1996 Honda Civic

Based on 1158 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Good for the commuter

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"This Civic has been good to me for the last 8 years I've had it. While the gas mileage claims seem to be a little exaggerated, realistically, I get around 375 miles per tank (11.9 gallons) for the automatic transmission, LX trim. The LX only has about 108 horsepower, so it is a little sluggish from time to time when using accessories like Air Conditioning, but I've never been in a situation where I felt unsafe or at risk in merging or driving as a result of the smaller engine. I've had some repair work done on it: Oxygen Sensor replaced in 4th year of ownership; on my 3rd set of tires, 3rd set of brakes, second windshield. It was difficult to fit things into it for college and the return trip back, but keep in mind if you aren't going to be using the extra space in the car most of the time, the Civic is a good choice because of the good fuel economy. Wintery conditions are a little shaky with this vehicle. While you DO want a FWD car for the snow/slushy conditions, the 2000 Civic's lack of a traction control or other stability features have led to several spin-outs on major highways, luckily not resulting in a collision...yet. The interior styling is a little sleepy, the car drives a little funny when you are under 1/2 tank of gas (seems harder to start, performance is different than when you have a full tank of gas, etc.), and interior room is a little cramped for anyone in the back seat and anyone taller than 6'0" in the front seats. Personally if I had to choose again, I would look into something slightly larger and sacrifice the extra mile or two per gallon I get with the Civic and look into a 4-cylinder Sentra, Accord, Impreza, CR-V, or Altima."

Perfect Car

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I bought my 1999 Honda Civic when it was 4 years old and it had 75,000 miles on it. Now it is up to 165,000 and runs just as well as it did when I bought it. This car has been perfect. Not a single major engine or other major repair in 6 years. I have the maintenance done religiously every 7500 miles and get regular oil changes. The car gets at least 32-35 miles per gallon and even more on the highway. There are no rust spots and the car still looks modern on the road. I am going to trade it in on a hybrid car and the thought of not having it any more is so so depressing. If we had a 3 car garage I'd keep it forever!! I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a good, solid, reliable car that gets great gas mileage and will run forever."

Great 1st car

By on Friday, November 02, 2012

Pros: "Ok to drive"

Cons: "No cup holders in the back?"

"Bought this car with 80 k on it now has about 232k on it. Same everything, yes shocks, struts, engine, tranny.. Everything, but the tranny is starting to slip, the ride is a little rough because of 232k on shocks and struts. Engine starting to shake a little but it still is running strong. Also for being 15 yrs old IT HAS NO RUST in this MICHIGAN WINTERS. It's good at hiding the rust because there is no surface rust. Fun to drive, but its 4cyl engine is a little sluggish but what do you expect for a tired car."

Awesome car, the best I ever had.

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

"We bought this Civic used in 2006 with 120,000 miles on it. As someone that was used to American made cars, this was high milage but we decided to take a chance on it. My job has led me to drive all over Pennsylvania from one end to the other on a regular basis, in all kinds of weather. It now has 372,000 miles on it. We have only done normal maintenance in all this time. It is now in the garage for the first major repairs we have ever done on it. The problem hasn't been diagnosed yet, but the car doesn't owe us anything. My wife and I are going car shopping tonight to replace one of our others---not THIS Civic---and we are looking for a used Honda Civic. They are an unbeatable value."

Exceptional Value Vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic brand new from a dealership - I had no idea that it would serve me faithfully, needing nothing other than fuel, wear items (wipers, battery, tires), and routine maintenance, for 7 years with extraordinarily high fuel efficiency and an amazingly durable interior! I am as proud of my adorable little car as I was the day I bought it. I've driven this car from Kansas to Washington DC, to Seattle, to Las Vegas, to Chicago (a dozen times or more) and to New York with never a breakdown. It has a third more than the average mileage for its age, and it just keeps on going. It never has trouble starting, never runs rough, and never dies on me. This vehicle has been one of the smartest purchases of my life. I have no doubt it will serve me well for another 7 years!"

Sporty, fun, reliable, moddable, definitely a keep

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, drive on rails around corners, reliable"

Cons: "Not the safest, fastest, highest MPG car"

