1996 Honda Civic

Based on 1159 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

My first car- 12 years old and still going strong!

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance, great mileage"

Cons: "Has been broken into a couple of times"

"I bought my 2000 Honda Civic DX coupe in 2005 from it's original owner. It only had 50,000 miles on it and was the perfect little car. Since I bought it the car has been in 2 major accidents and is still running excellent. I've always been good on maintenance and taking care of this little gem. I recently drove my car from Seattle to Phoenix with no problems whatsoever. It has always been a very reliable car, and I know that my next car will be a Honda because this one has treated me so well. The only thing I wish my car had was cruise control, power windows and locks. I bought the DX which is just the bare basics. Next time I'm buying all the bells and whistles."

13 years and still going....what more could I say?

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Honda Civic is the way to go!"

Cons: "Honda Civic saves you $$$"

"My 1999 Civic Si has over 180,000 miles and still running strong. Just make sure you maintence the car regularly and this car could last 15-30 years. That's why it's a Honda!"

Most reliable car ever

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, very dependable car"

Cons: "small car, low to the ground"

"This car has never left me on the side of the road, it still runs like a champ. Can't beat the honda reliabilty."

Still running strong!

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great MPG, handling, acceleration...."

Cons: "better cup holders?...that is all"

"Great reliable car, will be keeping it for a long time! This particular year was a very good year for civics..."

Fantastic

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, handling, durability, dependablity,"

Cons: "bad cup holders, ok comfort"

"Quick, great gas mileage, handles better than most new cars. Excellent engine, transmission. I beat on the car pretty good still goes, still handles well. Excellent car to have!"

Reliable, Fun, Economical!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "keeps value, fun, good mpgs, reliable as heck"

Cons: "low (can be hard to crawl into) not much else"

"Absolutely love this car. It has replaced my 1982 Civic which ran for 28 years with no engine re-build, travelling from the west to east coasts several times. I was so impressed with the longevity and fuel economy with the last Civic (total cost for gas/maintenance was $500 over three years) that I purchased the 98 Civic DX coupe. It has not disappointed. I've owned it for two years and it always runs smooth, has needed absolutely no maintenance (I change the oil twice a year) and doesn't use any oil. It handles nicely for its class - low and fun to drive. The 4-cylinder is ample and mpg is approximately 30 in the city and 40-45 on the highway. If you don't care about mpg it's not too hard to add some turbo... All around it is an excellent car and I have a hard time finding fault with it. My only complaint would be that the clutch is buried deep under the dash, and the cupholders could be in a better place. If you're elderly and don't relish crawling into a car that's approximately 6 inches off the road you may be met with a challenge. However, if you're looking for a car that will hold its value, get good mpgs, handles well and never needs maintenance, this is a great vehicle to consider."

Excellent vehicle

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "30ish mpg"

Cons: "for little people 5'10 and smaller"

"over 11 years the basics have gone bad....starter, battery, ac, actually, that is about it. Great car...going bigger...pilot?"

In a word....Awsome

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas milage"

Cons: "In one mans opinion...none"

"Fun to drive. Requires low maintenance as Honda parts seem to last forever. When parts do have to be replaced they are readily available and inexpensive. The 1.6 VTEC engine has good pick up and power. And to top it all off I have been getting 32 mpg on average."

Great car my green 98 civic lx before the hybrid's

By on Thursday, April 28, 2011

"My 98 honda civic lx 5speed 4door is the best. I purchased it new it now has 197k on it. I have taken several long trips filled 11.8 gallon tank and gotten over 520 miles at 74mph. I do my own brakes and oil changes. Replaced gas tank for $25 from junkyard and new exhast replaced for $200 this year, other than I put nothing into it besides tires a/c still blows cold. I also own a 05 with 50k I like the 98 better, wife owns an 08. If you can find one in good shape for a few grand GET ONE!! you cant beat them in gas milage, reliability and cool factor . go for a manual transmission little more pep. This civic has payed for itself a long time ago,"

Best Car EVER

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I owned this car for 12 yr and 186,000 miles and now enjoy it at 215,000 miles in my daughter's hands (when she lets me drive it). Did all routine maintenance & replaced O2 sensor - that's IT. It's the easiest car to drive and still has original clutch after teaching two youngsters to drive. Everything is in the right place and works like it's supposed to. After all this time, have found none better. Only complaint? Could've used a sunroof and cruise control. Can you say, "42 mpg driving like a demon?" Fun fun fun to drive!"

Sentimental Car

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"Parents bought this car for me back in late 97. I paid it off and it is now 2010 and I still drive the beast. The Vtec engine still runs like it did back in 97... This car went through it all. I maintained it in/out well.Got broken into 3 times, went through 5 serious relationships, 2 islands, 1 paint job, 7 jobs, 1 timing belt. It never broke down on me once! Or have I done any serious mechanical work on it besides returning the irritating fat muffler to a stock muffler. I'm selling the car and its hard to let it go because of all the memories I had in it, but I gotta let someone else drive it another 125k miles and move on to a newer car or truck. Honda made this engine last and I will only buy honda cars because of their reliability and excellence in detail and performance. The engine is practically bulletproof. Good job Honda! Don't be worried about buying these hondas after 100k miles..as long as it has been maintained well you'll be ok."

Very reliable and durable

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I bought this vehicle at 100k and have already clocked 166k miles. Still going good. No major services except the timing belt at 100k. Only service I have done is oil changes and regular checkups. Awesome reliable car!"

The Best Car for the Money !

