1996 Honda Civic

Based on 1149 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

I'd buy it again!

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

"This has been a great little all purpose vehicle. I've gotten good mileage and performance. Good pickup from stopped position. I was original owner and would not be selling it but it outlasted me(age). For an older person, the non-power steering makes it a little more difficult to operate. Which is why I gave it a 9 rather than a 10 in that category. The other 9 rating was for comfort. Somehow, the design of the seat was incompatible with my bad back. This car has given me 17 years of great service. I would recommend it to anyone (except the elderly)."

Perfect Little City Car

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Reliable, Somewhat fun with a manual"

Cons: "Slightly uncomfortable and loud on long trips"

"I have owned this car for nearly 5 years now, and have put approximately 50k on it since purchase. Mine is the 4dr LX model, with 5-speed manual transmission. Let's start with what it is like to drive. There is plenty of power in 1st and 2nd gear in town, but power does noticeably taper off at highway speeds. Passing someone on a two lane road typically requires a 5th to 3rd downshift. I don't think I would purchase this car with an automatic, there just isn't enough power there. The steering is quite heavy for a small car. I tend to like this except at very low speeds. The weight of the steering gives it a somewhat sporty feel, unlike modern economy cars that all have far too boosted of steering in my opinion. The brakes work well(no abs though). It stops confidently and quickly, though it does require significant pedal effort. The clutch is also somewhat heavy for a small car, but it does offer a lot of feedback and has a nice engagement point. The shifter is excellent. The car snaps into gears with a couple of fingers quite easily, though you can feel every gate, and will never miss a shift. The shifter is one of the best parts of this car. Now, let's move on to interior and comfort. The seats are ok, though they do get a little uncomfortable on long trips. My wife is much shorter than me, and doesn't seem to have as much trouble over long distances. My car being an LX model comes equipped with most of the creatures comforts you would want; cruise control, power windows, power locks, and air conditioning. All of these features work quite well, though the driver side power window is starting to show its age. It has gotten quite slow, especially in the cold. I will have to replace the motor soon. The car is a little bit noisy inside, but not terrible. It is after all, a very small and light car. You get noticeable road and wind noise. However, the cabin is free from squeaks and rattles even after 15 years(unlike my 2013 Toyota Sienna). The trunk is fairly large for such a little car, and will easily haul a large load of groceries, or a weeks worth of luggage for 2-3 people. The gas mileage has been excellent. I get around 30mpg city with it, and in the upper 30's on the highway. The mileage does drop off when you start pushing 70-80 mph, though this is probably due to the fact that the engine is spinning at over 3000 rpm's at that speed. The car has been fairly reliable. The exhaust basically disintegrated at 100k from the catalytic converter back. Fortunately my local O'Reilly auto parts store sells all the pieces necessary to fix the exhaust. Cost me about $250 to do the whole works myself. Otherwise, I have done front brakes, oil changes, and put gas in it. It has cost me very little to own. Insurance is even relatively cheap. Mine is starting to rust a little, but it is 15 years old. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap and reliable set of wheels. Would make a great first car for a teenager as well. I would steer clear of an automatic if you can help it. It would probably be extremely slow and frustrating to drive."

I LOVE MY HONDA a.k.a. SKATEBOARD

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "good gas mileage, fun to drive, efficient"

Cons: "NO CRUISE CONTROL"

SKATEBOARD THUMPIN STEREO......

"I LOVE HONDAS used to own a 1975 Honda Civic (my 1st Honda) back in 85, 86, 87, that was a fun little ride as well. My 99 Civic DX Coupe is AWESOME. I have not had any major problems with it since Ive owned it, purchased in 2006. Runs like a CHAMP. I will keep it forever, it has moderate surface damage. Has a cracked windshield as well. I purchased this vehicle in Colorado Springs, CO. It has traveled to Northern Texas & now to IOWA. Fun to drive. =0)))))))"

SKATEBOARD THUMPIN STEREO......

Great car I have got new I like it.

