1998 Honda Accord

Based on 1700 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

15 years of reliabilty

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, affordable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Oil filter a little hard to get to"

"Still has original rear brakes, muffler. Car has never failed to start, except when battery failed. Changed, all 4, motor mounts (only one was bad) at about 160,000 mi. Only routine maintenance (Timing belt/water pump @100,000 mi.) Rates as good as my previous 1990 Camry (244,000 mi) and present Altima (47,000 mi). I will keep Accord as backup car. It is worth way more than its $2700 value."

Love this car - a Honda man henceforth!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, fun ride, reliability and CHEAP to maintain"

Cons: "PAINT IS BAD"

"Bought at 150k from a dealer neighbor. He gave me a spectacular deal ($3k). The paint of course, was not good, having been stored outside. All I've ever had to do to this car in 2 years was spend $50 and 8 hours on matching spray paint, got a set of 40k tires, changed the oil every 3k miles, except now I'm on synthetic 5w-20, flushed the radiator, changed the cap, changed the cabin air filter, got a new air filter, did the plugs and wires and PCV, bought a new battery... all that normal maintenance. NEVER EVER have I had any trouble with it whatsoever. Except I did have a broken front engine mount (a $13 part and 3 hours personal hardship for a job the dealer wanted $280 for). Not knowing exactly the maintenance that had been done at the big intervals, and knowing I want my car to last me for 3 years during law school with no major problems, I just changed the valve cover gasket, water pump, timing belt, PS/ac belt, tensioners, etc etc. Basically everything that can be easily reached while doing the timing belt. This car is the most reliable, best deal I've ever encountered; I wouldn't take $4k for it now and will cry when I get my first job in a firm and have to give it up. Except for the paint, this car is a 10+."

Great Experience in all catagories

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "Wonderful ride/dependable/great mileage"

"Great car -- I have done all the scheduled maintenance and had one $450.00 repair in 12 years, 28-30 miles per gallon, will get up and go when needed and not hard on tires."

Great Car!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "I wish I could fit three carseats in it."

"I have owned this car for 9 years and it has been the best car. It has never had any major issues and anything small, like a sensor, Honda has always replaced for FREE. I would highly recommend this car and Honda products. I am sad to sell it but I can't fit three car seats in the back."

Typical Honda!! Very reliable very dependable

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Runs Great, looks great"

Cons: "could stand new paint but not necessary"

"I have owned 3 Honda Accords in the past. I can't afford them new so I keep purchasing a newer model every few years. I have now purchased one 3 years newer and looking to sell this one. It runs great and still looks good. few dings in the paint but it is a 16 yr old car that runs perfect."

Great first car

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "great on gas, reliable"

Cons: "aging"

"This was my first and only car. Usually a teenagers first car is not the best but this Honda got me everywhere! Only issues I had where my transmission which I didn't have to pay for to be replaced. The check engine light stays on constantly but I think that's more because the car is old. The heat and a/c work perfectly."

No car can compete with Honda

By on Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pros: "reliable, dependable, efficient, durable, ..."

Cons: "There are no pros to my knowledge"

"I bought this car brand new about 13 years ago. It had a gas mileage of about 26-28 miles per gallon (city & highway combined) at that time. Today after 200 K miles of driving, its gas mileage is exactly the same and has never changed. When Honda built tho car, they used good quality components and state of the art engine. Even today after 13 years, it drives like a new car and I can not let it go; well, maybe i trade it with another Honda."

HONDA'S GREAT CARS RUN FOREVER IF YOU MAINTAIN

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Stong engine, reliable"

Cons: "NONE"

"I purchased this car with 170,000 + miles on it. RIDESIDE GREAT STIll . STRONG ENGINE! SOLID CAR. Just change timing belt when advised, do high milage oil change and you are good to go. YOu can't go wrong with a Honda no matter what year it was built."

Still going strong

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "road noise"

"We purchased this car one year used. It runs like a top and has cost us very little to run. It's stingy on gas, has only 2 little spots of rust, and even the cloth interior is holding up well. We finally had to replace the factory exhaust and shocks for it to pass inspection this year, but $800 over 14 years is still a fabulous value. It still handles well, and we feel very safe when riding in it. The only "issue" we have with it is road noise, but that is a common complaint among Honda vehicles in general. When we finally have to replace this vehicle, we will definitely replace with another Accord."

It's very reliable, comfortable , and very strong

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive and responds under any situations."

"in my opinion, this is one of the best cars ever made. for next versions, they should come with navigation system and back camera"

Love My Honda!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"I have owned 3 Hondas, a 79' Civic, 87' Accord and 99' Accord. all three have been great cars, they will run great as long as you keep up with the minimal regular maintaince. ( oil changes, filters, plugs ect...) the only thing that seems to happen after about 10 years is that the body tends to get rust. but this is not horrible just wear. the engine and mechanics of the care are still great! if you are looking for a reliable car with a great interior and great reliablity get a HONDA!"

GREAT Car

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Power, quickness, comfort, fun to drive."

