2000 Honda Accord

Based on 1669 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Was Built to Run Forever

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "dependable, good investment"

Cons: "only wish that I'd bought it new."

"Bought this used Accord 10 years. I've put 260,000 miles on it myself. Maintanance has consisted of brakes, battery, starter, alternator & timing belt/waterpump. Plan to get another 650,000 miles out of this workhouse of a car. When it finally is retired, I'll replace it with another Honda!"

Honda Accord EX V6

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Excellent ride, comfort and complete satisfaction"

"I purchased this car with 97000. It has been nothing but great. I used as a commuter car and have done nothing but maintenance and the car could do no wrong. I have added another 200,000 miles and the car still drives like a champ. Although showing its abel; I believe this car can make it to a half a million miles with the right mechanic behind the wheel. I would highly recommend the Honda Accord"

Just Keeps going

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "low maintenance, dependable, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "99-02 known for trans issues if not maint. prop."

"This car is low maintanence and very reliable. Only thing I have done to this car is regular routine maintence such as timing belts every 100k,transmission fluid every 30k, oil every 5k (synthetic) and belts. All same original parts. At almost 300k she still drives like new. Look foward to another 200k at least. I know some think thats crazy but after owning a 92 and selling at 450k miles and she is still running I know that this is very much possible with proper maintanence."

Pleasant to drive, bulletproof reliability

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, roomy, safe, a joy to drive, no rust yet"

Cons: "Noisy cabin on the highway, just okay gas mileage"

"Bought this car new in 2002, and have had no major problems with it. It is wonderful to drive, light and precise steering and great visibility all around. There is a real precision to this car's handling that you notice when you drive another car. Seamless automatic transmission. With the right tires it handles snow quite well. The only repair work I have had done (this does not include regular maintenance items such as brakes, tires, etc.) was the hood release (stretched cable), and a door handle (latch mechanism). I maintain it well and drive it easy. I'm 6'3", find the seats quite comfortable. Great highway car, effortless cruiser that tracks straight and true. Huge gas tank gives it about a 500 mile range. My gripes are minor, and they are road noise at speed (on less-than-perfect highways the cabin can be loud), and somewhat disappointing mileage. I do keep aggressive rubber on it, but my average mpg is 21-22 mpg in winter, and 22-24 in summer. Best I ever saw was 31 mpg on a road trip, just once in optimum conditions with somewhat worn tires. It's usually 26-28 mpg highway. That is close to the 23/30 EPA numbers I suppose but not up to the more modern models. I plan to keep this car a few more years. All three of my brothers have or have had Accords, and all have similar stories to tell. (The one that no longer has an Accord has a CRV.)"

Great, Quality vehicle.

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good price, quality OEM parts/fluids"

Cons: "Poor quality OEM Transmission fluid, loses value"

"To sum up, I love this car. It's fun to drive and very reliable. The engine still runs strong and pushes me back in my seat when I floor it. The transmission doesn't slip, stick, or hesitate. The power steering is smooth and responsive. The radiator and water pump does a fantastic job. I have yet to have any ignition issues. Honda uses quality parts and fluids in their accords. I have a few of the typical issues with my particular model. The manual climate control unit has a short and has failed, leaving me stuck with no control over the temperature. I'm putting in automatic climate control from a 2000 EX myself since it's more reliable and pretty awesome. The check engine light stays on for no reason. You can get a free scan from autozone if you want to be sure. I'm putting in a bluetooth OBDII reader in to connect with my laptop to fix this issue as well as monitor the state of my vehicle via the ECU. The only thing that Honda puts in their vehicles that isn't so quality are the Transmissions and transmission fluid. Like I said, I have the BAXA transmission and haven't had any issues, but I put in better ATF to take care of it. The only other issue is that this model of accord doesn't seem to keep it's value very well, despite it's reliability. As a side note, for those that give this or ANY car a bad review but are quite short, it's probably not worth taking their word. Most likely, they haven't taken care of their vehicle like they should, like not changing the transmission fluid, not rotating/balancing tires, not aligning, not changing spark plugs, putting in sub-par engine oil(quaker state or penzoil), riding a flat, or even having the foot on the brakes while pressing the gas. Some vehicles can be legitimate duds, but also keep in mind the user of the vehicle. In conclusion: If you find any Honda with a strong transmission, you've got yourself a good, quality vehicle."

Extremely reliable

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I've owned this car for almost 5 years and have not had any problems so far. I leased it for 4 years and then decided to buy it (not the recommended process) because it had been so reliable and I enjoyed driving it. I'm not a big car fanatic so reliability was key for me, as opposed to performance or style. I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone looking for peace of mind in their car, as well as a great value. I've got 62,000 miles right now and can't wait to drive another 100,000 more!"

Just a wonderful car, inside and out.