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

"It a too door old but it run good"

Best car I've ever had

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I bought this car not too long ago, I'm very much in love with it! No complaints so far. Easy to drive, easy to fix, easy to insure and excellent gas mileage! I'd recommend this car to anyone. I've owned a Ford, Plymouth, Subaru, Kia and even an Infiniti, but this has been my absolute favorite car!"

very reliable car

By on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "size"

"very reliable car"

Best car I ever owned.

By on Friday, November 07, 2014

Pros: "Great Paint, extremely reliable"

Cons: "Wind noise, poor radio,"

"I practically live in this car. It has taken me down rutted, flooded, two tracks. I fought sand in the summer and snow in the winter. With snow tires it's like having 4 wheel drive. I wish I would have taken a little better care of it since I've met people that have gotten 300,000 miles on theirs. It never failed to start and batteries lasted at least 6 years. The only problems I ever had was replacing mufflers and brakes and I wish I would have replaced the Radio. It still gets between 30 and 35 MPG."

Selling Honda Civic 2000 EX, 2dr coup $2600 OBO

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pros: "Price, Reliable, Gas Milage"

Cons: "older car"

"Its a great commuter car (30mpg). Only selling because I blew my left knee out, will end up having surgery soon and its a stick shift. Ideally I hope to find something as good as this one. It has really served me well. 232000 miles, should go to over 300,000. All maintenance has been done by the dealership(except oil changes). Really sad to see it go."

engine is tight doesn't burn oil doesn't leak flui

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "real fun car if your a younster low profile wheels"

Cons: "no ashtray for passenger. needs Lil work"

"Needs a hood and new calipers. Engine is tight everything works. Needs a good cleaning. Smogs and has new plates. Good on highway and in town."

AMAZING CAR

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Great car, fun to drive, looks great, runs great,"

Cons: "no armrest, not very fast."

On a drive with my friend and he took an amazing picture :)

"I 100% love my car and when I say love I mean LOVE! I have had nothing but fun in my civic. Great on gas and very reliable. I got mine in standard and I have never made a better decision in my life. The only two problems I have with it. Is mine does not have an armrest for some reason. its not broken or cut off or taken off, it is just stock without it... and mine has the D16y7 motor, and is NOT very fast at all; which is highly disappointing because I have a lead foot and like driving fast, the car handles great because of the wishbone suspension corners good. Just very slow acceleration. I recommend this car to anyone looking for a first car or a fun car to fix up (like I am) and for something great for place to place it is an all around great car."

On a drive with my friend and he took an amazing picture :)

1999 Honda Civic Ex

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "agile, fun to drive, watch for modified cars"

Cons: "watch for modified cars, cup holders are mediocre"

"the 99 civic is really good bang for your buck. im a car guy so i do my own oil and work. I like my sedan because i feel like its a bit more room all around and parts are readily available. tons of aftermarket support and help available."

Extremely reliable vehicle at reasonable cost

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

"Honda Civics are extremely reliable. Have had several. Although not flashy design, very serviceable space and good safety."

Awesome car, the best I ever had.

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

"We bought this Civic used in 2006 with 120,000 miles on it. As someone that was used to American made cars, this was high milage but we decided to take a chance on it. My job has led me to drive all over Pennsylvania from one end to the other on a regular basis, in all kinds of weather. It now has 372,000 miles on it. We have only done normal maintenance in all this time. It is now in the garage for the first major repairs we have ever done on it. The problem hasn't been diagnosed yet, but the car doesn't owe us anything. My wife and I are going car shopping tonight to replace one of our others---not THIS Civic---and we are looking for a used Honda Civic. They are an unbeatable value."

Very good car

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive, good on gas."

Cons: "Small, has trouble getting up hills."

"It is a very great car considering how little they cost, mine has been used to haul people from point A to point B. not very good if you are over 6' tall. Can only fit 4 people comfortably. It is a great little car for getting groceries and running to school. Fun car to drive would recommend!"