Cons: "None!"

"Acquired the vehicle used in 2007 with 43,000 on the odometer (used to be the grandparents mobile until they bought a new Accord)! Only 65,000 total mileage now. V6 has PLENTY of power, strong acceleration, and braking is good. The car handles well in snow, and even at 13 years old it still runs like a champ. Only minor repairs thus far (new battery, headlight bulbs, taillight bulb, and new brakes and rotors). Starting to get some rust on the drivers side rear quarter panel around the wheel well, and the way things are going, the engine is certainly going to outlive the car's body."

Can't let go of this car.

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Easy on gas before it was cool, fold down seats."

Cons: "Letting go."

"People amaze me when they speak of their own vehicle with words like “my car is falling apart” translation: they neglected the car and they get what they get. After 362 K great miles I was considering swapping out the Accord. Had even been looking around to see what’s out there. I feel like a kid on the High Dive with a friend, who’s gonna dive first (this situation it’s my wife) who’s gonna swap vehicles first. She has a 1997 Honda CRV with 340K on it. We know one of us is due to trade out vehicles somewhere in the future; both cars have been garaged, no snow / no salt / minimal dirt roads. Essentially they look and run great. So WHEN do you know it’s time to let go. Had a previous 1986 Honda Civic Si, and at 350K I gave it away to a friend that needed dependable transportation. That’s probably going to be the incentive here again, not out of need to get away from a “money pit” but to give someone else dependable transportation. I don’t forgo scheduled maintenance and don’t let little repair gripes pile up and ruin my driving experience, take care of them before they become an annoying issue. It’s funny that I feel guilty by “looking” at other cars. I washed her this evening after the sun went down, the best time, and eased her back into the garage where she will be ready to ferry me off to work tomorrow like the previous 14 seasons. So I’ll go ahead and conduct my research and file it away till that day comes and I know when it’ time. They only major bill on the car was a transmission replacement at 340K not a problem."

Honda Quality, Complete Satisfaction

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Good value retention, quality craftsmanship innout"

Cons: "not a powerful motor"

"As long as you maintain it regularly, or at least usually this car will last you a loooonnnnggggg time. I made huge performance adjustments and it never gave me problems. Keep it stock, and the results will be even better. Treat her right and she will return the favor. I will probably never sell this car. Also gets really good gas mileage. BEST CAR I'VE HAD YET."

Can't believe something could be built this well!

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, reliability, all around practibility"

Cons: "not a lot of power, that's about it"

"I've had this car for almost 15 years now, and really I've only had to replace minor things. None of the vehicles major components have had any problems - tranny, engine, etc. Truthfully even components that you would think would of failed by now - starter, alternator, ac compressor, fuel pump, fans, wiper motor - have not. The transmission has never given me any problems (I change the fluid once a year) and I get about 29 miles to the gallon. I figure this vehicle has saved me at least 15 thousand dollars in gas, repairs, and insurance over the past 13 years. I'll keep it till it blows up, not sure when that will happen."

Best value ever, dependable

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "Dependable vehicle"

Cons: "Exterior paint is deteriorated somewhat."

"One owner. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. New timing belt at 212,000. Tires replaced 215,000. Garaged since 2002. Clean interior. Large trunk space. Good driving vehicle."

Exceptional Car

By on Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pros: "Holds value, very dependable, great gas mileage"

Cons: "automatic locks went out"

"I love my 1999 Honda Accord. This is my second Accord, and still have not had any major mechanical problems. I drove my first Accord to 204,000 miles before selling for a tiny bit less than I bought it for. Very smooth ride, great gas mileage, incredibly dependable, holds value very well. My only complaint would be that the automatic locks went out on two of the doors during my 5 years with this vehicle. The car is 12 years old, but that is the only negative thing I can say about this car."

Love it

By on Thursday, April 8, 2010

"I have an 02 and I've had it for 3 years now and previously I bought from my dad who originally bought it brand new. It has been an amazing car. The V6 V-Tec is fast, it's a smooth ride, Never have had a problem with it. The only things I have done to it is regular oil changes and new tires and brake pads, but other then that it has been so reliable. Even when you like to accelerate fast, you are still getting that great honda mpg. I would totally recomend this car."

good vehicle

By on Saturday, September 19, 2009

"its a nice car and i take good care of it and it does have a lot of miles its was like that when i got it from some one. i have 2 kids and one on the way and i need some thing bigger"

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

Best car ever owned

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Mine is a 2000. 9.5 yrs old and it's never let me down. Nothing has ever needed to be done to it besides rountine maintenance. We've changed oil every 3,000 miles and that's about it... Also, it's got the greatest engine....smooth and quiet with amazing pep. It really gets out and goes w/o any hesitation. I highly recommend this car."

