1997 Honda Civic

Based on 1159 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

love my honda!

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "if you take care of it, it will run forever"

Cons: "the plastic peices will be the first things to go"

"I have had this car for 5 years and bought it with 75,000 miles on it and I have loved it through every mile. I have always kept up on regular maintenance and feel I would have no problem driving till it had 200,000 miles on it. This car has always been reliable and the only way ill give it up is for a new Honda Civic."

Best commuter car

By on Thursday, July 05, 2007

"I could not be more pleased with this car. I have been a licensed driver for 34 years and have driven over a million miles. This car is the best I have ever owned. I wish they still made them! With regular maintenance it will just keep going."

very dependable little car

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "reliable, great mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "small back seat and little storage"

"I purchased this car one year ago with 117,000 miles on the odometer after graduating from college. My plan was to use that loan to build my credit score until I could get favorable financing terms for a newer vehicle, and yesterday I became the happy owner of a new 2013 Subaru Legacy with 0% financing. Parting is such sweet sorrow. If I weren't moving to an area with a great deal of deep snow where AWD is a necessity, I would have held onto my Civic for several more years. Over the course of a year and 14,000 miles it has been a very reliable vehicle, needing only one minor repair to the driver's side window. Despite having so many miles on the odometer, the brakes are responsive, the ride is smooth, and the gas mileage is quite high (still gets 32 mpg highway on flat roads with AC on low). Moreover, the handling is lively, and the engine has a lot of zip under most driving conditions. The one exception is steep grades, where the 4-cylinder engine struggles to pass, and the automatic transition shifts indecisively between gears. This isn't a good car for someone looking for the creature comforts that come standard on more recent vehicles. It also isn't a good car for someone who needs much cargo space or wants to drive up snowy ski hill roads or on rocky paths to remote trailheads. This is an excellent car for someone looking for affordability (sips gas, cheap to insure, low repair costs). It is ideal as an inexpensive commuter car or a starter car for a new purchaser."

A solid economical car

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "A solid runner and very cheap on gas. Approx 28-35"

Cons: "Not extensively styled interior and lacking power"

"My civic has been run to 304,000 miles and I maintained it by factory recommendations. This being said, I have never had anything more than regular maintenance done on this car. Its not overpowering when getting up to speed on the expressway, but it always got me from point A to B. The interior is not the greatest, but it is made well. At 15 years old with extensive driving i don't have any problems with rips tears, etc. These cars do tend to rust on the rear quarter panels in salt using areas, but its been solid economical transportation."

Still loving this car...

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I have a 2000 Civic VP that replaced my 2002 Chevy Cavalier. The dealer thought I was crazy to trade in a newer car for an older car. Crazy? I don't think so. My car now has 117000 miles and I drive in city traffic every day. Still getting more than 33 miles to the gallon and I love the handling. I am the envy of all of my friends when I can easily get into or out of virtually anyplace because of the great turning radius. Totally recommended."