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "Value, fun to drive, great AC and heater"

Cons: "Road noise"

"Bought my 2000 Honda Accord EX, 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual transmission used in the year 2006 with approximately 130,000 miles. Price was ~ $4,000. This car got me through undergrad college, graduate school, and now I think I'll drive until my student loans are paid off. This car has been reliable, fun to drive, and safe. Today it has over 180,000 miles. Other than regular maintenance (brakes, tires, timing belt, etc., I have not had to make any repairs other than my clutch system. I've replaced the slave and master cylinder, and have installed a new clutch kit, all around 175,000 miles. I hope this baby gets another 175,000 miles."

This is the best car I have ever owned!!

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "Very powerful, classy, solid car"

"I have had this car for the past 100,000 miles and it is truly the most reliable car. I recommend this car with this v6 motor to anyone that is looking for a car to drive for a long time. I think they will last forever! It would be great for a student."

Great Car !!!

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "Nice to look at, sporty..."

Cons: "Wish it got better gas mileage."

"I am the second owner of this car, I drive it 150 miles a day from the coast to the valley. I live with a mechanic so the car is always maintained well. I wish it got better mileage, with the v6 is certainly can go the distance, and has the power when you need it. LOve all the options....leather and power everything."

Good, reliable car.

By on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas, little maintenance required"

"Very reliable car with good gas mileage. Light on creature comforts and style, but it's hard to complain about a car that's had no maintenance issues since I've owned it. Spacious interior, lots of trunk room, and a very smooth ride even after 135000 miles. It's not the coolest looking car on the road, and it isn't the most fun car to drive, but it's very dependable and easy on the wallet."

2002 Transmission Problem

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Excellent handling/speed/fun to drive"

Cons: "2002 Transmission issues"

"I am told that the transmissions in the Honda 2002 era are problematic. My 2002 Honda Ex Accord V6 is great in every other way and I have enjoyed owning it. I would give it a much higher rating if the transmission were not going out. The tranny began slipping about 18 months ago, but I am still driving it. The slipping is limited to just the time between 1st & 2nd gear or when I slow down and almost stop, but need to speed back up again (ie: stopping for a red light that turns green before I come to a complete stop). I have put about 10k miles on it since I first noticed the problem and took it to a transmission shop for an opinion. It is still very drivable if driven softly. I think it will last another year, but will replace it before that time is up. I already have a new owner lined-up (family member/gift) and he is fully aware of the transmission problem but knows that the gifted car is well worth the upcoming repair costs."

Great Car !Saved my life

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Was hit the on the driver passanger door & rear by a flat bed tractor trailor truck twice & crossed 3 lanes of trafic & hit guard rail. Only bruces. Insurance would not total it so we had it fixed & I'm still driving it 10 years later. Drives just as good as it did new. Had bought for 5 star safty & v6. Both have paid off. Drives Great ! Planning on keeping it until it falls apart. So far only regular maitance required. No major work done at all. I still enjoy driving it! Drive it everywhere I go. I had no idea that I would still love it after this many years."

Awesome car - 300,000 miles on it and still going

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Great value, long lasting"

"I love this car and wish Honda made the Accord in this style again. It is the most relible car I ever owned. Still driving it back and forth to work daily."

Best car ever made in my opinion

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Interior comfort, ease of use controls, mpg"

"I'm going to admit I used to be a Ford lover, have owned a countless number of Ford vehicles and now have moved onto my new obsession, Honda! The first time I drove the Accord is was like first class compared to my previous 97 Ford Escort wagon. I had to replace nearly every component on the Ford even though I took very very good care of it, it still rotted away. This Honda I bought with low miles and I know it'll last forever. It runs beautifully, the dealer I got it from serviced it and oiled the underneath because up here Salt is a very big problem, it only has a 1" surface bubble which I plan on sanding down and re-painting, (The right way). I just love the interior comfort, I'm a big guy 6'5" and the escort was ridiculously small but economical I drive a LOT so need a reliable car with great gas mileage, this one is almost 2 times larger than the Escort it seems and gets BETTER gas mileage, go HONDA!"

Not the best looker, but great value for the money

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reason: Wrecked and totalled car. I had to sell it for parts.

Pros: "Great price, great value, great steering"

"I would totally get another 99 Accord when I get another vehicle! If it wasn't for that crash I was in, I expected the car to last another few years and possibly a hundred more thousand miles! Granted, the car wasn't the best looker (I mean, it's not the newest, most techy thing out there), but on a tight budget, it has GREAT value for the money! The parts and mechanics for the car wasn't too bad either. If you keep this car well maintained, you will have a great car for many years!"

After 14 years, I want a frame-off restoration!