Racy Coupe

By on Sunday, July 19, 2009

"I bought my '98 V6 LX coupe new in September of that year in Scottsdale, AZ - after a vigorous test-drive of the EX-L coupe in Orlando, Florida a few months before. The good: I was impressed with the performance right from the start; 200 horse out-of-the-box with no performance mods. I've owned the car for 11 years and have logged in excess of 200,000 miles. It's still fast, reasonably comfortable and economical to drive and maintain. The only maintenance I've ever had to do myself was regular oil changes with primo Syntech every 3500 miles. I'm still getting better than rated (27 mpg) mileage on the highway. I can get 31 mpg with extra air (38 psi) in the front tires, and if I keep the speed down to 75 mph. Remarkably, I have never had to have an air conditioner coolant refill/charge - and the car still pumps out cold AC - way colder air than my newer '02 Chevy Avalanche. The bad: I had only one mechanical problem to speak of; an alternator that quit at only 72000 miles. I had it replaced with a 'lifetime alternator' from Tire Kingdom, and it's still working fine 142,000 miles later. My car's speed-o and ODO was geared for the 16" aluminum rims. In trying to keep the cost of the car down below $20k new, I opted for the 15" steel wheels. This manifests itself on both; on the highway, my actual speed is about 4 mph less than what the speedo indicates, and therefore the odometer shows more miles traveled than I actually have. These cars have a fairly wide turning radius, so you're going to hit a curb-stop now and again. Be careful you don't hit it too hard, or you'll screw up your transmission. I hit one dead-nuts on coming out of the Mickey-D's drive-through one day. A few weeks later, when the tranny started to slip, I surmised that I'd torn a motor mount, and every time I accelerated, I was shearing the transmission away from the transaxel. The local Honda service shop manager wanted $250 just to put it on his 'computer' for a diagnostic exam. "Dude, just look at the motor mount!", but Mr. Expensive-wrench would have none of it. So, the car sat for nearly a year without being driven. Then, I took it to a local shop; a one-man outfit called 'All Transmissions by Billie Ray' here in Jupiter, Florida. Long story short; for $1200, he completely rebuilt the transmission, and I've since logged over 100,000 miles; and I'm still getting in excess of rated mileage, under the conditions I'd indicated. After 11 years, and > 200,000 miles, the car looks and smells like cr*p...and still runs strong. Tomorrow, I'm probably driving it upstate to a Honda dealer to trade it in on a late '05 4-door EX-L. It's a 40 hp boost out of the same engine block, and it's rated at 28 mpg under the new method published on fueleconomy.gov. It's got the same 3 liter engine that's in my '98, with a slightly longer stroke, so the car sits up a little taller than my '98. So, I figure if I 'up' the pressure on the tires with the 16" aluminum rims that I did with the 15" steel rims on my car, I should be able to get 30 mpg on the highway. And, now that we're in a family way and need to put a toddler in and out of a car seat, its a whole lot easier to do with a 4-door than my coupe. (In fact, it's a back-breaker putting a kid in a child-safety seat in the back of the coupe.) ADVISORY: The '03 - '05 sedans are superior to the '06 & '07 for a particular reason. Beginning in '06, Honda introduced the 'throttle-by-wire' system in these cars, which adds a little 'pregnant pause' to accelerations - sort of like a turbo pause. It adds 15 horsepower at the expense of 1 mpg rating on the highway. I don't like it because it's just "one more thing to go wrong", and it sounds like it'll be expensive to fix. For the extra money, you don't need the extra 15 horsepower...240 is more than enough for this family of 3. The built-in NAV system is nice to have, and even the older '05 knows 500 voice-commands. But, when you need new maps, an update CD will cost you $150."

Best Car I Ever Owned

By on Sunday, June 7, 2009

"I purchased this used '98 Accord about 6 years ago. In 11 years, it has only been in the shop ONCE, for brake calipers and a rotor. Very impressive build quality for a car of this class. After 11 years, still runs brand new. Great acceleration and handling. Only complaints are a few squeaks and some road noise above 65mph, and the stereo could use some more oomph. Every time I think of trading this in I scratch my head and wonder "why?""

Honda Accord EX V6 1999

By on Friday, April 24, 2009

"This is the best car I have ever owned in terms of overall style, performance, comfort and reliability. Even with over 100,000 miles my Honda can outperform any car on the road and look great doing it. I have replaced the installed sound system but the original was pretty great. Trunk is large and back seats fold down. Lots of space around the driver and passenger for CDs, papers, storage, drinks. Hope my Honda keeps going for another 100,000 miles!"

Good car

By on Thursday, April 23, 2009

"I purchased the 99 LX 4 cylinder, automomatic new in late 1998. Noticed quickly it was using oil. Honda would not do anything about it, because they said it was not using enough to be concerned about. Well I had no choice but to keep the car. It is now close to 11 years old, and I have not had anything else wrong, and it now has 132,000 miles. I have to put oil in, about a pint between 5,000 mile oil changes. I've only had regular maintenance--brakes, battery, tires, radiator flush, transmission fluid changed, timing belt at 100,000. It's not a really comfortable car to drive, but is economical. It only gets about 25 mpg city or highway. Guess I'll see how many more miles I can get out of it."