for the first major repairs we have ever done on it. The problem hasn't been diagnosed yet, but the car doesn't owe us anything. My wife and I are going car shopping tonight to replace one of our others---not THIS Civic---and we are looking for a used Honda Civic. They are an unbeatable value."