"We bought this car new in 1994, and have driven it everywhere. It has been very reliable, relatively inexpensive to operate, and fun to drive. The cup holders were some of the first in a Civic, and they were quite flimsy (although, with care, they lasted 17 years). Good trunk capacity. Only real negative is that the engine, while peppy, was negatively impacted by the air conditioner. If I was entering a busy highway in the summer, especially on an incline, I would turn the A/C off until I was up to cruising speed. Hard to complain about a car that has kept on going for 20 years."
Cons: "Noisy. Engine problems. Lots of maintenance."
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 6
"I sold my 1995 Civic two years ago after driving it for over 230,000 miles. I had many issues with the car but I loved driving the car. See below for summary:
1. Very comfortable front seats. I once drove 600 miles in one day and it was comfortable the entire trip.
2. Great paint job. I hand washed my car and I waxed it yearly with Nu Finish. The buyer couldn't believe the paint was original. Yes, I had multiple offers.
3. Loved the look of the car. Front, back, or side. It is one sexy looking car.
4. Driving dynamic is superb. It is a driver's car and it handles beautifully. It was so fun to drive this car. You can drive it very aggressively.
5. I was getting 32 MPG (70% highway and 30% city) with the automatic transmission (wife didn't want to drive stick)
6. Loved the instrument layout.
7. Weak AC. Dealer had to fix the leak during the warranty.
8. Head gasket blew when it had 120,000 miles. Expensive to fix. Car was maintained by the dealer.
9. A whole bunch of things had to be replaced. Starter, distributor, alternator, radiator(at 140,000 miles), rear bushing, ball joints, master brake cylinder(two times), CV boots (two times) and water pump(three times).
10. Started burning oil when it hit 200,000 miles. I was adding one quart of oil every two weeks. This was the main reason for selling the car. I didn't want to spend anymore money to fix this car.
11. Car would want to stall intermittently after highway driving. Dealer and my mechanic couldn't figure out the problem. This was the second reason for me to sell the car. I had to step on gas to keep the car from stalling when it happened.
12. Engine noises and road noise are very audible when the speed was over 55 MPH. I had to turn up the stereo.
Overall, this is a great little car to own. I spent over $8000 replacing parts and fixing problems during its life time. I am absolutely certain it would be much cheaper if I had done most of the work myself."
"Original owner, Always garaged so no rust. All maintenance done by dealer. Has been driven in many states, various conditions and locations, not used to commute. Changed tires so handles well in snow."
"I have had five Honda civics. Still own 3. These are an 06 CRV, 95' EX and 97 hatchback. These are the most reliable cars manufactured. I have never experienced any problems with any of my vehicles. Other than the required maintenance these cars will last a very long time. I'm looking to sell two of my "fleet" and get a newer model used civic again. My friends are always asking me if I want to sell any of them. They know what a great car they are. I am and always will be a loyal Honda Civic customer. Also want to say to women out there that may be apprehensive about buying a car, research and know what you want. You can do it and get a great deal!"
Pros: "manual, new battery, clean title, changed oil"
Cons: "barely rust, dings, scratches, one set rims"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 8
"I have a 1995 Honda Civic LX Sedan and have had it for almost a year I bought it last summer for $3,500 made a deal at $2,000 with 156,000 miles in Kenai with one busted headlight and one busted taillight and got new headlights and taillights for the car and the only problem I've had is to replace the cylinder gasket a couple months ago, besides that she runs great!"