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"Even after fourteen years I adore my base-model LX and mourn the fact that because of severe economic setbacks I am unable to indulge my restoration fantasy. Aside from a mysterious electrical problem which periodically drains the battery, this car has been completely reliable and has transported me hither and yon in comfort and (to my eyes at least) style. I wanted a well-engineered, high-quality car that was economical to own and operate, and the car has not disappointed. The dashboard is a text book example of inuitive design and easy-to-use controls, and despite being 6'3" I can sit upright in the rear seat. Amazing. The four-wheel double-wishbone suspension is a delight. As is the high-reving four-cylinder engine. My biggest criticism is the lack of low-end torque. And I would like a little less wind-noise at speed. I remain smitten with the combination of utility, economy, reliability, comfort and style this car has provided--even over an extended period of ownership."

Very reliable, economical car.

By on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Cons: "sun glare off dashboard to front windshield."

"Car is made well with no major repairs after 138,000 miles. Still gets 22 MPG in the city with A/C on (in Texas heat.) I baby it with oil and filter changes every 3,500 miles. Wish it had a drive chain instead of drive belt. I do a lot of the maintenance myself. Best car I ever owned. Very durable and comfortable. I gotta have reliability as wife is handicapped. Can't get stuck anywhere. 2002 was a good year for Honda."

best first car

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"the 98 Honda accord lx is the best starter car i've owned plus very easy 2 maintain and last forever mine has 195,000 miles and more 2 come but if u put a intake and some platinum tip spark plugs and injector cleaning it will run like it came from the factory"

Not as good as my last Accord...

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I had an 87 LX Accord for ten years, and it ran like a top with regular oil changes. After that, I was a huge Honda fan, however, this 98 EX 4D V6 is another story. I guess I should not expect too much from a 10-year old car, but in just the past year we've had to address a "hot start" issue (which is still not totally fixed), replace the transmission ($$$), pay the mechanic lots of money to tell us the reason our check engine light keeps coming on is because of the gas cap(?), and just yesterday as we were driving down the street, all the red lights on the dashboard came on. It seems like it's falling apart, with only 145k miles!!"

Good But Not Great

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I bought my Accord new in 1999, after many years of owning GM products because I was looking for a more reliable car. My chief complaints about my GM vehicles were that they always leaked engine fluids, required lots of maintenance and they always rusted before reaching 100K miles. My Accord now has 102K miles and the engine runs like new without any leaks! Unfortunately, I have had problems with body rust on the inside of the rear fender wells on both sides. This cost me $800 in body work repairs in 2007. I have also been disappointed with the general level of maintenance required with my Honda. I have had to obtain repairs to the pollution control system (very expensive), brakes, replace the battery and alternator, replace the radio due to defective CD unit, rear window defroster and a number of other items. This is in addition to the normal required maintenance schedule. Admittedly, my expectations have been high for a Honda, but I don't drive my cars hard so there shouldn't be a lot of problems. Overall, given the price of the car I would say that the car has been a tremendous value, but it has certainly has not lived up to the low maintenence reputation for which Honda has become known."

Luv my Honda

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"This is a great vehicle, low on maintenance, good comfort. Great acceleration for a 4 cyc, even at highway speeds. The only down fall is the paint on this car, it is of poor quality, as it fades away & losses it's finish. Honda never accept reponsibility for this."

Honda did it right!

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "It's quiet, fun to drive, dependable, awesome car"

Cons: "REbuilt the tranny at 138,000"

"This is my second 1998 Accord. Except for have the transmission rebuilt at 138,000 (Honda took a short-cut on tranny ion 1998 but corrected it starting with the 2002) the car is maintenance free. Do the oil changes as needed, use NGK spark-plugs and $30 wires (instead of the cheap ones) and the car lasts forever. Mine has 268,000 miles on it. I am thinking of upgrading to a 2002; similar body and style but with 200,000 fewer miles on it."

This car is great and I have very little problems

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Keeps going, great gas mileage, low maint. cost"

Cons: "Blind spots"

"This car is great and I have had very little in problems with it. I would recommend this car. It's like the Ever-ready battery rabbit. It keeps on going. I love this car, it has a lot of get up and go."

I absolutely loved this car!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Reason: Insurance bought it since it was totaled by head on collision

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability,"

"She was my first car and sure it didn't look too fancy, but she was definitely reliable. I had absolutely no problems with her. I reached up to 289k miles without any major problems and the gas mileage was great! I'm now purchasing another Honda since mine was totaled in a head on collision at 70mph. I came out with only minor scratches. Definitely a trustworthy vehicle."

Very Reliable:

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "great price, reliable, clean interior"

Cons: "need 1 wiper blade"

"Just bought this car a year ago, March. Unfortunately I lost my job 6mths later. i've had 2 oil change and it's been parked in my yard since October. Never had to take it to the mechanic."