2002 Honda Accord

Based on 1664 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

After 14 years, I want a frame-off restoration!

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"Even after fourteen years I adore my base-model LX and mourn the fact that because of severe economic setbacks I am unable to indulge my restoration fantasy. Aside from a mysterious electrical problem which periodically drains the battery, this car has been completely reliable and has transported me hither and yon in comfort and (to my eyes at least) style. I wanted a well-engineered, high-quality car that was economical to own and operate, and the car has not disappointed. The dashboard is a text book example of inuitive design and easy-to-use controls, and despite being 6'3" I can sit upright in the rear seat. Amazing. The four-wheel double-wishbone suspension is a delight. As is the high-reving four-cylinder engine. My biggest criticism is the lack of low-end torque. And I would like a little less wind-noise at speed. I remain smitten with the combination of utility, economy, reliability, comfort and style this car has provided--even over an extended period of ownership."

Very reliable, economical car.

By on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Cons: "sun glare off dashboard to front windshield."

"Car is made well with no major repairs after 138,000 miles. Still gets 22 MPG in the city with A/C on (in Texas heat.) I baby it with oil and filter changes every 3,500 miles. Wish it had a drive chain instead of drive belt. I do a lot of the maintenance myself. Best car I ever owned. Very durable and comfortable. I gotta have reliability as wife is handicapped. Can't get stuck anywhere. 2002 was a good year for Honda."

best first car

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"the 98 Honda accord lx is the best starter car i've owned plus very easy 2 maintain and last forever mine has 195,000 miles and more 2 come but if u put a intake and some platinum tip spark plugs and injector cleaning it will run like it came from the factory"

Not as good as my last Accord...

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I had an 87 LX Accord for ten years, and it ran like a top with regular oil changes. After that, I was a huge Honda fan, however, this 98 EX 4D V6 is another story. I guess I should not expect too much from a 10-year old car, but in just the past year we've had to address a "hot start" issue (which is still not totally fixed), replace the transmission ($$$), pay the mechanic lots of money to tell us the reason our check engine light keeps coming on is because of the gas cap(?), and just yesterday as we were driving down the street, all the red lights on the dashboard came on. It seems like it's falling apart, with only 145k miles!!"

Good But Not Great

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I bought my Accord new in 1999, after many years of owning GM products because I was looking for a more reliable car. My chief complaints about my GM vehicles were that they always leaked engine fluids, required lots of maintenance and they always rusted before reaching 100K miles. My Accord now has 102K miles and the engine runs like new without any leaks! Unfortunately, I have had problems with body rust on the inside of the rear fender wells on both sides. This cost me $800 in body work repairs in 2007. I have also been disappointed with the general level of maintenance required with my Honda. I have had to obtain repairs to the pollution control system (very expensive), brakes, replace the battery and alternator, replace the radio due to defective CD unit, rear window defroster and a number of other items. This is in addition to the normal required maintenance schedule. Admittedly, my expectations have been high for a Honda, but I don't drive my cars hard so there shouldn't be a lot of problems. Overall, given the price of the car I would say that the car has been a tremendous value, but it has certainly has not lived up to the low maintenence reputation for which Honda has become known."

Luv my Honda

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"This is a great vehicle, low on maintenance, good comfort. Great acceleration for a 4 cyc, even at highway speeds. The only down fall is the paint on this car, it is of poor quality, as it fades away & losses it's finish. Honda never accept reponsibility for this."

Honda did it right!

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "It's quiet, fun to drive, dependable, awesome car"

Cons: "REbuilt the tranny at 138,000"

"This is my second 1998 Accord. Except for have the transmission rebuilt at 138,000 (Honda took a short-cut on tranny ion 1998 but corrected it starting with the 2002) the car is maintenance free. Do the oil changes as needed, use NGK spark-plugs and $30 wires (instead of the cheap ones) and the car lasts forever. Mine has 268,000 miles on it. I am thinking of upgrading to a 2002; similar body and style but with 200,000 fewer miles on it."

This car is great and I have very little problems

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Keeps going, great gas mileage, low maint. cost"

Cons: "Blind spots"

"This car is great and I have had very little in problems with it. I would recommend this car. It's like the Ever-ready battery rabbit. It keeps on going. I love this car, it has a lot of get up and go."

I absolutely loved this car!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Reason: Insurance bought it since it was totaled by head on collision

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability,"

"She was my first car and sure it didn't look too fancy, but she was definitely reliable. I had absolutely no problems with her. I reached up to 289k miles without any major problems and the gas mileage was great! I'm now purchasing another Honda since mine was totaled in a head on collision at 70mph. I came out with only minor scratches. Definitely a trustworthy vehicle."

Very Reliable:

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "great price, reliable, clean interior"

Cons: "need 1 wiper blade"

"Just bought this car a year ago, March. Unfortunately I lost my job 6mths later. i've had 2 oil change and it's been parked in my yard since October. Never had to take it to the mechanic."