I blew the motor and fixed it in 6 hours swap

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Easy to work on"

Cons: "Burns or leaks oil if not pristine"

"Good car super reliable, easy to work on, totaled it and it saved my life would buy another"

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

"I have owned my car for 5 years. Fun car to drive. Only downfall, I wish I bought the vtec model. Engine lacks power especially on hills. I drove my snowboarding for several years. Just get some studded snow tires and you are set."

Great car

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"NO rust power steering needs fixing a leak in it, great car great on gas bought the car in Kansas so didn't see many winters, recently fixed the whole front end of the car needs all new tires but not right away great car."

This vehicle is very reliable low mileage for a 96

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

"good gas mileage body in good shape good tires a/c works good"

Best honda civic ever made

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Reliable"

"I owned this car over 8 years and it's worth every penny I spend on it. It the best car ever. I recommend this car to anyone wants to buy one."

owned for 18yrs and still going strong!!

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

"This car is very fuel-efficient, even for today's standards (I've owned this car for 18 years; bought it as a 2-yr-old used car); I have many jealous friends :-) Love the view when I drive: I can see the road, as opposed to having a huge hood in front of me; the chairs are also high enough to give you that SUV-feeling. There is plenty head-room, so that 6' or taller people will sit comfortably, including plenty of legroom in the back seats. Car seats for babies fit and can be tied down properly without much effort. The engine lasts a VERY long time (still have the original one). I've only had to replace the fuel injector, radiator and alternator over 18 years, besides the regular maintenance of tune-ups & oil changes. Easy maintenance: the engine parts are easily accessible and replacement parts are cheap, because the car is so common. My next car? Most likely another Civic (the hybrid, this time)"

Best car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Easy to work on, precision parts, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic on door panels, expensive OEM parts"

"I bought this car used about 8 years ago. This is the longest I've owned a car in my life, all my others having had some major issue in their lifetime. This car has been a blessing. It's reliably driven me over 150,000 miles in that time and continues to press on. It's had some major issues like the ignition coil and clutch going out, and some minor ones like replacing the axles, the regulator arms in the windows (apparently these cars had issues with those), replacing the catalytic converter and O2 sensors, the arm rests caving in (my major complaint), and a minor oil leak. But compared to the problems I've had in the past with other vehicles, this one has been a dream."

Hondas are great!

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and park"

"This is our third Honda, need we say more. Drives like a car should drive. No mush, just good response."

Loved this car from day one.

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Very inexpensive. To buy and to matain."

Cons: "Not great pick-up."

"I bought my Civic new and for 16 years it has performed better than any car I have ever known. While other people are getting major things fixed on their vehicle, I am doing regular maintenance on mine. In 16 years the total cost of all major repairs I have ever had to do, and nothing was really major, I have spent less than #3000. I love this car. I will drive a Honda forever."

Love my honda

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "Affordable, reliable, great gas mileage"

Cons: "Paint oxidized horribly so it always looks dirty"

"I have loved my honda, had it for 6 years and the only repairs I've ever had to do mechanically would be normal fixes such as breaks, tires, new timing belt.... I am pretty sure if you do normal routine maintence this car could run pretty much forever! Honda's are awesome!"

Great, Reliable and Fun to Drive Car

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Reliable, Fun To Drive"

Cons: "Highway Noise, Low HP,"

"The civic is a great all around car. Great gas mileage, fantastic reliability, cheap maintenance. I have always been car savvy but this generation Civic is by far the easiest to work on. I've changed the headgasket multiple times on these by just following a service manual. I don't care what others say, this car is fun to drive, especially with the 5 speed manual transmission. It may not make a lot of horsepower or have a lot of torque, but the small rev happy motor has plenty of spunk to push around a 1 ton car. The combination of light weight and high revs is always a winner. Considering how large the tuning market is for civics, and the wide availability of parts, it's no wonder it is such a popular selling car. My car personally has Koni Adjustable Shocks and Neuspeed Sport Springs as the only modifications and boy does it bring out the capability of the chassis. The ride is better than stock suspension and it hugs corners like a beast (with grippy tires of course). If you want a well rounded, low cost, and somewhat sporty car to drive, the 1996-2000 Civic is for you."