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"The Honda Civic is the best car for the money. I have a 1998 Honda Civic with over 150,000 trouble free miles and plan to add more. I purchased the car new and have perfromed only scheduled mainteneance and replaced parts that normally wear out and need replacing, breaks, timing belts etc. Spend your money wisely!"

Bang for the buck

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I have owned my 99 Honda Civic Si for around a year and love it. The 1.6L DOHC 4 cylinder engine is very impressive. I have done a few small modifications to the engine and suspension and i can keep up with just about every v6. I drive the car hard and I still get around 27mpg. It is very reliable and I have never had a problem with it. The inside is very plain but still solid. I love driving the car and it never gets old. It is fun to walk away from new v6 mustangs and know that they paid alot more. A must drive in my book!!!"

Run it till YOU die, lol.

By on Monday, November 03, 2008

"I LOVE my honda, it is probably on of the best decisions i have ever made as far as purchases go. Its reliable, even in the Minnesota winters, its peppy enough in traffic, its efficient, it wasnt too expensive, the engine and tranny are extremely durable, the seats provide plenty of comfort and space from my 6 foot 4 inch frame, and after having it for 10,000 miles the resale value hasnt dropped more then about 100 bucks. There are only a few things i would change about this car. First i would have the seat adjustment replaced from preset increments to a twist dial like most newer cars. Second i wouldnt have put the keyless and dome light throught the stock stereo. Third, i may have been inclined to put a better a/c unit in the design, the stock one basically feels like a fan with an ice cube in front of it. For a reliable commuter, a first car, or just a fun cheaper little car for banging around, a Honda civic is perfect. It will be running clean off into the sunset long after you are dead and buried, lol."

Best car i've ever had

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Got this car brand new in 1997 for $11,000. Maintained it regularly over the past 11 years. Mine is a manual, so I get around 36 mph hwy driving and 30 - 32 in the city. Only major problems during the time i've owned it is an oxygen sensor and broken CV joint boots, which really needs to be replaced anyway after 11 years. It's still worth around $4,000, so it's held it's value pretty well over the years."

Terrific car

By on Friday, June 06, 2008

"Great car. Bought used at 50K miles in 1999, have put 120K on it with no major problems. Well maintained, it has never given out on me. No breakdowns, ever. Could probably sell it for half what I bought it for eight years ago, but with gas prices the way they are, I feel I've still got a bargain car."

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"This car is very reliable and nearly maintenance free. A sensor went out on this car and cost $600.00 for replacement and labor but ot than that, it has been relatively inexpensive to maintain and repair. I am the original owner and this is my 4th Honda that I have owned."

Best car I've owned

By on Saturday, March 15, 2008

"I have a '99. It has 120,000 miles. The only maintenance I've needed is oil changes. Very cheap to operate and cute! Great gas mileage. A little slow to accelerate but hey - it's a 4-cylinder. Very trustworthy & reliable. Holds its value."

exactly what I want

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Great car. Good gas - 35-38 mpg, handles fine, never left me on the side of the road. I've moved apartments with it twice. I always service it promptly (oil every 7k miles). Runs great, I intend to drive another 6-10 years. Downsides: not easy to get in and out if you are tall or overweight. Getting large objects in and out of trunk is tough, opening is small. Small engine leads to not much acceleration and slow going up steep high mountains."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I purchased this car new in 1998. That means that I've had it for 10 years. It's got 213,000 miles on it now. It has been an excellent car. When I purchased it new, it got 35.5 m.p.g. It still gets that today. It's really fun to drive and very comfortable."

Best first purchase!

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"After graduating college almost 9 years ago, the Honda Civic EX Coupe was my very first car purchase. I love this car, and it is the most reliable car ever. I am still driving it, and it is now 8 years old. I had it repaired once, for a minor pipe leak due to an animal biting through some wire. But other than that, it has been a great car. It's only 4 cylinder, so it's great on gas. It's comfortable and fun to drive around town. For my first car, as a new college grad, it really served me nicely. And knock on wood, it's still going, which is one nice thing about Hondas, they last for a long time."

$ave on Ga$

By on Saturday, February 23, 2008

"I have never driven a 4 cylinder car before, but I have absolutely no regret about driving this one. I've owned 5 cars in the past 5 years all V6 or I6 engines. This car can still get up a move even with an Auto which quickly downshifts. I got the 99EX. It feels like a go cart to me. The mileage is great even when dogging it through town and high speeds for long distance. At 175k on the ODO I feel like the car has just become broke in. First non-domestic car I owned as well and it has made me rethink about american cars greatly. Honda has opened new doors for me. Don't expect the car to be race material or eye candy but when your gas bills are cut in half in this time of fuel insanity you will be quite satisfied with your purchase."

Good buy

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I bought this Civic from a mechanic shop who had repaired it after an accident. The car has run very well, with only minor problems: driver door mechanism had to be fixed, and a minor exhaust leak had to be fixed. Anybody that has owned other vehicles with over 130,000 miles knows that this is remarkable. I liked the ride, and the manual transmission is very smooth IMO. Only negatives was the interior design placed the cup holder in front of the tape player, and the driver door had to be locked from the outside manually. Positives: between 28-34 mpg overall. Handled snow admirably for a small car. Very good acceleration for a 4cyl with high fuel economy."

Excellent Value

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"I bought my Civic EX Coupe new 9 years ago and have since driven it for 172000 miles. It's been through all kinds of driving, including a few snowstorms. It will cruise at 90 mph with no complaints, and it still gets 33 mpg while doing it. The most amazing thing? I haven't made a single repair! The only time it has spent in a shop was to get the timing belt replaced at 100k and the clutch replaced at 150k (although it wasn't worn out yet). Truly amazing car all the way around."