Front view with the upper grille block

"The 1999 and 2000 Civics are the best. 1998 and earlier don’t have motorized fan vents and no OBD2B connector. Civics after the 2000 year do not have a fully independent suspension like the 1992-2000 Civics and also suffered automatic transmission problems (7th gen) and porous engine blocks (early 8th gens). So I love my 1999 Civic DX 4 speed automatic. My mother got it for me and at first I didn’t like it at all compared to a 2006 Forester, but it was my first car and over time I grew to like it after I discovered modding. Visibility in this Civic is much better than any other car I've been in. Very small blind spots. It is taffeta white with black trim. Lots of black trim, with a small black “POLICE INTERCEPTOR” sticker below the left tail lights. I first didn’t like the understeer, so, I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and that helped incredibly. Now the car is on rails around corners. Helped further by the best all season tires I could buy (Continental DWS). The road feel is amazing with perfect road feedback from the hydraulic steering. Next, I didn’t like the headlights, too dim. So, I put in 55 watt 5000K (White output) HIDs. Totally awesome. I also put in 35 watt HIDs for the reverse lights so I can see well when backing out of weird areas. Also a bright 16 LED dome light and underseat/trunk CCFL tubes for illumination. The engine made a chattering noise at certain RPMs when cold, so I switched the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and then the chatter went away and oil consumption is near zero. I then installed a complete train horn system under the hood, and a genuine train bell under the driver’s side rear bumper and a high output alternator and huge inverter so I can power big appliances with my car. I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper (Shocker train horns). There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The car now has 232,100 miles on it with an automatic. I change all fluids regularly including the brakes, PS, tranny, engine oil and coolant to ensure no unnecessary wear or corrosion occurs. Very cheap and easy to do by myself on this car. The only wear on the car are the Rear Trailing Arm bushings, but they aren't completely worn out yet. It'll cost about $340 to get the bushing replaced. Also the ignition switch is showing signs of wear but that part is only about $40 and easy to do myself. Performance; Phenomenal stability and great cornering abilities. With the big rear sway bar you can get the rear end loose and it's easy to recover and control. In a straight line; not fast. Helps that I can put the transmission in “2nd” and it will stay in 2nd all the way until 70MPH at around 7000RPM! So it isn't entirely gutless. The transmission does lockup so you can get fuel economy on the highway. So it has good performance from 30-38MPG (top of 1st gear) and 50MPH-70MPH (top of 2nd gear). In the summer you can get around 32MPG in mixed conditions and 36MPG on the highway at 60MPH. In the winter, about 29MPG mixed, 32MPG highway. Comfort; The front seat required a beaded seat cover to be comfortable, but after that it is great. But after a few hours I do need to stretch Very little rattles, doesn't complain when I abuse it. Stock brakes are good and easy to replace yourself. Don't forget to replace the timing belt regularly because if it slips, the engine may be destroyed. I plan on keeping this car forever, but if it ever breaks I'll probably get an AWD plug-in hybrid, or buy another identical Civic for a few grand and swap the mods to the other car."

My video

Front view with the upper grille block

Using the horn of my car in a long tunnel

I loved this car

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Reason: It was stolen and found stripped in Aug. 2010

Pros: "Gas mileage, incredible reliability, easy and affordable to maintain, peppy, and fun to drive."

Cons: "Lack of any luxury, high demand makes it expensive to buy for such an old car, high theft rate."

"Sadly, last August my silver 99 EX coupe was stolen, and later found completely stripped. I never felt more confident in a vehicle to get me somewhere reliably, no matter how high the mileage. I bought it with 110k miles, and went trouble free 50k miles before the theft. Maintaining car was cheap, easy, and it felt bulletproof. The only thing I ever worried about was the auto transmission, which is known to fail, so I changed the fluid every 15k miles with ONLY Honda transmission fluid. This is such a great car for reliability and gas mileage. Even my 126hp EX got 38-40mpg highway with automatic transmission. Just keep an eye on it if you buy one that's cosmetically in great condition. I'd have bought another one, but couldn't justify spending $3-$4000 for a car this old. I also wouldn't buy a never one because where I live, they get stolen all the time. I truly miss my Civic though. One of the best cars I ever owned."

Best Car Ever Built

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"I owned a 1998 civi for 3 years i got it in 2004 and loved it. it was the best car ive ever owned. It had 120k on it when i got it and it had 160k on it when i traded it. There wasnt one thina worng with it. I traded it only because i need a bigger car cause i had twins and i miss it every day. I wish i still had it. I have never owned a more reliable car than that one."

Most Reliable Car you could ever buy

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, great MPG, smooth in old age"

Cons: "Lack of interior electronic features"

"First off, I own the base model DX sedan, there are no flashy features, but there are so many definite pros to this car that I could never list them all. Mine in particular is a manual, and it is the easiest manual you could ever drive in your life, period. The car, even though it has 195,000 miles on it, drives so well, it is incredibly smooth. I generally drive on the backroads on the rolling hills of Virginia, even then I get 39 MPG, the lowest I have gotten was 33 MPG, and I think the quality of the gas was to blame. The interior is very tough, and cleans up very easily, so it will last throughout almost anything. I know that I will drive this car until it dies, and it will be one of the saddest days of my life, but let's hope that that day isn't anytime soon."

love my honda!

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "if you take care of it, it will run forever"

Cons: "the plastic peices will be the first things to go"

"I have had this car for 5 years and bought it with 75,000 miles on it and I have loved it through every mile. I have always kept up on regular maintenance and feel I would have no problem driving till it had 200,000 miles on it. This car has always been reliable and the only way ill give it up is for a new Honda Civic."